The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A small taste of freedom....kind of

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Starting this week and through next week I am off work. Two weeks of freedom. For the longest time, it feels great to not be in a rush. It feels great to get away and have time to myself. I am so burned out at my job that I feel like I've lost all control. My job is taking the joy out of my life. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish for a better life. Is this really what my life has become? Stressed out, burned out, unhappy? Just to pay the bills? I keep telling myself, "There has to be something better!"

I've been beaten down into inaction for so long. The burn out has crushed my creativity. I feel like I have no brain power left in me. It's so hard to just get up and get started on something because I feel like time is limited and I end up going right back to work. My normal work cycles cause me to wake up in the morning, go to work for 12 hours, get home, make dinner, spend time with the family, put my son to bed, get ready for the next day, and go to bed to go back to work. It's basically work-sleep-work-sleep.

With my free time and just wanting to turn my brain off, I end up doing unproductive things. I have the day to myself today and I'm sitting here playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. It's an amazing game and highly recommended for any aspiring pilot, but the problem is that I'm not really doing anything to get myself out of my situation. I get paid well for what I do but I'm tolerating each day just because I feel like there is no hope. I don't have a business generating an income. I feel like I have no skills to go out and find another job. I have a mortgage and a family to think about. There has to be something better out there! Why does it feel so hard to get up and do something to regain that feeling of personal satisfaction and progress?

"Well, you might have to go back to school." I shouldn't have to go back to school! I hate when people tell me that. I feel like nobody in my personal life understands what I'm going through because they are all of the slowlane mindset while I am trying to get into the fastlane mindset and have a business for myself - except I'm not doing anything to further that goal. Yes, a lot of people don't like their jobs but I just feel like I'm in a whole different world that most of society doesn't know exists.

So, what are your goals? Honestly, I have no freakin' clue. I want to get out of this job that I fricken' hate so I can clear my mind and take control of myself. It's bleeding into my personal life and affects me at home. My doctor even recommended that I go out and try to find another job. It seems so easy. Do I try to get a new job that I don't think I'll ever be able to find while taking a pay cut or do I tolerate being unhappy, burned out, barely able to find any energy, and hope that someday I get my shit together?

I really should know better. I've been to the Summit. I've talked to many of you. Many of you helped me. I've read AND listened to the books. I've been a member of the forum for many years. And yet I don't have anything to show for it. I feel like I don't have that idea that gets me up and going. E-Commerce? Web Design? Real Estate? etc. I feel like it's just chasing a golden goose. I see someone else doing well so I want to ride the wave, except, as soon as the waves break, I'm jumping off the surfboard and telling myself that it doesn't work for me.

One thing I've been thinking about is how much my son is trying to learn to walk. He stands up, takes a step, falls down on his butt. He gets up, takes a step, falls forward. He's hit the floor, face planted, rolled over so many times, but yet, he keeps getting up to try to walk on his own. He's making a lot of progress, but he doesn't give up. Here I am barely even able to stand up because I'm tired, worn out, burned out, stressed out, beaten down, and overwhelmed. Is this what my life is going to look like for another 17 years? There has to be something better!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
My uncle said it best, "hold your feet to the fire!"

I (and countless others) could give you tons of advice, but it comes down to what you want in your life.

What I did (and your results may vary) is to picture yourself in 10 years from now... what do you want to be doing at that time? what would your perfect life be like?

Who would be there with you? your son?

What would you be doing? would you be reading a book? or out kayaking?

what would your perfect life look like?

can you picture it?

now, what would it make to have that happen today?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Aren’t you a police officer? If so, I can see why the job is killing you, especially in today’s climate. I can also see why you have no energy left to spare after a long day. Dealing with the public for 8 hours is insufferable on its own. I wish I had some easy solution to offer you.

PeterBoss

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 17, 2020
London
Burn out is real and it's multi-causal, so feel free to disregard everything I say, as it may feel like I don't understand your pain or I am minimising it. All of what comes below is based on my experience, my ups and downs, etc.

It's very hard to go through stuff you don't want to do if you don't have a goal post that makes it all worth it.
In general, that goal needs to feel far away so that it's enticing, but not so far away that it feels impossible. MJ talks about something similar to what I am saying when he talks about procrastination and chunking work, but I am talking about more generally in life... the only reason you can tolerate going through unbearable stuff its because you can justify your suffering. Probably one of the main reasons for religion offering you a 'better world' once you are dead if you are 'good' in this one.

