The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] (24 y/o) Sick and cognitively impaired for 2 years... Doing the work anyway

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
tl;dr - I am 24 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. Huge passion for business. Previously very healthy. Sick since November 2021 with suspected chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) caused by mold exposure and kicked into gear when sick with a virus. I have debilitating cognitive impairment, vision issues, fatigue, etc. Can only work a couple of hours per day. Have a website management business and a digital business acquisition company. Getting the work done anyway!

Background:
I'm 24 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. I love business and have been pursuing that since college after reading TMF and realizing I did not want to work in Finance. I hit rat-race escape velocity before graduating in 2021 and have been an entrepreneur since.

I was previously physically healthy and mentally sharp. I would eat clean foods and spend my free time rock climbing, weightlifting, and hiking at high elevations for 10+ miles in a day.

More than all of that, I love business. That is my true hobby and passion. I would work 10-hour days out of joy, not necessity.

I have two businesses:
  • Website management/maintenance service
    • Originally decided not to scale this, but now it is my primary focus
  • Online business acquisition company

My Health Situation and Constraints:
In November 2021 I developed post-viral syndrome which I am still dealing with to this day. We suspect it is chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) caused by mold exposure while living in several water-damaged buildings throughout my life. About 20% of the population can't naturally detox mold from their system due to genetics. When I got sick with a rough virus, it sent my body over the edge into chronic inflammation. I now deal with constant fatigue, vision issues, trouble breathing, and, most significantly, cognitive impairment.

My creativity and critical thinking skills are gone. I have short-term memory loss. I have difficulty communicating (worse via phone or in-person, but also struggle to write). During my worst period (late 2022), I couldn't read. I would forget the first half of a sentence before reaching the end of the sentence. I am also living in a constant dream-like state. The cognitive impairment is similar to being badly concussed.

I've only been able to work 2-3 hours per day, despite my desire to work much more than that. My body and mind will shut down for hours, days, or weeks if I push myself.

When I am able to work, the work is very challenging as my creativity and critical thinking skills are not there. I have trouble seeing the big picture of my businesses. I can only work in 10-20 minute bursts, followed by extended breaks. Of course, I have days where I am knocked down and can work very little (if at all).

The Plan:
Many entrepreneurs are told that they need to hustle and put in crazy hours to make their businesses succeed. This is not a possibility for me. I must leverage people and systems to scale. I must hire experts to fill in my mental gaps and lack of creativity/critical thinking skills. All this must be done on a limited budget because I have plenty of health-related expenses right now (medications, doctor visits, special diet, etc.).

Website management business:
  • $7,500 average monthly revenue.
  • 50% net profit margin.
  • Focused on maintaining, not scaling.
Currently running Google Search ads. Recently rebranded and lowered pricing significantly. I optimized our internal processes and the structure of our pricing plans to deliver nearly the same service for much lower labor.

The website management business is a solid base on income while the other business can be much more volatile.

Online business acquisition company:
  • Monthly revenue:
    • Jan-2023: $800
    • Feb-2023: $761
    • Mar-2023: $1,505
    • Apr-2023: $3,820
    • May-2023: $6,400
    • Jun-2023: $6,650
    • Sep-2023: $10,200
    • Oct-2023: $12,500
    • Nov-2023: $15,000
  • Started in Summer 2022, although technically I've been buying/selling websites since 2017. Just finally taking it seriously.
  • I have three web assets under this company right now. One is 1.5 years old and generating revenue; the second is new and not generating revenue, the third is one that I started in 2019, sold in 2021, and bought back in 2023 for 15% of what I sold it for
  • The traffic on my revenue-generating website was hit by a Google update in April 2023 and I lost half of the revenue overnight. I've recovered and greatly surpassed the revenue about 2-3 months later.
  • Current portfolio:
    • Website #1
      • Automotive
      • Generating 98% of income for this business
      • Started in May 2022.
      • Planning to sell for $80-150k (formerly expected to sell for $400k+)
    • Website #2
      • Automotive
      • Started in April 2023
      • Looking to continue growth so it can start generating revenue
      • Will be expanding more into YouTube
    • Website #3
      • Agriculture
      • I started in 2019, sold in 2021, and bought back in 2023 for 15% of what I sold it for. Sold it again because I don't have time for it.
I bought a brand-new car a couple of weeks before I got sick. I wouldn't call it a mistake, but I realized wasn't looking forward to the monthly payments and depreciation that would affect my net worth. I started a website about the car in hopes of paying for my car payment. I've started a few small side-project websites in the past which have generated $100-500 per month. Nothing crazy.

Eventually, this website covered my monthly car payment.... Then my insurance... Then repairs... Then eventually got to $5,000+ per month in revenue in about 6 months. Now it's doing nearly $15k per month.

Unfortunately, with Google algorithm changes that are punishing small sites, traffic (and revenue has dropped 80-90% and still trending down. Trying to sell this site and focus on my website management business.

