The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[MEGA THREAD] How To Build A Successful E-commerce Brand During A Global Pandemic. Step By Step Guide...

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Hey FLF!

I'm going to build a brand new e-commerce brand. I have zero sales, no list, no newsletter or customers to start with either. This will be built from the ground up with a new category/product, new store, new social media profiles, and so on.

Note - I won't share the website URL or social pages but I will explain in DETAIL how I'm doing every step. You'll also see revenue from inside the store too.

Here's the plan of action...

- Shopify: the theme is currently a work in progress and should be done this week.
- Niche: dogs because it's a global audience and dog lovers are super passionate. Plus, we have a product that's easy to brand, and its already selling on Amazon, eBay etc.
- Traffic: Facebook, Instagram, Google, Youtube, Pinterest, Snapchat, and TikTok ads.
- VAs will post content on the social pages.
- We have a photo/video team developing the ad creatives. I'll show you how to find services like these and for cheap.
- Klaviyo for all of our email marketing.

If you're sitting on the fence about e-commerce: follow this mega thread and get to work. You don't want to miss this once in a century opportunity because mom and pop businesses are crashing, employees are losing their jobs and most of your competition won't be able to make payroll for months. Now is the time to dominate with your next online business!

Make sure you follow this thread because I will be posting regular updates and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Super pumped!

Sanj.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Make sure you follow this thread because I will be posting regular updates and I'm happy to answer any questions.

You didn't mention supply/manufacturing in the OP. Is this something you already have this worked out? Or is that on the to-do list.

Looking forward to see what you build!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
You didn't mention supply/manufacturing in the OP. Is this something you already have this worked out? Or is that on the to-do list.

Looking forward to see what you build!

Yes, I'll cover everything.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Awesome thread! Excited for you.

Hoping you kill it with the new business and this doesn't turn into selling a course.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to start a new brand? With your skill set it seems like the EV would be a lot higher for you to buy an underperforming site and optimize it.

Or do you rather control the whole product from start to finish?

Best of luck @Sanj Modha !

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016

Hoping you kill it with the new business and this doesn't turn into selling a course.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to start a new brand? With your skill set it seems like the EV would be a lot higher for you to buy an underperforming site and optimize it.

Really interested in knowing the answer to this too, I guess he wants to develop the full experience based on his own concept of e-commerce, while you can apply that to another store I think it's much different when you get to choose 360 how you operate and grow while having zero surprises.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

Good question.

I want to prove a point (and make a lot more money in the process) that C0VlD-19 presents the biggest opportunity for e-commerce entrepreneurs if they TAKE action.

I did consider buying an existing site off the Shopify Exchange but most are dropshipping stores that have clearly died. I think it's better to start from the ground up so I can control the entire process.

We're not dropshipping - we're going to source products that sell and brand them. All shipping will be done from a 3PL.

Stay tuned!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I GUARANTEE that none of the e-commerce gurus will cover what I will in this thread.

And, it's all free content too. No credit cards necessary :)

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Really interested in knowing the answer to this too, I guess he wants to develop the full experience based on his own concept of e-commerce, while you can apply that to another store I think it's much different when you get to choose 360 how you operate and grow while having zero surprises.

There's always surprises - if things can go wrong they will go wrong but that's part of the fun.

I'll show you how you can deal with it.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
@Sanj Modha

Hey man, excited to see this new thread and your progress!

I was wondering how do you deal with shipping times and profit margins at this time with this new brand? The shipping is ridiculously expensive nowadays.

I am in the same niche and use 3PL as well to sell a branded product that I have. I sell it for about 17 bucks. After COGS - I am left with about 10 bucks to spend on ads, so the profit is almost non-existent.

So, what would be your advice for beginners in terms of the product price and desired margin? What price range would you suggest to choose for beginners when selecting a product to sell?

Obviously, right now the only way to combat slow shipping times - is to get stock and use 3PL, so that should also come into consideration. It wouldn't be wise for beginner to spend thousands of dollars on stock and fail at selling the product. It worked out for me, since it was only 0.80 cents per unit, and I make sales.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
exactly that's what I intented with surprises

Yeah, I think Shopify Exchange is risky since the public listings are shitty dropshipping sites and the best stores are hidden from view unless you make a bid.

Last edited:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
@Sanj Modha

Hey man, excited to see this new thread and your progress!

I was wondering how do you deal with shipping times and profit margins at this time with this new brand? The shipping is ridiculously expensive nowadays.

I am in the same niche and use 3PL as well to sell a branded product that I have. I sell it for about 17 bucks. After COGS - I am left with about 10 bucks to spend on ads, so the profit is almost non-existent.

So, what would be your advice for beginners in terms of the product price and desired margin? What price range would you suggest to choose for beginners when selecting a product to sell?

Obviously, right now the only way to combat slow shipping times - is to get stock and use 3PL, so that should also come into consideration. It wouldn't be wise for beginner to spend thousands of dollars on stock and fail at selling the product. It worked out for me, since it was only 0.80 cents per unit, and I make sales.