Anyway... in my experience at least, what saves you of burning out when you dread your job and your everyday existence is that goalpost. Unfortunately, saying 'it pays the bills' or 'supports my family' it's hardly enough. It needs to be bigger than that (not that that is in any way small, but you already 'have' that at this point, is not enough). Money in most cases is not enough (that's why a 'raise' gives you a mini rush that lasts 1 month at the most, even when the number is big). You need that constant goalpost, it brings achievement, confidence and usually, in the end freedom.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Dude you can’t find opportunities in that field that is Fastlane? You can’t invent a new gadget or tool? What about a gun accessory?

Why don’t you start a faraday bag business from home? You buy the material and you make them from home? Sell them to your police department. I’m sure you guys always seize electronics as evidence. I would do something like that if I were you. Seems like a small cost little business you can start.

;)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
5-0?

Interesting job

I read your other intro thread, dam that's some crazy stuff. If you've got some money saved up I'd say quit and look into another type of career choice (maybe armed security like those BRINKS trucks) You'd probably have a good chance of getting in as you already have LE experience, and let's be honest, those guys do nothing but sit in a truck all day/night and drive around :rofl:

Just a thought, or transfer departments where you don't need to be on the road?

Last edited:

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
My uncle said it best, "hold your feet to the fire!"

I (and countless others) could give you tons of advice, but it comes down to what you want in your life.

What I did (and your results may vary) is to picture yourself in 10 years from now... what do you want to be doing at that time? what would your perfect life be like?

Who would be there with you? your son?

What would you be doing? would you be reading a book? or out kayaking?

what would your perfect life look like?

now, what would it make to have that happen today?

The one thing for certain is that a 10 year plan doesn't involve my current job. It kills me to think this is where I'm going to be stuck. Why can't I have that better life like so many others?

It would be nice to have a life where I can be home and available for any school activities for my kids, to be there for major life events, and to give my wife and kids a life of adventure. I want to wake up each day without stress and without feeling like I'm in a rush.

I get so impatient because I'm at my end with this job and 2 or 3 more years feels like an eternity. And being in such a rush all the time (because my days off/free time are so limited) I never stop to be in the moment.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Aren’t you a police officer? If so, I can see why the job is killing you, especially in today’s climate. I can also see why you have no energy left to spare after a long day. Dealing with the public for 8 hours is insufferable on its own. I wish I had some easy solution to offer you.

Yes, that's right. The job has gotten worse in the last few months. Covid made everything come to a standstill, which was cool because I didn't have to do much. Now, it's like the vacuum has been unsealed and people are losing their minds. It's literally driving me insane to the point where I feel on edge all the time and can snap at the littlest of things. This isn't the way life should be.

I appreciate the reply and thoughts.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Burn out is real and it's multi-causal, so feel free to disregard everything I say, as it may feel like I don't understand your pain or I am minimising it. All of what comes below is based on my experience, my ups and downs, etc.

It's very hard to go through stuff you don't want to do if you don't have a goal post that makes it all worth it.
In general, that goal needs to feel far away so that it's enticing, but not so far away that it feels impossible. MJ talks about something similar to what I am saying when he talks about procrastination and chunking work, but I am talking about more generally in life... the only reason you can tolerate going through unbearable stuff its because you can justify your suffering. Probably one of the main reasons for religion offering you a 'better world' once you are dead if you are 'good' in this one.

Anyway... in my experience at least, what saves you of burning out when you dread your job and your everyday existence is that goalpost. Unfortunately, saying 'it pays the bills' or 'supports my family' it's hardly enough. It needs to be bigger than that (not that that is in any way small, but you already 'have' that at this point, is not enough). Money in most cases is not enough (that's why a 'raise' gives you a mini rush that lasts 1 month at the most, even when the number is big). You need that constant goalpost, it brings achievement, confidence and usually, in the end freedom.

