The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

seeking feedback + advice on a potential business idea

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post. I recently joined the Fastlane forum upon reading the Millionaire Fastlane and am currently exploring some ideas I could pursue.

Firstly, a bit about me. I'm a recent graduate student who majored in renewable energy engineering. I do have a technical background and was looking to develop something in either the e-commerce/Saas industry. I am a HUGE nerd when it comes to sustainability/climate change and find that I am quite naturally self-driven in this industry due to my drive to find solutions for climate change at an early age. However, I have been struggling to find anything worthwhile in the 6 months since I completed reading the Millionaire Fastlane .

My idea is to create an online store/website that distributes eco-friendly everyday items - think of things such as eco-friendly coffee cups, paper straws, or even sustainably sourced jewelry. Unsure as to how I would go about validating if this idea is worth chasing, but am driven to make it a reality if I can find a way to give it the green light :).

The main questions I have surrounding this idea revolve around the following key points:

1) If you were in my shoes, how would you go about validating the need for this idea? I do recall this being one of the key concepts as a part of the "CENTS" framework. However, I am feeling a little lost with accomplishing this through an e-commerce store.
2) How would you go about getting your first respective buyers if you were to set up a platform like this? Do you run ads o platforms like Google AdSense or Facebook? Do you rely on word of mouth?
3) How many products would I list on my website? Should I scale according to customer demand?
4) What products should I choose to sell? How can I validate if what I'm selling will actually be wanted by the marketplace?

Apologies in advance if my questions seem a little basic, I am still learning the ropes of building a business. Please do not hold back with your advice and be as brutal as possible - the blunter the advice, the more it helps me (and everyone else reading this thread) :)

-Sahil.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post. I recently joined the Fastlane forum upon reading the Millionaire Fastlane and am currently exploring some ideas I could pursue.

Firstly, a bit about me. I'm a recent graduate student who majored in renewable energy engineering. I do have a technical background and was looking to develop something in either the e-commerce/Saas industry. I am a HUGE nerd when it comes to sustainability/climate change and find that I am quite naturally self-driven in this industry due to my drive to find solutions for climate change at an early age. However, I have been struggling to find anything worthwhile in the 6 months since I completed reading the Millionaire Fastlane .

My idea is to create an online store/website that distributes eco-friendly everyday items - think of things such as eco-friendly coffee cups, paper straws, or even sustainably sourced jewelry. Unsure as to how I would go about validating if this idea is worth chasing, but am driven to make it a reality if I can find a way to give it the green light :).

The main questions I have surrounding this idea revolve around the following key points:

1) If you were in my shoes, how would you go about validating the need for this idea? I do recall this being one of the key concepts as a part of the "CENTS" framework. However, I am feeling a little lost with accomplishing this through an e-commerce store.
2) How would you go about getting your first respective buyers if you were to set up a platform like this? Do you run ads o platforms like Google AdSense or Facebook? Do you rely on word of mouth?
3) How many products would I list on my website? Should I scale according to customer demand?
4) What products should I choose to sell? How can I validate if what I'm selling will actually be wanted by the marketplace?

Apologies in advance if my questions seem a little basic, I am still learning the ropes of building a business. Please do not hold back with your advice and be as brutal as possible - the blunter the advice, the more it helps me (and everyone else reading this thread) :)

-Sahil.
Read the thread "Testing your idea" or something like that from NeoDialectic. It's all about your business variables. Tests your idea .

That said, are you providing relative value to your customers? In another words, are you providing value that your customers don't?

I don't want to be a naysayer, but something inside of me screams when I read your text. Read UNSCRIPTED first, it is a great update on TFL.

As for what I really see...
1. C - control
2. E - entry
3. N? Need?...

You don't own the product, the entry is essentially e-commerce and need is questionable.

Try, of course, but beware.

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
Just realized how wrong I sound in my post after doing some additional reading! Thank you for the eye-opener, much appreciated :))

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...