The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

EatMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Aug 28, 2018
In the book Unscripted , MJ DeMarco talked about a "F*ck This Event" (FTE) in which clarity hits you like a truck, and you're motivated to change and take action regardless of fear or social norms. I've never had this type of event, and maybe because of this, I'm having a real difficult time finding motivation/consistency in my execution.

I've been stuck in a cycle of lazing around, reflecting on my (lack of) work, hating myself, whipping myself to work hard, running out of willpower, getting burned out, lazing around, and repeat.

If I were to guess, a cause could be that I'm very comfortable living with my mom (without a job), so there's no sense of urgency, and I've never worked a full 9-to-5, so I can only imagine how bad it is from MJ DeMarco's story. Either way, please feel free to give some honest advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
On January 1, 2019 you have rent and bills due. Rent, your share of internet/cable, electricity, water/sewer, groceries, car insurance, etc.

What are you going to do about it? How are you going to come up with the cash?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
There is nothing wrong with being satisfied with life, whatever that life may be. "The grind" is not for everyone.

Having said that, personal development is a must for everyone. Keep reading books to make yourself a better and more rounded person. Start some cool new hobbies that will get you out of your comfort zone. Go try and meet people that will help you grow. No matter what your station in life, or your goals and dreams, trying to grow as a human is NEVER a bad thing.

By reaching, meeting new people, and getting uncomfortable, you just might find something that inspires you to do great things.

EatMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Aug 28, 2018
On January 1, 2019 you have rent and bills due. Rent, your share of internet/cable, electricity, water/sewer, groceries, car insurance, etc.

What are you going to do about it? How are you going to come up with the cash?

I've saved up enough money to pay for car insurance for at least 3-4 years, but everything else (food, electricity, internet, water, etc.) is being cover by mom who's letting me stay at her place for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Maybe you should think about why you even want to create wealth. It is hard to have an FTE if you've never worked a 9-5 like most people. It's even hard for you to even develop a sense of Self if you always live with your mom and have not ventured out in the world. Struggles build lots of character. And, also being in positions where you get no support help you develop resourcefulness. Also, consider your mom won't be around forever. I know so many people that leech off their parents that they absolutely have no adult problem-solving skills. It is better to learn this while young than being 30 years old and finding yourself shit out of luck.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
If you've never even lived out of home, and have no responsibility you will never have one. I am at home ATM but I lived on my own for a while as well with a former gf of mine and I have experienced how shit the script is, imagine losing your job with $3000 left in the bank and rent bills everything. It F*cking sucks let me tell you but I found a way. You really gotta move out otherwise you will always be in a bubble that everything will be easy when it fact life's F*cking hard. If I would have always lived at home I would never have had my FTE. Really makes you appreciate family and everything, you won't be a lazy prick around the house, you will help pay bills, dishes etc. If you new how the script was by experiencing it the fact you have it easy ATM wouldn't matter you'd still be busting a$$ like your life depends on it.

Step one get a job.
Always educate yourself, self development everyday
Go rent a house.
Experience the script.

Then FTE.

Every day now I feel my back is against the wall.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Unless you are like in your baby 20's you are just a live at home leech bum doing nothing in society.

Wait till ya got bills to pay like normal people and have a boss that treats you like ****

Only way to have a FTE kiddo

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
and I've never worked a full 9-to-5

Go get a 9 to 5. That will both reveal the "script" and give you a few FTE's in the process.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm very comfortable living with my mom

In other words, you'll never have one.

You can't have an FTE while living like a child.

It's like saying, "Hey, my 12 year old hasn't had an FTE yet, what should I do?"

Answer: Grow up.

And FTE requires that you live in the real world with real expenses and real life drama.

Work 50 hours a week and watch 30% of your income disappear and then later be told you have to pay $931/mo in health insurance for a shitty Obamacare Bronze plan. Pray for Friday to arrive only to be so tired and spent that you spend the weekend recharging only to repeat.

Sorry to be so blunt, adults get FTEs, children do not.

If you've never even lived out of home, and have no responsibility you will never have one.

+1

My advice? Get a job and get out in the real world to experience it for yourself.

We can't tell you the fire is HOT, you have to feel the burn yourself.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the honesty.

We hope we can help you transition to a new phase of your life.

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
I've saved up enough money to pay for car insurance for at least 3-4 years, but everything else (food, electricity, internet, water, etc.) is being cover by mom who's letting me stay at her place for the foreseeable future.
Have you considered paying your mom for your portion of rent, food, electricity, etc.? If not, why not? And it doesn't matter if she's independently wealthy or hasn't asked you to help. Do it anyway.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Have you considered paying your mom for your portion of rent, food, electricity, etc.? If not, why not? And it doesn't matter if she's independently wealthy or hasn't asked you to help. Do it anyway.

This.

You have to pay your own way this is non negotiable. And don't be a man child and let mummy do you washing etc, if anything you help them more, they are getting older and need your help.

Last edited:

pawon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 4, 2018
People are too honest on the internet.
I was just thinking... at least this guy is being very honest with himself.. :)

Eatman, I don't know how old you are.. but maybe you gotta think about WHY you are still living with your mom, maybe there's some deeper stuff there...

Plank

That's not sawdust.. it's Man Glitter
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Jul 20, 2016
Tennesse
Force it....
I have FTMoments monthly an FTE won't hit you, until its the very last thing you could want or need to happen...
It'll be when your least expecting it at the moment you think shit can't get any worse then whatever is going on then bamm.. It will happen then.. You will not be happy to see it.. you will look back on it like Jesus that sucked but it made me a better man..

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
FTE's come from pivotal life events or having suffered under the hand of someone else for years. You my friend have neither of those if you live at home and are taken care of like a toddler. Get a job. Get life experience. And thank your mother for putting up with you.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Your FTE can happen anytime, seeing your family struggling and hitting a point of supposed no return or anything like that. It could be losing someone, not being able to afford this ONE item that you want so bad but can't afford because you don't make enough money.
It could be when a girl throw you (FTE in Relationship / Hard lesson).

Wether you're living with your mom or not it can happen anytime.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Sounds like you have it easy and you haven't been hurt enough yet to kick your aspiration into action.

FTE's typically have a strong emotional attachment which kick people into action. Wanting to be rich isn't enough.

I suggest you get a job. If you want, go to a temp agency and find work for a few weeks. Then you will see what the script is all about. When you're working ask yourself if that is what you want for the rest of your life.

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
Sell coke.

Jk...unless you've got a good connect.

You want solid advice? MOVE THE HELL OUT.

2 years ago I was in a very similar boat as you. 24-yr-old pussy-chasing deadbeat from St. Paul, Minnesota. Chillin in the comfort of my parents' basement. I had a couple g's in my bank account. But ZERO direction.

Until one day I decided to GET THE HELL OUT.

I drove 24-27 hours non-stop to South Texas. And never looked back.

These days I'm fully self-employed, chasing paper 24/7. I pay all my bills, rent, etc. and make anywhere between $500-$800 a week. I grind like a motherfcker and love every second of it.

Like MJ DeMarco said (paraphrasing) find your tailwind. The thing that lights a fire under your a$$ to get you going.

For me it was the fear of becoming a washed-up, middle-aged nobody. Still swiping right and drunk messaging Tinder chicks in my mom's basement.

You say you hate yourself? GOOD. SO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Earn more than what you spend. Spend less than what you earn.

THEN PICK A PLACE FAR AWAY FROM HOME. AND MAKE A F*ckING MOVE.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
In the book Unscripted , MJ DeMarco talked about a "f*ck This Event" (FTE) in which clarity hits you like a truck, and you're motivated to change and take action regardless of fear or social norms. I've never had this type of event, and maybe because of this, I'm having a real difficult time finding motivation/consistency in my execution.

I've been stuck in a cycle of lazing around, reflecting on my (lack of) work, hating myself, whipping myself to work hard, running out of willpower, getting burned out, lazing around, and repeat.

If I were to guess, a cause could be that I'm very comfortable living with my mom (without a job), so there's no sense of urgency, and I've never worked a full 9-to-5, so I can only imagine how bad it is from MJ DeMarco's story. Either way, please feel free to give some honest advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Just wondering, what's your age?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Work 50 hours a week and watch 30% of your income disappear and then later be told you have to pay $931/mo in health insurance for a sh*tty Obamacare Bronze plan. Pray for Friday to arrive only to be so tired and spent that you spend the weekend recharging only to repeat.

what slowlaner these days only work 5 days a week? i'm working 6 days minimum with no choice, where is this slowlane wonderland you speak of.