You're right and I've kind of been saying it to some people over the last week or two. I'm not fulfilled, I'm not challenged, I don't feel like I'm providing anything of value. There is no end-game to my job. I clean up one mess but there is someone else right there to make another. As you may have read, I am a police officer. There is no end game where we say, "Congratulations, everyone! There is no more crime! Your hard work paid off!" Nope, it's just a daily grind chasing people around in a never-ending cycle. Not to mention, the media portrays police officers in such a bad way that we get pressure from all directions. It's not a fun time right now. I've had to cut off the news and facebook just to hold onto any form of sanity that I had.

It would be nice to really provide something of value where I can feel productive and have something to show for it. I need that goalpost, that fulfillment, that sense of accomplishment and progress. I'm not getting that in any way right now. Some people are okay with what they do because it's a paycheck. Some guys say it's the best job in the world. Others do it for the pension at the end of their career. I can't wrap my head around it.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Dude you can’t find opportunities in that field that is Fastlane? You can’t invent a new gadget or tool? What about a gun accessory?

Why don’t you start a faraday bag business from home? You buy the material and you make them from home? Sell them to your police department. I’m sure you guys always seize electronics as evidence. I would do something like that if I were you. Seems like a small cost little business you can start.

;)

I've thought about it a lot. It's possible. I'm not a gear guy. Some guys have all of the tech and gadgets and are trying something new every week. A lot of me just wants to get out and stay out. I almost resent the profession for what it is because of how much stress and anxiety it has caused me.

The other day I came up with an idea for a type of collared shirt. A quick google search came up with 1 result on eBay that was for a polo shirt. I was thinking a collared shirt for someone who wears a tie - like a business professional. I've played around with the idea in my head but I don't even know where to start to even think about making it a reality. I don't even know if it's viable or if it doesn't exist because it's not a good idea worth pursuing. At the same time, I think about doing other things that might be a little more glamorous. I have things in my head that I think would be cool to do but they never really seem like an option that is going to get me out of my current position where I have that freedom to run with it. That's the trap I fall into where I'm looking for that 'idea' that is going to catapult me out of a job I hate. If I don't see the way out, then my mind just brushes it aside.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You're right and I've kind of been saying it to some people over the last week or two. I'm not fulfilled, I'm not challenged, I don't feel like I'm providing anything of value. There is no end-game to my job. I clean up one mess but there is someone else right there to make another. As you may have read, I am a police officer. There is no end game where we say, "Congratulations, everyone! There is no more crime! Your hard work paid off!" Nope, it's just a daily grind chasing people around in a never-ending cycle. Not to mention, the media portrays police officers in such a bad way that we get pressure from all directions. It's not a fun time right now. I've had to cut off the news and facebook just to hold onto any form of sanity that I had.

It would be nice to really provide something of value where I can feel productive and have something to show for it. I need that goalpost, that fulfillment, that sense of accomplishment and progress. I'm not getting that in any way right now. Some people are okay with what they do because it's a paycheck. Some guys say it's the best job in the world. Others do it for the pension at the end of their career. I can't wrap my head around it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WeM-WQFXjw

Check this guy out,

He's a cop using positive publicity to run his business selling tactical gear/stickers etc.

Play a pickup game of basketball in uniform, (down here in Canada we have had some funny cops respond to noise complaints and they ended up playing a pickup game of hockey with some kids :rofl: ) Give someone a ride in your car, lots of value to provide in your job.

Last edited:

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
5-0?

Interesting job

I read your other intro thread, dam that's some crazy stuff. If you've got some money saved up I'd say quit and look into another type of career choice (maybe armed security like those BRINKS trucks) You'd probably have a good chance of getting in as you already have LE experience, and let's be honest, those guys do nothing but sit in a truck all day/night and drive around :rofl:

Just a thought, or transfer departments where you don't need to be on the road?

If I really went for it, we could make it at least a year without my full income. Maybe in that year's time I could create something just to sort of prolong those months. For example, with zero income, I'd be paying entirely out of pocket and I'd lose a month. If I worked hard and was able to generate some kind of income that paid for that month's expenses then I would extend that time frame out another month - I think you get the idea. It would be a little scary, I think. I also think about taking care of my kids when they are older and may want to go to college. I feel like giving up on my job (me being unable to properly tolerate my job and feeling selfish) now is taking away from their future. These are things I have to work through to come to terms with the thoughts of a complete shift in our routines.

Like I said in a post before, if I get out of the field, I would like to stay out. If I go and find another job, it would be in an entirely different field where I don't have to be on alert or always watching my back or always feeling like I have to be aware of my surroundings.

