The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello to all current and future millionnaire entrepreneurs!

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Hi Everyone and Hi @MJ DeMarco ,

My name is Xavier, I’m a 37-year-old French guy living in Belgium. I almost finished reading Unscripted and this is how I heard about this forum. I am wondering whether I should read also Fastlane as in I had the impression Unscripted was a better version, more detailed version of Fastlane. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I am very thrilled to be subscribed to this forum. I was surprised there is an entry filter as in you have to state the reason you want to be part of the community. I found it great as it increases the odds of having entrepreneurial like-minded people that can help each other, which is the reason I joined. Bringing value to the world. This is a key lesson from MJ and it makes so much sense but so few people do it as it is just me-me-me. Not only in business, that is something I can see everywhere and I always felt the strange one as I always tend to want to help people. Not in the sense to sell them something, but just to help, make them have a nice day, bring a smile to their face. That makes me really happy.
The 2nd big lesson from MJ was the value of time. I rarely saw time as a valuable thing for me (for money of course)….and now I understand I was very wrong! 4 decades of work for maybe 2 decades of relaxation is clearly a (legalized) scam….Time is the much precious thing we have; we can die anytime. A big thank you to MJ for that!

Since the age of at least 20 as far as I can remember, I always had this idea of creating my own business but never really understood how. I had a passion with Japan at that time, my dream was to go there. I shared this idea with some friends of the time who all told me I was crazy, that could not happen, the filter to go there is too hard, and also because of this, because of that, bla bla bla.
I did not care, I really wanted to go there, and a few months later I was in a university in south of Japan as an exchange student. In retro perspective this was the first time I can remember I encountered resistance from others like to push me away from achieving my dreams because they could not achieve theirs. At least I felt it like that.

Fast forward to now I actually liked Japan so much that I lived there for 8 years, been a manager and lived towards the end in Osaka (those were 2 big dreams I had there), married a Japanese woman and had a child with her (another dream, but much easier to achieve hahaha). Now we left Japan and are living in Belgium.
Looking back I achieved many of my goals I had set for myself and I am very happy. Now the next one is actually the very first one I had as a kid: have my own business, change lives and those of my family for the better. While reading Unscripted , I feel I have some skills that could help me with being an entrepreneur. I am resilient, disciplined (this is strengthened by my profession, financial analyst), not afraid to take criticism (criticism is part of the everyday game in Japan as you are for them ALWAYS strange), but I feel I am like the idea guy MJ described towards the end of the book. I don’t know why but it is like I always have an invisible force that is doing everything it can to prevent me doing anything apart reading more and more…..
So I hope I can find here the force to unblock myself and finally make some steps to achieve this goal as I am confident I can do it.

Thanks for reading. I and looking forward to exchanging with each of you and help each other out!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017

My name is Xavier, I’m a 37-year-old French guy living in Belgium. I almost finished reading Unscripted and this is how I heard about this forum. I am wondering whether I should read also Fastlane as in I had the impression Unscripted was a better version, more detailed version of Fastlane. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I am very thrilled to be subscribed to this forum. I was surprised there is an entry filter as in you have to state the reason you want to be part of the community. I found it great as it increases the odds of having entrepreneurial like-minded people that can help each other, which is the reason I joined. Bringing value to the world. This is a key lesson from MJ and it makes so much sense but so few people do it as it is just me-me-me. Not only in business, that is something I can see everywhere and I always felt the strange one as I always tend to want to help people. Not in the sense to sell them something, but just to help, make them have a nice day, bring a smile to their face. That makes me really happy.
The 2nd big lesson from MJ was the value of time. I rarely saw time as a valuable thing for me (for money of course)….and now I understand I was very wrong! 4 decades of work for maybe 2 decades of relaxation is clearly a (legalized) scam….Time is the much precious thing we have; we can die anytime. A big thank you to MJ for that!

Since the age of at least 20 as far as I can remember, I always had this idea of creating my own business but never really understood how. I had a passion with Japan at that time, my dream was to go there. I shared this idea with some friends of the time who all told me I was crazy, that could not happen, the filter to go there is too hard, and also because of this, because of that, bla bla bla.
I did not care, I really wanted to go there, and a few months later I was in a university in south of Japan as an exchange student. In retro perspective this was the first time I can remember I encountered resistance from others like to push me away from achieving my dreams because they could not achieve theirs. At least I felt it like that.

Fast forward to now I actually liked Japan so much that I lived there for 8 years, been a manager and lived towards the end in Osaka (those were 2 big dreams I had there), married a Japanese woman and had a child with her (another dream, but much easier to achieve hahaha). Now we left Japan and are living in Belgium.
Looking back I achieved many of my goals I had set for myself and I am very happy. Now the next one is actually the very first one I had as a kid: have my own business, change lives and those of my family for the better. While reading Unscripted , I feel I have some skills that could help me with being an entrepreneur. I am resilient, disciplined (this is strengthened by my profession, financial analyst), not afraid to take criticism (criticism is part of the everyday game in Japan as you are for them ALWAYS strange), but I feel I am like the idea guy MJ described towards the end of the book. I don’t know why but it is like I always have an invisible force that is doing everything it can to prevent me doing anything apart reading more and more…..
So I hope I can find here the force to unblock myself and finally make some steps to achieve this goal as I am confident I can do it.

Thanks for reading. I and looking forward to exchanging with each of you and help each other out!!

Welcome and wishing you all the best in your journey!