The Goal of This Thread:
There are a few things that I want to accomplish by starting this thread:
  • Personal growth tracker
    • I'm sure I've accomplished a lot while being sick... but I can't remember anything! I must track this to have gratitude.
  • Inspiration for others
    • If I can get the work done, so can you. With my severe constraints, there is no time for busy work. All my activities MUST be moving the businesses forward.
  • Seeking business advice from others
    • I really struggle to see the big picture with my business. My brain just can't zoom out and strategize. My creativity and idea-generation machine is gone. Getting business input from others would be greatly beneficial so I can generate new ideas and stay on track.

Business Goals:
These business goals need more work, but we'll start with this.
  • Website #1: Selling for at least $75k as soon as possible. Missed out on hundreds of thousands of $ because of the traffic downturn, but the site grew more than I ever would've expected. Trying to see the positive side.
  • Website #2: Grow to at least $5k month profit with a $50-60k investment.
  • Website #3: SOLD for $3k

Notes:
  • I am not directly seeking health advice. I have plenty of resources on that and spend most of my time on my health. However, if you've dealt with something similar and might have something that could be helpful, please feel free to PM me.
  • Frequency of updates:
    • I will update this progress thread weekly.
    • I will be focusing on business updates but may add occasional health updates.
    • I may occasionally add some quick updates during the week.

Let's do the work!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Inspiration for others
  • If I can get the work done, so can you. With my severe constraints, there is no time for busy work. All my activities MUST be moving the businesses forward.
:gold:

Thank you for making this thread.

Good luck, you will conquer this!

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Quickly posting the plans for the week.

Ongoing Weekly Plans:
  • Publish 2 articles on Website #1
  • Publish 3 articles on Website #2
  • Communicate and complete requests for the website management business
  • Complete all overhead company tasks

Monday-Tuesday:
  • Heavy optimization of website speed as part of my recovery plan for Website #1, as instructed by my SEO recovery expert.
  • Replicate speed optimizations on Website #2.
  • Complete research on 2 remaining content briefs for Website #2
^^ Completed Monday within 5 hours. Hired someone to take care of the website speed optimization. It is a more advanced speed optimization job; not your typical plugin installation (includes website migration, Cloudflare Enterprise setup, and more). Takes this 100% off my plate and they will do a much better job than me.

Wednesday-Friday:
  • Complete other improvements on list as part of SEO recovery plan
  • Optimize 3 posts daily as part of my SEO recovery plan for Website #1
  • Meet with SEO recovery expert on Friday to discuss next week's recovery/growth plans for Website #1
  • Prepare and schedule newsletters for Websites #1 and #2

Saturday:
  • Create 3 content briefs for Website #2
  • Monthly financial review

Sunday:
  • Create 3 content briefs for Website #1

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is your health situation permanent, or something more fluid? It seems like you accepted it as a state of normal. Appreciate the post, hope you feel better!

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Is your health situation permanent, or something more fluid? It seems like you accepted it as a state of normal. Appreciate the post, hope you feel better!
I do not anticipate it to be permanent, but I'm hoping for no more than 1-3 years left of this. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing and it is entirely possible there could be some permanent effects.
Thank you!

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
tl;dr - I am 23 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. Huge passion for business. Previously very healthy. Sick with post-viral syndrome since November 2021 causing cognitive impairment, vision issues, fatigue, etc. Can only work a few hours per day. Have a website management business (maintaining this) and an automotive media business (scaling this). Getting the work done anyway!

Background:
I'm 23 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. I love business and have been pursuing that since college after reading TMF and realizing I did not want to work in Finance. I hit rat-race escape velocity before graduating in 2021 and have been an entrepreneur since.

I was previously physically healthy and mentally sharp. I would eat clean foods and spend my free time rock climbing, weightlifting, and hiking at high elevations for 10+ miles in a day.

More than all of that, I love business. That is my true hobby and passion. I would work 10-hour days out of joy, not necessity.

I have two businesses:
  • Website management/maintenance service (not my preferred option to scale as it is very difficult for me to keep up with client communication. Profitability is not quite there for me to outsource all communication and client management.)
  • Automotive media company (primarily written blog content)
My income is split roughly 50/50 between these sources at the time of this original post. The automotive media company is seeing growth and is my primary focus. My goal is to maintain the website management business, or even let it slowly fizzle out over the course of several years.

In November 2021 I developed post-viral syndrome which I am still dealing with to this day. I now deal with constant fatigue, vision issues, trouble breathing, and, most significantly, cognitive impairment.

My creativity and critical thinking skills are gone. I have short-term memory loss. I have difficulty communicating (worse via phone or in-person, but also struggle to write). During my worst period (late 2022), I couldn't read. I would forget the first half of a sentence before reaching the end of the sentence. I am also living in a constant dream-like state. The cognitive impairment is similar to being badly concussed.

I've only been able to work 2-3 hours per day, despite my desire to work much more than that. My body and mind will shut down for hours, days, or weeks if I push myself.

I have made some improvements and can now work 4-5 hours per day on average, but unfortunately, those hours tend to be low quality as my creativity and critical thinking skills are not there. I have trouble seeing the big picture of my businesses. I can only work in 15-20 minute bursts, followed by extended breaks. Of course, I have days where I am knocked down and can work very little (if at all).

The Plan:
Many entrepreneurs are told that they need to hustle and put in crazy hours to make their businesses succeed. This is not a possibility for me. I must leverage people and systems to scale. I must hire experts to fill in my mental gaps and lack of creativity/critical thinking skills. All this must be done on a limited budget because I have plenty of health-related expenses right now (medications, doctor visits, special diet, etc.).

