The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why can't I succeed already? Is something's wrong with me?

Xpo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 30, 2021
Israel
Hey guys this one's gonna be a bit long but I would appreciate it a lot if you guys read it all because I feel like you guys could actually help me with your past experience.
I feel like every thing that I try to do fails. I'm currently 17 y/o and last year I tried opening a business/niche of wordpress web development that did not succeed much to say the least, I was super motivated at first- going through hundreds of articles, spending hours upon hours learning how to develop design and create websites, then spending hours upon hours on learning how to market myself properly and all of that did not work.
But to be honest with myself I'm not sure that I had tried hard enough. I only did like overall 20 cold calls, around 60 Instagram DMs, and around 15 cold e-mails. I wanted to try harder but just didn't feel it was right to do so and immidiatley lost motivation to do so, I am not sure why.
I had no problem spending hours upon hours on learning all of those things and becoming an actual expert in creating a website while creating around 10 perfect allaround websites just to train myself to be good enough for other business-owners, but when it came to actually closing deals, making the calls, and actually trying to make money- I failed and quit for the day after 5 cold calls that did not close a deal while feeling like a failure for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure if something's just wrong with me, or is that something that might lay in my unconscious mind that stops me from continuing but I've been through countless cycles of saying to myself something like "OK, this month Imma do nothing(which means no parties, not going out etcetera) other than doing X cold calls a day, emailing Y businesses a day" and 90% of the time I quit after 2 days and go to a party in the evening to feel a bit better and to "live my life" because I'm only 17... while "forgetting" the goal I set the day after. Then feeling the urge to try and succeed again ater a week of doing nothing related to this business. (And the cycle repeats..)

I wanted to write this post here in a hope that it'd make me feel a bit less confused, but TBH it makes me even more confused of why I always make it happen. Because I don't think I do this due to lack of self discipline-(In the past I've spent countless of hours on learning, training at 5-6AM every day just to win a national championship that was important for me. And when something's important enough for me, I do everything for it.) Or maybe I do, that's why I want to consult with you guys and hear your opinion because I feel a bit lost and confused while you guys might have felt the same in the past and might know what to do in my place.
I want to make money, I want to help businesses and create them beautiful websites and help them get more sales and I also quite like it. But for some reason I have a barrier that seems transparent to me that won't let me get past it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

chin boris

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 3, 2020
cameroon
think am like you with alittle age difference of 3....... still confused too at this age lol..... am an electrician and have been into it since i was 11 am now 21 and ever since i readd the millionaire fastlane am having some completely different visions and somehow jump into software enginnering but i dont really think it wil be neccesery..... the problem with me is to create a business idea with what i have learned in school... so confused

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I'm currently 17 y/o and last year I tried opening a business/niche of wordpress web development that did not succeed much to say the least,
I’m at my who knows many attempts.

Been trying since 18.
My problem is that I do not apply myself to what I’m doing. ( or behind, whatever fits)

only did like overall 20 cold calls, around 60 Instagram DMs, and around 15 cold e-mails. I wanted to try harder but just didn't feel it was right to do so and immidiatley lost motivation to do so, I am not sure why.

Because of expectations. You set them, see that after 5 emails you’re not a millionaire and give up.

Stick to a project and make it work. That should teach discipline.

Absolutely nothing will work for you unless you stick with it.

Giof85

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 15, 2021
hai 17 anni ed è giusto che tu viva la tua vita, ma non diventi milionario con la sola volontà, e la disciplina è importante.

Sono un agente di vendita da tanti anni, e nessuno mi ha mai regalato nulla, tutti i risultati che ho ottenuto sono stati frutto di sacrifici e disciplina, per creare un (prossimo) futuro migliore.

Oggi, dopo tanti anni, mi rimetto in discussione, perché il mio lavoro è influenzato da fattori che non posso controllare, e voglio trovare un modo che mi dia il controllo totale su ciò che faccio e su ciò che guadagno.

E se lo faccio io a 36 anni, tu a 17 puoi farlo meglio ;)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Everything you do fails because you’re a little 17 year old kiddo who’s just barely started lol!

