The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Applying aviation principles to business

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
Throughout my career as an airline pilot, I have learned many things about the importance of procedures, checklists, leadership, communication, prioritizing, stress management and decision making among a pile of other lessons learned formally or through on the job experience. When venturing into various businesses (holiday rental management, product development, ecom, interior design firm) I have instinctively applied these same principles I use on the flight deck. When I started talking to other business owners about this, it quickly became apparent that this method was appealing to non-pilots as well and was something they lacked within their own operation. I then tested this by freelancing consulting services online and found it to be successful albeit a little off the cuff on my part, taking on their issues as they come. While I feel there is value here, I find the consulting fulfilling but not very productive (no scale/violates time principle). I have been looking at ways to translate these principles to a wider market including Saas, community building, podcasting, online training but I can't seem to hit an idea on the head that appeals to me from a client perspective or CENTS. I have thought of splitting off the different components to test them ie. Business decision making models or development of procedures to make an owner/operator company saleable.

With such a broad aim of improving businesses overall operation and in turn, the communities in which they operate, I am having issues figuring out where to take that first bite. The last thing I was to build is another clickbait company claiming they can solve all your issues with one miracle cure.

I am hoping for some feedback as to if/where you see value, if there's potential for a fastlane business and potential barriers as well as any other thoughts that may spring to mind. Thanks for taking the time to read it, I did my best to make unramble it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Throughout my career as an airline pilot, I have learned many things about the importance of procedures, checklists, leadership, communication, prioritizing, stress management and decision making among a pile of other lessons learned formally or through on the job experience.
Definitely value is there in the market!

I especially liked the Point-and-Call system used by Japanese train crews to minimize error in timing and procedures:
View: https://youtu.be/xzkU6tmdImY

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
Definitely value is there in the market!

I especially liked the Point-and-Call system used by Japanese train crews to minimize error in timing and procedures:
View: https://youtu.be/xzkU6tmdImY

Absolutely, following up a critical action or check with a physical or oral acknowledgment as they do is so important. I have housekeepers from my rental properties send me a text after a turnover simply saying "checklist complete" which I'm sure annoys them but since installing this simple thing to ensure they're referring to the procedures and checklists, it's been a massive reduction in the number of complaints or missing items and saved me tons of time with quality control and unnecessary communication.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.