• 50% net profit margin.
I am using my website management business as a solid base of income while I build my other business. This business is difficult for me to keep up with because of the communication with clients, but that's mostly just true when it's growing. The cost to acquire a customer is too high and it wouldn't make financial sense for me (at the moment) to hire an account manager. Maintaining the business is not too difficult, so I don't feel a need to shut it down. I'm not too fond of this business overall and would like to slowly move on over the coming years.

Automotive media company:
  • $6,500 per month.
  • Focused on scaling this.
  • The profit margin is highly volatile at the moment while I am starting a new site, but otherwise, the margin is well above 50%.
  • I have two web assets under this company right now. One is 1 year old and generating revenue; the other is new and not generating revenue.
  • The traffic on my revenue-generating website was hit by a Google update in April 2023 and I lost half of the revenue overnight. I've nearly recovered the revenue about 2-3 months later.
  • Current portfolio:
    • Website #1 - Generating 98% of income for this business. Started in May 2022.
    • Website #2 - Started in April 2023. Same strategy as Website #1.
    • Website #3 - Several years old. Only generates $50-150 per month. Currently being sold via Flippa.
I bought a brand-new car a couple of weeks before I got sick. I wouldn't call it a mistake, but I realized wasn't looking forward to the monthly payments and depreciation that would affect my net worth. I started a website about the car in hopes of paying for my car payment. I've started a few small side-project websites in the past which have generated $100-500 per month. Nothing crazy.

Eventually, this website covered my monthly car payment.... Then my insurance... Then repairs... Then eventually got to $5,000+ per month in revenue in about 6 months. Since this model is working, I enjoy it, and it is extremely flexible, I believe this business is my best pursuit at the moment. I am continuing to grow this site and have started a second site using the same framework. I'm not generating any revenue on the new site yet because it is only a couple of months old.

The Goal of This Thread:
    • I'm sure I've accomplished a lot while being sick... but I can't remember anything! I must track this to have gratitude.
  • Inspiration for others
  • Seeking advice from others
    • I really struggle to see the big picture with my business. My brain just can't zoom out and strategize. My creativity and idea-generation machine is gone. Getting business input from others would be greatly beneficial so I can generate new ideas and stay on track.

Business Goals:
  • Website #1: Grow to at least $5,500 average net profit for the trailing 12 months, then sell. This should give me $200,000+ to use as a personal safety net and investment in future websites. It would be ideal to accomplish this by May 2024.
  • Website #2: Grow to $20,000 monthly revenue by April 2026.

Notes:
  • I am not directly seeking health advice. I have plenty of resources on that and spend most of my time on my health. However, if you've dealt with something similar and might have something that could be helpful, please feel free to PM me.
  • Frequency of updates:

Let's do the work!
You are doing wonderful. You seem to have a burning desire for business and I can completely relate. You also have a long enough time horizon to ensure you will reach it. I really hope you overshoot your targets and make significantly more. All the best buddy!

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
tl;dr - I am 23 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. Huge passion for business. Previously very healthy. Sick with post-viral syndrome since November 2021 causing cognitive impairment, vision issues, fatigue, etc. Can only work a few hours per day. Have a website management business (maintaining this) and an automotive media business (scaling this). Getting the work done anyway!

Background:
I'm 23 years old. Recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ. I love business and have been pursuing that since college after reading TMF and realizing I did not want to work in Finance. I hit rat-race escape velocity before graduating in 2021 and have been an entrepreneur since.

I have two businesses:
  • Website management/maintenance service (not my preferred option to scale as it is very difficult for me to keep up with client communication. Profitability is not quite there for me to outsource all communication and client management.)
  • Automotive media company (primarily written blog content)
My income is split roughly 50/50 between these sources at the time of this original post. The automotive media company is seeing growth and is my primary focus. My goal is to maintain the website management business, or even let it slowly fizzle out over the course of several years.

In November 2021 I developed post-viral syndrome which I am still dealing with to this day. I now deal with constant fatigue, vision issues, trouble breathing, and, most significantly, cognitive impairment.

I have made some improvements and can now work 4-5 hours per day on average, but unfortunately, those hours tend to be low quality as my creativity and critical thinking skills are not there. I have trouble seeing the big picture of my businesses. I can only work in 15-20 minute bursts, followed by extended breaks. Of course, I have days where I am knocked down and can work very little (if at all).

The Plan:

• 50% net profit margin.
I am using my website management business as a solid base of income while I build my other business. This business is difficult for me to keep up with because of the communication with clients, but that's mostly just true when it's growing. The cost to acquire a customer is too high and it wouldn't make financial sense for me (at the moment) to hire an account manager. Maintaining the business is not too difficult, so I don't feel a need to shut it down. I'm not too fond of this business overall and would like to slowly move on over the coming years.

