The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2019: Becoming Unemployable (Local Lead Gen)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

“Wealth eludes most people because they are preoccupied with events while disregarding process. Without process, there is no event.”
~ M.J. DeMarco

Quick shoutout to the Unemployable Podcast. Lot's of great nuggets for freelancers and "solopreneurs" who don't know where to start.

Now, as Tim Ferriss says, back to the piece...

The Reason For This Thread:
I am creating this new progress thread as a replacement and expansion to my last one: Replacing my income with adwords freelancing. The old thread had no focus as I was still learning and figuring out what I wanted to do, and I had become lazy...

This one will be much more focused, thought out, and meaningful.

New year, new start...

The goal for this thread is to not only chronicle my journey this year but also to create a resource for others to draw inspiration, ideas, and action from. Everything I have learned from this forum, books, blogs, and podcasts will be put into action here.

It's time to stop listening, stop reading, and start doing.​

The Foundation:
Core values:
Shoutout to eliquid's podcast about core values. I listened to that podcast maybe 6 months ago and I still think about it everyday.

The following 5 core values of mine will serve as the foundation (the why) for my success this year.
They are (in no certain order):
  1. Freedom/Autonomy
  2. Quality time with family
  3. Simplicity
  4. Authenticity
  5. Control
Using eliquids method for making decisions based on your core values, the five I just listed will serve as my compass for taking on new clients, hiring, firing, moving into new verticals, etc.

I want to optimize my personal and professional life to have abundance in all of these areas going into 2020.​

The Business:
What I'll be doing:
I will be a Google Ads freelancer starting off, and hopefully will be able to make my first hire by July so that I can focus on sales and client aquisition.​
Target market:

Local service businesses with high-value services whose average sale is $1k-$10k (plumbers, roofers, remodelers, construction, etc). Much easier to see an ROI when you only need to get the client 1-2 customers per month.​
My offer:

Local businesses only care about one thing and that's sales. My core offer is that I can generate more phone calls, quotes, estimates, and ultimately sales for my clients.
My core service is Google Ads PPC Management. However, the client only cares about generating more revenue, they don't care how the sausage is made.​

"I'm not selling them Google Ads Management, I'm selling them more customers."
~ sounds like something Andy Black would say
If the client asks about website design or social media then I'll refer them to a local agency. For now, I need to keep things simple.​
Business model:

I am going to start out wth a flat fee of $300/month regardless of ad budget as I don't expect my first clients to have deep pockets anyway. I'm also considering offering a discounted first month rate but that can become a slippery slope real quick when you start negotiating price. Much better to skew value than drop price; If a customer is that hung up on price then they won't be a good client anyway.

I plan on moving to a productized pricing model in the future as I gain more clients.​

Short-Term & Long-Term Goals:

“You should be far more concerned with your current trajectory than with your current results.”
~ James Clear

5 years from now:
I own a small portfolio of 3-5 online businesses. They could include SaaS, e-commerce, info/niche sites, online courses, etc. Combined they provide me with a stable and semi-passive income of $500k/year.​
1 year from now:

I am making at least $10k month from my business with a small team. We focus on lead gen for local services. I am about to launch an online course/community the next year. I get engaged by the end of the year.​
6 months from now:

I quit my job after saving an emergency fund of $5k to focus on my business full time.​
3 months from now:

I am making at least $3k/month just freelancing and am debt free by the end of March.​
What my life looks like on Jan 1st 2020:

I wake up at 8am without an alarm clock, kiss my fiance and roll out of bed. I make a cup of coffee and do my morning 30min meditation then off to the gym.
When I get back, I check my email and check in with the team to see how things are going. I have mostly automated myself out of the business at this point by hiring a project manager to handle the day-to-day tasks.
My fiance and I make breakfast and spend the rest of the day at the park or house hunting. We go to dinner that night at our favorite mexican food restaurant and order whatever we want because we no longer have to choose between having a date night and paying rent.
This stuff might seem cheesy but it's the stuff that I and a lot of others here think about constantly. It's the driver for why I am doing any of this.​

The Process/System:

“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.”
~ James Clear

Now, onto the nitty gritty...