At 17 I was playing baseball at Rogers high school my junior year. I can’t even remember what I did for money. I think I stacked firewood for $12 an hour for an old man a few hours a week.

After that, I played ball in college, didn’t get drafted, so I dropped out and started selling cars. I saved up my money and started a lawn care business immediately.

We grew quickly and now I make GOOD money and work like 4 hours a week, and we should double this next year. I have a house on a lake and it’s just me and my girlfriend and we have all the time in the world to travel and relax and enjoy our hobbies. I’m 24.

My best advice for you is to work hard and play hard. Learn absolutely everything you possibly can and spend your nights with zero sleep absorbing information, trying to grow your business, etc. Use that focused energy to be desperately trying to succeed. I remember having -200 in my bank account and being HUNGRY as F*ck lol. I was so angry that nothing was working out and now it’s so funny, I’m doing 100x better and work 1% as much as before.
So use that energy to go hard and learn as much as you can and try everything. Then, don’t ignore having fun. Don’t just sit around like a piece of shit like every teenager seems to do, go hard at it. Party like an animal, hookup with every hot chick you see. Go do dumb shit and have an awesome time.

And remember that adults are boring and retarded and have shitty lives so listen to your gut at all times

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey guys this one's gonna be a bit long but I would appreciate it a lot if you guys read it all because I feel like you guys could actually help me with your past experience.
I feel like every thing that I try to do fails. I'm currently 17 y/o and last year I tried opening a business/niche of wordpress web development that did not succeed much to say the least, I was super motivated at first- going through hundreds of articles, spending hours upon hours learning how to develop design and create websites, then spending hours upon hours on learning how to market myself properly and all of that did not work.
But to be honest with myself I'm not sure that I had tried hard enough. I only did like overall 20 cold calls, around 60 Instagram DMs, and around 15 cold e-mails. I wanted to try harder but just didn't feel it was right to do so and immidiatley lost motivation to do so, I am not sure why.
I had no problem spending hours upon hours on learning all of those things and becoming an actual expert in creating a website while creating around 10 perfect allaround websites just to train myself to be good enough for other business-owners, but when it came to actually closing deals, making the calls, and actually trying to make money- I failed and quit for the day after 5 cold calls that did not close a deal while feeling like a failure for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure if something's just wrong with me, or is that something that might lay in my unconscious mind that stops me from continuing but I've been through countless cycles of saying to myself something like "OK, this month Imma do nothing(which means no parties, not going out etcetera) other than doing X cold calls a day, emailing Y businesses a day" and 90% of the time I quit after 2 days and go to a party in the evening to feel a bit better and to "live my life" because I'm only 17... while "forgetting" the goal I set the day after. Then feeling the urge to try and succeed again ater a week of doing nothing related to this business. (And the cycle repeats..)

I wanted to write this post here in a hope that it'd make me feel a bit less confused, but TBH it makes me even more confused of why I always make it happen. Because I don't think I do this due to lack of self discipline-(In the past I've spent countless of hours on learning, training at 5-6AM every day just to win a national championship that was important for me. And when something's important enough for me, I do everything for it.) Or maybe I do, that's why I want to consult with you guys and hear your opinion because I feel a bit lost and confused while you guys might have felt the same in the past and might know what to do in my place.
I want to make money, I want to help businesses and create them beautiful websites and help them get more sales and I also quite like it. But for some reason I have a barrier that seems transparent to me that won't let me get past it.
Failure is normal. Business is like running science experiments and you strike your first gold less than 10 attempts I would say that is quite on the lucky side.

You are only 17 and even if you make it ten years later your probably reached financial freedom earlier than MJ did it.

There are plenty of reasons to be very optimistic. Time is on your side.

Back to your business idea on we design for business owners. There are plenty of business owners here for you to role play here. How much are you charging and how much revenue can your website bring? How can it boost sales and justify the cost? Can you give a business/industry example and projection?

You have to prepare and imagine that business is going to be a hard and brutal process (but eventually worth it) because it is. Once you accept that kind of assumption you would not discouraged easily. Discouragement always come from unrealistic expectations being shattered by reality. For me to deal with it psychologically is to watch some war movies clips and always be grateful to the universe for keeping me alive. Everyday alive is a day earned.