Automotive media company:
  • $6,500 per month.
  • Focused on scaling this.
  • The profit margin is highly volatile at the moment while I am starting a new site, but otherwise, the margin is well above 50%.
  • I have two web assets under this company right now. One is 1 year old and generating revenue; the other is new and not generating revenue.
  • The traffic on my revenue-generating website was hit by a Google update in April 2023 and I lost half of the revenue overnight. I've nearly recovered the revenue about 2-3 months later.
  • Current portfolio:
    • Website #1 - Generating 98% of income for this business. Started in May 2022.
    • Website #2 - Started in April 2023. Same strategy as Website #1.
    • Website #3 - Several years old. Only generates $50-150 per month. Currently being sold via Flippa.

Eventually, this website covered my monthly car payment.... Then my insurance... Then repairs... Then eventually got to $5,000+ per month in revenue in about 6 months. Since this model is working, I enjoy it, and it is extremely flexible, I believe this business is my best pursuit at the moment. I am continuing to grow this site and have started a second site using the same framework. I'm not generating any revenue on the new site yet because it is only a couple of months old.

The Goal of This Thread:
  • Inspiration for others
  • Seeking advice from others

Business Goals:
  • Website #1: Grow to at least $5,500 average net profit for the trailing 12 months, then sell. This should give me $200,000+ to use as a personal safety net and investment in future websites. It would be ideal to accomplish this by May 2024.
  • Website #2: Grow to $20,000 monthly revenue by April 2026.

Notes:
  • Frequency of updates:

Let's do the work!
Holy crap man, you’re crushing it. Keep us updated, hope you get better soon.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 6/26/2023-7/1/2023

Major Progress:
As mentioned previously, my top-earning website (Website #1) took a 50% traffic hit overnight in mid-April. I hired two experts to help me turn the site around. This week the site has been restored to the previous traffic levels!

Website #1 is now on track for 170k monthly pageviews and $7,000+ per month and will continue growing. Pretty fantastic for a site that is only 1 year old!

I will continue to work with the SEO expert to strategize future growth. I will now refer to this as my SEO growth plan, rather than a recovery plan.

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 29

Monday was off to a strong start. I decided to off-load my website optimization to the SEO expert because it was too advanced for me to have time to figure out. I finished all of Monday's and Tuesday's work on Monday.

Tuesday was rough. I overexerted myself and had to spend the whole day Tuesday and half of Wednesday recovering (I have post-exertion malaise).

Regardless, I was able to pull through and finished all planned tasks:
  • Communicate and complete client requests for the website management business
  • Heavy optimization of website speed as part of my recovery plan for Website #1, as instructed by my SEO recovery expert.
  • Replicate speed optimizations on Website #2.
  • Complete research on 2 remaining content briefs for Website #2
  • Complete other improvements on list as part of SEO recovery plan
  • Optimize 3 posts daily as part of my SEO recovery plan for Website #1
  • Meet with SEO recovery expert on Friday to discuss next week's recovery/growth plans for Website #1
  • Prepare and schedule newsletters for Websites #1 and #2
  • Monthly financial review
    • Reconcile accounts
    • Separate P&Ls for each website
    • Pay contractors
    • etc.

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:
Monday-Friday:
  • Set up systems for a concierge car shopping service that we "MVP"-launched a couple of weeks ago.
    • This is a service where we should for vehicle quotes on behalf of buyers.
    • We received 2 sales @ $195 each during the Beta launch and got TONS of leads.
    • The price will be raised to $295.
    • We've hired a contractor to take care of the shopping process.
    • We expect a lot more growth potential with this after we optimize our marketing/sales process and automate the fulfillment with the contractor.
    • Includes setting up automated email sequence and an website portal for the contractor to manage leads in connection with Trello
  • Complete research for 1 article (our research assistant will be handling research for 7 articles this week).
  • Perform content refreshes on 1 article per day on Website #1 as part of SEO growth strategy
  • Execute long list of optimizations as discussed on Friday as part of SEO growth strategy
    • This will be replicated on Websites #1 and #2
    • Includes technical SEO optimizations, design changes, internal linking improvements, and much more
  • Meet with SEO expert on Friday to review this week's changes and plan next week's changes
  • Plan media and research collection for upcoming vehicle rental on July 14-15
  • Launch a new website for one of my website management customers (finished the design last week)
Saturday-Sunday:
  • Create 4 content briefs for Website #1

Last edited:

NakedAmbition

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Sep 3, 2018
Congrats on the gains! I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm someone who can relate and you've given me hope and inspiration.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
This week the site has been restored to the previous traffic levels!
I'm curious what your guy's diagnosis was on the problem, and what you did to fix it.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
I'm curious what your guy's diagnosis was on the problem, and what you did to fix it.
The site was hit with the April 2023 Reviews Google update. Although the site doesn't directly review cars or anything, Google expanded their review guidelines to cover a lot more topics. Since I have a lot of articles explaining different features of specific cars and other things that a potential car buyer might view, they decided my website is relevant to their reviews update guidelines.

What we've done so far to address this:
  • Go back through old content and refresh it in accordance with these guidelines
    • I've only worked on maybe 10 posts so far, so there's a long way to go with this
  • Make a plan for future content to follow these guidelines
  • Identify new content ideas based on existing data
  • Improve About page and author bio pages (and a ton of other EEAT adjustments, like changing my site email address to domain-based)
  • Improve website speed (the site was already quick and on good hosting, but this guy took my site to another level)
There were so many small tasks involved in this process so it's a lot more granular than what I listed above.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Since my automotive media business is my main focus, I posted detailed monthly revenue numbers that I will continue to update in the first post to show my progression.

