The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Applying aviation principles to business

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 6, 2019
Throughout my career as an airline pilot, I have learned many things about the importance of procedures, checklists, leadership, communication, prioritizing, stress management and decision making among a pile of other lessons learned formally or through on the job experience. When venturing into various businesses (holiday rental management, product development, ecom, interior design firm) I have instinctively applied these same principles I use on the flight deck. When I started talking to other business owners about this, it quickly became apparent that this method was appealing to non-pilots as well and was something they lacked within their own operation. I then tested this by freelancing consulting services online and found it to be successful albeit a little off the cuff on my part, taking on their issues as they come. While I feel there is value here, I find the consulting fulfilling but not very productive (no scale/violates time principle). I have been looking at ways to translate these principles to a wider market including Saas, community building, podcasting, online training but I can't seem to hit an idea on the head that appeals to me from a client perspective or CENTS. I have thought of splitting off the different components to test them ie. Business decision making models or development of procedures to make an owner/operator company saleable.

With such a broad aim of improving businesses overall operation and in turn, the communities in which they operate, I am having issues figuring out where to take that first bite. The last thing I was to build is another clickbait company claiming they can solve all your issues with one miracle cure.

I am hoping for some feedback as to if/where you see value, if there's potential for a fastlane business and potential barriers as well as any other thoughts that may spring to mind. Thanks for taking the time to read it, I did my best to make unramble it.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Throughout my career as an airline pilot, I have learned many things about the importance of procedures, checklists, leadership, communication, prioritizing, stress management and decision making among a pile of other lessons learned formally or through on the job experience.
Definitely value is there in the market!

I especially liked the Point-and-Call system used by Japanese train crews to minimize error in timing and procedures:
View: https://youtu.be/xzkU6tmdImY

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 6, 2019
Definitely value is there in the market!

I especially liked the Point-and-Call system used by Japanese train crews to minimize error in timing and procedures:
View: https://youtu.be/xzkU6tmdImY
Absolutely, following up a critical action or check with a physical or oral acknowledgment as they do is so important. I have housekeepers from my rental properties send me a text after a turnover simply saying "checklist complete" which I'm sure annoys them but since installing this simple thing to ensure they're referring to the procedures and checklists, it's been a massive reduction in the number of complaints or missing items and saved me tons of time with quality control and unnecessary communication.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Big thanks to @Fox and to @mjb234 (a student of this course) for helping me with my business’s...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock