The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I can't stop! (Momentum is everything)

Anything related to matters of the mind

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
I'm addicted to writing code, reading about marketing, and going to the gym.
I can't stop working and learning... even when it's the weekend!
I am so insecure about my skills that I spend the majority of my time trying to improve them.
I can't stop eating healthy... even at Thanksgiving dinner :(.
I can't be bothered to spend more than a day away from the gym.
And instead of spending money on cool new gadgets, I spend it on boring things like web hosting, books, and weights.

I'm addicted to this lifestyle and every time I try to stop I can't! I seriously need to relax, and give myself a break. It's only what I deserve. But I can't break the cycle. I'm scared that if I keep at it, I won't ever be able to have student loans, obesity, excuses, or dusty gadgets from last holiday season in my garage. I can't even relate to my old friends anymore. I've changed, and it's awful. And the more time I spend in this cycle, the worse it gets. Help me thefastlaneforum, you're my only hope.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note, just a couple years ago I was spending my days getting trashed with substances, complaining about everything, making excuses, gaining weight and spending all my time and money on leisure. I was a typical sidewalker. I went to college for a year and worked my way up to slowlaner status. Just 6 months ago I turned 20 without much to show for it. I was putting in the average, and I was getting the average out.

Which wasn't all too great because technically, I was a year or two behind (in the slowlane). Around September I hit rock bottom. Long (sob) story short, me and my girlfriend had a big falling out, I realized I hadn't found a "job" even though I just spent a year in my life in college, and came to see that security was just an illusion for the weak. I realized adopting a slowlane mindset kept me mediocre, and being mediocre can easily breed negativity. My process was better than before but my life wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. It was time for an upgrade.

I started out (just a couple months ago!) by getting a technology certification I always wanted to get. I booked my exam and locked myself in Starbucks and studied until my back fell off from the coffee and leaning over. I got that certification and the feeling of expedited success felt amazing. I went and got two more certifications weeks apart from one another. I was now qualified for new jobs and more knowledgeable than ever before but unfortunately I was addicted to that feeling of success ;).

Since that first success I haven't been able to stop busting a$$. I get emotional withdrawals if I'm not spending at least 10 hours a day improving my process or working in it. I tried to relax over Christmas and do nothing but the addict in me made me learn the Android architecture and algorithm analysis. If this sounds like something you want, no matter where you are today, you can build up to it.

In the past two months
I got 3 IT Certifications, have nearly finished my first Android app, built and hosted an online resume I coded myself and all the while maintained a 3.6 GPA and spent on average 5 days a week in the gym, practically doubling my lifts and cardiovascular limits. I also read two (awesome) books on marketing and consumer psychology, finishing each within a day. Imagine what's going to happen if I multiply that process by the course of a year, or better yet, speed it up?

No matter where you are today, the absolute best advice I can give (with my limited experience) is to focus on your process. Dissect it hour by hour, day by day, week by week, and become obsessed with it. Build it as fast as you can and don't let the setbacks stop you. Eventually even the largest goals seem laughable, if you have the process to take them on. Build. That. Process.

The hours you spend in a day perfecting your process will dictate your speed in the fast-lane. Start tackling mountains the moment you read this and please... don't slow down to hang out with the slowlaners.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Keep it up my man! At great speed with great execution, its almost impossible to fail in the long run. Of course bumps will come and problems will almost always surface. Those bumps are for your competition to never see past. Adapt. Keep going. Dream big.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm addicted to writing code, reading about marketing, and going to the gym.
I can't stop working and learning... even when it's the weekend!
I am so insecure about my skills that I spend the majority of my time trying to improve them.
I can't stop eating healthy... even at Thanksgiving dinner :(.
I can't be bothered to spend more than a day away from the gym.
And instead of spending money on cool new gadgets, I spend it on boring things like web hosting, books, and weights.

I'm addicted to this lifestyle and every time I try to stop I can't! I seriously need to relax, and give myself a break. It's only what I deserve. But I can't break the cycle. I'm scared that if I keep at it, I won't ever be able to have student loans, obesity, excuses, or dusty gadgets from last holiday season in my garage. I can't even relate to my old friends anymore. I've changed, and it's awful. And the more time I spend in this cycle, the worse it gets. Help me thefastlaneforum, you're my only hope.

In my old age I can't easily detect sarcasm but I'm hoping it is.

One of the phrases I can't stand which I hear a lot from people is "Moderation".

Anytime you hear someone regurgitate "Moderation" just remember "M" is for Moderation as M is to mediocrity.

Moderation creates moderate results... moderate is in the middle. If you're interested in falling in line in the middle of the bell curve, go ahead, moderate.

I'm hoping none of us here are interested in being in the middle-- and the process you just posted is anything but moderation, it's obsession. And obsession creates obscene results. Congrats to you... wouldn't change a thing. :)

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
good point mj…
only time to use the word "moderation" is when engaging in such things as religion, alcohol, recreational drugs etc….

This is when moderation is key..

These examples are when i would use the phrase "everything in moderation".

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
In my old age I can't easily detect sarcasm but I'm hoping it is.

One of the phrases I can't stand which I hear a lot from people is "Moderation".

Anytime you hear someone regurgitate "Moderation" just remember "M" is for Moderation as M is to mediocrity.

Moderation creates moderate results... moderate is in the middle. If you're interested in falling in line in the middle of the bell curve, go ahead, moderate.

I'm hoping none of us here are interested in being in the middle-- and the process you just posted is anything but moderation, it's obsession. And obsession creates obscene results. Congrats to you... wouldn't change a thing. :)

Mark Cuban once said:

“Don’t start a company unless it’s an obsession . If you have an exit strategy, it’s not an obsession”

well , your description fits well in the meaning of the quote. ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.