The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I made my first $1 copywriting - with ZERO experience

Marketing, social media, advertising

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 2, 2015
Nova Scotia
This thread is really about how I made my first $300 writing copy.

Now, before I get into it, if you haven't read @IceCreamKid 's "Astonishing Secrets" thread, read it. It has way more information than what this one is going to contain. Also give @SinisterLex 's thread about copywriting a shot. You guys are legends in my mind and a huge inspiration to me!

What I wanted to share is my experience of how I went from not making anything to making my first buck online.

The SECRET is PROVIDING VALUE FIRST

Yes. That means not being greedy. Stop putting yourself first. Put others first and you will attract money.

MJ has said this a ton in his book and the above mentioned threads talk about it so I won't get into it.

The Process

I decided to embrace the process. Get ready for another secret. You might not like it.

The "secret" is its going to take work.

Stop being a wantrepreneur and become an Entrepreneur. Even if you aren't making money right away. Sometimes you need to do the hard work for free, to do the light work for money.

Here is what I did.

I taught myself how to write copy. I read a few books, practiced making sales letter, created a swipe file, and everything else you can find on threads here (or anything preached by Mr. Halbert).

Then I took Lex's advice and helped somebody without asking of anything in return. I looked over a fellow Entrepreneurs website that him and his partner just launched. The copy needed work so I fixed it for them.

For free.

That's right. I fixed it for free. I didn't ask for a thing in return but permission to use that said copy as part of my developing portfolio.

I took the risk away and added real value.

So what happened? You might be saying, ok you had no experience and you did this "job" for them. What was the result?

Their sales page started converting better.

Wow. Now THAT is what I call value.

I made those guys money without making a dime myself.

Feels good.

I will tell you what felt better. The referral.

My services were referred to somebody that could use the same service I had provided.

Long story short: I gave them a good deal based on what my time was worth less a discount for the referral.

But that's not fastlane!

It wasn't Fastlane. Not until I subcontracted somebody else to write the copy which I then edited. A 25 hour job turned into a 4 hour job and I only sacrificed a few scheckles.

Now, I am going to try to feed off this momentum and see if I can keep it up.

I will update the thread when more happens.

PS: this is my first post so if it belongs somewhere else I may need help moving it.

Peace and love,

PC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Awesome job man, I will be following this thread closely as I am on the same path to Copywriting as you are(though you're ahead of me), what books did you read?

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 2, 2015
Nova Scotia
Awesome job man, I will be following this thread closely as I am on the same path to Copywriting as you are(though you're ahead of me), what books did you read?

Luffy, I read CA$HVERTISING, The Boron Letters, Psychology of Influence, lots of Halbert's letters on Copy.

The things about the books is that they are no good to just read them. It is all about putting yourself out there and doing what you can. For me it was working for and extra 30 hours one week putting together everything I read and giving to somebody. Sure I did it for free but it paid off in the end.

How are things going for you? What books have you been reading?

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 2, 2015
Nova Scotia
UPDATE TIME!

LESSONS LEARNED!

Hiring a freelance copywriter to help you out is tough.

The reality is a lot of people don't want to provide real value but are still stuck in the Slowlane.They seem to treat freelancing as just another day job where they put in their hours and take out money.

Makes sense. That is essentially what it is but now they have some flexibility in hours, location, etc.

For my last job I hired a guy who seemed qualified, seemed like he got it, and seemed to have a good portfolio.

WHAT I GOT BACK WAS COMPLETE CRAP.

I opened the email with the writing in it in a small cafe and the smell of this copy basically stuck up the place. It was horrible.

HIRING IS DIFFICULT BECAUSE NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO PROVIDE VALUE.

They want to provide a little bit of their time for a lot of your money.

It doesn't work that way.

What I did was give the fella a second chance. Cause I get it! Maybe he wanted to do just a bit of work and reap full rewards. So, second chance he does a bit better. Send it back again. He comes around a third time. Tells me he got somebody to proofread everything.

It is passable. I put some of my own time into it to polish it, make it 150% better than it was. Really created some knock it out of the park copy.

Value bomb: Next time I want to erase "the me doing work" from the equation. I need to pay a bit more for a better writer. I need to hire somebody SMARTER THAN ME to do these things. Cause my time isn't worth doing his job. I can be spending it doing more productive things. Or at the very least spending time with my girlfriend and my family ie. things that I like to do!

So if you are about to hire a freelanceer, ask yourself: "Is s/he smarter/better than me at this particular job?"

"Would they do this better than I can?"

If they can't you are wasting your time, and wasting your money. You may as well have done it yourself and saved yourself the time and ice cream.

Not just correcting time, either. Time corresponding, going through drafts, hiring the guy, posting the job, interviewing, etc.

GOOD NEWS TIME!

The good news is that after I fixed everything to my standards. My clients loved it.

I am now their go to guy. Got another referral. AND they have other e-commerce business that need some stuff done. PLUS I have been talking to them about direct marketing so maybe they will want to do that in the future.

My first FREE client? They are launching another product next month. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will call me!

Any advice for getting these guys to come back?

Peace and love,

PC

Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Luffy, I read CA$HVERTISING, The Boron Letters, Psychology of Influence, lots of Halbert's letters on Copy.

The things about the books is that they are no good to just read them. It is all about putting yourself out there and doing what you can. For me it was working for and extra 30 hours one week putting together everything I read and giving to somebody. Sure I did it for free but it paid off in the end.

How are things going for you? What books have you been reading?
Thank you, today after all the wonderful replies, I have begun to do Gary Halberts 30 day challenge: http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm

So right now I'm reading Scientific Advertising, I plan to do everything he instructed in that letter. Of course, it will take way more than 30 days.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 2, 2015
Nova Scotia
Thank you, today after all the wonderful replies, I have begun to do Gary Halberts 30 day challenge: http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm.

The 30 Day Challenge is great. But depending on the gig you probably don't need to do it.

Practical, real life experience is more important in my experience. If I wasted time doing the 30 day challenge I never would have the opportunity when it came knocking.

I know you may want to validate your skills. But if you make it a win/win for yourself and somebody else you can do it that way. Offer your services for free to somebody in exchange for using it in your portfolio.

All that being said, The 30 day challenge is good experience from what I can see. Just don't get caught up in it.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
The 30 Day Challenge is great. But depending on the gig you probably don't need to do it.

Practical, real life experience is more important in my experience. If I wasted time doing the 30 day challenge I never would have the opportunity when it came knocking.

I know you may want to validate your skills. But if you make it a win/win for yourself and somebody else you can do it that way. Offer your services for free to somebody in exchange for using it in your portfolio.

All that being said, The 30 day challenge is good experience from what I can see. Just don't get caught up in it.
Tbh I would like to get practical as soon as possible. How do you suggest I go about the 30 day challenge?

Edit: I'm stupid, you already outlined everything I need in this thread, I'm going to do those things.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.