• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

NOTABLE! "Tell me the exact steps" (OK, here are all 67 of them.)

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by MJ DeMarco, Jan 24, 2017.

1. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $605
    Thanks, I kind of didn't see it. Next I need to learn what value can I add to people's lives in a 100% remote way? How can I reach these people?

Then why haven't I had my success already? I have been applying that process for years and I have not got results of one single penny to show for it (Can I cash in that garauntee? J/K) Seriously, though their must be something else going on. Is it a belief? Well, which one? Is it because I haven't found the right product(well I will keep looking,but I've not found much even on this forum) Is it because of my marketing skills? Is it because I'm not on social media enough ( how do I get an audience without getting drawn into the time wasting activities?)

I've given up TV( got rid of it) video games, fakebook, I don't go out in the evenings and weekends (what else can I give up?)

My daily one thing is find a way to value add, I never do. What's the point of building and creating things nobody wants? If I can't make a profit on one individual item,I can't make it up in volume.

2. Gepi

Gepi In it to win it Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $664
    What do you do right now, what is the goal of it? Could it be you are too vague in your ambitions? All I hear are meta-informations. You want to make money online. How? What is the first little step you took towards that today? If you want to get rich with a blog, the first step would be to set up a site and write a post, so you would see if people even needed that information. Or even simpler, write your ideas in a related forum to see if people wanted more of it. A few hours for priceless feedback!
    Or if you want to develop the new instagram, learn to program "hello world" first.
    Of course, the money comes later. Give first. But if you keep at it and listen to the market, it will come. Maybe you also lack consistency. If you failed your driver's license once, why didn't you try again? One failure is nothing. Success comes after around 67, as MJ posted.
    Greetings

3. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $29,331
    @LittleWolfie do you have a progress thread? not a rant thread. not a goal thread.
    something where you have done the following:
    - read the books
    - studied the forum deeply (not just made a bunch of 'why that won't work for me' posts)
    - run CENTS on several ideas
    - done some initial mkt research / sales work to get the 'echo'
    - have a pretty decent idea and the first few steps started

If you don't have all this together, quit posting about what doesn't work. Read, study, and actually run the analysis on ideas until one seems to have some traction. This may take 1000s of ideas to find one that gets an echo. Keep going. Don't immediately jump back to the forum and your failure loop discussion. Don't make excuses. CHANGE YOUR MINDSET. If something doesn't work, good. You are now closer to something that does. Study 'why' it didn't work. Rinse. Repeat.

Once you have done this homework, start a progress thread. Tag me (and others) in it and we will do everything we can to help you get rolling.

Dramolion, Late Bloomer, jpn and 2 others like this.
  4. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $605
    Yes, I have a progress thread, Happy to tag you in it. I have to admit I have not posted about the books I have read. Yes, I have done an analysis and most of them fit CENTS but are not viable for me right now.

I have got traction on some ideas, if you define success;

as a stranger clicked like on facebook, or answered my survey or had a whatsapp chat with me or I read a book, then yes 100% success. I could perhaps edit it to try and make it clearer, that the market is saying they don't want the work not me. It probably helps to read my intro thread first, then the progress thread. Perhaps I didn't title it well. However if it takes 1000s ideas to succeed, isn't the first ten failures progress?

I don't get sales or an 'echo', I can and I have done market research, but I had to slow that down. You could say I'm not failing fast enough.

In my study of 'why' what keeps coming up is the audience is too small. I've been looking into buying audiences online as a possible avenue.

Possibly my being too vague in my goals , is a problem. Maybe I'm doing too much of try it out,throw it against the wall and see what sticks, rather than constant progress. I have got a little traction on Reddit, posting things(I think blogging is probably part of my solution set, but not the whole thing) my blogs I tried, never got much interest. (Maybe if I had stuck with them(I found it hard to generate the content though) I can see how it could be part of some freelance type gigs (do the work then blog about it/industry and drive traffic/monetise.

I've been looking at how to find an audience. I've applied for a remote freelance gig with appen. I've requested the ID verification from nextdoor, so I can post my Resume/CV and say I'm looking for work., maybe they will be more effective for me than craigslist/gumtree/linkedin/upwork/fiverr/reddit/discord

I've been scanning those job boards as well. I've been reading some more on copy-writing too.

If I don't discuss my failures, how on Earth, am I suppose to improve? It's not about poor me, it's here is what I tried, it didn't work. Your thoughts?

Maybe, I'm not listening to the market. I feel like I have given a lot and success has not come. Maybe I haven't given a lot, maybe I gave to the wrong people or in the wrong way, maybe I never keep at anything long enough because I never see the money coming.Why not give to broke people, if the money will come anyways?

