The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some serious help planning my future life within the next 3 days.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm currently facing a serious problem with my future plans!
The problem is this: I'm currently living at home and I really don't like it. I finished school on March 1st and now I'm more or less free to do whatever I want. MORE OR LESS!
In my opinion i have 2 choices right now:

1) Stay at home and attend a 9-5 job, go working out 2 hours a day, come home at 9 PM, sit in front of the computer 2-3 hours, go to bed, repeat.

Financial background: Can live at home rent free, only have to pay for gas, "special" food, gym; Will earn approx 1400€ after taxes/levy *14 months = 20k a year. (You have to know this is the most money someone can make right out of school at my age and country.

2) Go to university. The problem here is I really have NO IDEA what I want to study. It's like my mind is empty and my passion for everything is extinct. The only thing I'm really interested in is marketing & e-business, which isn't in the field of study! The positive thing is that I can move out and live in a big city(which isn't even clear to be sth positive..) where I already know a few people.

Financial background: Will get about 700€ a months , rent is about 400€ a months, leaving me with 300€ a month for food, gym, etc. I'm earning good money in my holidays so money isn't the problem in this scenario. I don't have to pay for studying and/or need a student loan.

I'm really afraid to choose wrong. Every time I've to think about this decision it drives me crazy and I want to jump into the next airplane and just live on a small tropic island, away from all the decisions which are cementing my future life.

I'm currently saved up a sum in the low 5 digits, but for my age ( around 20 ) it's not that less, considering I never worked longer than 4 to 7 weeks a YEAR.

I've 2 more days till I HAVE to decide what I'm going to do (application deadline). This is really driving me crazy. I'm dreaming about working for myself, I wouldn't mind working day in day out for a couple of years, but working towards a dream of mine is the best thing I can image to happen. I don't want to "waste" years of my life studying topics I'm not interested in. There are other marketing-courses but they are all branched with business-management and other topics that I can't stand and I'm not even roughly interested in.

I'm posting this here because you guys seem to be confident in whatever you're attempting and your advice you're giving on this board is priceless, in every kind of topic which gets posted on here. I hope someone can help me out with this decision! Since I discovered the fastlane this decision became even harder, since I'm thinking about possible business ideas 24/7... :(

Thanks in advance my friends, and sorry for my poverty English , but I can't even think clear right now let alone writing in perfect English!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Speaking as a seasoned and wise 41 year old... o_O... don't fear a decision. Noting is concrete, particularly at your age.

I hate to be the one influencing your decision, since I really know nothing about you other that what you wrote, but I'll offer my suggestion. If I were you , and unsure of a course of study, I'd take option 1. Work, save, and give yourself time to find yourself. Read books, read the forum and understand what it means to be a entrepreneur to see if it's something you want to pursue. Use some of your savings and see the world a bit and get a different perspective on life. Then, if you still want to be a entrepreneur, start a business while working and living at home. There is no shame in giving yourself a financial advantage when starting a company by minimizing your expenses. If you decide entrepreneurship isn't for you, school will always be there.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure other will chime in with their opinions too. Good luck with your decision.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Last edited by a moderator:

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
Speaking as a seasoned and wise 41 year old... o_O... don't fear a decision. Noting is concrete, particularly at your age.

I hate to be the one influencing your decision, since I really know nothing about you other that what you wrote, but I'll offer my suggestion. If I were you , and unsure of a course of study, I'd take option 1. Work, save, and give yourself time to find yourself. Read books, read the forum and understand what it means to be a entrepreneur to see if it's something you want to pursue. Use some of your savings and see the world a bit and get a different perspective on life. Then, if you still want to be a entrepreneur, start a business while working and living at home. There is no shame in giving yourself a financial advantage when starting a company by minimizing your expenses. If you decide entrepreneurship isn't for you, school will always be there.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure other will chime in with their opinions too. Good luck with your decision.

It's not really a financial advantage since I earn 10k+ every year working a few weeks in my holidays. It's well paid and I wouldnt be able to do it longer when I start working! So the financial perspective is more or less the same, since I can up my income while studying to 20k as well.

