The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Questioning Societal Dogmas for Entertainment, Education, and Inspiration

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
There are many unwritten rules people follow, never questioning if they really make sense. Questioning these dogmas is a great way to expand your comfort zone, have fun, learn something new, and challenge the beliefs of other people, perhaps inspiring some of them to explore alternative perspectives, too. I believe that this is essential to developing an unscripted mind and living the life on your own terms.

As an eccentric/nonconformist by nature, it's kind of a hobby of mine to go against the tide and question traditions, "that's how it's always been done" type of things, etc. For example, here are some dogmas I've broken (in addition to what most of us here are doing, choosing entrepreneurship over a "traditional" career):
  • walking barefoot - in some places this is completely normal or pretty common (Australia, New Zealand), while in some people will look at you as if you're crazy despite the fact that it's actually crazy to wear shoes all day long and destroy your feet (there's a lot of evidence showing many negative health effects of modern footwear). When you think about it, it's absurd that some people are so shocked or even take offense at people who are barefoot. If the weather permits it, I usually don't wear shoes anywhere out in the nature and sometimes skip them in public, too.
  • coming up with weird date ideas or doing weird things with friends - I can hang out with my friends or go on a date to a "normal" place like a restaurant, but I like to come up with weird ideas to spend time in a more memorable way. Examples include testing our survival skills with a friend in the woods at night (we survived), taking my girlfriend on a date to a goat farm (she loved it), and traveling to exotic places. I discussed some similar things in my other thread. From my point of view, if someone (a date, a potential friend) is always reluctant to do something out of the ordinary, I don't want such a person in my life (note that I said: "always reluctant", I understand that not every weird idea has to appeal to everyone).
  • going to a nudist beach - yeah, this is pretty uncomfortable and most people would probably consider me crazy for trying this, but when you think about it logically, what's the big deal about non-creepy non-sexual nudity? Obviously I'm not talking about going around naked in public lol.
  • wearing suits and/or formal clothes despite not needing to - for a period of time I enjoyed wearing suits on a daily basis, everywhere I went. Some friends considered it silly, but I enjoyed it, and it was a pretty cool experiment to compare the reactions you get when wearing casual clothes vs wearing formal clothes (people are more polite).
  • willingly introducing more discomfort in my life - most people are the opposite, always seeking what's easy and comfortable and avoiding any kind of pain, even if it leads to personal growth. This is largely how the world is today: everything should be easy, painless, and convenient. Some people don't understand that I wake up early even though I don't have to. Some don't get why I take cold showers if I can take hot ones. Some are perplexed that I exercise up to a few times a day.
  • employing strategic laziness whenever I can - I have an entire thread about it. The conventional approach is to (pretend to) work as hard as you can and boast that you're busy. The contrarian approach (and one employed by many entrepreneurs and investors) is to identify what's most important, do the most critical tasks well, and don't waste time on what's insignificant. It's silly that people feel more important when they tell everyone around them how busy they are, yet then again, the unfortunate fact of life for those working a 9 to 5 job is that often what counts more is the illusion of work than actually getting results.
What societal dogmas have you questioned? What were your most interesting lessons, funniest reactions, big discoveries?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
This is a super minor one, but I just moved into a new apartment and instead of getting a sofa I put a (2nd) bed in the living room. So many people are perplexed by it, but I just explain to them that I spend 70% of my time at home sitting at my computer desk working or otherwise so when it's time to relax I'd rather lay than sit.

My friends don't come over just to hang out, so no problem there. If they do need to sit for a moment while I finish getting ready or something, there's ample space. If a girl comes over to watch a movie or something, it's straight to laying down anyway by the time she learns my address.

And it was about 1/4 the cost of a comfortable sofa, but that DEFINITELY didn't play a role in the decision.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Good thread.

The dogmas I want to question is mainly the guru dogma that has been spreading in the self help community. I will begin with a dogma and refute it with my own perceptive.

“You should motivate yourself everyday”

-The problem is motivation itself doesn't do the work. The problem is that watching motivational content causes emotional stress and drains mental energy too. It should be used as a counter cyclical tool. If you are already productive and running fast it is good to take occasional breaks and do meditation to recharge. When you feel that you lose the drive to push through (when you should) then it is good to push yourself to the next mile using motivation. Basically speaking from my own experience, working fast + motivation= weakened immune system.

“Investment should be about owning good business that are fairly valued. Because Buffett is the richest investor in the world and hence it must be the holy grail. Technical analysis is a waste of time and be aware of quants who are geeks bearing formulas...”