Monthly revenue:
  • On track for $8,000+ in Sep-2023 (2-month payout delay)

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Since my automotive media business is my main focus, I posted detailed monthly revenue numbers that I will continue to update in the first post to show my progression.

Monthly revenue:
  • On track for $8,000+ in Sep-2023 (2-month payout delay)

What are the revenue streams for your main biz?

Other than your own sweat equity, what kinds of costs are associated with generating this revenue?

Love this thread dude.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
What are the revenue streams for your main biz?

Other than your own sweat equity, what kinds of costs are associated with generating this revenue?

Love this thread dude.
About 80% display ad revenue, 20% affiliate revenue.

Just launched a service where we car shop on people's behalf. We did $400 through one email blast and we didn't have a good follow-up system or sales process.

Right now costs are about $1500-2000k each site per month for 3 articles per week on each site.

I plan to keep this thread going for quite a long time so there will be great things to come!

Let me know if you think there's any other info I should be including in my updates.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Great thread. Your timing is perfect. I've been dealing with something very similar, and like you, I have a tough time working for extended periods. I hope you recover fully, but it's good that you aren't letting the setbacks keep you back. I'll keep this thread bookmarked to remind me to keep just as disciplined.

Keep the updates coming!

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Great thread. Your timing is perfect. I've been dealing with something very similar, and like you, I have a tough time working for extended periods. I hope you recover fully, but it's good that you aren't letting the setbacks keep you back. I'll keep this thread bookmarked to remind me to keep just as disciplined.

Keep the updates coming!
Thanks! Feel free to reach out to me if you need any support and I'll respond whenever I can.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 7/2/2023-7/9/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 27.5

I struggled with my health this week, especially towards the end. Some items did not get accomplished (see below), but also for good reason. I likely could have finished the content briefs, but I felt it would be better for my health if start taking Saturdays and Sundays (almost) off for a maximum of 1 hour of work each day. Then, I can use those days to relax and work on general business strategies without being in front of a screen (podcasts, etc.).

Rescheduling the content briefs was a great choice because it gave me some extra headspace and I've had some clarity about where I'm looking to take my automotive media business in general.

Overall, the strategy of the company is to own a portfolio of valuable, cash-flowing web-based businesses (buy, grow, hold, and sell online businesses and web assets). This includes expanding away from Automotive.

Right now I'm really focused on bringing on more team members to take more of my time out of the business. I've hired out all of the easy stuff, so I need to start working on SOPs and streamlining processes. This will be difficult to do while maintaining my normal workload.

Completed:
  • Sold one of my very small websites and transferred assets ($5k sale) - Good to get this out of my portfolio
  • Set up systems for a concierge car shopping service that we "MVP"-launched a couple of weeks ago.
    • This is a service where we should for vehicle quotes on behalf of buyers.
    • We received 2 sales @ $195 each during the Beta launch and got TONS of leads.
    • The price will be raised to $295.
    • We've hired a contractor to take care of the shopping process.
    • We expect a lot more growth potential with this after we optimize our marketing/sales process and automate the fulfillment with the contractor.
    • Setting up automated email sequence
  • Complete research for 1 article (our research assistant will be handling research for 7 articles this week).
  • Perform content refreshes on 1 article per day on Website #1 as part of SEO growth strategy
  • Execute long list of optimizations as discussed on Friday as part of SEO growth strategy
    • This will be replicated on Websites #1 and #2
    • Includes technical SEO optimizations, design changes, internal linking improvements, and much more
  • Plan media and research collection for upcoming vehicle rental on July 14-15
  • Launch a new website for one of my website management customers (finished the design last week)
Incomplete:
    • (Only created 1)
  • Create 4 content briefs for Website #1
    • (Only created 1)
  • Website portal for the contractor to manage leads in connection with Trello
    • (Not too much of a priority until we get our next sale, so I pushed this task to the side for now since I did not have the capacity)
  • Meet with SEO expert on Friday to review this week's changes and plan next week's changes
    • (Meeting had to be canceled due to my SEO guy being off for the week. Did not really halt any progress.)

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:

Monday-Wednesday:
  • Create 2 content briefs for Website #2
  • Refresh 3 content pieces for Website #1
  • Meet with SEO expert
  • Client meeting for website management business
Thursday-Sunday:
  • 4-day "vacation" in Telluride, Colorado
  • Researching a truck while in Telluride
    • 9 features to research, test, and photograph
    • 1 modification to install and document on the vehicle
    • Maybe produce a video if I feel mentally capable of being on camera
  • Upkeep with my normal tasks, but will try to take most of my time off to relax (which I don't like to do!)

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 7/10/2023-7/16/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 32.5

I had a few good days this week! Been trying some strategies to calm the nervous system. Only minor improvement with brain fog, but mostly saw improvements with my vision and fatigue. I noticed I did a better job at verbal communication this week. Also felt much more emotions than normal. Usually, I genuinely cannot experience laughter or joy, but there were several moments this week where I genuinely laughed (which felt weird since I haven't laughed in months). Sounds strange, but I seriously have not had a real, genuine laugh in months because of blunted emotions.