And personally I think if I once start a 9-5 circle, I will never escape. I adapt way too much to my environment. It's a weakness of mine, that's why I'm more than happy finding this forum since the mentality on here is unique!
And personally I really can't even stand the idea of working this 9-5 circle .. I worked like this a few months and it feels like its draining time like nothing else, horrific.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
The way I see you have way more than two options.

However, given the choices you presented I'd recommend #1.

Now with that said, read this thread...

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-cant-make-your-life-decisions-for-you.33485/

Again, ^^^ read that thread and be sure to use the decision matrix mentioned in that OP.

I'm more than open to hear other opinions Allen!

Did it, go to University placed first, but only with a few points ahead.
Thanks for the tip thou!

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
I'd like option #1 if you can make your computer time productive. Try it for a year?

I will not. Unfortunately.
I tried it often but it never worked out, neither in school nor when I was working.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I will not. Unfortunately.
I tried it often but it never worked out, neither in school nor when I was working.
It seems like there is more to the story.

I'd still go with #1. You know that you don't like it, good. You are more likely to take control if you are dissatisfied.
Option #2 might become a fun trap. Fun traps are dangerous.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
It seems like there is more to the story.

I'd still go with #1. You know that you don't like it, good. You are more likely to take control if you are dissatisfied.
Option #2 might become a fun trap. Fun traps are dangerous.

More to the story?
Alright, I'll try to explain it:

lived in a boarding school for 5 years , where I came home every weekend and during every holiday, so not that bad. But one important factor happened in this time frame: Everytime I had to study I would study hard during the week, so I would not have to study on the weekends and just play football and relax. This mentality of "not working when at home" is branded into my brain like breathing. It's frustrating. It's like my brain commanding myself to do useless tasks 24/7. Recently I started to read about habits and this is definitely a really, really bad and strong one.

When I was in the boarding school I defined new habits like studying, eating, working out, studying again. End of story.
Went pretty well to say that at least. But at home I literally have to FORCE myself each and everytime I want to do sth. productive!

It's like i fall into a state of an 10 year old who has to complete the tasks of an young adult. You can image yourself how this works..

What do you mean with a "fun trap" ?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
What do you mean with a "fun trap" ?
The comfortable illusion of progress coupled with enjoyable social interaction often equals several wasted years of your life. Higher education is not highly valued by most entrepreneurs.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
The comfortable illusion of progress coupled with enjoyable social interaction often equals several wasted years of your life. Higher education is not highly valued by most entrepreneurs.

I don't think going to university just do study sth I dont really care isn't progress at all. It's more like wasted years! Just like the same as working a dead end 9-5 job.
Yet it's kinda more game changing and could possible open new directions.

This sucks hard... I probably sound like an immature "wanna be" entrepreneur who's searching for the "easy way out" by wanting to create his own business.
Well, that's life i guess.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This sucks hard... I probably sound like an immature "wanna be" entrepreneur who's searching for the "easy way out" by wanting to create his own business.
I didn't see creating your own business as one of the options. Did I miss something?

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Further to @AllenCrawley's comment, since when is creating your own business an easy way out of anything? It takes a hell of a lot more work to do that (successfully) than it does to go to work for someone else. Punching a clock is easy!

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
Further to @AllenCrawley's comment, since when is creating your own business an easy way out of anything? It takes a hell of a lot more work to do that (successfully) than it does to go to work for someone else. Punching a clock is easy!

This was just a example of the sterotypical thinking of what entrepreneurs do!
I often read and heard from people they're creating a business to get rich quick because it's "eazy as fukkkk" anyway.
Don't take that serious lol!

I didn't see creating your own business as one of the options. Did I miss something?

Well, this option is included in both scenarios and my main goal, sorry for not mentioning!

The problem is, as previous mentioned, I cannot work at home. It's like in my mind, but I'm doing everything in my power to change this right now (Change habits etc.) AND the most important factor is: I will not be allowed to live at home if I don't "work" (aka 9-5 because my parents won't understand nor support my decision to become a entrepreneur , sadly.)

On the other hand, when I'm studying it will take a lot of time which could already be used in building my own business, but with the benefit of living alone and being independent!

