The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Its time to pick up the pace

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

grdhood

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 25, 2016
Well Ive been inspired and have decided to try a little hustle with the hope that I can pick up the pace so that more income flows in. I'm already involved in property and it does supply a nice steady income at the moment. Thats not through skill but more because mortgage interest rates have been at a record low for ages now here in the UK. I'm not complaining as its enabled be to build up some reserve. I also still have a job but with these 2 income streams I'm still on the get rich slow path. It is happening but I'm 43 years old now and I dont want to wait until I cant enjoy it.

So I've been inspired by a lot of the posts and have decided to dip my toe in the water with the kindle how to publishing market. I'm approaching it as part of a 3 pronged attack in that

(1) I've started writing a series of how to books with knowledge that I've picked up over the years. 2 of the books will be straight forward and the 3rd I will need to flesh out and so I will require more research for that one. All books will compliment each other and I'd expect a person to eventually buy all three if they liked the first book they read

(2) I will have a website with more value added articles and a monthly subscription service for a high value digital item

(3) There will also be another website which will be my affiliate earner. Both websites will be linked in that the user of one will most likely want to go to the other.

So my 3 prongs are all interlinked and will be targeting the same market. They are are all relevant for someone looking for this type of information and I'd fully expect all 3 prongs to be of use to the same customer. I've never built a webite or done any form of online marketing before so its going to be a steep learning curve. However I know once Ive learnt the basics I can rinse and repeat in the future for more online businesses. I've commited to writing for an hour each morning and Ive already completed about 75% of my first book and 30% of my second book.

I'm about 25% finished on my first website as this seems slow as I'm constantly having to go on youtube to get instructions on how to do something. I could outsource this however I want to know how to do something first before I even think of outsourcing. I'm hoping that by 1st Jan 2017 I will be able to launch both websites and my first book. I will sell all 3 books on my website and then gradually release book 2 and 3 onto maazon kindle as well. This isnt set in stone and I'll probably do more research into how I will stage release the books.

Now I realise probably every man and his dog is publishing on amazon kindle but I'm of the mindset that as long as I'm pushing along on a path then other more profitable avenues will open up!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting. I've been asked by a prospective new client to help promote some of his published books.

I've been watching the videos at www.yourfirst10kreaders.com

My takeaways:

Put a free ebook up on Amazon and other places where there are a lot of people already searching for books (Amazon is the 3rd largest search engine in the world apparently - news to me).

If it's found (I haven't worked out this part yet), and gets downloaded, then have an ad at the beginning and end promoting another free resource at your website.

Some people will go to your website /page and exchange their email address for your second free resource.

Now they're on your email list and you can add value regularly, have them know, like, and trust you, and finally sell something.

I've not tried this at all, but it seems a sensible strategy.

Sooo... what do you need to create before you can launch?

Two free resources.

A landing page (not a full blown website) to collect their email address in exchange for your "lead magnet"

An email management solution with a welcome email that sends the second free resource. MailCheat(Chimp) is free for the first X number of subs, albeit without an autoresponder.

Oh, and prior to that you should work out who you're helping, what problem you're helping them solve, and how you can get in front of them.

Hope this helps. Like I said, it's not something I've done but I might be doing it soon.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
You've written that your website is 25% complete.
Do you make it from scratch(ie. html, css)?
If yes i would suggest you to look into Wordpress.org.
It might speed up process and there's plenty of help around for it.

Anyway, Good luck on your journey :)

grdhood

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 25, 2016
Andy Black: thanks for input and I'll look into your suggestions. I'm on a major learning curve at the moment with regards online marketing etc. Landing pages and lead magnets, I'm not sure what they are so I'll do some research to find out. I'm maybe already thinking something similar, in that my initial book offering on kindle will need an excel spreadsheet to go with the book. So I will be directing them to the website to download it for free, after they fill in a online contact form of course! So ill be able to build my list this way initially.

Kid: yes I'm using wordpress to build my websites. Theres no way i want to start learning to code a website at my age!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Theres no way i want to start learning to code a website at my age!

Why not? you don't have to learn everything about coding a website, but if you learn how to read it and then you'll be able to tweak it. You'll have a lot more control over your website and how it can function for you. Control is critical for your success. This thread is amazing if you want to learn about how you can develop your website.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wordpress and Optimizepress if you want to build landing pages yourself. $97 I think. I've used it a few times and it's easy enough.

Leadpages is probably overkill at $47/mth.

You could always pay someone to build a landing page.

As the business owner, your job is to work out what needs done and why, and not get too distracted by the how.

There's plenty of deep rabbit holes you could slip down, so try and remember who you're helping and what you're helping them with. This "hack" should keep you above ground.

Keep asking if you really "need" to do what others say you need to do - especially when you start Googling and downloading free eBooks in exchange for your email address.

Beware the slippery slope of "building stuff" and "learning stuff".

Check out the first video in the thread in my signature called "Learnings from 700+ PMs..."

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Big time victim of this myself! It took MJ's book, this forum, and this thread by @LightHouse to get myself straightened out. I'm still not perfect but I'm making progress on a daily basis.
Ah yes. You are not alone. It's a hard thing staying a producer - so many people out there are trying to turn us into consumers.

OP, you might want to check out this post:

And there's plenty of author/kindle/publishing threads in here written by smarter people than me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
It's a hard thing staying a producer - so many people out there are trying to turn us into consumers.

True in so many ways. The funny thing about becoming a producer is the fact that we are the ones that trying to keep those consumers hooked!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.