Putting things in perspective is what keeps you going. You wont have drive to stay long in you compare yourself to your friends in corporate office earning stable pay, with annual leaves, monthly funded pension plans and possible promotion in x years time.

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
a business/niche of wordpress web development
Wordpress web development is not "niching down". Developing websites for business owners specifically is not "niching down". You're competing with literally millions of other web developers.

Niching down in web development is finding a specific industry and most likely a small fraction of that industry and applying your knowledge to help those businesses gain an upper hand over their competition. That means you should have some intimate knowledge of how to market, find leads and convert sales in that industry. You want to position yourself as the go to guy for something or some things very specific.

You're 17. Go get a part time job at a small local business. Work there a bit, understand what they sell, how they sell it, why the customer purchases from them. A lot of mom and pop style businesses these days are still working with systems in the stone age. Look for inefficiencies and things that can be easily improved upon. Build them a new website for free. Basically get paid to do market research and learn how a business actually operates and what a business needs to function daily. This will give you a much better understanding of how to offer your services in the future.

If you don't have a portfolio of websites you've built prior (for actual clients), you probably need to offer your services for free or cheap until you build a portfolio.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You might find today's text message relevant to this convo...

Xpo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 30, 2021
Israel
Everything you do fails because you’re a little 17 year old kiddo who’s just barely started lol!

At 17 I was playing baseball at Rogers high school my junior year. I can’t even remember what I did for money. I think I stacked firewood for $12 an hour for an old man a few hours a week.

After that, I played ball in college, didn’t get drafted, so I dropped out and started selling cars. I saved up my money and started a lawn care business immediately.

We grew quickly and now I make GOOD money and work like 4 hours a week, and we should double this next year. I have a house on a lake and it’s just me and my girlfriend and we have all the time in the world to travel and relax and enjoy our hobbies. I’m 24.

My best advise for you is to work hard and play hard. Learn absolutely everything you possibly can and spend your nights with zero sleep absorbing information, trying to grow your business, etc. Use that focused energy to be desperately trying to succeed. I remember having -200 in my bank account and being HUNGRY as f*ck lol. I was so angry that nothing was working out and now it’s so funny, I’m doing 100x better and work 1% as much as before.
So use that energy to go hard and learn as much as you can and try everything. Then, don’t ignore having fun. Don’t just sit around like a piece of shit like every teenager seems to do, go hard at it. Party like an animal, hookup with every hot chick you see. Go do dumb shit and have an awesome time.

And remember that adults are boring and retarded and have shitty lives so listen to your gut at all times
I appreciate your comment man, thanks for that. I know I have loads of time, and that's why I don't actually get stressed out at things (and maybe that's one of the reasons why I don't have quite the motivation/need, idk..).
Anyways, I want to make sure that this habit/thing that happens to me won't grow up as I grow up- I want to address these things. But other than that, I want to start making money on my own now, even a little bit of money I don't F*cking care, but at least some money. All of these experiences taught me a lot about marketing, business, convincing and talking to people so when looking back at it I learned quite a lot.
Anyways, I appreciate your comment a lot and I will continue having fun at the nightclub haha ;)
Failure is normal. Business is like running science experiments and you strike your first gold less than 10 attempts I would say that is quite on the lucky side.

You are only 17 and even if you make it ten years later your probably reached financial freedom earlier than MJ did it.

There are plenty of reasons to be very optimistic. Time is on your side.

Back to your business idea on we design for business owners. There are plenty of business owners here for you to role play here. How much are you charging and how much revenue can your website bring? How can it boost sales and justify the cost? Can you give a business/industry example and projection?

You have to prepare and imagine that business is going to be a hard and brutal process (but eventually worth it) because it is. Once you accept that kind of assumption you would not discouraged easily. Discouragement always come from unrealistic expectations being shattered by reality. For me to deal with it psychologically is to watch some war movies clips and always be grateful to the universe for keeping me alive. Everyday alive is a day earned.