With my current position, service time is very important. Assignments/positions are hard to come by and it's not just a job where you move around. If I left my current job, I'd be giving up all of my time toward retirement. I'd effectively go from nearly 8 years back to 0 and have to start over. It's not a typical field where you can move around from company to company slowing climbing the ladder. It's like a one-and-done type thing where you stay for retirement.

It's been helpful just to throw my thoughts out there. I don't really have anyone to turn to who can understand what I'm trying to do. It's frustrating trying to talk to a co-worker about a "better life" and have them come up with all the reasons why it won't work or why it's too hard or risky.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
If I really went for it, we could make it at least a year without my full income. Maybe in that year's time I could create something just to sort of prolong those months. For example, with zero income, I'd be paying entirely out of pocket and I'd lose a month. If I worked hard and was able to generate some kind of income that paid for that month's expenses then I would extend that time frame out another month - I think you get the idea. It would be a little scary, I think. I also think about taking care of my kids when they are older and may want to go to college. I feel like giving up on my job (me being unable to properly tolerate my job and feeling selfish) now is taking away from their future. These are things I have to work through to come to terms with the thoughts of a complete shift in our routines.

Like I said in a post before, if I get out of the field, I would like to stay out. If I go and find another job, it would be in an entirely different field where I don't have to be on alert or always watching my back or always feeling like I have to be aware of my surroundings.

With my current position, service time is very important. Assignments/positions are hard to come by and it's not just a job where you move around. If I left my current job, I'd be giving up all of my time toward retirement. I'd effectively go from nearly 8 years back to 0 and have to start over. It's not a typical field where you can move around from company to company slowing climbing the ladder. It's like a one-and-done type thing where you stay for retirement.

It's been helpful just to throw my thoughts out there. I don't really have anyone to turn to who can understand what I'm trying to do. It's frustrating trying to talk to a co-worker about a "better life" and have them come up with all the reasons why it won't work or why it's too hard or risky.

Start small, try making $100 a month on the side, and $500, then $1,000 and so on. Get to the point where it's silly to even wakeup to an alarm clock, use your children as the WHY in life.

Go enjoy your time off, spend time with family on a nice trip somewhere and soak it in. Then come up with some ideas.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Start small, try making $100 a month on the side, and $500, then $1,000 and so on. Get to the point where it's silly to even wakeup to an alarm clock, use your children as the WHY in life.

Go enjoy your time off, spend time with family on a nice trip somewhere and soak it in. Then come up with some ideas.

That is something I thought about. I could take our lowest expense like car insurance or cell phone bills and try to generate that amount of money in a month. That would cover that bill and give some relief. The only thing I really know right now to do that is something like eBay where I could sell some random junk in my house. At least that could be something where I don't have to leave the house and try to juggle having my son during the day or waiting until a day when he's in daycare and I get the day to myself.

I enjoy a lot of my time away from work but it often leads to just waiting until I go back to work. It would be nice to have that sense of progress toward a better future where what I'm enjoying is actually working on something that will help me get out of my job. A lot of guys right now are feeling stuck or like this is the end of the road. It's very rare for someone to put their foot down and make a change. And for those who had in the the past, some are jealous that they made the jump.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
That is something I thought about. I could take our lowest expense like car insurance or cell phone bills and try to generate that amount of money in a month. That would cover that bill and give some relief. The only thing I really know right now to do that is something like eBay where I could sell some random junk in my house. At least that could be something where I don't have to leave the house and try to juggle having my son during the day or waiting until a day when he's in daycare and I get the day to myself.

I enjoy a lot of my time away from work but it often leads to just waiting until I go back to work. It would be nice to have that sense of progress toward a better future where what I'm enjoying is actually working on something that will help me get out of my job. A lot of guys right now are feeling stuck or like this is the end of the road. It's very rare for someone to put their foot down and make a change. And for those who had in the the past, some are jealous that they made the jump.

Not ebay, focus your energy into a CENTS business, start with one customer & snowball that into more. Product type business would most likely be your best bet.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Not ebay, focus your energy into a CENTS business, start with one customer & snowball that into more. Product type business would most likely be your best bet.