-First of all, very very few people got rich through investing their own money. People got rich mainly through business activities. Investing should be viewed as a wealth management tool to enhance your return on existing saved capital.
Warren buffet runs an investment business, not getting rich by investing his own money.

-Second of all study what works now instead of what has worked in the past (Munger, Livermore, PTJ....). Focus on those who are making money now and the academic literatures on current financial market.

Value and dividend play still outperform broad market indexes. Buffetology is still right on that. But advocating inactive trading is out of touch of today's market Reality. In today’s low commission, easy access to global market and fast moving hot money, advocating infrequent trading for a profitable trader is like advocating less table turn over for a profitable restaurant. I am not saying one should look at the screen whole day but checking the market prices once a day it is not much of a chore. Simply accumulating more positions when price go lower (value and yield is in favor) and do the reverse when price go high. Focus on simple market instruments you understand.

Doing business means e-commerce/drop-shipping/freelance consultant...

There are good traditional business opportunities too. A lot of baby boomers are selling their business for a bargain and waiting to find successors.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This is a super minor one, but I just moved into a new apartment and instead of getting a sofa I put a (2nd) bed in the living room. So many people are perplexed by it, but I just explain to them that I spend 70% of my time at home sitting at my computer desk working or otherwise so when it's time to relax I'd rather lay than sit.

Speaking of interior design, I don't have a TV set in my house and have no desire to own one. If I watch something, I prefer to watch it on my laptop. Another little thing that most people probably don't get, but I really prefer the screen of my laptop close to my eyes over a huge TV several feet away.

As for furniture, some people who come and visit say that my house is not entirely furnished. After all, you need at least a few pieces of furniture you don't use so that your house can be considered furnished, right? I prefer minimalism, so for me it's more important to have space than furniture I rarely use.

The problem is that watching motivational content causes emotional stress and drains mental energy too.

And often provides a false sense of accomplishment, driving you deeper and deeper into a vicious cycle of action faking.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
And often provides a false sense of accomplishment, driving you deeper and deeper into a vicious cycle of action faking.
Agree. The only way motivation works is in delivering actions. That is way army officers motivate their men while they are doing the trainings, not watching motivational videos on their bed.

Motivational effects is time specific. Someone cannot watch a motivational content now, store the energy up, go take a nap, and release the energy two hours later. In my opinion it should be only used to facilitate the beginning of a momentum, or used to prevent the disruption of a momentum (feeling down when should be working). That’s way I very skeptical of Tony Robbin’s “pay a thousand buck, go get pumped for three hours, and expect a result lasting for the next few months”.

Motivation consumes emotional and mental energy. If you are not prepare to work after the motivation it is wiser to go take a nap instead.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
As for furniture, some people who come and visit say that my house is not entirely furnished. After all, you need at least a few pieces of furniture you don't use so that your house can be considered furnished, right? I prefer minimalism, so for me it's more important to have space than furniture I rarely use.
I've been in my place for about a month now and still don't have pots and pans, but I also don't eat out but once or twice a week. Air fryer, rice cooker, and microwave have worked out well so far.

My dining room is no dining room, it's my office. I eat at my desk anyway. It works for me.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Walking around shirtless, sometimes. Why not? Especially if I go running, some people feel the need to cover up, but I'll embrace my fat rolls for the world to enjoy.

For the naked thing, try skinny dipping, some time ago I snuck into a pool and gave it a go... Make sure the waters not to cold if you are out with a laaaaaaaaaady!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
For the naked thing, try skinny dipping, some time ago I snuck into a pool and gave it a go... Make sure the waters not to cold if you are out with a laaaaaaaaaady!

Grow some balls and embrace your shriveled manhood for the world to enjoy!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I've been doing a walk around the block in the morning when I'm up at 0530 in the 10-20 degree weather days of Boston.

One that I really enjoyed, that I'm still working on employing, is greeting (most) people in the room when you enter. When I joined a local jiu jitsu gym, they had a norm that was weird to me - every time you enter the gym and walk onto the mat, you greet EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the mat with a handshake and acknowledgement.

That's something I'm working on in other groups I am a part of - when you enter the room, greet everyone there and introduce yourself.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
  • walking barefoot - in some places this is completely normal or pretty common (Australia, New Zealand), while in some people will look at you as if you're crazy

In Sweden, it was common for the kids to play at the playground barefoot. So my kids picked up the habit (they like to climb up slides). The helicopter parents here don't like it though, and won't let their kids join in on the barefoot fun.