It would be cheaper for me to relocate somewhere, where I don't need the license in the first place. (The instructor quoted the price of make up lessons, I was terrible) that's much more practical and fairly commonplace. Germany has excellent trams in most small towns. (That's just one of the reasons I'm learning Geman (Germans were the best respondents to some of my survey's so learning German in order to sell to Germans seems a reasonable strategy.)

Yes, I have a progress thread, Happy to tag you in it. I have to admit I have not posted about the books I have read. Yes, I have done an analysis and most of them fit CENTS but are not viable for me right now.

I have got traction on some ideas, if you define success;

as a stranger clicked like on facebook, or answered my survey or had a whatsapp chat with me or I read a book, then yes 100% success. I could perhaps edit it to try and make it clearer, that the market is saying they don't want the work not me. It probably helps to read my intro thread first, then the progress thread. Perhaps I didn't title it well. However if it takes 1000s ideas to succeed, isn't the first ten failures progress?

I don't get sales or an 'echo', I can and I have done market research, but I had to slow that down. You could say I'm not failing fast enough.

In my study of 'why' what keeps coming up is the audience is too small. I've been looking into buying audiences online as a possible avenue.

Possibly my being too vague in my goals , is a problem. Maybe I'm doing too much of try it out,throw it against the wall and see what sticks, rather than constant progress. I have got a little traction on Reddit, posting things(I think blogging is probably part of my solution set, but not the whole thing) my blogs I tried, never got much interest. (Maybe if I had stuck with them(I found it hard to generate the content though) I can see how it could be part of some freelance type gigs (do the work then blog about it/industry and drive traffic/monetise.

I've been looking at how to find an audience. I've applied for a remote freelance gig with appen. I've requested the ID verification from nextdoor, so I can post my Resume/CV and say I'm looking for work., maybe they will be more effective for me than craigslist/gumtree/linkedin/upwork/fiverr/reddit/discord

I've been scanning those job boards as well. I've been reading some more on copy-writing too.

If I don't discuss my failures, how on Earth, am I suppose to improve? It's not about poor me, it's here is what I tried, it didn't work. Your thoughts?

Maybe, I'm not listening to the market. I feel like I have given a lot and success has not come. Maybe I haven't given a lot, maybe I gave to the wrong people or in the wrong way, maybe I never keep at anything long enough because I never see the money coming.Why not give to broke people, if the money will come anyways?

It would be cheaper for me to relocate somewhere, where I don't need the license in the first place. (The instructor quoted the price of make up lessons, I was terrible) that's much more practical and fairly commonplace. Germany has excellent trams in most small towns. (That's just one of the reasons I'm learning Geman (Germans were the best respondents to some of my survey's so learning German in order to sell to Germans seems a reasonable strategy.)

Sure, if I can't get past 3, I'm not going to reach 67 though. I know I need to learn why it didn't work and not make excuses. Now if you tell me your opinion on the 'why' that's much more likely not to be an excuse, and to suggest to me what I could do about it.

5. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $605
    Done. Anyone else interested let me know if you want and I will tag you in.

Of course what does not work for me, may work well for you, and conversely what doesn't work for you, may work well for me. It's whatdoesn;t work for me, believe me as soon as I find what does work for me, I will be posting about it(short of a big fat NDA payment)

6. Dramolion

Dramolion New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Why would it need to be a 100% remote way ? You re limiting your own possibilities with this kind of mind-set.
    You can be a dropshipper but you 'll only start competiting with all the other dropshippers, which is pretty much everyone and their mom.(yes everyone wants to make money with easy online solutions like shopify or cryptocurrency)
    Go find something in your local area that's amiss, or find something that's produced in your local area that you can export.
    Most of all, look for OPPORTUNITIES, and not for obstacles, other then how to pass around them.

7. Owlman

Owlman New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $63
    Yaa skipped the most important step, the 66th step when u look more like an idiot than anything else. At this point you might consider suicide, just for kicks

8. Dylan Hobrecht

Dylan Hobrecht Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $341
    Are you in the red or black. Mathew mconohaugh would ask that. Red means your in the negative, and black means the opposite! So act, fail, learn, and adjust on all your priorities-then ask if your in the red!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,053
    Go find a mentor they will help you.

10. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,147
    I bet if you list them down, and then write a paragraph below each one on why it happened and how you can avoid it again, it will help.

Start now, list your most recent/painful failure right here and together let's turn it into a lesson.

11. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,147
    Shoot, 3 years and I'm only on step 15, I'd better get a move on, time's a tickin.

12. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $605
    Because that's the opportunity I want, If I only require a laptop and an internet connection, I'm not limited by whats available locally. Why limit myself to my area? I can also overcome hearing and speech difficulties via text. I probably should have said text medium rather than online. Mail order catalouges would count too. My 2nd and 3rd and 4th and my fastlane might be entirely local and offline, but my first will be online.

