The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Can't I Just Do The Dang Work?

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
yea i've gotten into this nonsense argument too many times on this forum

i'm a professional research scientist.. i'm honestly not interested in having this debate with laypeople or those without a strong background in biology or neuroscience (phd or better)

take the advice or leave it

Would you mind posting/DMing me a link to your publications? I'ld be interested to read through them

I think first you need to figure out what is holding you back.

• Is it procrastination or self sabotage as you fear another failure?
  • Is it simply because you are firmly entrenched in your comfort zone and just can't get past it as you don't have an idea worthy enough to entertain the effort required?
  • Is it that you simply don't want it badly enough?
  • Is it entirely something else?

Feelings of frustration is often due to procrastination. That procrastination can be brought on by a strong fear of failure.

We talked quite a bit about fear of failure and about taking small daily steps here

I'm a big advocate of small steps if you can't find it in you to immerse yourself in a project as small steps slowly creates momentum. And it does work.

@Primeperiwinkle has gone from frustration, to small steps to strong focused daily action in a very short space of time. And the longer she continues in that vein, the more progress she makes. Progress she can visibly measure. The longer she maintains that momentum the stronger the habit she will build and the harder it will be to knock her off course. She is building up steam and soon will be a runaway train if she can maintain it.

I went through a bout of analysis paralysis about 4 years ago. It seems that you've created a blueprint for yourself with half-hearted attempts leading to failure. That continual failure loop leads to the fear of failure itself which can block any forward motion.

Failing from one idea to the next is discussed here:

So I think you need a win under your belt so you can break that cycle. Just pick an easy business model. Something you know you can win. That way it will reduce the feelings of anguish and quieten your amygdala from cries out "don't do it, we don't want to fail again!"

Just find a local need and help those around you. Ignore CENTS, you are not looking for the perfect business model, you are just looking to build back some confidence. You can then use that as a stepping stone to heal the hidden fears within and get back on the road to success.

Have a look at @PizzaOnTheRoof's Favouite Gem (below) in the first post of his thread here:

My favorite gems:

Now you have already created a profitable Ecom business, even though it might have had its foundations built on sand. You have the skills. You just need the confidence to start something new and see it through.

Great post!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hi Fellow Chicagoan! I also procrastinate!~

573.jpg

That said, you've made more than I have and I'm 30 y/o. If you did it once, you can 100% do it again.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time....

One thing I'm learning is, like many said, just do 1% each day. One brick at a time. Heck, half a brick at a time if need be, if that is how difficult you are finding it. But something is better than nothing, and over time, it will start adding up to something complete.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Man, this thread is confusing and unproductive

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
@James Klymus -

Think of failing in terms of learning. Approach talking to strangers in the mind-frame that you want to help them achieve their goals.

Definitely get back to writing out a daily To Accomplish list. Don't beat yourself up if you don't complete every item. There will be a ton of days where you won't even if you are putting in maximum effort. Be comfortable in the fact that you are working on moving forward each day.

Enjoy the journey(hard-work) of goal attainment. You'll spend most of your time here working and not at the end game. Know that the end goal is great to achieve, but that the achievement is short lived and you'll want to then start a new goal.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Jeez!!!!
This book was written just for me, with my name printed boldly on it, lol.
Was wondering why a number of people were clicking "Like" on just a single word post, and then clicked through to find out, ....and then found myself clicking "Love", not just a Like, on the same single word post.
I battle with "Resistance" everyday, even up till now, and the book captures it perfectly.

Thanks a bunch for the book!!!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So what's your gameplan?

Where are you working now? How much money are you setting aside for investing per month?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
So what's your gameplan?

Where are you working now? How much money are you setting aside for investing per month?

Working on paying off debt right now, Which will be done by the end of the month.

I save about $1200-1400/mo which has been going to paying off debt, but almost knocked that out so that will be in the bank each month.

Going to use that to build an email list with paid traffic (I have experience building email lists in the past), then I'll be giving value and offering my products via my list & community

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
So you assume I'm a layperson. Assumptions are very dangerous, someone in your profession should know that ;)

I'm not interested in a debate either, but I felt compelled to say something because I KNOW how dangerous and disempowering those things I pointed out that you said are, and I don't want people to pick them up as an excuse, and suffer needlessly because of it.
So far this isn't a helpful, fact-based discussion and the guy on this thread who told you "don't talk to me unless you have a PhD" isn't a scientist at all, but just has a simple agenda to prolong arguments for social media value. He has, however, completed a four-month online course in marketing data (not about scientific theory or research methods), so the world is put on notice. Looking beyond the tangential charts is usually someone choosing to or ignore the truth in order to "speak about what is in his heart."

To address proscrastination and the need to make your life badly, go here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoA4017M7WU

We are more strongly motivated to avoid pain than to experience the satisfaction of reaching our goals.
BAM.

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Sometimes when I think about the motivation problem that seems to plague so many people I get the idea that it isn't really a motivation problem.

It's a distraction problem.

If you didn't have the internet on your phone.
If you didn't have video games to play.
If you didn't have Netflix to watch.
If you didn't have friends to hang with.
If you didn't have books to read.
If you didn't have forums to browse.
If you didn't have a job to do.
If you didn't have a family to care after.
If you didn't have anything "better" to do.

Would it be hard to do the things you know you need to do to be successful?

Lots of people suggesting books, apps, and other activities to try to get back on track.

Might I suggest taking everything and throwing it out the window for a week. See what happens.

You might just find that the boredom drives you to be productive.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Sometimes when I think about the motivation problem that seems to plague so many people I get the idea that it isn't really a motivation problem.

Lots of people suggesting books, apps, and other activities to try to get back on track.

Might I suggest taking everything and throwing it out the window for a week. See what happens.

This is a great suggestion here. Eliminate the external triggers to distraction.
These are just the symptoms of distractibility, however.
There are more answers in the thread on "Indistractibility" by bestseller author of "Hooked," Nir Eyal.

Last edited:

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria

Not necessarily. If i leave myself in my default state with my default inclinations, even if I were to do with all the mobile phones and books and all, I could spend the entire week all in my head thinking about different things and analysing different scenarios from morning till night, all week. And wouldn't get bored while at it.
I think the fundamental issue is that "Resistance" talked about in the book linked to by MHP368 in the 3rd post on this thread.
At least that is what it is for me.
Just a different perspective.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Hey man, there is great advice here, but sometimes I really feel like it can help to have a good phone call.

Shoot me a private message if you want to talk. I’ve struggled with some of the same things as you and currently run an eCom business. Not going to try and sell you anything - so no worries haha.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...