The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(23y/o) I've Been Sick & Cognitively Impaired for 2 Years... How Do I Keep Moving Forward?

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
STARTED PROGRESS THREAD HERE: EXECUTION - [PROGRESS THREAD] (23 y/o) Sick and cognitively impaired for 2 years... Doing the work anyway

Background:
I'm 23 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. I love business and have been pursuing that since college after reading TMF and realizing I did not want to work in Finance. I hit rat-race escape velocity before graduating in 2021 and have been an entrepreneur since then.
I was previously very physically healthy and sharp. I would eat clean foods and spend a lot of my free time rock climbing, weightlifting, and hiking at high elevations for 10+ miles in a day.
More than all of that, I love business. That is my true hobby and passion. I would work 10-hour days out of joy, not necessity.

I have two businesses:
  • Website management/maintenance service (not my preferred option to scale as it is very difficult for me to keep up with client communication. Profitability is not quite there for me to outsource all communication and client management.)
  • Automotive media company (primarily written blog content)
My income is split roughly 50/50 between these sources. The automotive media company is seeing growth and is my primary focus.

The Situation:
In November 2021 I developed post-viral syndrome which I am still dealing with to this day. I now deal with constant fatigue, vision issues, trouble breathing, and, most significantly, cognitive impairment.
My creativity and critical thinking skills are gone. I have short-term memory loss. I have difficulty communicating (worse communicating via phone or in-person, but also struggle to write). During my worst period (late 2022), I couldn't read. I would forget the first half of a sentence before reaching the end of the sentence. I am also living in a constant dream-like state. The cognitive impairment is similar to being in a concussed state.
I've only been able to work 2-3 hours per day, despite my desire to work much more than that. My body and mind will shut down for hours, days, or weeks if I push myself.
I have made some improvements and can now work 4-5 hours per day on average, but unfortunately, those hours tend to be low quality as my creativity and critical thinking skills are not there. I also have trouble seeing the big picture of my businesses. I can only work in very short bursts, followed by extended breaks.

The Problem:
I have been able to continue my businesses and have seen slight, steady growth, but I am worried that it will fall apart.
I need to get moving faster within 12 months so I can continue to afford to live and take care of my health. I have higher-than-normal expenses because I have to eat a very specific, expensive diet. I also have medical costs and a health coach that are required to keep me on track.
And of course, it's very frustrating that I have been missing out on my passion, business, as my ventures just began taking off in a positive direction right before I got sick. I feel like I want to run, but my feet are glued in place.
If I was forced to get a job, it would not be an option. I can only work in short 15-minute bursts and cannot do physical labor.

My Current Approach:
I am in a tough situation here. I have high personal expenses due to my health and my income is not quite where it needs to be. I have 12 months before my expenses will go up even more.
I can't devote more time and hustle my way out of this. My brain will stop functioning and it will only make my health worse.
My best approach so far is hiring others to help grow the businesses. However, my expenses are already very high so this crushes me even more. I also struggle as a leader and visionary because my creativity and communication skills are drastically hindered.

How the hell do I manage and get myself out of this situation?

I am not looking for health advice, as I have plenty of resources on that and spend most of my time on my health. However, if you've dealt with something similar and might have something that could be helpful, please feel free to PM me.

This was very difficult for me to write, but it's been something I've wanted to put out there for a long time. I really appreciate your responses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
Sorry to hear that but may I know what is the cause of your cognitive impairment?

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Background:
I'm 23 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. I love business and have been pursuing that since college after reading TMF and realizing I did not want to work in Finance. I hit rat-race escape velocity before graduating in 2021 and have been an entrepreneur since then.
I was previously very physically healthy and sharp. I would eat clean foods and spend a lot of my free time rock climbing, weightlifting, and hiking at high elevations for 10+ miles in a day.
More than all of that, I love business. That is my true hobby and passion. I would work 10-hour days out of joy, not necessity.

I have two businesses:
  • Website management/maintenance service (not my preferred option to scale as it is very difficult for me to keep up with client communication. Profitability is not quite there for me to outsource all communication and client management.)
My income is split roughly 50/50 between these sources. The automotive media company is seeing growth and is my primary focus.