Putting things in perspective is what keeps you going. You wont have drive to stay long in you compare yourself to your friends in corporate office earning stable pay, with annual leaves, monthly funded pension plans and possible promotion in x years time.
Hey man, I do actually deeply understand that failure is part of the process, I failed a lot and learned a LOT actually, but I do think that I might have set my expectations too high and I do appreciate your comment as it helped me, thanks.
Wordpress web development is not "niching down". Developing websites for business owners specifically is not "niching down". You're competing with literally millions of other web developers.

Niching down in web development is finding a specific industry and most likely a small fraction of that industry and applying your knowledge to help those businesses gain an upper hand over their competition. That means you should have some intimate knowledge of how to market, find leads and convert sales in that industry. You want to position yourself as the go to guy for something or some things very specific.

You're 17. Go get a part time job at a small local business. Work there a bit, understand what they sell, how they sell it, why the customer purchases from them. A lot of mom and pop style businesses these days are still working with systems in the stone age. Look for inefficiencies and things that can be easily improved upon. Build them a new website for free. Basically get paid to do market research and learn how a business actually operates and what a business needs to function daily. This will give you a much better understanding of how to offer your services in the future.

If you don't have a portfolio of websites you've built prior (for actual clients), you probably need to offer your services for free or cheap until you build a portfolio.
I do have some websites which are online RN to show to people. One website that was done for around 120$ like a year ago, and two other websites done for my mom and for my sister.
I do actually think that I have earned enough knowledge on running a business in the past year to get me started, knowledge is not my main problem. I think the main problem I was facing was more mental, of not understanding the fact that it takes time to do shit, and shit's not instant. (I knew that, but did not deeply understand it).
I guess my next goal is to trust the process, I need to learn how to continue doing something even when things don't go my way, and even when I really don't wanna f*cking do that shit, and I'd be glad if you guys could give me tips how do I develop this kind of trait.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
It's good to see a 17 yo so focused in making it in business, when I was your age my worries were basically girls and playing guitar in my band with my high school friends.

Don't get discouraged, keep going and work to learn, not only to make money.
I have seen some financial advisors on TikTok who are 17 and talk about how they created a 6-figure business. No idea whether they say the truth but I definitely believe that because of them more and more teens try to get rich by starting a business.

When I was 17 back in 2010 I only cared about playing video games and Yu-Gi-Oh.

@Xpo: Keep going and improve the world, then you will succeed!

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
You've got a massive head-start. You may feel like you've failed, but if you open up your perspective you'll see that you're at a huge advantage.

Don't let social media fool you. Almost nobody your age is running a successful business. The ones who are, are probably telling other kids that they are and doing some influencer shit.

There are outliers, but what you need to realize is that the kind of head start you have right now trumps even a financial advantage. You have something irreplaceable - time.

If you focus on delivering value and developing your skills, you will get there. You're not going to just suddenly make a ton of money until you are capable of delivering a ton of value.

Even if you have great web-development skills, you need to realize that it is an extremely competitive and saturated space. It wouldn't be unreasonable to work for free in that area for a while just to build your skills and your portfolio. Doing something like this for businesses also helps you see opportunities.

It's free for you, and it's better than school.

I'm not going to give any pointers on what to try and what not to try - just try to avoid shiny object syndrome.

I suffered from it until about two years ago. I'm 25 now, started my first business when I was 21, and I wasted about 2 years chasing business models that would net me more with less effort.

Focus on your skills. Focus on providing value. Keep your mindset aligned with the principles taught in TMFL and keep going. Don't get discouraged. A year of failure is nothing.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I have seen some financial advisors on TikTok who are 17 and talk about how they created a 6-figure business. No idea whether they say the truth but I definitely believe that because of them more and more teens try to get rich by starting a business.

When I was 17 back in 2010 I only cared about playing video games and Yu-Gi-Oh.
17 year old financial advisors :rofl: All I can do is facepalm.

AngryBird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 18, 2018
cincinnati,oh
Failure is part of the territory. I've done it more times than I will own up to. Currently, I'm trying to get a copywriting biz going. I've put in the hours to learn. That's the easy part. The hard part is cold emailing, again, and again, and again. Now, copywriting isn't my final plan. It's my make money now while I build another business plan. Then I can promote my own business with the copy skills.

