The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you guys structure your day with purpose? Constantly feeling like I am running "Behind"

Anything related to matters of the mind

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
Here's a general background of me and where my time is allocated mainly,

• University: 2 hours per day Have exactly one year left to graduate, at around 15 credits per.
  • Gym/food: 2-3 hours per day
  • Money: 8-10 hours per day (Depends, but typically related to working on the supplement business, freelancing, and sometimes I throw in extra tasks like events/networking, etc.
  • Read/Learning: 2-3 hours per day
  • Hobby: 8-10 hours per week separated onto 2/3 days per week
  • Night Socializing AKA going to talk to chicks, meet new ppl, etc: 8 hours per week.
  • Sleep: 5-6 hours per day
  • Transportation/Commuting: 1 hour per day (I include time it takes for gym, university, etc).

HERE'S my concern:

1. I find that I am not sure WHAT to get done. I don't know how to set realistic monthly. quarterly and yearly goals. Example: Currently working on a nutraceutical line for CBD related product for launch in USA, alongside importing private label nutraceutical to the caribbean AND starting import company for my dad's nutritional snack products in USA.

For the nutraceutical it goes like this:
Current: Talking to manufacturers about custom formula
???
???
End goal: Establish biotechnology manufacturing firm for pharma.

I cant think of what these "????" should be composed of without jumping the gun. I was already finding myself googling required machines and GMP certification for an entire lab when I am nowhere near the funding for something like that. I am too extreme, and it tends to set me back on what can I do NOW.

2. Family, friends, women,socializing, learning new things, joining clubs: I cant even think of how to find the time to catch up with friends and family, to learn a new hobby/skill, to join clubs in my school, even for self-development. Like work/life I suppose? But I dont have kids or wife, its more about how to keep myself from being in isolation vs being a part of a social group.

3. Social media dilemma. There are 2 sides of the spectrum here.
a) Delete all forms of social media
b) Use social media to attract an audience.

I am 22, in fitness model shape (Extremely shredded+jacked) and could make use of that. I originally wasted a lot of time doing the whole personal branding thing, that I should have spent getting my hands dirty...But I do feel like it's important to connect with potential prospects and clients.

Just want you guys's 2 cents to reassess my current circumstances.

Thansk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
I am 29, currently struggling with the exact same problem (and I do not have a shredded body ^^).

I would love to drop my two cents, if I am allowed to.

Generally, being purposeless has been a common problem for me. I rarely had this laser focus, which cuts through all bullshit.

I have had a 9-10 months period of time in 2016, where I finished my PhD, where I was really focused. I really wanted to finish that shit and do something real in the industry, instead of publishing articles noone would read.

I imagined that everyday in my morning routine. I remember one day, sitting for one hour and writing about my dream lifestyle.

I also cut the whole distracting bullshit and did meaningful work for 3-4 hours. I knew what mattered and I did it. I finished the whole thesis in 8-9 months, something I was struggling for 2 years.

To put it short:

1- Morning routines were crucial for me.
2- Keeping focus on things that mattered. (3-4 hours of meaningful work)

The rest was taken care by my momentum.

Mr. Bazz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Mar 23, 2019
Since leaving home a year ago to work inside a company, I have struggled with defining my purpose and with the questioning thought "Am I really supposed to be doing this job right now". Honestly, I relate some of my feelings and thoughts to what @MJ DeMarco calls the Desert of Desertion. As a former athlete, you can see a quick summary from my first post here , I was always very regimented. Coach telling me to do this at a certain time etc. I have struggled trying to keep up a similar regime now because i control my time, meaning I have to decide where to put my energy and effort.

Here's what has worked for me:

1.) Read the Book, The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod. This is a quick read that shows you steps that other people have taken to craft their perfect mornings. Essentially, all the important stuff personal development should take place in the morning because this is the only time you control.
- Through this practice, I read books such as , TMF by MJ and The Power Of Habit , Charles Duhigg. Both helped me define and refine my habits and purpose

2.) I have recrafted a new Purpose: This is my "why". Again, MJ helped me here. Rereading the TMF I realized that my purpose does not have to be attached to my work, currently in a job that I have a love-hate relationship with. My Purpose is my driving motivation when I question myself or am down, I pull out my purpose and ask myself. Is my current work driving me towards this? Usually does the trick and refocuses me.

3.) Narrow down focus to doing small things repeatedly for extended amounts of time. In your case, start small. It seems that you may be overwhelming yourself looking at the big picture (i.e. Family friends, networking and social life). Pick one from the list and focus on it. Gain positive momentum and move to the next one. I am not much older than you at 24 but I know, I get overwhelmed when I think of all the to-do's and not the 'next thing'

Hope this helps. I will definitely keep a spot light on your post!

-DB

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Journaling helps. Also ask yourself: Today what is the most important thing I should be aware of? Your health, work, calling your parents? That gives you a bit of direction in days you would otherwise feel a bit empty.

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
First of all, if you managing your schedule for real as you describe in your OP then you clearly should get a lot of stuff done. You definitely don't lack motivation.

If I were you, I would probably put the most work into shifting my mindset from "running Behind" to "I crush it". Because honestly, with this schedule, you do. The feeling "behind" might be coming from not getting the results, that you want to have quickly but don't emphasize on it, just do your best and the results will come.

Sleep: 5-6 hours per day

How do you cope with that? Do you feel great with that?
Sleeping less than you actually need, may also make feel you lethargic.

Money: 8-10 hours per day (Depends, but typically related to working on the supplement business, freelancing, and sometimes I throw in extra tasks like events/networking, etc.

I am just curious, how much of this is actually Deep Work? (I can't imagine, especially considering your tight schedule, you are super focused daily for 8 to 10 hours)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.