That's part of the problem. I don't have that idea yet. I sometimes have thoughts of things and ideas but nothing feels like it ever sticks. Like it's just a fad. I failed out on web design, the government contracting business (I kind of would like to do this again if I had a better approach), options trading (stopped when I lost some money on some stupid trades and then corona hit).

I'm stuck at the idea, having something that feels worthy enough that I can't not do it. I also wonder if just starting with 'something' just to get some money flowing even if it's not all CENTS and what not. I could do something, anything just to reclaim my time and my life and then transition to CENTS as opportunities start to present themselves with a better mindset and focus.

It probably seems like I'm being a pain and a huge downer. This is a real issue for me and my wheels are stuck spinning and spinning. This has been going on for months and I'm so down and out sometimes that it's causing me to become depressed thinking I've lost all control and all that is good in life. It shouldn't be so hard but, yet, I make it hard.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
My wife is also a Long Island Cop. The pensions keep you sucked in. Perhaps you can write an Ebook on policing followed by a blog. One your posts can be reasons you should be a cop and 5 reasons you shouldn't etc... Im an aircraft mechanic by trade and I was amazed at how someone started a company called http://aircraftmechanicshirts.com , It was incredible to see the amount of fan boys who shop there. This guy wrote a book for future aircraft mechanics. I would of bought this when I was 18 and lacked self confidence The Aircraft Mechanic Book. You seem to write very well. Im sure there is plenty you can do.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
That's part of the problem. I don't have that idea yet. I sometimes have thoughts of things and ideas but nothing feels like it ever sticks. Like it's just a fad. I failed out on web design, the government contracting business (I kind of would like to do this again if I had a better approach), options trading (stopped when I lost some money on some stupid trades and then corona hit).

I'm stuck at the idea, having something that feels worthy enough that I can't not do it. I also wonder if just starting with 'something' just to get some money flowing even if it's not all CENTS and what not. I could do something, anything just to reclaim my time and my life and then transition to CENTS as opportunities start to present themselves with a better mindset and focus.

It probably seems like I'm being a pain and a huge downer. This is a real issue for me and my wheels are stuck spinning and spinning. This has been going on for months and I'm so down and out sometimes that it's causing me to become depressed thinking I've lost all control and all that is good in life. It shouldn't be so hard but, yet, I make it hard.
your not alone, I go through the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if its ADD. Definitely shiny object syndrome. Hopefully someone can guide us. Thanks for making this post!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Reshape your mind, there are problems/inconveniences around everywhere. Start with your own job and think about common issues with what you do.

I'd take a wild guess and say wearing heavy body armor all day totally sucks, neck pain, back pain, is there an industry in that? Maybe, who knows? How about lighter bullet proof vests? The point is to engage your fast lane thinking. There could be a potential for creating a massage type product targeting police officers or athletes (nfl/nhl etc) the marketing behind it could be focused on the pains of wearing protective equipment (the solution is to use X product to help relieve pain)

What else sucks? I've been to the gun range and standard earplugs suck (the orange ones) Some companies have improved upon them and made them easier to put in, you also have several different ear muffs that are really crappy.

Another problem, which I'm just guessing from looking at guns police carry is the lack of laser sights, could this be a problem you could solve? I think it would make it alot easier in a stand off type situation to use something like this

Rather than aiming down the sights, (I've shot a few weapons before and have horrible accuracy) Even though officers are highly trained, a high stress situation combined with adrenaline & fear or flight, the best marksman could potentially miss an important shot in a life or death situation.

Bullet resistance pants? Heres a company that sells that type of clothing

Regardless of whether these ideas are bad or not, the point is to flip your mindset into solving problems/inconveniences. When you come up with ideas, research them and look into competition, get validation on your idea from surveys/ads/talking with people and see if you can fill a gap in the market.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Had another idea for you, check this out

You could ''skip'' the process of starting the business and buy an existing one.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Thanks @sparechange . I'm going to try to be more aware of gear issues. There are so many things out there and I'm sure there is a massive market beyond what I'm even considering right now. There are so many companies that sell a wide range of products and gear like Galls. I have a flashlight holder on my belt that was specifically made for my flashlight. I think the person I bought it from custom cut it from something like carbon fiber. It's pretty nice and very sturdy.