In Sweden it's also very common to remove your shoes inside. Not just inside your home, but other places too. Like the rock climbing gym has a shoe room by the door, and then everyone is walking around barefoot. We also had a plumber come to our airbnb to work on some pipes, and he removed this shoes and did the work in his socks.

What societal dogmas have you questioned?

Along the same lines of U.S. playground etiquette and parenting:

I'm a radical, because when I go to the playground, I sit on a bench and read a book while my kids play. Every other parent is unable to resist hovering over their kids saying "be careful. play nice" and completely managing everything that they are doing. It actually sucks the fun out of the play for the kiddos, and it's ruining their personal growth.

Another thing I usually do not intervene when kids are having an argument (mine included). It two kids are arguing over a swing, let them argue, and start to learn empathy and conflict resolution skills.

Unfortunately, this never ever works at the playground, because although I don't step in, the other parent instantly will, 100% of the time, so I'm basically limited to doing this at home. One benefit though, is my kids play together really well now, and I have a lot of free time, because they can go off for a couple of hours and I don't go crazy trying to manage them. It's way more work to be a helicopter parent.

I do acknowledge though, that there is a silent pressure and expectation on mothers here to have their kids under control, that makes doing the above very difficult. It's much easier for dads, although still pretty radical.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In Sweden, it was common for the kids to play at the playground barefoot. So my kids picked up the habit (they like to climb up slides). The helicopter parents here don't like it though, and won't let their kids join in on the barefoot fun.

In Sweden it's also very common to remove your shoes inside. Not just inside your home, but other places too. Like the rock climbing gym has a shoe room by the door, and then everyone is walking around barefoot. We also had a plumber come to our airbnb to work on some pipes, and he removed this shoes and did the work in his socks.

Along the same lines of U.S. playground etiquette and parenting:

I'm a radical, because when I go to the playground, I sit on a bench and read a book while my kids play. Every other parent is unable to resist hovering over their kids saying "be careful. play nice" and completely managing everything that they are doing. It actually sucks the fun out of the play for the kiddos, and it's ruining their personal growth.

Another thing I do is NOT intervene when kids are having an argument (mine included). It two kids are arguing over a swing, let them argue, and start to learn empathy and conflict resolution skills.

Unfortunately, this never ever works at the playground, because although I don't step in, the other parent instantly will, 100% of the time, so I'm basically limited to doing this at home. One benefit though, is my kids play together really well now, and I have a lot of free time, because they can go off for a couple of hours and I don't go crazy trying to manage them. It's way more work to be a helicopter parent.

I do acknowledge though, that there is a silent pressure and expectation on mothers here to have their kids under control, that makes doing the above very difficult. It's much easier for dads, although still pretty radical.
I try to let the kids sort it out amongst themselves too. Good for you.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Once I went snowshoeing wearing a t-shirt and no coat. People were looking at me like I was insane (they weren’t wrong).

I almost got hypothermia though...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What societal dogmas have you questioned? What were your most interesting lessons, funniest reactions, big discoveries?
I started intermittent fasting a couple of weeks ago. I’d always been brought up with the belief that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. I’m surprised I don’t miss it.

What did surprise me though is the negative reaction I’ve had from most people.

Anyway, I feel lighter, more energetic, and I’ve dropped about 5-6 pounds in a couple of weeks (which wasn’t my goal btw... I’d only just heard about IF a few days before and thought I’d have a go to see what the fuss was about).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been doing a walk around the block in the morning when I'm up at 0530 in the 10-20 degree weather days of Boston.

One that I really enjoyed, that I'm still working on employing, is greeting (most) people in the room when you enter. When I joined a local jiu jitsu gym, they had a norm that was weird to me - every time you enter the gym and walk onto the mat, you greet EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the mat with a handshake and acknowledgement.

That's something I'm working on in other groups I am a part of - when you enter the room, greet everyone there and introduce yourself.
I say hello or good morning to folks when I jog past them the other way on the street. It was common where I’m from in the UK, and I learned it from my dad.

Most people are shocked when I do it in the town I currently live in in Ireland. Which means I’m even more inclined to do it. Haha.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
How about willingness to hang out with non-Fastlane folks. So many people here think it will bring you down to their level. But if I am out for a group run, drinking at a bar, 4-wheeling, etc... I don't care what anyone does for a living. Bring on the FUN!