The Situation:
In November 2021 I developed post-viral syndrome which I am still dealing with to this day. I now deal with constant fatigue, vision issues, trouble breathing, and, most significantly, cognitive impairment.
My creativity and critical thinking skills are gone. I have short-term memory loss. I have difficulty communicating (worse communicating via phone or in-person, but also struggle to write). During my worst period (late 2022), I couldn't read. I would forget the first half of a sentence before reaching the end of the sentence. I am also living in a constant dream-like state. The cognitive impairment is similar to being in a concussed state.
I've only been able to work 2-3 hours per day, despite my desire to work much more than that. My body and mind will shut down for hours, days, or weeks if I push myself.
I have made some improvements and can now work 4-5 hours per day on average, but unfortunately, those hours tend to be low quality as my creativity and critical thinking skills are not there. I also have trouble seeing the big picture of my businesses. I can only work in very short bursts, followed by extended breaks.

The Problem:
I have been able to continue my businesses and have seen slight, steady growth, but I am worried that it will fall apart.
I need to get moving faster within 12 months so I can continue to afford to live and take care of my health. I have higher-than-normal expenses because I have to eat a very specific, expensive diet. I also have medical costs and a health coach that are required to keep me on track.
And of course, it's very frustrating that I have been missing out on my passion, business, as my ventures just began taking off in a positive direction right before I got sick. I feel like I want to run, but my feet are glued in place.
If I was forced to get a job, it would not be an option. I can only work in short 15-minute bursts and cannot do physical labor.

My Current Approach:
I am in a tough situation here. I have high personal expenses due to my health and my income is not quite where it needs to be. I have 12 months before my expenses will go up even more.
I can't devote more time and hustle my way out of this. My brain will stop functioning and it will only make my health worse.
My best approach so far is hiring others to help grow the businesses. However, my expenses are already very high so this crushes me even more. I also struggle as a leader and visionary because my creativity and communication skills are drastically hindered.

I am not looking for health advice, as I have plenty of resources on that and spend most of my time on my health. However, if you've dealt with something similar and might have something that could be helpful, please feel free to PM me.

This was very difficult for me to write, but it's been something I've wanted to put out there for a long time. I really appreciate your responses.

If you're not "disabled" then I'm afraid your only way out is to hire, but only out of low COL countries like the PH. I had a TBI in 2019 and my business would've fallen apart if it weren't for my staff and systems.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019

If you're not "disabled" then I'm afraid your only way out is to hire. I had a TBI in 2019 and my business would've fallen apart if it weren't for my staff and systems.
Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't I have to wait until my income falls apart to potentially qualify for something like this? If so, at least good to know there might be a fallback.
Good to know that your staff and systems were helpful. Definitely something I will continue to focus on. Just difficult to get past the mountain of expenses I need to incur in the meantime and a constant fear that it won't pay off in time.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Background:

I have two businesses:

The Situation:

The Problem:

My Current Approach:

You are in a tough situation. I am 63 and a Covid stroke survivor and long hauler. Do you have family support?

You are going to have to work on your health first. For me getting back into the gym and working out helps me mentally. Even though it helps me, I still have to drag my butt out of the chair and work out even when I don't want to. I decided to have 1 good day start to finish, then I added another, then it was a week and on and on. No one knows exactly what you are going through and no one can get through it but you. When I was in cognitive therapy it wore me out. I would sleep 10-12 hours a day after a session. Over time I got better and had to sleep less for recovery. Breathing and exercise followed as I improved. The more I pushed the more success I had and the more confident I became. My wind has not fully recovered yet but I work on it regularly. I play online chess a lot, that gives me a tangible metric to see how I am doing mentally. Celebrate any progress no matter how small. Mental recovery is slow and you can't push it, but you can feed it and support it during your recovery. I also got out of any long haulers support groups because it was too depressing for me.

The suggestion on the business side would be to clearly document your recovery for others to see the process you are going through. IT will also provide evidence to you about your own progress.

I wish you well.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I think this is key. You said you’re seeing growth, but you’re anxious you’re going to lose it. Is there any factual evidence suggesting the growth is going to stop/reverse?

