• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Building a digital entertainment empire

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by masterneme, Sep 16, 2018.

1. masterneme

masterneme Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,827
    Hi,

I think this is a good moment to start posting about my progress.

I will try to write a weekly update if I'm not busy.

By now I won't post any links to my stuff because I don't want to look like I'm self-promoting, but if you tell me that this is OK I'll put some so you can tell me what do you think about my work and if there're ways to improve it.

Right now I'm making a Doom Clone, a video game in the First Person Shooter genre, using low resolution pixelated textures and 2D images for characters, placeables and such.

I've been on it for almost 2 years and I'm getting close to publish an Early Access version on Steam. If things go well I'll do some sort of launch on December 10th because it's the 25th anniversary of the first Doom.

I'm using the Unreal Engine and assets from the Freedoom Project which can be openly licensed and used commercially.

Other than that I'm writing all the code and making the levels myself.

If things go well I plan on using Blender to make high quality pre-rendered textures and sprites to not depend on the Freedoom community for graphics.

If things go very well I'll get someone for the sound and music.

And if things go really REALLY well I'll build a team to make more stuff with in-house assets.

I've been getting feedback from people and the majority likes it.

It's meant to be a revivification of the experience we got from 90's shooters, with more action and all the focus on the gameplay with no filler, without any of the things that make modern shooters today like regenerating health, linear maps full of cut-scenes and little to none replayability on single player.

Also no microtransactions, loot boxes and all that crap.

Because I'm using a modern game engine I don't have any of the limitations there were in the 90's. I can create complex 3D worlds with colored dynamic lights and with Steam integration.

And because I've been thinking big and about what would this represent in the future I decided to release all the code for free.

A level editor is cool, an SDK/Dev Kit for people to make mods is better. What's even better than that? What would give the biggest impact and offer the most value?

What about streamlining the whole dev process, package it easy and offer it to everyone?

That's what I'm doing. I want to build a whole community that allows to not only release cool mods and total conversions, I will facilitate people to build their projects as stand-alone games and release them as they wish, commercially or not.

Why?

Because why the f**k not?

This is the general explanation of my project, let's talk more specifically about its state right now.

I got approved on Steam some weeks ago and I put a very basic Store Page that can be seen on the Coming Soon section, this allows me to activate the Community Hub to interact with people.

I recorded a video with gameplay and took some screenshots. I'm surprised that people are actually liking it because I think it doesn't look very good at this moment.

I also launched an IndieGoGo crowdfunding campaign last week.

And of course I've been uploading videos to my Youtube channel to describe my progress.

My plan now is to keep improving the game logic while the IGG campaign is live. Whether is successful or not doesn't matter, it's just a way to spread the word, get traffic and interact with people.

Sure, if it makes money that would be a clear sign that the product is very interesting and people are hyped.

And that's it for now, things to do this week:

Implement more enemies and the infight system.
    Update the demo map I made a while ago, release another demo with 10 maps using a procedural map generator and analyze people's feedback about how the gameplay feels.
    Set a Discord channel.
    If there's time start adding some gore and blood.

Kid, GMSI7D, BrooklynHustle and 3 others like this.
  2. Andreas Thiel

Andreas Thiel Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $365
    Yeah, definitely an interesting crowd that you target there. Thought of the following video right away:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6UQ2QlRH0

I would just be careful with the expectations.
    Propagation is likely to have an upper limit. The expectations you actually mentioned should be realistic.
    If you are secretly hoping for MUCH more, be careful.

Before you get too excited about how many people will embrace your mega great streamlined dev process ... don't get ahead of yourself, there. Act, assess and adjust. I have a bad feeling that the key to success is where the customers are, not the producers. But I would be thrilled if you could prove me wrong.

GMSI7D and jon.M like this.
  3. splok

splok Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,267
    Good luck with putting the finishing touches on the game! This stuff makes it sound like you're at risk of pulling yourself in too many different directions though. Imo, the biggest impact things you can do will be finishing and marketing your game. If your game doesn't have an audience, none of the other bits matter. What do you have planned for marketing?

