The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Direction?

GlowStickGuy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 14, 2020
Boise, ID
I've been lurking on this site for a little while but finally pulled the trigger to make an account.

A little background:

I am 24 and I work as a an engineer at a large tech company. I've worked there for almost 2 years. In that time I have paid off all my student loans ( around 35k ) and saved up another 30k. I realized I didn't want this engineer life pretty early on (1 month in ). The corporate games along with my future vision of what my life and career would become based on the older coworkers around me gave me an instant urge to get out.

Because of this I worked on a couple projects when I got off work to try to make some money. This included trying to sell a Crockpot Bodybuilding Guide which included different easy weekly meal plans to make along with all their nutritional values. The goal was to guide people through making food as cheap, tasty, and nutritious as possible with little effort. My other other idea was to try to sell giant dinosaur wall decals. They were actually pretty cool but almost impossible to put up without messing it up (unless you had already tried 30 times before like I had haha).

It was difficult to even work on other projects after coming home from my job. I was already mentally exhausted half way through the day let alone by the time I got home. My ideas never gained any traction and I quickly lost motivation.

After that I found and read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . I devoured them quite quickly and absolutely loved them.

I am now trying to take steps into my life to work toward my ultimate goal of financial freedom but am stuck at a crossroads. I feel like the biggest obstacle to making progress right now is my job. It is absolutely exhausting and sucks the life right out of me.

Many people advocate quitting their 9-5 job to pursue their big ideas while having a side hustle to financially support it. I've heard "Burn the ships" quite frequently and it seems to be a common theme .

I'm already planning on quitting my job in 3 months to get the full 2 years. ( waiting for my 401K to get fully vested and I don't have to pay back the relocation bonus )

Here is my current plan and would like some input:
  1. Work on my freelance programming for the next three months
  2. Quit my job
  3. Live off savings and minimize expenses while pursuing my ideas
  4. Freelance program if I need more money

As I said I have quite a bit of cash to live off of. Monthly expenses at this point are around $1200. Assuming I get health insurance after I quit my job that will go up to around $1600. Total money I should have saved up should by the time I quit is $40k.

That being said there are a couple questions that come up.

Looking around online many people say freelance programming wont get you that much money ( too much outsourced competition ). You will need multiple years of experience in a niche field. I have seen many people recommending copywriting with "only 2 months to learn" .

1. Would copywriting be a better alternative to programming since this fits more in the "entrepreneurial skills"? Are people using the same argument above with programming saying that you cannot make money in copywriting unless you also have multiple years experience in a niche field ( also too much outsourced competition )?
  2. Would it be best to look for an easy part time job that offers health insurance? How difficult would that be in the "looming economic depression"?
  3. Are all these questions and continuation of the job I loathe a consequence of analysis paralysis or even worse action faking?

Another idea I had would be to use some of my savings to purchase a multi room house to live in. This way I could theoretically live in one room and rent out the other ones essentially living rent free while my tenants pay my mortgage. This would give me a place to live for "free" while I work on my ideas. Of course there is a lot of overhead and a lot of time and financial investment with that idea. At this point it doesn't seem like that that would outweigh the benefits of the more hassle free "just renting from someone else and let them worry about the house" strategy while I can completely focus on my ideas.

Thanks for reading everyone! I look forward to meeting you guys and becoming part of the community!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alex1000

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 13, 2020
South Dakota
I've been lurking on this site for a little while but finally pulled the trigger to make an account.

A little background:

I am 24 and I work as a an engineer at a large tech company. I've worked there for almost 2 years. In that time I have paid off all my student loans ( around 35k ) and saved up another 30k. I realized I didn't want this engineer life pretty early on (1 month in ). The corporate games along with my future vision of what my life and career would become based on the older coworkers around me gave me an instant urge to get out.

Because of this I worked on a couple projects when I got off work to try to make some money. This included trying to sell a Crockpot Bodybuilding Guide which included different easy weekly meal plans to make along with all their nutritional values. The goal was to guide people through making food as cheap, tasty, and nutritious as possible with little effort. My other other idea was to try to sell giant dinosaur wall decals. They were actually pretty cool but almost impossible to put up without messing it up (unless you had already tried 30 times before like I had haha).

It was difficult to even work on other projects after coming home from my job. I was already mentally exhausted half way through the day let alone by the time I got home. My ideas never gained any traction and I quickly lost motivation.