I've decided that I am going to use a weekly schedule for getting clients and running my business. Every day will have a job and a list of daily tasks to accomplish that job.

My Weekly Schedule:
Monday: Prospecting on cold leads
I'll be reaching out to 25 local businesses using cold email or walking into the businesses to meet the owner.​
Tuesday
: Account managment & Client update
Will consist of new account setup and optimizations on current accounts. I've read that you shouldn't be tweaking campaigns too much as it could skew the results so that's why I only shceduled it once a week. I'll also send the client a quick update email about changes I have made to keep them in the loop.​
Wednesday
: Prospecting on cold leads & follow up
Same as Monday except I'll also be following up via phone with the leads who didn't reply back to the email.​
Thursday
: Business development/Big picture stuff
A day to exclusively work on my business rather than in my business. Will consist of new market research, talking to influencers, creating content, etc.​
Friday
: Gathering leads for Mon/Wed
Self explanatory. I'll be gathering a list of 50 local businesses that could use my services to contact the following week (25 on Mon/Wed).
Saturday & Sunday: Family/personal time
Going back to my core values, quality time and freedom are two of my biggest. If I can't enjoy the life I have now then what's the point?​

50 cold emails/calls a week might not sound like much to some people here, but we all have to start somewhere...​

Questions To Ask Prospects:
I have no experience selling and really need to learn, so if anyone has advice on selling that would really help. So far I've come up with these questions to ask business owners:

Have you used Google Ads in the past?
What experience have you had when it comes to online advertising?
What is your average customer lifetime value?
When a lead calls you, who picks up the phone?
What does your sales process look like?
How often do you close a sale?

Not gonna lie, selling myself to other people scares the bajezus out of me, but it's what needs to be done for me to succeed...​

"Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent success."
~ Napoleon Hill

Tools I'll Be Using:
Prospecting:
Lead generation: Craigslist services, Manta, local ads, Facebook groups/messenger, and Indeed job postings​

Client Management:
Project management: Asana
Client communication: Email, phone
Team communication: Slack

Account Management:
Keyword research: Ubersuggest, Keyword Planner, SERP, Excel
Reporting: AgencyAnalytics
Landing page design: Wordpress + Elementor or LeadPages
Call tracking: CallRail

Bookkeeping:

Conclusion:
Well, that's it for this essay. Funny, I've put more thought into this post then any english essay I've written in highschool...

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you have to give regarding selling or my weekly schedule. Hope you guys will follow along and find my journey valuable to the community!

-PizzaOnTheRoof
"You don't learn until you launch."
~ Dan Norris

@Andy Black @eliquid @lowtek @Sean Marshall @UnrealCreative @ZCP @RazorCut @minivanman @Lex DeVille

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Edit 1: 5x'ed my 5 year income goal per RazorCut's recommendation. Go big or go home.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Very well presented and considered. Only a few thoughts for now:

You should reassess your 5 year income as it’s too low so easily achievable. It should be 5X or 10X.

Selling is a skill you learn from doing. Accept that you will be dire to start with but know that you’ll improve at each and every meeting. So don’t be too hard on yourself for any failures, you’ll find your rhythm and style. You just need to get 20 or so under your belt. Do your best to shut up and listen and never bullshit (successful business owners have a great BS detector). If you don’t know the answer tell them you’ll check/find out and get back to them in day or two. Then do that within 24 hours. Be seen as someone who keeps their word and follows through.

Under promise and over deliver.

Your weekly schedule will morph as you work things out.

Love that you’ve decided exactly how you will live your life and have an action plan to create it.

I take it you have already listened to @Andy Black 's talk with @Contrarian on Local Lead Gen ?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Very well presented and considered. Only a few thoughts for now:

You should reassess your 5 year income as it’s too low so easily achievable. It should be 5X or 10X.