I've listened to nearly all of @Kak 's podcasts and the idea is planted in me that I need to "think bigger." What is something I can do that will have a big impact on the world? My mind goes beyond law enforcement. It's almost like a bad relationship. Once you get out of it, you want to do everything you can to put it behind you and stop doing the things that remind you of those terrible days. I'm open to opportunities, though. At the same time, there has to be something I can do that will start creating small wins or start me on a path toward incremental progress. I'm trying to find a day to visit my uncle as he has run businesses his entire life. It is mostly to be around someone who has a better mindset than the coworkers I'm around all day and hopefully to enlighten me.

When I started the government business, I was so motivated and feeling on top of the world that I was getting something started. It was so painful to have to wait on LegalZoom to send me paperwork (never again!) -- they took every single second of those 30 days. And then, when I started working on the business, it didn't work out as I expected. I didn't work on it like I should have, I didn't really understand what I was doing, I didn't see a way forward in building it when I was bidding on contracts that would net me a few dollars. In the end, on two contracts won, I think I profited $7. My uncle told me to keep going as that slow start was how you got in and built trust but I just didn't understand any of it. I didn't see how I was going to compete for the bottom penny and build it into something worth pursuing. I would definitely do that again if I had a better game plan.

I have some other ideas (thoughts?) but I don't even know if they are worth pursuing. I'm thinking something like Youtube videos using the flight simulator I play (more like a story-telling series rather than random videos just for views), a Youtube channel on car cleaning/detailing with affiliate links - several channels do that on Youtube, investing, trading, writing a book (not ready for that one yet), a website idea that I've had for many years (started working on it but the coding was giving me problems so I stopped - I really should see how much it might cost to have this designed by someone else), web design/SEO, a new clothing idea that I came up with recently....

So yeah, there are thoughts/ideas out there but I don't even know what is worth pursuing. I get distracted and find reasons to not start on anything.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd be giving up all of my time toward retirement.

The funny thing is (but not so funny) if you make it to retirement and don't literally die beforehand, the job will make you mentally and physically dead through the stress and the soul-crushing work.

Retirement cannot be a reason to stay. No amount of money can compensate you for the price being paid. IMO. Money, freedom -- all of it is worthless when you don't have your health, or worse, are dead.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks @sparechange .

I have some other ideas (thoughts?) but I don't even know if they are worth pursuing. I'm thinking something like Youtube videos using the flight simulator I play (more like a story-telling series rather than random videos just for views), a Youtube channel on car cleaning/detailing with affiliate links - several channels do that on Youtube, investing, trading, writing a book (not ready for that one yet), a website idea that I've had for many years (started working on it but the coding was giving me problems so I stopped - I really should see how much it might cost to have this designed by someone else), web design/SEO, a new clothing idea that I came up with recently....

So yeah, there are thoughts/ideas out there but I don't even know what is worth pursuing. I get distracted and find reasons to not start on anything.
I love your flight sim idea! I work for a major airline and unfortunately due to covid there may not be many pilots. As many will be recalled due to furlough. Simulation may be the future for people wanting to experience flying. I would definitely be interested in someone with a sim cockpit setup, blog and or YouTube vids. Also the new flight sim will come out soon. If you can jump on it and teach tricks tips and hacks. I think you have something solid. This post is by far my favorite as I can relate to you in so many ways!

Last edited:

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
The funny thing is (but not so funny) if you make it to retirement and don't literally die beforehand, the job will make you mentally and physically dead through the stress and the soul-crushing work.

Retirement cannot be a reason to stay. No amount of money can compensate you for the price being paid. IMO. Money, freedom -- all of it is worthless when you don't have your health, or worse, are dead.
MJ depends where you are a police officer. For some they can't see a difference. some are promised a pension of a couple million after 20 years of service.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I love your flight sim idea! I work for a major airline and unfortunately due to covid there may not be many pilots as many will be recalled due to furlough. Simulation may be the future for people want to experience flying. I would definitely be interested in someone with a sim cockpit setup blog and or YouTube vids. also the new flight sim will come out soon. if you can jump on it and teach tricks tips and hacks. I think you have something solid. This post is by far my favorite as I can relate to you in so many ways!

I only have a control yoke. Nothing fancy like some guys and don't have an overly powerful computer but it looks great. There are a ton of videos out there of random routes and showing off scenery. My idea would be more of a story-telling adventure of missions and pretending to be an everyday pilot. Maybe that can be some more of a hobby project.

