The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Recently red-pilled, broke 23 year old. Can I make it?

ACCW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 11, 2018
hey guys! I've just finished reading MFL and Unscripted . and HOLY SHIT, these books are modern day bibles! congratulations, MJ!

so, here's my story. I am 23, living with my parents, and currently enrolled in law school, after dropping out of two other degrees (electrical engineering, and compsci).

now, although my parents earn a good income (top 30%) and can support me, this is no way to live and I am ashamed.

I have literally less than 100 dollars in my bank account, no job, and no degree. at least I am financially conscious and have no debt at all (college is free, the best universities where I live are all public)

so here's my fastlane plan:

- spend the rest of the year learning copywriting/digital marketing/web design, and practicing these skills on freelancing sites like upwork/fiverr/workana, in order to gain some money and experience (I've already completed two gigs)

- next year, with my newly found skills and money, I will start various online businesses (dropshipping, information products, etc). I know I will fail many times, but it doesn't matter as long as I am improving

- meanwhile, I will do just enough to pass classes in college, as my parents will not let me drop out of it until I am earning money (and I actually agree with them. plus, college is free anyway)

can I make a million until my 30s?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
hey guys! I've just finished reading MFL and Unscripted . and HOLY sh*t, these books are modern day bibles! congratulations, MJ!

so, here's my story. I am 23, living with my parents, and currently enrolled in law school, after dropping out of two other degrees (electrical engineering, and compsci).

now, although my parents earn a good income (top 30%) and can support me, this is no way to live and I am ashamed.

I have literally less than 100 dollars in my bank account, no job, and no degree. at least I am financially conscious and have no debt at all (college is free, the best universities where I live are all public)

- spend the rest of the year learning copywriting/digital marketing/web design, and practicing these skills on freelancing sites like upwork/fiverr/workana, in order to gain some money and experience (I've already completed two gigs)

- next year, with my newly found skills and money, I will start various online businesses (dropshipping, information products, etc). I know I will fail many times, but it doesn't matter as long as I am improving

- meanwhile, I will do just enough to pass classes in college, as my parents will not let me drop out of it until I am earning money (and I actually agree with them. plus, college is free anyway)

Honestly? I don't think so. You're just being a money chaser. The kinds of business you're talking about starting just just marketing grinds that take a lot dedication. You couldn't even stick to a degree.

In my experience, apart from real estate and straight up marketing grinds like selling stuff on Amazon, real business start when the founder is involved in a industry or market for a long time and has detected a specialized need. You're just focused on the same list every other money chaser on here is going for.

Unless you make a serious shift in how you're living your life I really doubt you'd be a millionaire by 30 - or ever.

ACCW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 11, 2018
I appreciate your criticism. But what kind of shift do I need?

Like, I know a lot of "money chasers" who only entered certain business to make money and succeeded. If I focus religiously on the process, can I not succeed as well?

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I appreciate your criticism. But what kind of shift do I need?

Like, I know a lot of "money chasers" who only entered certain business to make money and succeeded. If I focus religiously on the process, can I not succeed as well?

Have you really read the millionaire fastlane ? I didn’t see one thing in your post about value. What you are going to do for people where they are willing to open their wallets and hand you money? Your perspective is completely off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Have you really read the millionaire fastlane ? I didn’t see one thing in your post about value. What you are going to do for people where they are willing to open their wallets and hand you money? Your perspective is completely off.

You say drop shipping, information products, building websites. It’s all just action fakes focused on you. It’s a university mind set where if you turn in your assignment you get a reward. That’s not how real business is at all. I don’t see you becoming a millionaire at all with that plan - just running around in circles burning yourself out.

Where’s the need, where’s the USP?

Point is...don’t “drop out” of uni for the third time. If I were you I would seriously rethink and focus on the degree, or any degree you can make money - at least until you find a real direction.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
How long until you would complete your law degree? Do you actually want to practice law?

ACCW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 11, 2018
I understand. Indeed, I am not currently focused on actual entrepreneuring (as in starting businesses, building products, solving needs).

But that's because I don't believe I have the resources (both intellectual and financial) to even start worrying about that.

Like, I have no problem with generating ideas. I could sell courses on how to fix posture (I have overcome scoliosis and APT), because thousands of people have problems with this. Or I could sell an ebook on how to land freelancing gigs, since it seems I have had an easier time there than most people. Or I could sell my knowledge on music. Or, in a meta way, I could setup a site that rates online courses (which are becoming increasingly common).

The problem is: I have no idea how to actually do that. Am I wrong in trying to educate myself and gain experience with execution before actually trying? Is the "what to sell" really more important than "how to sell"?

edit:
How long until you would complete your law degree? Do you actually want to practice law?
it's another 3 years. And no, I find it really boring. I was only going to do it for the money, but it takes far too long

Last edited:

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018
Last edited:

TheOrchestrator

Freedom Fighter
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
361%
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
I understand. Indeed, I am not currently focused on actual entrepreneuring (as in starting businesses, building products, solving needs).

But that's because I don't believe I have the resources (both intellectual and financial) to even start worrying about that.

Like, I have no problem with generating ideas. I could sell courses on how to fix posture (I have overcome scoliosis and APT), because thousands of people have problems with this. Or I could sell an ebook on how to land freelancing gigs, since it seems I have had an easier time there than most people. Or I could sell my knowledge on music. Or, in a meta way, I could setup a site that rates online courses (which are becoming increasingly common).

The problem is: I have no idea how to actually do that. Am I wrong in trying to educate myself and gain experience with execution before actually trying? Is the "what to sell" really more important than "how to sell"?

edit:

it's another 3 years. And no, I find it really boring. I was only going to do it for the money, but it takes far too long
Hi @ACCW !

Welcome to the forum. Have you read Unscripted yet?

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
That's it! That's what people here mean when they say "Fill a need" (especially the one about fixing your posture).

I know I will fail many times
You probably know, but aren't you scared to fail?

Start with something you already know about and work from there. Learning marketing through web design /copywriting/dropshipping is one of the least motivating and difficult way you could possibly take.

I find it really boring
I don't see you as the type of person who would be able to overcome the boringness and tediousness of it all with such low motivation. Especially when you are using the word "boring".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum my friend!

Sounds like money chasing to me, more so than value creation.

Nonetheless, many of us start that way. Getting your feet wet is a great start, but at some point, you have turn the corner and stop doing stuff for the sake of making money, and do stuff for the sake of solving problems and creating value.

ACCW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 11, 2018
Welcome to the forum my friend!

Sounds like money chasing to me, more so than value creation.

Nonetheless, many of us start that way. Getting your feet wet is a great start, but at some point, you have turn the corner and stop doing stuff for the sake of making money, and do stuff for the sake of solving problems and creating value.

Yeah, on hindsight I realize how foolish I sounded.

I just feel like I'm not ready to create value yet. It doesn't matter whether or not my ideas are good if I don't have the money or skills to implement them.

Money or skills... freelancing gives me just that. And I've just landed my third gig after only 40 days on Workana!

Even though I have only earned 30$ so far, stacking these experiences enhances the odds of success of my future endeavors, doesn't it?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Actually those sound like pretty good ideas.

I need to fix my posture and I’d pay any amount.

I almost bought a “upright” trainer from a Facebook ad but it seems like it’s not a good product judging by reviews. So there’s a need there to fill, create one that works

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...