Selling is a skill you learn from doing. Accept that you will be dire to start with but know that you’ll improve at each and every meeting. So don’t be too hard on yourself for any failures, you’ll find your rhythm and style. You just need to get 20 or so under your belt. Do your best to shut up and listen and never bullshit (successful business owners have a great BS detector). If you don’t know the answer tell them you’ll check/find out and get back to them in day or two. Then do that within 24 hours. Be seen as someone who keeps their word and follows through.

Under promise and over deliver.

Your weekly schedule will morph as you work things out.

Love that you’ve decided exactly how you will live your life and have an action plan to create it.

I take it you have already listened to @Andy Black 's talk with @Contrarian on Local Lead Gen ?
Thanks for the reply!

You're right about the 5-year goal. I'm currently making ~$20k/year so $100k sounds absolutely life-changing compared to where I am now. I'll make an edit to 5X it.

Thank you for the sales tips. I want to just add value at the beginning instead of trying to sell them right off the bat, as a way to open up the dialog and put everyone at ease.

I have listened to the talk but will give it another listen through to catch any nuggets that I may have missed.

I truly feel like this lifestyle is within reach if I just put in the effort. I just need to take that first step.

Thanks again :)

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
This is great!

A few thoughts from a career sales guy:

Not to stand in the way of you getting stuck in and taking action, but two books I recommend -

The Only Sales Guide You'll Ever Need - Anthony Iannarino

Fanatical Prospecting - Jeb Blount

Your questions are OK. What I really like is that you're actually thinking about questions. Much more important than an "elevator pitch" or any of that me-me-me crap.

But what's even more important are the questions that come behind those questions. Every one you've listed is a "situation" question, ie. what's happening over at your place right now, Mr. Client?

That's fine and you need those kinds of questions, to a degree. But if all you do is ask a ton of questions about what he's doing now, he'll soon enough get bored/frustrated and the conversation won't lead to anything.

You need to go beyond the situations and identify the problems. And then you need to figure out the implications of those problems. So, he spent $500 on online marketing with some guy last month and didn't get any leads. Big problem, right?

Not necessarily. Maybe he thought he'd try it because it sounded cool and he didn't care about the $500, but he's so busy with his existing clients and referral network he doesn't need the leads and doesn't care.

It's only a problem if the client sees it as a problem and understands the ramifications of not solving it.

So for every question that digs up something of potential interest, you want to go three or four questions deep. That's when the conversation really becomes interesting.

And before any of this happens...you need to get permission to ask questions, and convey a level of authority that makes you worthy of getting that permission.

I hope this helps but mostly, what I'd say is: just get stuck in. Don't do it for a week, decide it doesn't work, then go write up a completely different sales plan. Just put in the activity numbers you've set yourself, at whatever skill level you're currently at. Then review, learn, try new things in your calls/emails, add incremental improvements and go at it again.

A few months ago I got serious about planning out all my goals, projects and timeframes. Built out this big fancy Trello board and everything. I set a 3 year annual income goal which is multiples higher than my current income and now it's looking like there's a 50%+ chance I'll achieve that goal within the first few months of this year.

I'm starting to think there's some psychological magic operating in the background with this kinda stuff. When you laser focus in on a goal, your subconscious starts whirring away, spotting opportunities to make it happen.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
This is great!

A few thoughts from a career sales guy:

Not to stand in the way of you getting stuck in and taking action, but two books I recommend -

The Only Sales Guide You'll Ever Need - Anthony Iannarino

Fanatical Prospecting - Jeb Blount

Your questions are OK. What I really like is that you're actually thinking about questions. Much more important than an "elevator pitch" or any of that me-me-me crap.

But what's even more important are the questions that come behind those questions. Every one you've listed is a "situation" question, ie. what's happening over at your place right now, Mr. Client?

That's fine and you need those kinds of questions, to a degree. But if all you do is ask a ton of questions about what he's doing now, he'll soon enough get bored/frustrated and the conversation won't lead to anything.

You need to go beyond the situations and identify the problems. And then you need to figure out the implications of those problems. So, he spent $500 on online marketing with some guy last month and didn't get any leads. Big problem, right?

Not necessarily. Maybe he thought he'd try it because it sounded cool and he didn't care about the $500, but he's so busy with his existing clients and referral network he doesn't need the leads and doesn't care.