Today I feel worse, which is not surprising at all. I have a very sensitive, strict diet because I am histamine intolerant and did not have access to my required foods while on the trip. I also expended more energy than usual. I expect to feel improvements after a couple of days of resting.

Business-wise, everything went great. I completed all planned tasks, plus some extra tasks.
Website #1 revenue is going great. On track for $10k-12k per month soon!

Completed:
  • Create 2 content briefs for Website #2
  • Refresh 3 content pieces for Website #1
  • Meet with SEO expert
  • Client meeting for website management business
  • 4-day "vacation" in Telluride, Colorado
  • Researching a truck while in Telluride
    • 9 features to research, test, and photograph
    • 1 modification to install and document on the vehicle
    • Maybe produce a video if I feel mentally capable of being on camera
  • Upkeep with my normal tasks, but will try to take most of my time off to relax (which I don't like to do!)

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:
Monday:
  • Refresh 1 content piece on Website #1
  • Create 1 Content Brief for Website #1
  • Publish 1 article on Website #1
  • Work on SEO growth optimizations from last week's Wednesday meeting
  • Monthly meeting with health/diet coach
Tuesday:
  • Create 2 Content Briefs for Website #1
  • Organize and implement photos from last week's vehicle research
Wednesday:
  • Create 2 Content Briefs for Website #2
  • Publish 1 article on Website #2
Thursday:
  • Finish SEO growth optimizations from last week's Wednesday meeting
Friday:
  • Create 1 Content Brief for Website #2
  • Meeting with SEO expert
Saturday & Sunday:
  • Relax
  • Work on business strategy (max 1 hour of screen time per day)

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Found out today that my mother has started drinking heavily again, including frequent drinking and driving. This started when my father passed away suddenly in 2020. She stopped around July 2022 but has now picked it back up.

It caused a lot of stress for me in the past years, which I'm sure is one of the driving factors of why I'm not recovered (or why I got sick in the first place). It's common that people with similar illnesses to have traumatic events that happened before or during their infection.

I've been working on calming my nervous system, which I believe is one of the missing pieces needed to get myself back to full recovery.

I sent her a text that I'm aware of what she's doing and that I won't be communicating with her, then I blocked her. She can contact me through other family members if needed.

Trying to not let this throw my week off track or get my nervous system worked up.

This is one of the reasons why I've moved across the country - to separate myself more from this.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Found out today that my mother has started drinking heavily again, including frequent drinking and driving. This started when my father passed away suddenly in 2020. She stopped around July 2022 but has now picked it back up.

It caused a lot of stress for me in the past years, which I'm sure is one of the driving factors of why I'm not recovered (or why I got sick in the first place). It's common that people with similar illnesses to have traumatic events that happened before or during their infection.

I've been working on calming my nervous system, which I believe is one of the missing pieces needed to get myself back to full recovery.

I sent her a text that I'm aware of what she's doing and that I won't be communicating with her, then I blocked her. She can contact me through other family members if needed.

Trying to not let this throw my week off track or get my nervous system worked up.

This is one of the reasons why I've moved across the country - to separate myself more from this.

That's awful. No doubt that has had a big impact on your health.

There's no easy way to deal with this, but if you're going to be of any use to yourself or even your mom when she comes out of this, you'll have to take care of yourself first, right?

I'll be sure to pray for your family.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 7/17/2023-7/23/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 21.75

Health updates:

More good days this week. Went to my first Fastlaner meetup with @Eskil and @BizyDad and felt fairly normal health-wise.
I need to take medication to function still, and when I sit down to try and work or look at screens everything flares up pretty bad in a short period of time. Otherwise, when I'm not working, I do get some relief.

Business updates:
  • In January 2022, I sold my agricultural marketplace website for $10k. I just got the opportunity to buy it back for less than $2k.
    • Will be acquiring this ASAP, then sitting on it for a month or two until my workload calms down.
    • I think I can easily flip this site around.
  • I accomplished everything I scheduled for the week in less than 22 hours! I think this is huge. I had a lot of critical items completed this week, as you can see below.
  • I also took off for Saturday/Sunday and will continue to do so. I think this will help speed up my recovery.

Completed:
  • Refresh 5 content pieces on Website #1
  • Create 3 Content Briefs for Website #1
  • Create 5 Content Briefs for Website #2
  • Work on SEO growth optimizations from last week's Wednesday meeting
  • Monthly meeting with health/diet coach
  • Organize and implement photos from last week's vehicle research
  • Meeting with SEO expert rescheduled - Out of my control
  • Work on business strategy (Saturday/Sunday - max. 1 hour of screen time)

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:
Weekdays:
  • Start finalizing content for a client's website design
  • Refresh 5 content pieces on Website #1
  • Create 7 Content Briefs for Website #1
  • Create 3 Content Briefs for Website #2
  • Meeting with SEO expert
  • Implement SEO growth optimizations from SEO expert meeting
Weekend:
  • Relax

Last edited:

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 7/24/2023-7/30/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 28.75

Health updates:

• Health was worse this week because I bumped up one of my medications and it caused a multi-day flare up of my symptoms. Cut the medication out completely because it isn't working. Starting to see some improvement back to my baseline yesterday and today.
  • NSDR / Yoga Nidra has been super helpful with symptom management. I've been doing this 1-2 hours per day, spaced out in intervals

Business updates:
  • Acquired a new business, which I sold 2 years ago and repurchased for 15% of what I sold it for. It's a search engine for agricultural services (I'll call this Website #3)
  • Because of health stuff and realizing that I need to scale back even more to focus on my health, this week went a bit off-track.
  • I also need to redesign Website #3 ASAP, which isn't super straightforward because it's a marketplace website. Should be launching this during this coming week.
  • I need to figure out a better plan for scaling back content creation while still reaching my goals. My idea was to frontload a bunch of the work and get it off my plate, but I'm pushing myself too hard.

Completed:
Honestly, I lost track a bit here this week, but I still did a good job. I took care of all obligations, acquired Website #3, made significant progress on the Website #3 redesign, created 5 content briefs, met with my SEO expert, and published 2 articles.
I did not take enough time to rest and relax this weekend. Might take Monday to do this.

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:
Monday - Saturday:
  • Develop a better, solid plan for content creation that gives me plenty of time to focus seriously on my health
  • Hire/interview for a Sales Specialist position to sell private advertising spaces on Website #1 (I think I have the opportunity to jump from $10k/month to $15-20k/month with the help of an expert)
    • Posted a job on Upwork already
    • If you know someone, please get me in touch!
  • Finish Website #3 relaunch
  • Refresh 3 content pieces on Website #1
  • Create 6 Content Briefs for Website #1
  • Meeting with my health coach
Sunday:
  • Relax

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 7/31/2023-8/6/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 27.5

Health updates:

• Had a few better days this week
  • My health coach suspects mold exposure may be a large contributing factor to why I got this illness
  • Started a mold detox which take up a lot of my time in the coming months

Business updates:
  • Website #1 had a $455 day yesterday! If those earnings happened every day, that would be $14k per month. Currently on track for $11-12k in August. Revenue is growing very quickly!
  • Tied up a lot of the loose ends that scattered me last week
  • Still need to get some more solid plans for where I want to take my businesses

Complete:
  • Develop a better, solid plan for content creation that gives me plenty of time to focus seriously on my health
    • Limiting myself to prepping 6 content pieces per week
  • Hire/interview for a Sales Specialist position to sell private advertising spaces on Website #1
    • Not much interest in the job. Had a consultation with someone with highly relevant experience and she pointed out that the work involved would be pretty limited since my website is very niched. Would be better off doing this myself. They can help train and guide me if I decide I need it
  • Finish Website #3 relaunch
  • Create 2 Content Briefs for Website #1
  • Meeting with my health coach
Incomplete:
  • Refresh 3 content pieces on Website #1
  • Create 4 Content Briefs for Website #1
    • I felt that it was better if I finished the Website #3 redesign then shift these tasks to this coming week.

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:
Monday - Saturday:
  • Refresh 6 content pieces on Website #1
  • Meet with SEO expert for Website #3 optimizations and implement action items
  • Strategize and plan for the future of my automotive media business
    • Alternative monetization methods
    • Plans to sell vs. hold
    • Create more sites vs. dive deeper into existing sites
    • Diversifying traffic channels
Sunday:
  • Relax

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 8/7/2023-8/13/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 14

Health updates:
  • Not good this week
  • Feeling worse and lots of cognitive issues and could barely put in any hours (14 over 7 days).
  • Caused by some experimenting with a special decaf coffee brand. Caused a bad reaction which I'm still dealing with. Might take another week to clear up.
Complete:
  • Refresh 5 content pieces on Website #2
    • Instead, I decided to work on an SOP so my VA can handle this. The SOP is finished and she can start doing these refreshes for me this week.
    • Only created 5, but it's because I decided to learn some more about ChatGPT and refine my processes so it can help me spit out high-quality content briefs a lot quicker. The improvements I made will be VERY beneficial!
    • I spent some time on these items, but not as much as I would've liked to. Will attempt to work on this more if I have time with how bad I'm feeling.
    • Plans to sell vs. hold

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:

• Complete all overhead company tasks (bookkeeping, freelancer payments, etc.)
  • Create and send Website #1 and #2 newsletters
Monday - Saturday:
    • This will be reduced depending on how I feel. So far I'm off to a bad start this week with my health.
    • Plans to sell vs. hold
  • Meet with health coach to continue with mold detox plan
Sunday:
  • Relax

What My Team Is Doing:
I thought I'd start including some info about what I have my team working on this week so you guys can get a full picture of my happenings.
  • Carry out website maintenance on 7 customer websites
  • Handle most of our website management customer tasks
  • Write 2 articles
  • Research 2 articles
  • Proofread and upload 2 articles
  • Refresh up to 5 content pieces (actual amount TBD depending on my VAs availability)

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
A few extra items....

Something I'm struggling with now (and always struggled with) is feeling like I'm not doing enough, whether it's me or the business as a whole.

Last week I only could manage 14 hours of work.

