The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you want to learn more, or earn more?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you want to learn more, or earn more?
(Inspired by this post.)

Are you too focused on learning for the sake of learning?

Do you want to:

A) Learn business and marketing?

B) Get paid to help or entertain people?​

Successful business people are lifelong students

They're always learning.

They learn what's needed to solve the problem in front of them, at the time they need it.

They are results focused, and the results they're focused on is to serve their market and customers better, and to get paid more for doing so.

Why are you a lifelong student of business and marketing?

Do you just like learning stuff?

Or are you focused on the results you can achieve from learning more?

Are you better trying to serve your market and customers?

What result are you focused on?

WHO are you trying to help?

WHAT are you trying to help them with?

WHY do they need your help?

Are you trying to help homeowners who are locked out of their house to find a local locksmith? Are you simultaneously trying to help locksmiths get found by local people locked out of their house?

If those are the results you're trying to achieve, then you'd take the actions necessary to get the results, and not worry about whether you're "doing" copywriting, social media, paid search, etc.

Are you too preoccupied with the tools?

... and not with the results you're trying to achieve?

I can understand learning business as an academic subject if you're in college studying business or marketing, or if you want a job in someone's marketing department.

If you want to run a business though, would you be better thinking less academically about business and marketing and focus on doing whatever it takes to get and retain customers?

All we need to be in business is a customer.

All you need is someone who will pay you to solve their problems or entertain them.

It's really that simple.

I can picture a young lad knocking on doors asking to mow the lawn or clean the windows.

He hasn't over-complicated it.

He hasn't treated it as an academic challenge.

He likely thinks "traffic" is what he has to avoid when he crosses the road.

He likely wonders how to get his lawn mowing service in front of locals on Facebook, but is just going to do it instead of take a course on "Social Media Marketing".

He's likely never heard of "Social Media Marketing".

His goal is simply to find people he can help, and to get paid for helping them.

He'll do whatever is needed to achieve this goal.

What's your purpose?

Ask yourself WHO you're trying to help, WHAT you're trying to help them with, and WHY they need your help.

Worry less about HOW you're going to do it.

Do what's necessary, and at the time you need to do it. (And don't worry what label other people put on it, or what they think about it.)

Treat business less as an information-gathering academic exercise

... and more as an action-taking wisdom-earning journey.

Hope that helps.

Further reading:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The advice applies whether you want to "learn" social media marketing or "do" social media marketing.

You're not "doing" social media marketing, you're trying to help people. If social media marketing isn't the best or only way to help people, should you keep doing it?

Who are you trying to help?

What are you trying to help them with?

Why do they need your help?

Where can you find them, or be found by them?

Work those out first, before deciding HOW you're going to reach and help them.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Blimey. This just popped up on my radar because someone Liked it (thanks @Roz). I can't remember even writing it. I sure do sound like a stuck record...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Too freaky Andy, just too damn freaky. I was just thinking about 10 minutes ago..... all of these things that people are reading about and they spend all of their time reading about them and not DOING anything. Personally, I learned a little and then started a business.... then I learned as I went and read and read and read. It seems as though lots of people want to learn and learn and learn but never put that to use. Where ever you are at TODAY.... right this minute.... STOP IT! Stop reading.... stop learning!

Now go start your business. 5 days after your business is up and running, start reading and learning again. Other wise you will always be a broke learner who likes to read. And if I didn't say to wait 5 days you might put a half@ss effort in to starting just to get back to learning.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Too freaky Andy, just too damn freaky. I was just thinking about 10 minutes ago..... all of these things that people are reading about and they spend all of their time reading about them and not DOING anything. Personally, I learned a little and then started a business.... then I learned as I went and read and read and read. It seems as though lots of people want to learn and learn and learn but never put that to use. Where ever you are at TODAY.... right this minute.... STOP IT! Stop reading.... stop learning!

Now go start your business. 5 days after your business is up and running, start reading and learning again. Other wise you will always be a broke learner who likes to read. And if I didn't say to wait 5 days you might put a half@ss effort in to starting just to get back to learning.
Maybe Andy wired your house. XD

Great points Andy.

Hopeful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 8, 2019
Ask yourself WHO you're trying to help, WHAT you're trying to help them with, and WHY they need your help.

Before I read TMF , I read a book called Building a StoryBrand. It helped me get into this mindset. Anyone else here read it? It teaches you how to cast the customer as the hero in all your marketing materials, not yourself or your brand.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Before I read TMF , I read a book called Building a StoryBrand. It helped me get into this mindset. Anyone else here read it? It teaches you how to cast the customer as the hero in all your marketing materials, not yourself or your brand.
Funnily enough I’m in the first chapter of that book.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Tell me what you think when you get further into it! I feel like I understood TMF better b/c I'd read StoryBrand first.
I actually just put it down and picked up an email marketing book because that’s what I’m working on next week. (Got to take my own medicine right?)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.