It's only a problem if the client sees it as a problem and understands the ramifications of not solving it.

So for every question that digs up something of potential interest, you want to go three or four questions deep. That's when the conversation really becomes interesting.

And before any of this happens...you need to get permission to ask questions, and convey a level of authority that makes you worthy of getting that permission.

I hope this helps but mostly, what I'd say is: just get stuck in. Don't do it for a week, decide it doesn't work, then go write up a completely different sales plan. Just put in the activity numbers you've set yourself, at whatever skill level you're currently at. Then review, learn, try new things in your calls/emails, add incremental improvements and go at it again.

A few months ago I got serious about planning out all my goals, projects and timeframes. Built out this big fancy Trello board and everything. I set a 3 year annual income goal which is multiples higher than my current income and now it's looking like there's a 50%+ chance I'll achieve that goal within the first few months of this year.

I'm starting to think there's some psychological magic operating in the background with this kinda stuff. When you laser focus in on a goal, your subconscious starts whirring away, spotting opportunities to make it happen.
Thanks man! I’ll put those books next on my reading list but won’t start reading until I’ve completed my first week of real work.

You’re advice is definitely heard and I’ll be thinking about how I can go deeper with clients while I’m at work today.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Good luck with your journey! I am kind of in the same boat as you with FB Ads.

I like how you structured your days. I think I will follow your example, as my structure right now is an absolutely mess. Looking forward to watching your progress :D

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Go read Spin Selling, post haste.

All your questions fall into the "S" part of Spin. Once you get down to the "N" you will have better results in your quest.

Good luck, we're pulling for you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My Current Weekly Schedule:
  • Monday: Send reports to all clients about previous week spend. Determine The ONE Thing to do for each account. Do it as soon as possible.
  • Tuesday: Could be still doing the work from above.
  • Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: I try not to tinker in campaigns now because I want a full week of running with the change made at the start of the week. These days I'm working ON my business, and fielding and following up on inbound leads.

I've literally just updated a new INSIDERS Progress thread on how I'm going to scale this year. It's in my signature, but on the Inside.

Careful of creating a community. It's very tempting to teach people what you're doing. I decided to shutdown my forum and focus on building a lead gen business. I don't regret shutting it down and replacing it with a small paid email newsletter that's mostly one way communication. (You may be interested in my ramblings to that btw.)

Personally, I don't bother with longer term numeric goals. I pick a direction and keep nibbling forward. I work in Weekly and Quarterly cycles, with a specific direction in mind. Do whatever works for you of course.

Have you leveraged your personal network first, before you do cold anything (cold calling, cold emailing, cold "traffic" via paid search or Facebook)?
Check out this thread:

I think 50 emails a week is a lot. Can you narrow it down to businesses that might already have your clients? (Agencies that don't do Google Ads, local accountancy firms that have lots of local clients, franchisees of big networks, etc.)

Also, this podcast is excellent (I'll create a thread to discuss it shortly):

Other podcasts in case you've not listened:

And yes, the call with @Contrarian is still on the money for what I'm currently working on.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I think 50 emails a week is a lot. Can you narrow it down to businesses that might already have your clients? (Agencies that don't do Google Ads, local accountancy firms that have lots of local clients, franchisees of big networks, etc.)

This is a great point. Contact the businesses that already have your customers. One good contact could lead to a dozen clients.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is a great point. Contact the businesses that already have your customers. One good contact could lead to a dozen clients.
"Who already has your customers?" (Jay Abraham)

@CareCPA ... you've had some success doing this haven't you? Any pointers?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: I try not to tinker in campaigns now because I want a full week of running with the change made at the start of the week. These days I'm working ON my business, and fielding and following up on inbound leads.

My dear, I am so glad someone else in my space has said this.

I have to hit people over the head constantly about "doing too much, too soon" when it comes to PPC changes. I've been harping on this for a decade or more now.

Depending on change and size of account, sometimes I need to wait several weeks between changes to let certain things play out and get the right statistical data on optimizations.