If I could just be a decision-maker and spend minimal time working hands-on with these businesses, I think that would be great for my situation. However, that seems like something that only bigger companies get the luxury of. It seems challenging to take that type of role with a smaller business size.

I try to get as much off my plate as possible, but I feel that it would cost a lot and hurt my margins quite a bit if I put myself very close to the "decision-maker" role. Perhaps that's simply how it is, but it seems risky for my business size.

I also struggle with my website management business. I have to respond to emails and I can't see it being able to survive on its own. I think there would be lots of issues, delays, and poor work if I was not managing the clients and carrying out some tasks myself. Seems like there wouldn't be much profit left over after hiring the right people.

It's a stable, easy $4,000/mo. profit stream for me though, and only requires 1-2 hours per day. But again... that's the problem. I only have 2-3 hours per day to spare.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 8/14/2023-8/20/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 14

Health updates:
  • Felt worse than last week. Really bad.
  • My health coach reassured me that part of why I feel worse right now is because of the mold detoxification process, which makes complete sense.
  • I still think part of it is the residual reactions to the coffee I had. It usually takes me 1-3 weeks to recover when I eat the wrong food. Reminds me of when I had a cup of broccoli and was terribly ill for 2 weeks. No fun...
  • Yesterday and today were slightly better. Still horrible, but hopefully trending a bit further upwards.
  • Started daily infrared sauna immediately followed by a cold plunge
    • Health coach recommends limiting this to 3 times per week so I don't overwhelm my body. I've had issues with heat intolerance at times.
Complete:
    • Action items were not implemented yet because of my health this week
    • Leaning more towards holding, rather than selling, but still lots of evaluation to do
    • Will start by expanding my email list for better traffic diversification
      • Switched to ConvertKit from MailCheat(Chimp)
      • Initial plans created for new subscriber automation
  • Met with health coach to continue with mold detox plan - made some diet changes and increased detox binder
  • Started a search to hire a new, cheaper writer.
    • I think I'm paying more than I need to write now.
    • Sent trial articles to 2 writers. I'm confident that one of them will be a good fit and save me 50-75% in writing expenses.
Incomplete:
    • Could not put in enough hours this week to accomplish this

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:

Monday - Saturday:
  • Set up email automations for new subscribers
  • Call with an automotive products company for a potential site sponsorship
Sunday:
  • Relax
  • Work on business strategy (max 1 hour of screen time)

What My Team Is Doing:
  • Carry out website maintenance on 6 customer websites
  • Write 2 articles
  • Research 2 articles
  • Proofread and upload 2 articles
  • Refresh/update 3 articles

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 8/21/2023-8/27/2023

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 21

Health updates:
  • Slightly better this week. Still very rough.
Complete:
  • Refresh landing page on Website #3
  • Set up email automations for new subscribers
  • Call with an automotive products company for a potential site sponsorship
    • Went well
    • Will likely sell for them as an affiliate. Their product is $1,500-2,500
  • Hired a new writer to write some of our more basic articles. $0.04/word instead of $0.10/word
  • Looking to hire a new automotive researcher
    • Very little interest on Upwork
    • My current VA is handling it. she does a fantastic job but it takes her so long (too expensive)
  • Thinking about hiring a content director to take content briefs and some other stuff off my plate. Not sure if I'm willing/ready to do that yet. Might be too risky for the business.

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:

Monday - Saturday:
  • Continue adding to email sequence for new subscribers
  • Refresh 1-2 content pieces for Website #3
  • Implement changes from SEO meeting
Sunday:
  • Relax

What My Team Is Doing:
  • Write 3 articles
  • Research 3 articles
  • Proofread and upload 3 articles

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Update: Week 8/28/2023-9/3/2023
All-time high revenues!

How the Week Went:

Total working hours: 22.5

Health updates:
Again, slightly better this week. Been able to work for 10-15 minutes before needing a break, instead of only 5 minutes at a time. Let's hope for no setbacks for a while. It's crazy how slow it takes to recover from a setback.

Business updates:
Website #1 did $12,500 in September! that's almost DOUBLE the revenue when I started this thread just a couple of months ago. I'd estimate that we're on track for $14k revenue in September.
Total revenue between both companies was just over $20k, which is the most I've ever made in my life.

Complete:
  • Continue adding to email sequences for new subscribers
  • Refresh 1-2 content pieces for Website #3
  • Created 3 landing pages for Website #3
  • Met with a content director candidate for the automotive sites
  • Started testing a Pinterest strategy for Website #1 for traffic diverisification

Plans for Next Week:

Ongoing tasks:

Monday - Saturday:
  • Publish 2 articles on Website #2
  • Create minimum 3 landing pages for Website #3
  • Continue adding to email sequence for new subscribers
  • Analyze Pinterest week #1 results and create content for next week
Sunday:
  • Relax

What My Team Is Doing:
  • Write 3 articles
  • Research 3 articles
  • Proofread and upload 3 articles

Last edited:

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Have you ever thought you were really good at a particular aspect of your business, and hesitant to hire out because of it?

"No one can do this as good as me..."

Then, you hire the right person and realize that you were terrible at the job?

I've had this happen many times. I think it's a great sign that you're hiring the right people.

Just hired a content director this week which will be huge for the business if it continues to go well.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.