Also, if you're open to some specific advice, I'd say that you really need to consider how your game comes across in its trailer. A few minutes of playthough isn't really sufficient to grab interest. If you haven't gotten someone interested in the first few seconds of your trailer, then you've probably lost them. You should be showing off the best parts of your game in a very engaging way, not just showing people what it's like to play your game for a few minutes.

For reference, since you're making a Doom clone, here's the original Doom trailer from '93:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkaC1-QoraY

But really, for today's audience, you'll probably want something more like the trailer for new Doom (minus a few pixels of course):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO90omga8D4

4. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,378
    You should start building hype on reddit. There are subs for r/unity, r/cryengine, and r/unreal, not sure which you used. Could also go right to r/gaming.

jon.M likes this.
  5. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $815
    This is cool. I assume it's ProBoon? I'm not that into games anymore, but it'd be cool to buy the work of a fellow fastlaner. Out of curiosity, what kind of target audience would you consider the best fit for your game? How do you plan to reach them?

6. masterneme

masterneme Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,827
    Yes there's an upper limit, unfortunately SteamSpy no longer gives accurate information about the number of owners for each game so it's difficult to have good statistics.

For what I can remember there're a couple of titles with retro-look launched this year that sold around 20k units.

They don't have features that I do but they're from already stablished companies.

I don't have any expectations being my first release.

I'm not doing much marketing because, as you state, if I don't finish the game nothing would matter, that's my main focus. I'm engaging a couple of communities to move traffic to the store page to start getting it wishlisted.

Even before having a good trailer I want a good demo that people can try. With good gameplay I can record good bits for a video that make people talk about it.

And I'll engage other communities and some Youtubers who make videos about old-school shooters.
    Honestly, I don't get Reddit, can I just post my stuff there? Wouldn't I get banned for spamming?
    Yes it's ProBoon :D

The target audience are men of around 35 yo, PC gamers who grew up in the nineties. You can find them on some communities and on certain Youtube channels.

The thing is that gamers are very passionate and if they really like one game they'll talk about it, this is specially true with old-school games because there are not many released.

If you want I can give you a link for a secret perk with extra discount on IndieGoGo, you get the game when I release it and a couple of extra rewards.

Thanks for your comments, I'll take into consideration what you say when I start doing more marketing related things, right now is 99% deving.

Which reminds me that I gotta go back to work :clench:

7. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,378
    No, only if you're explicitly selling. If you go look at those subreddits you can see other developers sharing their progress. Just follow suit.

masterneme likes this.
  8. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,646
    Best of luck!

masterneme likes this.
  9. masterneme

Rep Bank:
    $3,827
    OK thanks. I'll put this on my to-do list for this week.

-This week's report:

Implement more enemies and the infight system. Done.
    Update the demo map I made a while ago, release another demo with 10 maps using a procedural map generator and analyze people's feedback about how the gameplay feels. Changed to a 4 map demo, with Game Saves, proper level progression and end of the level menu. My current task.
    Set a Discord channel.
    If there's time start adding some gore and blood. Discarded for now.
    Check relevant subreddits.

GMSI7D likes this.
  10. Walterbl

Walterbl New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Thats quite awesome! You know, I actually have the same dream you do. Having a massive entretainment empire. Going big I would say I want to be the next Walt Disney/Stan Lee.

Off course, I am going about it in a different way. Mi mission is to make a very popular webcomic, and then take it from there. But good luck with it.

I am a beggining artist. I can make some free fanart if you want it at some point in the future ;)

masterneme likes this.
  11. masterneme

Rep Bank:
    $3,827
    Good luck!

I think now is a great moment for anyone getting into the entertainment industry because companies are becoming more and more politicied.

And when you see the numbers people hate that and stop buying from them. People just want to be entertained.

Did you know that there are several companies hiring "Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officers"? Yeah, that's a thing now.

I don't know how much money do they want to throw away but they're losing hundreds of millions with these decisions.

On the positive side, I'm grateful that they're doing it because they're opening a huge door of opportunity for people like us who are starting out and want to give people some cool s**t and have them have some fun.