• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,450
    The theme most definitely has CSS otherwise it wouldn't look the way it does. Look in the HTML head and see where its saved to or search thru all the folders for style.css

2. Bdenner64

Bdenner64 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $180
    Hey @Fox, just wanted to say thanks for this fantastic thread. I'm looking to get started here but caught in a bit of analysis paralysis... The first site I'm thinking of doing is for someone close to me who owns a car dealership. My concern here is that this isn't a particularly static website as they do run promotions and different deals, new cars, etc. I was wondering if maybe WordPress wold work better for them as they will likely need to manage the website on a semi-often basis. Was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this. thanks!

Fox likes this.
  3. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,174
    Hi and thanks. You could build a static site that links to their FB page (they can upload cars there) or that just grabs their email and phone number (they can email them the current car listings sheet). This cuts down on work for your client and is much easier for them to manage. They would probably prefer to upload content on an FB page than learn WP or pay you to do it. Id pitch it that way.

Javin and surfer92 like this.
  4. yyes

yyes New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $6
    Do you think its possible to do all this in 9 months even if someone has a full time job? For example, I work full time and make roughly 60k a year. I am trying to break six figures so I would have to make atleast 40k in my side hustle creating websites for companies. However, how realistic is this?

5. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,174
    Depends on the person but if you check the FB page people have made massive progress in shorts amount of time. I have had a half dozen people quit their job already which is quite cool. One guy has a full blown team at the moment. I was about 10k shy of 100k first year (but I was full time) but I also didnt have a clue what I was doing for the first six months. It is definitely possible but it will take some hard work.

lowtek, Bdenner64, carlos_ and 2 others like this.
  6. yyes

yyes New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $6
    Thanks for the reply Fox. It also sounds like you have to get familiar with copywriting, Google Adwords, and SEO. From my understanding, its not just about building the website but we would also have to find keywords to generate traffic for the person or business that way they can get more business.

7. LRG

LRG Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Foundry has all the files and much more you need for your project. use the builder to create a template with your desired header, and save it to HTML. Your saved html will be you index.html (rename it) which tells you the location of your CSS file/find it in the html head section/. usually its better to edit custom.css, and don't change anything in the theme's own CSS file.

8. Maxboost

Maxboost Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $341
    lowtek likes this.
  9. jmusic

jmusic Meep. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $763
    Eew. I saw "Powered by Wix" and was immediately turned off. I've seen Karlie Kloss too many times on Youtube...

EDIT: I saw after I wrote the post that the Wix stuff was ad content. My apologies for this rant...

There are some nice looking themes there, but I checked the license agreement:

Worst of all is this little gem:

"All templates that can be found within this site have copyright information and credit links, that can be found in the templates footer and in the various CSS files.

Credit link(s) and copyright information must stay unmodified in all web pages that use our template(s)."

Means we either risk copyright infringement (for us and/or the business owner) or the business who just paid $$$$$ now knows we used a free theme and gets to have it displayed on their website too.

I prefer Bootstrap themes available at startbootstrap.com, which use the much more permissive MIT license.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  10. Bdenner64

Rep Bank:
    $180
    Trying to get some free/cheap sites done for the portfolio and to get some experience.
    Just had my first morning of cold calls, oh boy that was fun! Just called ~15 companies, mostly got stuck with gatekeepers who took took my name/# and offered to forward it to a decision maker or gave me an email to reach out to. Got a couple people who may have been decision makers but my sales muscles are pretty weak, I had trouble getting traction. Definitely had my nerves flare up and finding it tough to explain why they should up their website game.

Planning on reaching out to at least 50 companies this week and emailing some back, hopefully will be able to hook something.

Invictus and jmusic like this.
  11. jmusic

jmusic Meep. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $763
    Action taking!!! Woohoo!!!

@Vilox may be able to give you some pointers.

Vilox and Bdenner64 like this.
  12. • nikita •

• nikita • Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $267
    Lmao. I can't stand that Kode with Kloss BS. If you're gonna make a whole movement out of it, at least learn how to do more than change directories 10 times.
    [​IMG]

jpanarra, Longinus, carlos_ and 3 others like this.
  13. jmusic

Rep Bank:
    $763
    Whoops. Double post.

Vilox likes this.
  14. jmusic

Rep Bank:
    $763
    Ain't no lie.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-TXRa6qd7c

15. Maxboost

Maxboost Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $341
    Thanks for pointing that out!! I guess there are no shortcuts

16. Daniyal Anjum

Daniyal Anjum New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $24
    Do you guys do Google Adwords or SEO?

If you guys do SEO, how do you build your links?
    I made two websites for my clients and refunded both. I couldn't get the results on time. These domains were new and didn't have any sites on them.
    But I still want to help market their services anyway.

How can I do that?

17. Bdenner64

Rep Bank:
    $180
    Seems like the general consensus here would be that you can keep SEO pretty basic and have good results. Include relevant keywords in the code such as meta descriptions, alt tags for images, throughout the content such as in the copy. From my understanding SEO is also determinant based on user interaction with the site, how long did they stay? did that site satisfy their needs or did they look elsewhere?
    There are a lot of other stuff such as back-links which play a role as well. I'm no expert but I wouldn't put too much focus on the SEO, cover your basis and use relevant paid channels to the heavy lifting of your marketing, FB, Insta, Adwords, etc.
    I'm no expert so take my advice with a grain of salt and go test things out for yourself, see what works.

Fox and Javin like this.
  18. Bdenner64

Rep Bank:
    $180
    Has anyone else had alot of trouble customizing themes? Currently using the foundry theme for the first time and it just seems really inflexible past the variant builder, been trying a bunch of stuff in the custom.css but can't get most of it to work. Was wondering if anyone had any idea whats happening or if this is just a problem more specific to foundry?

19. kwad

kwad New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $118
    What the Facebook page that's been mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $39,174
  21. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $39,174
    I find Stack and Pillar to be a but better to work with. But ya you will have to play around with all of these a bit to get something great.

If it is one specific thing don't be afraid to contact the theme suppliers themselves directly - the support is usually very detailed.

Bdenner64 likes this.
  22. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $39,174
    They can't expect sales from a brand new site if they aren't also paying for some form of marketing be it SEO, Adwords, offline, radio, etc.
    People don't just open up domains randomly.

The best bet is to target those who are already getting lots of traffic. Here are the top organic results for "concrete paving Miami"...
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.42.05 AM.png

All of these guys would benefit hugely from a better site. They already have the traffic, the need is already there, and a better website would help them snag a higher % of already interested potential clients. Go meet the need where it is instead of trying to create it. Much easier place to start.

Also these guys would probably have a lot of business right now after the hurricane, hint hint ;)

23. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $39,174
    See my post above, go build for those who are already getting views. Help them convert more.

24. Master K. Stone

Master K. Stone New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $88
    Just bought the course.

Great thread!

jpanarra and Fox like this.
  25. EN_VY

EN_VY Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $674

Not sure if you already went forward with this, but look at any car dealership website. The most important thing for them is to be able to showcase their inventory on their site. There are WP themes that allows users to upload vehicles on the backend of WP. Look for a theme that allows VIN import. This makes it super easy to add vehicle.
    Put in a vin, it will pull data from Edmunds, add pics and price.

Bdenner64 and Javin like this.