I have a private pilot's license so I'm really enjoying the flight experience without the cost. haha I have the new flight sim, if you mean Microsoft Flight Simulator. It has been out for about two weeks.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
MJ depends where you are a police officer. For some they can't see a difference. some are promised a pension of a couple million after 20 years of service.

For a lot, it's all they know. It's why they got into the field. That pension is a big orange carrot dangling on a stick. They don't tell you that you're going to get mentally messed up and deal with a lot of nasty "stuff" to earn it. Most people aren't affected by it because it's everything they wanted. I honestly don't know why anyone would get into it now with the way the world is. The liability isn't worth it.

EDIT: Something I don't understand is how some people, in any field, can just get up and leave when their job or company goes in a direction they don't agree with. I've seen several times where people follow their heart and resign/quit based on their moral principles. Do they have a backup plan going into it? Savings or a spouse to get them through? I often wonder if I have to stand up for myself and quit accepting a lower standard of my ideal life. It's highly not recommended to just up and quit a job but, man, it feels so appealing to get out of the personal hell I'm living in so I can try to regain my life back.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

It's unlikely Youtube will propel you into the ideal lifestyle you want, focus your energy into something that can make you a livable wage, like MJ says, don't follow your passions, the world is a very selfish place, it only cares about what YOU can do for it.

Ask yourself how can you achieve your 10 year goal in 1. Do that.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I keep hearing this saying... that's frightening what my 10 year goals are, and to do that in one year makes one re-consider when you actually realize where you would be when that happens... it's good, but a bit frightening like, this and this is what my day would look like.... I'd have to deal with this many people... and have a guy just to do that?!?!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
It's unlikely Youtube will propel you into the ideal lifestyle you want, focus your energy into something that can make you a livable wage, like MJ says, don't follow your passions, the world is a very selfish place, it only cares about what YOU can do for it.

I don't know actual figures but the one guy I have seen on Youtube doing car detailing always has a list of affiliate links in the description listing all the tools and cleaners he uses. It's a long list. All you really need is someone clicking on a few to buy them. Multiply that out by hundreds of thousands who come back for more and more videos and over a million subscribers. Conservatively, he's probably doing decent for himself.

But is there a need for that in my area? I know someone in my general area who is renting a garage to run his own business. I haven't talked to him in probably a year so I don't know how well he is doing.

Almost anything on my own seems better than what I'm currently doing just to escape the constant stress, anxiety, aggravation, etc. At the same time, I also have to do it. I can't be sitting here zoned out in front of my computer all day.

I'm going to have to take some time to really figure out what my goals are. I don't even know how I'm going to get over this, though, when so much conventional wisdom says, "Go find another job," or "Go back to school."

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014

I'm pretty close. I'm not someone who doesn't care and part of that is what drags me down. Sometimes, I take it personally that I can't help someone who was just a victim of a crime. The constant stress and toleration is causing me to be on edge all the time. I can rarely go out without something setting me off, namely, the amount of traffic on the road. It's like I'm always alert to careless drivers and traffic violations. Not that I care to do anything, but I see it all the time and I get annoyed.

Nearly everyone I work with (probably every single one) is eyeing up the pension. That's what they want. I can't tell you how many times I've talked to older guys who are talking about retiring early just to get away from the job. So many of them, me included, have said the job isn't the same as it used to be. The whole profession has been flipped on its head in the last 2-3 years.

When I talk about how I want to leave, they all bring up the pension talk. None of them are thinking about entrepreneurship. They just think "job." "Have to go get a job!" "That pension will be nice, you know it will always be there!"

I think about having a business that generates income. If I was fortunate enough to do very well, would a pension even matter? I'm not thinking about 18-20 years from now. I can't wrap my head around suffering for so long.

One of my fears is looking back on my life and seeing how much time I wasted. Why didn't I do more? Why did I tolerate being unhappy for so many years when I could have just taken a little bit of risk and made it work? Why didn't I work harder? Why didn't I go after what I really wanted? Why was I so hard on myself for so many years? I should have left when my heart and soul told me to leave, when I was younger.

I don't know how I'm going to get out so I don't have to go through that when I'm older.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.