This is an interesting topic. One on the things that I have been attempting to make acceptable in my life is discomfort. I have had discomfort in many situations for most of my life. People sitting too close to me, talking close to my face, not following certain driving rules that "I" care about, etc... All one needs to do is pay attention to their emotions to see what silly things bother us. If you sit back and analyze it, the reasons that is bothers you is usually due to your own ego.

A group of my high school friends used to ditch and head to the nudist beach in San Diego. Or head up to our skinny dipping hole in the mountains. It was a mix of male and female. We all got pretty used to each other and it became natural for us.

One time another girl from our school came out to our swimming hole in the mountains with her parents. They stumbled across our group of 6 frolicking around without our clothes. We all said hello and snickered a bit. It was a 2 hour drive to get there but they did not stay long.

In general, all of the rules of society are made up. The people that drive those rules are usually passionate about them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could simply live and let live...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It appears that it does not bother you that people may wonder if you can afford belongings. Like shoes or tv...:)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I talk to myself out loud in public sometimes. Not necessarily intentionally, but I often come across ideas and talk to myself to flesh them out, and sometimes it happens around other people.

When grocery shopping, for example, I talk to myself and sometimes see people stare at me like I'm crazy.

Last year, I made a deliberate effort to create the man I aspire to be, by looking at identity elements I want to develop or improve. One of these identity elements is what I call the Unashamed man. As a form of practice, I sometimes talk out loud, I laugh ridiculously at things by myself, I walk around my apartment complex shirtless, and I allow myself to make jokes and laugh at about life no matter who's around me.

It feels so liberating to stop giving a shit.

falcon87pl

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Poland
I started intermittent fasting a couple of weeks ago. I’d always been brought up with the belief that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. I’m surprised I don’t miss it.

What did surprise me though is the negative reaction I’ve had from most people.

Anyway, I feel lighter, more energetic, and I’ve dropped about 5-6 pounds in a couple of weeks (which wasn’t my goal btw... I’d only just heard about IF a few days before and thought I’d have a go to see what the fuss was about).

Apart from being brought up with the "important breakfast" belief I had my own belief that I would not fall asleep if I do not eat something around 9:00-9:30 PM. Since I made a decision +6 months ago to implement IF (5-6 days per week) I have never had issues with being super hungry around 11 pm or so. It was all in my head.

@MTF "waking up early even though I don't have to" - that's also one of my things. People don't get it I prefer waking up at 6:00 - 6:30 on weekends because my body does not care it's a weekend (hyperreality alert!) and I feel more energised by doing so.

Not drinking alcohol on family parties/ weddings - not related to any religious or health reasons. I just prefer eating over drinking :D And I do not feel well if I eat too much (especially sweets) and mix it with alcohol. That's why I prefer drinking a wine in the evening with my wife or a few beers with a friend from time to time than doing some heavy drinking at parties (I have bad hangovers so try to avoid them).

Last edited:

analogue

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2020
Here are a few of my unpopular opinions:

I've seen a few people obsess over the prestige of working certain financial institutions. In my opinion, you should strive to make the banks work for you instead of making yourself work for the banks. In fact, you don't need to work at a bank to work for a bank.

I also think that a certain university is mediocre and irresponsible. (I don't want to go into the details of the events that lead me to this conclusion)

I also dislike Nespresso's marketing because it made me feel manipulated and locked into buying their coffee. Their "don't be wasteful and fill the recycling bag all the way before returning" combined with not knowing how long it would take for the spent capsules to turn into a mold problem pushed me away from their product rather quickly.

And finaly, just like a few people here, I don't watch tv.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Here are a few of my unpopular opinions:

I've seen a few people obsess over the prestige of working certain financial institutions. In my opinion, you should strive to make the banks work for you instead of making yourself work for the banks. In fact, you don't need to work at a bank to work for a bank.

I also think that a certain university is mediocre and irresponsible. (I don't want to go into the details of the events that lead me to this conclusion)

I also dislike Nespresso's marketing because it made me feel manipulated and locked into buying their coffee. Their "don't be wasteful and fill the recycling bag all the way before returning" combined with not knowing how long it would take for the spent capsules to turn into a mold problem pushed me away from their product rather quickly.

And finaly, just like a few people here, I don't watch tv.
Agree on the part on job in prestigious institutions.

But I guess it applies cross industries as well. Given that Tech is the in thing now it could be working for Apple, Google or Microsoft.

The issue is that working in a famous organization gave you nothing other than impressing your high school friend at dinner. This is especially true in financial Companies that have a reputation for brutal hours. On an hourly basis you do not make much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.