You're only 17 (I'm old as dirt in comparison), just keep learning and pushing yourself to move forward. As long as you are learning, you're growing. Stay hungry. It will come in due time.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
think am like you with alittle age difference of 3....... still confused too at this age lol..... am an electrician and have been into it since i was 11 am now 21 and ever since i readd the millionaire fastlane am having some completely different visions and somehow jump into software enginnering but i dont really think it wil be neccesery..... the problem with me is to create a business idea with what i have learned in school... so confused
Did you learn basic math? Did you learn to read? Did you learn to write a good sentence and then an informative paragraph? Did you learn to do critical thinking? What are you confused about?

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Don't try to do all at once, you can't go from 0 to 100 in a day or even a week.

Go for consistency, learn everyday, work on your business even for 1 hour or 2 everyday
Long term consistency beats crazy short-term work. Overtime you will be able to do more.

And yeah, go party and have fun also.

Maybe also get a job, sales or whatever, to learn some important things and get experience

Remember that things take time. Often more than we think

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
@Xpo
I know what you mean,

I started my first little biz when I was 16 and worked so hard and no matter what I did it didn't seem to click. I became discouraged because I wanted to succeed so bad and even though I tried everything it didn't work. I always knew that I was going to succeed even if I didn't know how to yet. After the biz failure I had to get a job so I got one at a paintball field. I learned a few things from there and got another job at a supermarket. this was all within a year. While reading books and still looking and learning for another opportunity. Remember that we are both still young and nothing happens over night and nothing comes easy. I had to learn that the hard way.

Im only 18 and I know that being an entrepreneur is my road to travel and I think that its yours too. Unfortunately it is not a clear path and it will not be the same for everyone, each has their own path. Keep trying to learn different things and Im saying that because I can actually relate to you since we are around the same age. I try to learn as many things as possible for example, Im learning about E-commerce, electrical work, NFTs, Cryptos, SaaS, coding, Real estate. My grandmother has a saying "everything you learn is a gold bracelet on your wrist"meaning everything you learn will stay with you. Also remember you never know where you next business/opportunity might come from.

Failure and setbacks are normal and are inevitable and every time you fail you learn and will compound. Anything hard is work doing. We are both young and we have so much to learn so keep trying and keep learning. Try not to lose motivation, we are both ahead of most people around our age and I know that we will both succeed. Also like @Johnny boy mentioned work hard but don't forget to have fun life has to be enjoyed. Not everything has to be work work work. Its ok to go hangout with some friends once in a while or go to party, everything in moderation.

Keep pushing brother, we got this!

Xpo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 30, 2021
Israel
@Xpo
I know what you mean,

I started my first little biz when I was 16 and worked so hard and no matter what I did it didn't seem to click. I became discouraged because I wanted to succeed so bad and even though I tried everything it didn't work. I always knew that I was going to succeed even if I didn't know how to yet. After the biz failure I had to get a job so I got one at a paintball field. I learned a few things from there and got another job at a supermarket. this was all within a year. While reading books and still looking and learning for another opportunity. Remember that we are both still young and nothing happens over night and nothing comes easy. I had to learn that the hard way.

Im only 18 and I know that being an entrepreneur is my road to travel and I think that its yours too. Unfortunately it is not a clear path and it will not be the same for everyone, each has their own path. Keep trying to learn different things and Im saying that because I can actually relate to you since we are around the same age. I try to learn as many things as possible for example, Im learning about E-commerce, electrical work, NFTs, Cryptos, SaaS, coding, Real estate. My grandmother has a saying "everything you learn is a gold bracelet on your wrist"meaning everything you learn will stay with you. Also remember you never know where you next business/opportunity might come from.

Failure and setbacks are normal and are inevitable and every time you fail you learn and will compound. Anything hard is work doing. We are both young and we have so much to learn so keep trying and keep learning. Try not to lose motivation, we are both ahead of most people around our age and I know that we will both succeed. Also like @Johnny boy mentioned work hard but don't forget to have fun life has to be enjoyed. Not everything has to be work work work. Its ok to go hangout with some friends once in a while or go to party, everything in moderation.