The only thing produced locally is farm produce. Even the wonky vegetables get sold now, cuttings usually go to biomass generation.

well expenses are higher than income so red.

Working on it, I need to make sure they are willing and able.

Bless you, I actually started a thread on my failed executions prior to posting this. Up until your post, I would have said my biggest failure was convincing people to anaylse why it went wrong.

I've learnt that my writing tone may be the biggest issue for me, so now I'm working on that.

I don't know why though.

If I knew that, I would have learned from it. Why don't I have any monetized value add anywhere?

Roli likes this.
  13. Dramolion

Dramolion New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Hmm, my point was about entry;
    more people have a laptop + internet-connection then there are people living in your area.

14. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $10,147
    OK, perfect let's tackle things one at a time.

1. Not getting people to analyse why it went wrong.

A possible reason for this is simple formatting - I went to your failed executions post and you have stuffed everything you have done in there in a haphazard and unintelligible way.

Remember simple headers and well spaced (not too long) paragraphs make it easier for someone to read.

Also (and this relates to tone), you need to give a clear indication of what it is you want, both in the title of your post, and within the post itself.

Right, let's dive in.

You wrote - "Tried to get work building simple apps/software remotely (only get offers for free or commission, maybe in the future but that's not for me right now) can't compete on price on upwork etc."

Maybe you could change that to

Remote Work - Building Simple Apps

I have tried to get work building simple apps and software remotely, the reason being because [insert experience skills/value proposition, and summary of relevant personal circumstance here].

In order to make this happen I have used the following strategies:

1. Did XYZ

2. Did ABC

3. Did JKL

Results:

1. Got offered to do some free work from number 1 and 3 strategies

2. Got offered commission only work from number 2 strategies.

Conclusion:

My thoughts are this is a dead end, and I can't think of any more strategies in this area. However I'm willing to hear what you think about this.

I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.

-

So my guess is, if you went back through your failed executions post and formatted it in a similar way to this, you will get a whole bunch of educated answers on why your particular strategies may have failed.

Also as you're writing them out, it will help you to better judge what you've been doing and how you have been going about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if while you are detailing your process in this very methodical way, you arrive at your own conclusions as to why certain things aren't working, and possibly even how to change things around.

If so great, make those conclusions part of your summing up for the particular execution you're talking about, and ask for opinions on your thoughts.

Lastly change the title of the post (make a new post) to something along the lines of Need Help Learning From My Mistakes, or Need Help Analysing Failed Executions.

You get the idea, make it clear that you are going to list what you have been doing, that it isn't working, and you want help reversing that trend.

So in conclusion, you need to be clear with your questions, and you need to format your posts in a way that doesn't fatigue the reader.

Lastly don't use verbal shortcuts like; "...this could be a $20 million dollar rollup." As this isn't really clear as to what you mean and what possible advice you want from this.

Let's do another one, that was fun :)

Lee H, Ernman and Dramolion like this.
  15. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $605
    Perhaps we should move this, elsewhere so as not to hijack the thread? Then again, lots of great content in there for anyone else in a similar position.

Next (Kind of related)
    Need Help finding bad tone/whiny/negative/excuse-making complaining type content. My task is to take ten of these and rewrite them using positive-tone
    synonyms, then ask other people which sounds better

This helps me with empathy, detecting tones and writing with different tones which are all prerequisites of learning to sell.

16. Siberia

Siberia Surprise Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,210

Forget it's better.
    You do not need a mentor but a caregiver to help you do your homework.
    What did you understand?
    I said the lessons they give to kindergarten children at home.

17. Chandler Ruffini

Chandler Ruffini New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $42
    act.. fail.. learn.. adjust.. Repeat! Got it!

Siberia likes this.
  18. Dana Taylor

Dana Taylor New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $86
    I AM GOING TO MAKE 20 MILLION IN 12 MONTHS! LET'S DO THIS!

19. Mircea Toma

Mircea Toma Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $150
    I think that the best thing to do is to be obsessed with your process, your journey and act every day towards your goal. Never stop, attack relentlessly your goals until you get your desired success!

SamRussell, Siberia and Cody C like this.
  20. mercenariez

mercenariez Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $107
    This thread is bull. I made it to Step 67 and still no succeed. I failed again and again, first an e-commerce t-shirt store with my very own logo designed on Microsoft Paint, then a book I spent one whole week on (not one but TWO drafts), then a jewelry store on etsy!!!

Sure I skipped some steps here and there (“learn” and “adjust”??? C’mon I dropped out of college like Gates and Zuckerberg son, I’m a prodigy), but I was promised a Lambo at Step 67. Where’s my Lambo (red)??? I want a refund on this book (pirated)!!!

BlackMagician and Mircea Toma like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.