I felt like I was the only one that "got this" idea.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Good luck with your journey! I am kind of in the same boat as you with FB Ads.

I like how you structured your days. I think I will follow your example, as my structure right now is an absolutely mess. Looking forward to watching your progress :D
Thanks! Start a progress thread and we’ll follow along as well.

Go read Spin Selling, post haste.

All your questions fall into the "S" part of Spin. Once you get down to the "N" you will have better results in your quest.

Good luck, we're pulling for you.
Cool. I’ll check it out. I like systems and acronyms lol

My Current Weekly Schedule:
  • Monday: Send reports to all clients about previous week spend. Determine The ONE Thing to do for each account. Do it as soon as possible.
  • Tuesday: Could be still doing the work from above.
  • Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: I try not to tinker in campaigns now because I want a full week of running with the change made at the start of the week. These days I'm working ON my business, and fielding and following up on inbound leads.

I've literally just updated a new INSIDERS Progress thread on how I'm going to scale this year. It's in my signature, but on the Inside.

Careful of creating a community. It's very tempting to teach people what you're doing. I decided to shutdown my forum and focus on building a lead gen business. I don't regret shutting it down and replacing it with a small paid email newsletter that's mostly one way communication. (You may be interested in my ramblings to that btw.)

Personally, I don't bother with longer term numeric goals. I pick a direction and keep nibbling forward. I work in Weekly and Quarterly cycles, with a specific direction in mind. Do whatever works for you of course.

Have you leveraged your personal network first, before you do cold anything (cold calling, cold emailing, cold "traffic" via paid search or Facebook)?
Check out this thread:

Also, this podcast is excellent (I'll create a thread to discuss it shortly):

Other podcasts in case you've not listened:

And yes, the call with @Contrarian is still on the money for what I'm currently working on.
Interesting point about finding who already has your clients. How would you even approach an agency for this? Especially since I don’t have a track record yet.

Thanks for the podcast recommendations. I’m a regular TMBA listener already but I’ll check out quickmail too.

I have to hit people over the head constantly about "doing too much, too soon" when it comes to PPC changes. I've been harping on this for a decade or more now.

Depending on change and size of account, sometimes I need to wait several weeks between changes to let certain things play out and get the right statistical data on optimizations.

Very true. I feel like it should involve more work than it really does.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Likewise. Glad to hear someone else thinking and doing the same!

It beats:

“Let’s tinker our way to success. Pull all the levers. Don’t make a note of what was done.

Oh. Go back to what we had before? I can’t. I don’t know what I did.

Repeat what I did for another account? Errr...”

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

It's totally logical. Make a change, collect meaningful data, assess.

I was having a similar conversion with a friend last week who operates a garage. Apprentice was put in charge of fixing a tractor mower. It wouldn't start. He was told it was most likely one of three issues. 2 hours later he came back saying he had fixed it. When asked what the issue was he said he didn't know exactly as he had changed all three components.

Exasperated, my friend told to put it all back to how it was when it came it broken. Then check it has the same fault. Then change ONE thing at a time. If the changed component didn't work, swap it back to the old one and change another.

How else are you going to know what works and what doesn't?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's totally logical. Make a change, collect meaningful data, assess.

I was having a similar conversion with a friend last week who operates a garage. Apprentice was put in charge of fixing a tractor mower. It wouldn't start. He was told it was most likely one of three issues. 2 hours later he came back saying he had fixed it. When asked what the issue was he said he didn't know exactly as he had changed all three components.

Exasperated, my friend told to put it all back to how it was when it came it broken. Then check it has the same fault. Then change ONE thing at a time. If the changed component didn't work, swap it back to the old one and change another.

How else are you going to know what works and what doesn't?
Oh man. That’s funny.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Edit 1: 5x'ed my 5 year income goal per RazorCut's recommendation. Go big or go home.
You need to 10x that bro.

1ca283601417431a24de422e52d8ce74.jpg

main-qimg-90690cd7b40e31c2e167edf99ea1761e

8c11381afeb3ceb23122a706e3accbff.jpg

10339170._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Great thread @PizzaOnTheRoof!
Love how well-thought out you put all this.