Keep pushing brother, we got this!
We defo got this man! thanks for your comment, I wish you good luck!

fastlaner_1992

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 8, 2018

Understand it's okay to make mistakes and making them doesn't make you a failure. Learn from them and stack them as wins.

Growth can take a long time and it's going to be different for everyone. I'm not where I want to be but relative to where I was I am 100x better. Compared to say MJ; I wouldn't light a candle. But that matters jack shit to me because I am me and he is he.

Embrace the process and the path to success and fulfillment and follow it, because it will guide you and has been guiding you. If you know you can and should do more then F*cking do it! If not; RELAX!

Life is easy, but it's also hard and having a vision and a picture of what you want and getting into why you want it and who you want it for will help you to overcome the setbacks until you eventually reach your point of "success" and when you do, hopefully you would have created a remarkable character to enjoy it all.

Good luck!

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020

Probably because you were outcompeted by incumbents and are entering a crowded niche. Entrepreneurship is a bloody winner take all game. Not for the touchy feely. If you are not intelligent and lucky you will fail. The main reason you failed is because you went into an overcrowded market and probably had no real strategy to show your clients previous work or you were not targeting the right people or your quality of work (website) was bad.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
@Xpo well done putting in such effort, keep that up an you'll go far.

However I'd recommend you adjust course. If web development is what you want to do, drop the freelance attempt for a bit, and go work for an agency. There you can get paid while learning all the tricks of the trade, mentored by many people older and more experienced than you.

Then you can try going independent again in the future, once you feel confident to try again.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
Web design is a red ocean market at this point. That doesn't mean you can't find success. I'll give you a niche idea: real estate appraisal. Most real estate appraisal businesses don't have web pages, or have old web pages. Most appraisers are 40 y/o or older and not tech savvy. Try cold calling some of them

Xpo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 30, 2021
Israel
@Xpo well done putting in such effort, keep that up an you'll go far.

However I'd recommend you adjust course. If web development is what you want to do, drop the freelance attempt for a bit, and go work for an agency. There you can get paid while learning all the tricks of the trade, mentored by many people older and more experienced than you.

Then you can try going independent again in the future, once you feel confident to try again.
Hey man, didn't log in to the forum for quite some time, but thanks for your advice.
I've taken a break from web design ATM, but I might and probably will get back to it in the future. Now, I have to enroll to the military unfortunately because it's mandatory here where I live once you become 18.
Anyways, I've learned a lot from this failure and I want to thank you guys a lot for helping me understand some shit.

And for the fellows that might be reading this in the future (including myself lol):
It might sometimes sound like a cliche' because this advice is allover the place, but failure actually teaches you a lot, it obviously makes you stronger but it also makes you smarter and more accurate. Please try shit, even if it seems impossible because even if I won't design websites in the future to make a living, I know that I've gathered some great skills like marketing, advertising, designing, and developing but most importantly I've gained a ton of confidence.

Now to the next chapter, wish me LUCK! <3

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Hey man, didn't log in to the forum for quite some time, but thanks for your advice.
I've taken a break from web design ATM, but I might and probably will get back to it in the future. Now, I have to enroll to the military unfortunately because it's mandatory here where I live once you become 18.
Anyways, I've learned a lot from this failure and I want to thank you guys a lot for helping me understand some shit.

And for the fellows that might be reading this in the future (including myself lol):
It might sometimes sound like a cliche' because this advice is allover the place, but failure actually teaches you a lot, it obviously makes you stronger but it also makes you smarter and more accurate. Please try shit, even if it seems impossible because even if I won't design websites in the future to make a living, I know that I've gathered some great skills like marketing, advertising, designing, and developing but most importantly I've gained a ton of confidence.

Now to the next chapter, wish me LUCK! <3
Great to hear mean, failures are always full of learning opportunities but you don't see until much later like you noticed.
Best of luck ! You will probably also gain a lot of discipline in the military

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.