The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can i copy an idea that will be on Kickstarter but not yet on the market ?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Hi everyone,

As the title is telling, i saw a guy developping a new product for the fitness industry, that no one as thought about before, but that product is not yet on kickstarter or any website, he just has done promotionnal videos of it.

What i'm asking you is, as the product is not out there yet, do i risk anything by copying it and put it on the market if he don't ?

I was also and mostly thinking about the fact that he could have protect the idea...any thought about this ?

Btw, i'm talking about taking actions while he seems to not take any.

Thanks for taking the time,
Alessio.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Could you? Maybe.

Should you? Well, that's another question entirely.
It's a risk, but damn it's so simple to build and will do so much sales..i'm searching for an alternative of what he made and copy the principle on an other equipment.

Your reputation.
The guy has created an IG/Facebook account but don't seems to be making that much ads..or maybe he is waiting to launch the kickstarter campaign..in 26 days as his website shows..

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Not all kickstarter campaigns are successful.

You think it's a great idea (and maybe it is), but if it fails, do you think it's lack of traffic or lack of an idea that the market wants?

I made the mistake once (probably many times) of creating something that I thought people wanted. Maybe they did. But there was no way to know who (age, sex, interests, etc.) or the buying motivators for purchasing it.

It makes things much more difficult. It's easy to come up with an idea, but hard to sell.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Like @JAJT said, it's your reputation on the line. There's always the ethical question to grapple with.

But we also preach here that it's the execution not the idea.

Here's what I would do. Wait the 26 days to see if it goes on Kickstarter. Watch the KS and see if he validates demand.

If he never gets to KS, he probably will never act on it. At that point, Id explore the idea, but by making it my own,not a direct copy. Also, search for patents too.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
If you will have first movers advantage go for it.

If you won't, let the other company take all the arrows in the back and then improve upon what they did wrong and copy what worked

The Half-Truth of First-Mover Advantage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes, but if i do that, if they've secured the idea, they won't allow me to upgrade it and they will sue me for trying to...?
Actually it's kind of simple to upgrade the tool in itself...so even if they take all the arrows in the back as you said, they would correct their mistakes in no time..OR maybe i wait for this moment and rise from nowhere with a better product and better marketing when they will have difficulties with their reviews

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Like @JAJT said, it's your reputation on the line. There's always the ethical question to grapple with.

But we also preach here that it's the execution not the idea.

Here's what I would do. Wait the 26 days to see if it goes on Kickstarter. Watch the KS and see if he validates demand.

If he never gets to KS, he probably will never act on it. At that point, Id explore the idea, but by making it my own,not a direct copy. Also, search for patents too.
I'll do that, great advice Scot.

But even if they don't go to the final product and don't raise the money, i do think that the guy have protected his idea and by that fact i won't be able to sell anything because it's his idea..
TBH, even if i'm 100% with ethic and would be angry because someone stole my idea..if that someone don't take action or can't get the money, i'll go for it.
(Any person who do fitness/workout would use his product, even from home.)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is this an existing product in the market or this entrepreneur's new idea?
If it's their new idea - just leave it alone and move on man.

It's beyond douchey to try and be a first mover on an idea that you stole from someone else.
There's no "grey area" about it - it's deplorable.

Also - are you trolling kickstarter for ideas to be a first mover on, or did you just happen to stumble upon this one thing by happenstance?
If you are trolling for ideas to steal - stop that.
It's a shitty thing to do.

However, regardless of the above, the outcome still won't be as "above board" as coming up with your own damn thoughts and ideas though.

Even if you saw this by chance, and it's an existing product from another market, your entrepreneur story is STILL going to be "I saw this other person about to launch a really cool idea and thought to myself 'I could totally F*ck them' and then I totally F*cked them".

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Is this an existing product in the market or this entrepreneur's new idea?
If it's their new idea - just leave it alone and move on man.

It's beyond douchey to try and be a first mover on an idea that you stole from someone else.
There's no "grey area" about it - it's deplorable.

Also - are you trolling kickstarter for ideas to be a first mover on, or did you just happen to stumble upon this one thing by happenstance?
If you are trolling for ideas to steal - stop that.
It's a shitty thing to do.

However, regardless of the above, the outcome still won't be as "above board" as coming up with your own damn thoughts and ideas though.

Even if you saw this by chance, and it's an existing product from another market, your entrepreneur story is STILL going to be "I saw this other person about to launch a really cool idea and thought to myself 'I could totally F*ck them' and then I totally F*cked them".
I was only searching on IG for inspiration in the fitness industry as it's a massive market, i don't use my time to stole other people ideas.
TBH i just had the idea by searching things on IG Fitness account, then i thought that it was a cool idea and saw that someone was starting the project on google/fcb but don't do massive actions about it...

I would prefer to come up with my own idea for sure.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So many people to help out there and so little time.

Why pick someone else's idea?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You'd be surprised and how much ethics you can deposit into a bank account!! :smile2:
^^^ This.

Ever heard the phrases/sayings:

"People buy from people."

"How you do anything is how you do everything."

"Money is proof you helped your fellow man."

"Give and you shall receive."

Don't steal someone's idea and be first to market on it. If you don't see what's wrong with that then you're maybe too far down the slippery slope already.

Engage your market and find out what they need, and what you can help them with.

Find out how to reach them. How to sell to them. How to turn them into raving fans so you get repeat business and referrals.

There's so much more to do than having a great idea, so why not start from the right place?

PS: What do you think this thread is doing for you in the forum? And those arguing for it?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I would prefer to come up with my own idea for sure.

You are copying someone else's exam answers and you don't even know if they studied.

Now you have to wonder what they based their product on and if it is even a sound idea.