We have a deal in place with the supplier.

In this thread, I'll post videos and negotiation tactics that show you how to handle every aspect of owning and operating an e-commerce brand.

We knew our COGS inc delivery before even considering to launch this site because margin is everything.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
This thread looks great man, can't wait for more updates!

I was wondering if your manufacturer is in China?

Thanks very much.

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
I am currently awaiting my sample from my supplier and hopefully ready to kick things off soon with my store. This thread is going to be mega helpful for me. Can't wait to see this unfold.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
This thread looks great man, can't wait for more updates!

I was wondering if your manufacturer is in China?

Thanks very much.

Its made in China but we're not shipping it from China.

Last edited:

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
be interesting to see how you go about branding your products. Aliexpress suppliers seem to offer limited options to putting logos on items and the boxes but maybe I've just not looked hard enough for someone that would.

My supplier from Alibaba was more accommodating with my logo preferences even though I have to pay a fee. But that's for logo on the shipping box, logo on item, nylon protector (its a jump rope) and also a 'Thanks for purchasing' card inside. Without these things, it just doesn't have that premium and branded presence.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
be interesting to see how you go about branding your products. Aliexpress suppliers seem to offer limited options to putting logos on items and the boxes but maybe I've just not looked hard enough for someone that would.

My supplier from Alibaba was more accommodating with my logo preferences even though I have to pay a fee. But that's for logo on the shipping box, logo on item, nylon protector (its a jump rope) and also a 'Thanks for purchasing' card inside. Without these things, it just doesn't have that premium and branded presence.

I don't talk to Aliexpress merchants or sellers. I go straight to the factories and cut out the middlemen.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Update #1 - Still waiting on the theme to be built. We're about 50% done and I'm waiting on the product photoshoot. C0VlD-19 is delaying things.

The product image is your shop window. Don't cut corners and grab shitty pics off Aliexpress. Take the time to do it properly and build that bulletproof brand (your competition won't be able to touch you).

Order a sample piece and send it to a photographer. You can find photography services on Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr.

If you're really stuck - use Craigslist. We use Craigslist because broke-a$$ college kids never turn down the money and they do a great job.

Tip: If your supplier is in Denver - find a photographer in Denver. The product will get shipped much faster.

Ask the photographer to take 2 types of photos: 'lifestyle' and lightbox. Lifestyle photos are aspirational - you're not selling a watch. You're selling who that person becomes by wearing your watch.

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
It's always amusing when you see Shopify stores having a slick a$$ theme and logo then as you say, the generic aliexpress stock photos start to appear. Off-putting to say the least.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Update #1 - Still waiting on the theme to be built. We're about 50% done and I'm waiting on the product photoshoot. C0VlD-19 is delaying things.

The product image is your shop window. Don't cut corners and grab shitty pics off Aliexpress. Take the time to do it properly and build that bulletproof brand (your competition won't be able to touch you).

Order a sample piece and send it to a photographer. You can find photography services on Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr.

If you're really stuck - use Craigslist. We use Craigslist because broke-a$$ college kids never turn down the money and they do a great job.

Tip: If your supplier is in Denver - find a photographer in Denver. The product will get shipped much faster.

Ask the photographer to take 2 types of photos: 'lifestyle' and lightbox. Lifestyle photos are aspirational - you're not selling a watch. You're selling who that person becomes by wearing your watch.

This is kind of ironic and I won't hijack your thread. But I also started a new business during this time and it is also in the dog niche. Mine is dog collars (I think it's broad enough that I can give mine away). But I am going the exact opposite of you. I am going the 100% amazon route and no branding play. I just began my website, a one page html template. :) I plan on going the China factory shipped straight into Amazon's warehouse.

I also tried to find an existing website to purchase but there was nothing with any type of sales or traffic.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
It's always amusing when you see Shopify stores having a slick a$$ theme and logo then as you say, the generic aliexpress stock photos start to appear. Off-putting to say the least.

Nearly all the ecom bros run dropshipping stores. They can't do what I'm going to show you because they're lazy mofos.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
This is kind of ironic and I won't hijack your thread. But I also started a new business during this time and it is also in the dog niche. Mine is dog collars (I think it's broad enough that I can give mine away). But I am going the exact opposite of you. I am going the 100% amazon route and no branding play. I just began my website, a one page html template. :) I plan on going the China factory shipped straight into Amazon's warehouse.

I also tried to find an existing website to purchase but there was nothing with any type of sales or traffic.

You can test ideas on Amazon by using FBM (ship it yourself) since I think FBA (Amazon's warehouse) is very risky.

If it sells - my advice is to move over to your own store before Bezos launches his brand of dog collars. Remember, he's got your customer data which you'll never have access to.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

Images and videos do 90% of the heavy lifting so I'm surprised when I see great stores with swiped Alixepress photos. Heck, they even include the Aliexpress water-marks!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
As someone with a niche novelty-ish unique product idea, I’ll be following along.

Only difference is mine has to be designed and manufactured.

What’s your timeline looking like from idea to first sale?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.