Feel free to start a thread about your (future) business if you already believe you know what you want to get into. It's a great way to get feedback from others who may have gone down a similar path.

At 37, you still have a lot of time to make your dreams a reality.

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Welcome and wishing you all the best in your journey!

Feel free to start a thread about your (future) business if you already believe you know what you want to get into. It's a great way to get feedback from others who may have gone down a similar path.

At 37, you still have a lot of time to make your dreams a reality.
Hey Smark, thanks!

I don't really know yet what I want to get into....Still in market's listening mode.

Thanks for the nice words, I sometimes do think I am a bit late in the game. But better late than never!

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Smark, thanks!

I don't really know yet what I want to get into....Still in market's listening mode.

Thanks for the nice words, I sometimes do think I am a bit late in the game. But better late than never!

It's never too late.

Warren Buffet didn't become a billionaire until age 60.

Ray Kroc was just a salesman (and a bad one at that) by his early 50s before he got involved with McDonald's.

Numerous examples illustrate the above point.

Also, no one knows what to get into. Not until they actually do at least.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012

Hey @Xav243

Like many others here, I've also struggled with finding and executing on ideas. I'd start with the existing knowledge and interests you have. You're a financial analyst, maybe you can teach others or share your opinions on a channel? You can also look into skills that you want to learn and take it from there.

Gina H.

I help virtual assistants get HIRED.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA

Thanks for sharing the link to this! Looks like you've been here close to a year – have you figured out your biz idea yet? If so, what are you working on?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello @Xav243 -- looks like I missed your intro. Welcome, a bit late. Curious, did you ever get started on something?

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Hey @Xav243

Like many others here, I've also struggled with finding and executing on ideas. I'd start with the existing knowledge and interests you have. You're a financial analyst, maybe you can teach others or share your opinions on a channel? You can also look into skills that you want to learn and take it from there.
Hi @Hassan , thanks for the comment.
Yes I thought about doing some finance coaching or create a blog with some courses on VBA as through my job and my will to always want to improve things, to automatize I forced myself to learn VBA. I am still amazed on how unefficiently people use Excel and the poor knowledge they have on it.
For idea #1 the biggest problem I see is that it looks very much like a job proxy, i.e. the amount of money I would make is still tied to the time I can dedicate to customers. I would provide value for sure, but I can't scale the business nor makes it work for me 24/7.

Idea#2 solves the time and scale problem. Needs is questionnable to some extent. And competition is fierce. The ratio need vs competition is quite low to my impression.
So not sure it is worthwhile pursuing as competition knows muuuuuch more about their craft than me on Excel/VBA.

I am not a big fan of looking into my existing knowledge because that would immediatly limit my universe and attack things from the angle of "what I can do" vs "what people needs". I am fine with learning in order to provide to people.
The good thing is I can know quite fast if a project makes financially sense or not before starting it.
I also usually have quite some ideas coming to me but most of the time I search to see if there is competition and then I get discouraged, like I feel it will not work etc... and this despite having read posts of some great contributors here like Vick, Biophase etc...
I guess I need to work more my mindset

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Hello @Xav243 -- looks like I missed your intro. Welcome, a bit late. Curious, did you ever get started on something?
Hi @MJ DeMarco , @Gina H.

Thanks for the welcome @MJ DeMarco . (by the way your last book is awesome. I liked that you approached meditation and happiness with living in the now, it really moved me)

I am combining the reply to both of you as the question is the same.

Yes I was to start a candle business with a friend but we stopped before launching it. I was getting overwhelmed by my job and could not focus on anything (I eventually burned out last month and I am now on medical leave by the doctor).
I spent also quite some time reviewing businesses to be bought online but either it is affiliation websites, dropshipping or they are out of my budget (like more than $400k).
In the meantime since pre pandemic era I started to learn professional way to invest and since Jan 2021 I could grow my capital by 200%. I am contemplating pursuing trading (not the FX or day trader scam more the professional way like JP Morgan etc) and in 2-3 years start a hedge fund. I am wondering though if trading can be a fastlane business in regards to the CENTS framework. I will open a post to gauge opinion on that

I am dead scared to be honest but this burn out was a hell of an FTE for me. I am trying to approach fear as adviced by @Black_Dragon43 here

Thanks for asking!

Gina H.

I help virtual assistants get HIRED.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Hi @MJ DeMarco , @Gina H.

Thanks for the welcome @MJ DeMarco . (by the way your last book is awesome. I liked that you approached meditation and happiness with living in the now, it really moved me)

I am combining the reply to both of you as the question is the same.

Yes I was to start a candle business with a friend but we stopped before launching it. I was getting overwhelmed by my job and could not focus on anything (I eventually burned out last month and I am now on medical leave by the doctor).
I spent also quite some time reviewing businesses to be bought online but either it is affiliation websites, dropshipping or they are out of my budget (like more than $400k).
In the meantime since pre pandemic era I started to learn professional way to invest and since Jan 2021 I could grow my capital by 200%. I am contemplating pursuing trading (not the FX or day trader scam more the professional way like JP Morgan etc) and in 2-3 years start a hedge fund. I am wondering though if trading can be a fastlane business in regards to the CENTS framework. I will open a post to gauge opinion on that

I am dead scared to be honest but this burn out was a hell of an FTE for me. I am trying to approach fear as adviced by @Black_Dragon43 here

Thanks for asking!
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you've made progress, even if it isn't how you set about it. FTE's are a good thing, even though they're painful. Keep up the forward momentum!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...