SamuraiRod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Oct 29, 2018
I've felt the same exact way before... Lived in a good home, had good parents, no real struggle. I was scared of trouble but at the same time invited it to my life. When I got $1500 deep in trouble and had to shamefully ask my mom ( who borrows money from me ) to pay some of that, then the seeds of change began to manifest greatly. Along with a few other events.

But that's not you.

In addition to the other comments, I'd like to add something you might not have considered.

One of the fundamental laws of the universe is that every action leads to an equal and opposite reaction. Action is the only way to feel the dramatic and potentially life-changing reaction. Go get uncomfortable. There is always more to life and more to do beyond your current situation. Do more for the sake of doing more. Make big goals and focus heavily on accomplishing them. It's your duty to yourself and your family to evolve and grow, otherwise you wither and die.

Take massive action towards something. Your FTE will come pounding at your door when the universe realizes that you mean business.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Stop being an idiot. This is one of the dumbest threads I've see in awhile.

You either want to make money or don't. There's not going to be a checkbox you get to seek and cross off that gives you a burst of energy and motivation.

Be lazy and live with mommy, or find your balls and make money. Stop being an idiot and stop looking for motivation anywhere outside of yourself. You have the motivation within yourself.

If you want to make money and live a cool life then make it. If you don't then don't.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Seriously dude.

Set your alarm an hour earlier than you normally wake up. Go take a walk or run for 30 minutes.

Throw away all the food in your house. Go to your grocery store and shop the perimeter of the store. Nothing but meat, vegetables, seafood and nuts/seeds. All natural whole foods.

Go get a job. Fill out resumes. This will be your full time job. Personally go to places or call them. In fact, before anything get a job. This is your #1 priority.

Once you've gotten a job move out! Look for apartments to live at. Make appointments and check them out.

Go get a gym membership. Ask someone to help you out and start training with them.

After 3 months, go to your local mall. Ask any female associate. They will be willing to style you.

Get a new haircut at your barbership.

Read 1 book a month.

Start talking to at least 1 person a day. 75% of the conversation should be you asking questions and listening. Remember, FORM/FORD(Family, Occupation, Recreation, Motivation/Dreams)

I know you can do this! I believe in you!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
is being cover by mom who's letting me stay at her place for the foreseeable future.
at some point, you would be doing her a favor if you moved out of the nest.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
While I think I've confessed this in one (maybe both) of my books, I didn't move out of my mom's house until I was 25 (not 26 like I've said before).

However I would mention that I had a job -- starting at age 16. Always worked my a$$ off. Always had a job and earned money and paid my bills, car insurance, gas, health insurance, etc. I was always poking the box, learning, and hustling. In other words, I wasn't sitting at home playing video games all day while on welfare.

There's nothing wrong with living at home if your parents are amenable and you're HUSTLING.

The problem is if you're sitting at home doing nothing but striving for the next level on the latest video game. Unfortunately that's a lot of early-20's men/children today.

justacar

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
408%
Oct 27, 2018
The problem is if you're sitting at home doing nothing but striving for the next level on the latest video game. Unfortunately that's a lot of early-20's men/children today.

100% !!! Also, I know people in their 30's and 40's who still do that... by being in their comfy relationship & their 9-5 job. I used to be one of them (part of me still is... I'm beating the bastard over the head with a stick each day. it's an ugly fight).

If you need an FTE, here's one:

You will die.

Everyone on this forum will, at some point. Even you. Just think about that fact while you're staring at this screen, or later while you're lying in bed. If the fact that you, your existence will end, doesn't scare the shit out of you, then think about this next one:

Will you die, having lived?

If you consider lazing around living, sure. But there are so many places to go to in the world, so many experiences to make, so much stuff to create, to build, to do. You can't experience any of the excitement out there if you don't have the possibility to do so. Possibility as in financial freedom.

Trust me on this one: you don't want to wake up at 40, with half (or more?) of your life being over, your joints aching, your kid & spouse & parents relying on you, as you realize that you've really just been lingering on the sidewalk this whole time.

In other words...

Take a good, hard look into the mirror. That dude? He's a goner. Question is, do you kill him and build a new person? Or will he just keep existing until his time comes?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.