• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Bdenner64

Bdenner64 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $388
    Been a side project of mine, have been busy with some other stuff but yah. The VIN import advice is great thanks for that

2. waveman

waveman New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $57
    Really sorry if this has already been asked- I couldn't find anything: does the HTML structure of a page affect its Google ranking? What I mean by that is, if I stick to best HTML practices (e.g. using the new nav/section/footer tags etc), will Google put the page higher?

3. • nikita •

• nikita • Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $317
    I don't know much about SEO but YES, good HTML structuring helps search engines index your site.

Aaron T and Javin like this.
  4. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,676
    General rule of thumb is to make the site as good as possible for the people using it. That's basically what google wants and what their 1000 magically metrics are looking to gauge.

Good for the users* = good for google

*And some very basic code must does that you can easily google.

SummerKnight95 and jpanarra like this.
  5. Skyizlimit1

Skyizlimit1 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Loving this thread. Read through everything. Love the practice and learning about it.

What do you guys do if a client wants to be able to update the site often/semi-often? I'm assuming you'd use a wordpress template rather than an HTML template. Do you offer to do it for them at an hourly price? What would you do if they said they wanted to do it themselves?

6. Villain

Villain Take Massive Action Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $566
    I'm seeing some websites that are around 4 or 5 years old with keyword stuffing. At the top or bottom of the page they have dozens of keywords, obviously trying to get ranked in Google for different locations or services.

It looks to me like they are just wasting space and visitor attention.

Is Google punishing them for this? If so this would help pitch them a new site.

7. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,989
    Yes, modern ranking algorithms tend to punish sites for stuffing - if the algorithm calculates that it affects the user experience negatively. What you're describing probably qualifies.

you can check out the free ranking tool on moz to see what's up with any given site.

FWIW, I wouldn't pitch design using SEO talk. It confuses the customer. Are you selling a new website, or an SEO package? The benefit of the new website is that it guides the visitor to a buying decision. It answers the following questions:

Does this business provide what I need?

Can I trust this business?

How do I get in touch with them to get started?

Good design addresses all these elements and gets the visitor from top to bottom. From cold lead to phone call ( or email ).

SEO considerations are secondary, and will be addressed by dealing with the three points above. I would toss in a basic SEO package for them as a bonus. Stuff like making sure they have a google directory listing, making sure their social media links to their main page, making sure their YouTube videos link to their page. These factors will boost SEO significantly, usually enough to get on page 2 ( depending on competition in their area ). Page 1 is often dominated by the directory sites (for blue collar businesses) and the largest players in town, so a page 1 ranking requires a dedicated SEO campaign.

TL;DR - Pitch using the benefit of good design - getting people to take the desired action as quickly as possible. SEO basics can be tossed in as a bonus to sweeten the deal and make it more likely you get a referral.

8. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,989
    OH, and something that really needs to be said. When you're doing a redesign, if you change URLs for the content make sure you set up 303 redirects for their old pages.

This is something that is easy to overlook, but can seriously hurt the business. If they're bottom of page 2 and you don't set up the redirects, they can get sucked into the memory hole. If they're on page 10 the damage is mitigated, but you should always do it correctly as a matter of procedure. If they get an SEO company to come along later to do a campaign, they'll spot the lack of redirects and spend the day shit talking your work to the owner.

SummerKnight95, Cavallie and Villain like this.
  9. Villain

Villain Take Massive Action Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $566
    I also see lots of dated websites but they're not necessarily "bad".

For example: Plumbers in Dundee | Watsons Plumbers

It's fairly obvious what they do and the phone number is quite prominent. The content is a bit crammed for my tastes but other than that it seems okay. Is it worth pitching this type of client and try to sell them on the idea of a fresh look? Or is it better to move on and find the genuine terribly websites.