Can you balance the hiring with some hustle of your own? Can you outsource the worst task and handle something lighter without outsourcing the whole thing? If the 80/20 rule applies, can you outsource that essential 20% to press on for you?

I understand where you’re coming from. I have some mental health ailments I need to manage and my meds messed up my cognition for a long time. Make sure you have whatever supplement/aid you need so you can do the right things every day (Eat well, work out, sleep well, etc)

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
You are in a tough situation. I am 63 and a Covid stroke survivor and long hauler. Do you have family support?

You are going to have to work on your health first. For me getting back into the gym and working out helps me mentally. Even though it helps me, I still have to drag my butt out of the chair and work out even when I don't want to. I decided to have 1 good day start to finish, then I added another, then it was a week and on and on. No one knows exactly what you are going through and no one can get through it but you. When I was in cognitive therapy it wore me out. I would sleep 10-12 hours a day after a session. Over time I got better and had to sleep less for recovery. Breathing and exercise followed as I improved. The more I pushed the more success I had and the more confident I became. My wind has not fully recovered yet but I work on it regularly. I play online chess a lot, that gives me a tangible metric to see how I am doing mentally. Celebrate any progress no matter how small. Mental recovery is slow and you can't push it, but you can feed it and support it during your recovery. I also got out of any long haulers support groups because it was too depressing for me.

The suggestion on the business side would be to clearly document your recovery for others to see the process you are going through. IT will also provide evidence to you about your own progress.

I wish you well.
I have some family support but not too much. I will not end up homeless if things fall apart, but I would surely end up back in the mobile home with my mother that I worked so hard to get out of. That would surely not help my health.

I read briefly through parts of your thread. Glad you're on the road of recovery. Unfortunately I developed post-exertion malaise and I can only walk 10-15 minutes. Anything further than that will be detrimental. Going back to the gym is what led me to my worst point. I have an ultra low intensity "workout" program I am following.
Interesting idea to document my progress publict. I will seriously consider it and will likely do so. It will eat up some of my precious time, but perhaps may be worth doing.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
I think this is key. You said you’re seeing growth, but you’re anxious you’re going to lose it. Is there any factual evidence suggesting the growth is going to stop/reverse?

Can you balance the hiring with some hustle of your own? Can you outsource the worst task and handle something lighter without outsourcing the whole thing? If the 80/20 rule applies, can you outsource that essential 20% to press on for you?

I understand where you’re coming from. I have some mental health ailments I need to manage and my meds messed up my cognition for a long time. Make sure you have whatever supplement/aid you need so you can do the right things every day (Eat well, work out, sleep well, etc)
I had my primary revenue source for the automotive business get cut in half (overnight) about 3 months ago, so I think that is causing me some anxiety. I've almost recovered it back to where it was, which is great, but now that has me worried it will happen again (which probably isn't super likely since I've made the corrections I believe to be necessary with the guidance of 2 experts I hired).

I think I've done a good job at hiring out most of heavy tasks that bog me down, but I'm still having to handle the content strategy which I don't think I could afford to outsource at the moment. Not even sure if I can afford to outsource everything that I am already, but it's an investment which I believe will pay off based on past results.

It's also a struggle because I have such a passion for business and have an itch to do more, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for your response.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I relate to 80% of the things you said except for the physical impairment.

It says post-viral syndrome usually lasts anywhere from a few months to a year+, so I'm wondering, are you expected to get better? If so, considering you've been seeing slow but steady growth, I say just keep at it and focus on resting rather than scaling until you recover.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
I relate to 80% of the things you said except for the physical impairment.

It says post-viral syndrome usually lasts anywhere from a few months to a year+, so I'm wondering, are you expected to get better? If so, considering you've been seeing slow but steady growth, I say just keep at it and focus on resting rather than scaling until you recover.
Yes I am expected to recover, but the timeline could be quite long, or quite short. It's really quite random.

Thanks for your input.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Man I feel you...I've been working on my mental & physical health for 5+ years now - I was a mess back then and finally I'm "waking up" from it all. Its a f***ing journey and many people simply dont understand when we KNOW we used to be one way, and now we're not.
I haven't been "me" since I've been on this forum.
Several recent things have been a game changer though...shooting you a PM - hope I can help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.