I'm currently working on building a base of people who WILL BE interested in my product, sadly I came to the conclusion that the marked peaks at 50.000 potential customers, which is probably too less thinking of the factor "Scale" in the NESCT-analyse!
I'm currently trying to work out another business plan/idea, so it's not like I'm just focusing those 2 opinions in my life.

But right now it's time to decide.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Just wanted to point out that Option 2 is still an option after taking Option 1, should you want to.

Personally if I could go back and revisit 18 year old me, I'd smack me in the head any time I mention going to university......

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
Just wanted to point out that Option 2 is still an option after taking Option 1, should you want to.

Personally if I could go back and revisit 18 year old me, I'd smack me in the head any time I mention going to university......

How come?

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Tell you what @Steven. the Dan Sullivan Question is probably a good question for you:

If we were having this discussion 3 years from today, and you were looking back over those 3 years, what has to have happened in your life both personally and professionally, for you to feel happy with your progress?”

think about this long and hard.

Also

In regards to your background information, what do you really have to lose?
LIKE REALLY,
yesterday I read a thread and a guy said he couldn't travel because he needed
to tend to his plants..
HIS FREAKING PLANTS!
I'm still laughing at this.

You want to run a business, do you want to run it bad enough so you
can work on your ideas part time?
Or will you get caught in the work/gym cycle and watch TV instead of working on ideas?

I went to university, went to one in Sweden and another in Denver, CO. If I could rewind
time and go back to that decision of going to school or not, I would still go to school. Because
university was awesome, I met lifelong friends there. I traveled a lot.

If you get caught up in the "I need to implement my ideas" and shiny object syndrome, chances are
you will be socially isolated and the longer it will be, the harder you will have to start a business.

Go out in the world and experience,
try stuff,
pick up girls/boys,
start a website about Raising Goats (2,400 search volume),
go buy a 1-way ticket to The Philippines,
throw a party,

Live a little..

Last edited:

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Tell you what @Steven. the Dan Sullivan Question is probably a good question for you:

If we were having this discussion 3 years from today, and you were looking back over those 3 years, what has to have happened in your life both personally and professionally, for you to feel happy with your progress?”

Also

LIKE REALLY,
to tend to his plants..
HIS FREAKING PLANTS!

Or will you get caught in the work/gym cycle and watch TV instead of working on ideas?

I went to university, went to one in Sweden and another in Denver, CO. If I could rewind
time and go back to that decision of going to school or not, I would still go to school. Because

If you get caught up in the "I need to implement my ideas" and shiny object syndrome, chances are
you will be socially isolated and the longer it will be, the harder you will have to start a business.

try stuff,
pick up girls/boys,
throw a party,

Live a little..
Gold post ...Thanks

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
Option #1

Learn a skill (Sales, marketing, branding, copywriting, etc.)

College is overrated.

Read TMF again.

Work hard. Develop good habits.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You don't know what you want to do. So expose yourself to as much as possible. Go to Uni and take an intro class in each and every subject. Something may spark your interest. Two weeks in, go to few professors in which ever area interests you and offer to work in the department.

In your free time, start hustle and online businesses and get your buddies to help out. Network. Network. Network.

If you need marketing for your business, go to that department and offer your info for a class project. If you need design help, go to the engineering department....

Lot to learn and a lot of people to meet. You will find a path. You need exposure to things you have never seen and Uni will provide that. It will also provide test cases and possible customers for your businesses.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
More to the story?
Alright, I'll try to explain it:

lived in a boarding school for 5 years , where I came home every weekend and during every holiday, so not that bad. But one important factor happened in this time frame: Everytime I had to study I would study hard during the week, so I would not have to study on the weekends and just play football and relax. This mentality of "not working when at home" is branded into my brain like breathing. It's frustrating. It's like my brain commanding myself to do useless tasks 24/7. Recently I started to read about habits and this is definitely a really, really bad and strong one.

When I was in the boarding school I defined new habits like studying, eating, working out, studying again. End of story.
Went pretty well to say that at least. But at home I literally have to FORCE myself each and everytime I want to do sth. productive!

It's like i fall into a state of an 10 year old who has to complete the tasks of an young adult. You can image yourself how this works..