You don't know anything about their process and what lead them to think that particular idea was a good idea. Maybe they spent years on it or maybe they just came up with it a week ago. So you are betting your time and money on someone else having done the work. And ethically it is a douche move too.

Much better to do the process yourself so you actually know WHY instead of HOW.
If you rip an idea and it sells without any work done expect people to steal it from you also.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Vigilante has a great story of starting a business venture without doing the proper research. One of his only pleasures was seeing all the copycats crash and burn as he had.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
You are copying someone else's exam answers and you don't even know if they studied.

Now you have to wonder what they based their product on and if it is even a sound idea.

You don't know anything about their process and what lead them to think that particular idea was a good idea. Maybe they spent years on it or maybe they just came up with it a week ago. So you are betting your time and money on someone else having done the work. And ethically it is a douche move too.

Much better to do the process yourself so you actually know WHY instead of HOW.
If you rip an idea and it sells without any work done expect people to steal it from you also.
They based their product on a problem we all have at the gym, something we complain about every time.
It's made of wood and plastic so it's not a piece of engineering; just a gym tool.

But i agree on the douche move.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was only searching on IG for inspiration

I'd caution against this.

In too many cases the only difference between "inspiration" and "stealing" is whether you're talking to the person who was "inspired" or the person who was "stolen" from.

Inspiration should come from your experiences and where you think you can add value. From those days when you say "I wish someone would just... oh wait, I can do that". Or looking at a market you know nothing about and seeing something that solves a problem in a market you do know a lot about. It's combining new ideas with your personal experience and having a eureka moment.

Inspiration doesn't come from looking at what everyone else is doing in the field you want to get into. Looking at other people's ideas is just a really, really good way to get very excited about ideas that aren't your own that you know you shouldn't copy. It just makes you think "I wish I thought of that" a million times until you are frustrated and convinced no new ideas exist.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
PS: What do you think this thread is doing for you in the forum? And those arguing for it?
You mean reputation ?
If that guy don't take action on his idea (if ever he don't), why would i don't take them myself these actions and create that product if it help people or even for me ?
And by don't taking actions i mean if this guy don't create a KS page and say that he drop the project on his Facebook page ?
I'm for ethic, but if he drop his project, why not doing it ?

Last edited:

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
I'd caution against this.

In too many cases the only difference between "inspiration" and "stealing" is whether you're talking to the person who was "inspired" or the person who was "stolen" from.

Inspiration should come from your experiences and where you think you can add value. From those days when you say "I wish someone would just... oh wait, I can do that". Or looking at a market you know nothing about and seeing something that solves a problem in a market you do know a lot about. It's combining new ideas with your personal experience and having a eureka moment.

Inspiration doesn't come from looking at what everyone else is doing in the field you want to get into. Looking at other people's ideas is just a really, really good way to get very excited about ideas that aren't your own that you know you shouldn't copy. It just makes you think "I wish I thought of that" a million times until you are frustrated and convinced no new ideas exist.
Got it, thanks.
I do think these eureka moments could also appears while browsing the web/IG feed...but mostly by being in the field.
Btw, i'm just a 20yo young men trying to create something, if that guy don't pursue his project, i will try to because at least it would help me at the gym.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Chinese are already doing this:

Your brilliant Kickstarter idea could be on sale in China before you’ve even finished funding it

This 24-year-old made $345,000 in 2 months by beating Kickstarters to market

China is Now Stealing Ideas Off Kickstarter and Launching Them Faster and Cheaper

Personally I wouldn't do this because if you can compete, then anyone can compete, and you essentially have a low entry high competition business. Ethically, I don't see much difference between this and people that take someone else's Amazon product and improve it.

Is it legal? Yeah. Is it ethical? That's a question for you to answer.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
Ok nevermind, I just saw that the person who wants to create this project actually copies a person who has already started and created the product.

FYI :
Original creator (inventor of the AB Wheel) : Stealth Trainer - The Ultimate Planking Device
Kind of copycat : Plankpad - Strong Core, 6-Pack Abs & No Back Pain while Playing a Game

Okay OP, I've got an idea for you to riff on this product if you really want to without straight out copying it.

Smaller market, but passionate people and affluent generally speaking.

Swimmers.

I was actually trying to dream up a device like this recently that would help me focus on my core, on dryland, to get my freaking legs up.

You see, I'm a runner historically. My legs are dense. So when I swim they sink like stones which slows me down. I've been swimming for almost 8 years now and still have drag issues so clearly just swimming isn't helping. If you can put together a product that's swim specific dryland work to help me improve my body position I'd buy it. If you could also make it couple up with a dryland swim workout style machine like the vasa trainer at a more competitive price, I'd be interested in that too.

Your sales copy can include case studies about how swimmers/triathletes used it over X months and improved their average 100m swim time by Y.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Hi everyone,

As the title is telling, i saw a guy developping a new product for the fitness industry, that no one as thought about before, but that product is not yet on kickstarter or any website, he just has done promotionnal videos of it.

What i'm asking you is, as the product is not out there yet, do i risk anything by copying it and put it on the market if he don't ?

I was also and mostly thinking about the fact that he could have protect the idea...any thought about this ?

Btw, i'm talking about taking actions while he seems to not take any.

Thanks for taking the time,
Alessio.
You can if you want to. Once read about someone who made a business model of doing this.

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but apparently there is lots of copying coming out of Shenzhen as well:

Your brilliant Kickstarter idea could be on sale in China before you’ve even finished funding it

These guys did something similar on a much larger scale by allowing others to validate the business model and relying on their ability to execute:

Germany's Samwer Brothers To Become Billionaires With Rocket Internet IPO

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!