10. lowtek

Rep Bank:
    $10,989
    I would call them borderline, but some others may disagree. They have a separate mobile page with a tap to call button that's functional - that's one major thing I look for. Most of their traffic is going to be mobile.

The text is hard to read, the contrast is poor, it's not visually appealing and it doesn't quite guide me from point A to point B.

The copy isn't very good. It's just informative without being sales oriented. Most people that own homes have no clue about plumbing or heating. A little bit of scare tactics couldn't hurt.

Not the worst I've seen, but is obviously about 5 - 7 years old.

Villain likes this.
  11. Skyizlimit1

Skyizlimit1 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Forgive me if this has been talked about already, but @Fox or anyone, when developing on your HTML template, how do you show your client what it looks like? I used to develop on Wordpress through a sub domain and my client could easily see the site as I create it. What do you do to keep your client updated on the design?

12. lowtek

Rep Bank:
    $10,989
    You can do the same thing with straight HTML. Just host it on a subdomain of your own personal domain.

Aaron T and Skyizlimit1 like this.
  13. erikvm

erikvm New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $11
    Apologies if this was already answered by you @Fox, but I scanned all 45 pages and couldn't find the answer. The question was found on page 1 and I'm also curious about this:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Fox likes this.
  14. Maxboost

Maxboost Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $381
    Just completed the course recommended by Fox however, the course on Udemy is not as clear and concise in explaining some of the html elements. Great at teaching web design though!!! I signed up and bought Rob percival course for 15$ and found it a little better. The course already has free webhosting for a year so it pays itself off the moment you buy it, plus a free ebook that explains how the instructor built a web design company which is exactly what Fox did. Check it out guys, I recommend the complete web developer course 2.0 by Rob Percival on Udemy if you want a deeper understanding of HTML, python, etc..

Fox likes this.
  15. Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $121
    This was probably my favorite post outside of the "main" thread you posted!

Boab and Fox like this.
  16. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,676
    It seems like a lot of people are struggling to find the info they need. I made a new thread so everything is up to date and easier to manage...

Making Money With Web Design 2017/2018

If you have any questions for me please ask over there. This thread has a lot of great content but over time some things have changed.
    It seemed like a new thread would be much more beneficial to everyone.

404profound and Isaac Oh like this.
  17. MiguelHammond10

MiguelHammond10 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Thanks for the awareness very useful information.

18. Fredyisgold

Fredyisgold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Fox why was I banned from the Facebook group?

19. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $41,676
    Take it up with me via PM.
    Usually cause someone was spamming or being rude. I have no idea who you are though so can't say for sure.

20. dior616

dior616 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $77
    What’s the Facebook group, and can I join?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Steve F

Steve F Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $594
    it's in his signature, last line.

dior616 likes this.
  22. dior616

dior616 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Oh whoops, can't see it on mobile. Thanks!

23. MattR82

MattR82 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    Wow, this thread really excites me. I've known about it for a year but put off reading it because I had the wrong idea about what it was.

I'm only a few pages in but looks like my reading schedule tomorrow has just filled up with this gold.

Maybe it's not fastlane in the purest sense of the word, at least not to begin with, but this opens up so many opportunities. And also appeals a lot to my more creative side.

I was doing sales for a friends small digital marketing (SEO) company awhile back. While they were all focussed on spamming I was niching down, searching through pages and pages if Google and analysing their sites to see who needed the most help, then putting together a 5 min personalised screencast video showing how I could help them. Im no guru or genius, but most were missing the most basic conversion methods. Sure I made a lot of mistakes, but im glad I did it now and have that experience.

I also feel like I could have an eye for design, and with experience in sales, and a general knowledge of a few things that are good enough to get me by, or at least know what's good or bad, I could have a real go at this.

Reminds me of a German girlfriend I had that was a programmer who would build websites for spare cash while studying. Technically brilliant and pretty sites but with my background in sales, even then with no experience I could tell something was wrong.

Looking forward to getting into this thread. Rep incoming ++