After that I found and read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . I devoured them quite quickly and absolutely loved them.

I am now trying to take steps into my life to work toward my ultimate goal of financial freedom but am stuck at a crossroads. I feel like the biggest obstacle to making progress right now is my job. It is absolutely exhausting and sucks the life right out of me.

Many people advocate quitting their 9-5 job to pursue their big ideas while having a side hustle to financially support it. I've heard "Burn the ships" quite frequently and it seems to be a common theme .

I'm already planning on quitting my job in 3 months to get the full 2 years. ( waiting for my 401K to get fully vested and I don't have to pay back the relocation bonus )

2. Quit my job

As I said I have quite a bit of cash to live off of. Monthly expenses at this point are around $1200. Assuming I get health insurance after I quit my job that will go up to around $1600. Total money I should have saved up should by the time I quit is $40k.

Looking around online many people say freelance programming wont get you that much money ( too much outsourced competition ). You will need multiple years of experience in a niche field. I have seen many people recommending copywriting with "only 2 months to learn" .

1. Would copywriting be a better alternative to programming since this fits more in the "entrepreneurial skills"? Are people using the same argument above with programming saying that you cannot make money in copywriting unless you also have multiple years experience in a niche field ( also too much outsourced competition )?
  2. Would it be best to look for an easy part time job that offers health insurance? How difficult would that be in the "looming economic depression"?
  3. Are all these questions and continuation of the job I loathe a consequence of analysis paralysis or even worse action faking?

Another idea I had would be to use some of my savings to purchase a multi room house to live in. This way I could theoretically live in one room and rent out the other ones essentially living rent free while my tenants pay my mortgage. This would give me a place to live for "free" while I work on my ideas. Of course there is a lot of overhead and a lot of time and financial investment with that idea. At this point it doesn't seem like that that would outweigh the benefits of the more hassle free "just renting from someone else and let them worry about the house" strategy while I can completely focus on my ideas.

Thanks for reading everyone! I look forward to meeting you guys and becoming part of the community!
My guess from reading chapter 1 to 36 of book is programming or copy write might be basic skill
For building fastlane business, are sure it’s not a job, but business that you think about and build.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Welcome!

Forget a part time job, 2 years living expenses is a ton. If you want to focus on your plan of financial freedom whats up with thinking about freelancing? Is the goal to fight with cheap Asian developers for gigs that pay a few bucks or to be Unscripted ?

Think big!

Write down to yourself on a piece of paper all of your ideas, no matter how silly they sound and make one of them happen.

Games247

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 31, 2019

A little background:

2. Quit my job

Man reading your story it is so similar to mine. I went to welding school and lost interest halfway through, worked as a welder for awhile, and quit. I need some kind of small time passive income business so I can then pursue a bigger thing. Maybe you and I can team up!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why not focus on a business that is sustainable (so you can quit your job) instead of focusing on unsustainable freelancing? Not saying it's bad, but just somewhat of another time trade.

Welcome to the forum.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
To add on to MJ.
I am new to the forums, but was fortunate enough to make this years summit. Advice that was repeated a few times buy some guys that are killing it...
1. Get a job that makes as much money as possible .
2. Use that to invest in other avenues
3. Reinvest into steady income.

My 2 cents; keep the job until you can replace it with one that makes a lot more money or one that takes a lot less of your time for the same $ amount.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Welcome to FLF!

Are you able to focus on getting a customer for your business instead of thinking about freelancing or getting another job? We can agree that the critical path is the most important one.

All the skills you want to learn are best learned by doing. Might as well learn on an "as needed" basis while pursuing your ideas. You don't need to "burn the ships" or get a new job or start freelancing... the only thing you need is a customer. The rest of it will fall into place when you're helping someone. Spend that time and money building a business that is the system.

1. Are all these questions and continuation of the job I loathe a consequence of analysis paralysis or even worse action faking?

The mere fact that you're asking this question has to tell you something.

GlowStickGuy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 14, 2020
Boise, ID
Thanks all for the replies! I really appreciate the feedback!

Seems like the answer I was looking for was that I need to start focusing on actually building a business of some sorts while working at my job. More importantly it seems like my full time job was just an excuse for me not to make take action in the first place.

Guess the next step would be to organize my time better and cut out some of non-essential time sinks. We all get 24 hours a day but it's how you use it that counts. Thanks all!

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.