If you have trouble doing actual work at home then you might consider using a shared work space if there is one in your city. Sounds like it would be a good option for you. There's great info about it in the thread below :)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...mit-official-thread.57540/page-30#post-458507

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015

Also

LIKE REALLY,
to tend to his plants..
HIS FREAKING PLANTS!

try stuff,
pick up girls/boys,
throw a party,

Live a little..

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm currently having the flu, but everytime I re-read your post and think about it I panic a little and break a cold sweat... great post though!

Option #1

Learn a skill (Sales, marketing, branding, copywriting, etc.)

College is overrated.

Read TMF again.

Work hard. Develop good habits.

It's not that easy, I live in a <1000 folks village and the city where I WOULD work has a population of 10.000 people. It's not like I have a huuuuuuge field of choice.
Funny to say is that I work in sales [in a way] in my holidays and I'm doing pretty good.
It's hard thou and people usually don't do this longer than max. 8-16 weeks a year.

It already came to my mind today that I have to read TMF again, but thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:
G

GuestUser113

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm currently having the flue, but everytime I re-read your post and think about it I panic a little and break a cold sweat... great post though!

It's not that easy, I live in a <1000 folks village and the city where I WOULD work has a population of 10.000 people. It's not like I have a huuuuuuge field of choice.
Funny to say is that I work in sales [in a way] in my holidays and I'm doing pretty good.
It's hard thou and people usually don't do this longer than max. 8-16 weeks a year.

It already came to my mind today that I have to read TMF again, but thanks for the reminder!

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/changes-in-latitudes-changes-in-attitudes.59532/

@Vigilante

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
You don't know what you want to do. So expose yourself to as much as possible. Go to Uni and take an intro class in each and every subject. Something may spark your interest. Two weeks in, go to few professors in which ever area interests you and offer to work in the department.

In your free time, start hustle and online businesses and get your buddies to help out. Network. Network. Network.

If you need marketing for your business, go to that department and offer your info for a class project. If you need design help, go to the engineering department....

Lot to learn and a lot of people to meet. You will find a path. You need exposure to things you have never seen and Uni will provide that. It will also provide test cases and possible customers for your businesses.

Yeah, that's exactly true! I really have no idea what to do.
And it's not that easy to attend several different courses in my country/education system, you pick "one" overall topic and it's done.
But I completely agree with your thought of creating a network, it seems like it's one of the most important thing these days!

If you have trouble doing actual work at home then you might consider using a shared work space if there is one in your city. Sounds like it would be a good option for you. There's great info about it in the thread below :)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...mit-official-thread.57540/page-30#post-458507

Coworking spaces doesn't exist where I live, but I thought about moving my whole PC/laptop into another room where's literally no "prejudiced state of mind".
But that's a great idea/thread though, thanks!

_________

Well, tomorrow is the day to decide. I'm currently ill as hell which isn't helping as well. Gonna go to sleep now and hope that I'll make the right decision tomorrow.

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
Sorry dude, life decisions are toughhh!

I personally really enjoyed college and developed a lot as a person, learnt about business 'theory', made some good friends and got the job market value-booster-papers. (a degree Lol) I'd go again.

You could go for that or you could save your tuition fee by taking the 9-5 and starting something on the side.
If it fails and you hate the 9-5 and don't want a different one go hit the island ;)

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
Sorry dude, life decisions are toughhh!

I personally really enjoyed college and developed a lot as a person, learnt about business 'theory', made some good friends and got the job market value-booster-papers. (a degree Lol) I'd go again.

You could go for that or you could save your tuition fee by taking the 9-5 and starting something on the side.
If it fails and you hate the 9-5 and don't want a different one go hit the island ;)

Yeah, that's true! :/

Well, I don't have to pay any kind of tuition fees since it's free in my country. The true problem is that the one thing (marketing & e-business) isn't a course at the uni and it's the only thing I'm really interested in (combined with sales and e-commerce !!).

Can't even sleep right now...gonna be a tough night.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
9 hours left.
Close to pick astronomy because there's nothing else left I'm remotely interested in.
I'm so F*cked right now it's hilarious.

Thank you all for your tips, they were great but it doesn't change the fact that there is no course I'm truly interested in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.