Your ideal day is inspiring, and gave me a little bit more to work with on my own
(@Kung Fu Steve is asking everyone to do this...you in his group?)

Rooting for you. I'll check in every once in a while.

Cheers!
Mike

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Great thread @PizzaOnTheRoof!
Love how well-thought out you put all this.

Your ideal day is inspiring, and gave me a little bit more to work with on my own
(@Kung Fu Steve is asking everyone to do this...you in his group?)

Rooting for you. I'll check in every once in a while.

Cheers!
Mike
Thanks! Not in his group, how Can I find out more?

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
You had me until you listed the 50 different tools you’d be using.

My opinion, the only tools you’ll need for the next year:

Lined Paper
Pen
Excel

I want to see you do well. The best advice
I can give you is “don’t waste time creating processes before you make money.”

I’ve made this mistake in the past. I highly discourage it.

As for your question about advice on how to sell:

1. Tell them what you do.
2. Ask them if there’s anything you might be able to help them with.
3. If you like their answer and you have chemistry, offer to do it for free for 30 days and stand behind your offer.

Rather than ask, give them an offer. It’s hard to be stressed when you’re giving rather than taking.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
You had me until you listed the 50 different tools you’d be using.

My opinion, the only tools you’ll need for the next year:

Lined Paper
Pen
Excel

I want to see you do well. The best advice
I can give you is “don’t waste time creating processes before you make money.”

I’ve made this mistake in the past. I highly discourage it.

As for your question about advice on how to sell:

1. Tell them what you do.
2. Ask them if there’s anything you might be able to help them with.
3. If you like their answer and you have chemistry, offer to do it for free for 30 days and stand behind your offer.

Rather than ask, give them an offer. It’s hard to be stressed when you’re giving rather than taking.
Oh no, I’m not creating processes yet, just getting organized.

Also thanks for the sales advice about giving rather than taking.

As for the tools, I respectfully disagree, but I see where you’re coming from.

I’d rather determine what I need/will need before starting rather than wasting time looking for an invoicing solution when the client is ready to pay immediately.

I don’t think any of the tools I listed are bloated or unnecessary.

I think they’re the bare essentials for providing marketing services.

Not to mention most of them are free and minimally time consuming anyway.

d7laungani

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Apr 10, 2018
Texas
Helping you stay accountable since your tag line is "Seasoned Action-Faker" . It is been a couple of weeks and your post post was a lot of framework setting. Who have you helped so far? What progress have you made helping someone?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Helping you stay accountable since your tag line is "Seasoned Action-Faker" . It is been a couple of weeks and your post post was a lot of framework setting. Who have you helped so far? What progress have you made helping someone?
Yeah, I’ve been reaching out to business owners mainly through email.

No clients yet unfortunately...

I’m actually going to be trying a voicemail blast tomorrow inspired by this thread: GOLD! - A new marketing tool I'm using with ridiculous ROI

I’ll post a more detailed post Soon. I’d like to post about milestones rather than clutter the thread.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Found this amazing, I'll be applying some of your methods to my life.
Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Also, a mini-update for those wondering. I've sent out 50 voicemails (only 38 were delivered), so I'm waiting to hear back to schedule some calls/meets for this week.

Here's my script going forward if you guys have any feedback:

Hey, this is ________ from ________.

The reason I called is to schedule an appointment with you about how my team and I can get you some more phone calls to your business every month, and get you some more sales.

If you're interested, I would love to schedule a call or meeting with you sometime this week.

I'm available from 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday, so feel free give me a callback or text and we can move forward.

Look forward to speaking with you, bye.

d7laungani

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Apr 10, 2018
Texas
I am interested to see how well the voicemail approach works out for you .

A general comment I have is can you make the voice mails more personable . The reason I say this other than the obvious one ( connects better with the person ) is that it seems like a lot of small businesses get these kinda of calls pretty often to the point of annoyance and instant dismissal .

I am sure you will be able to help them much better than a lot of the people contacting them . The question is how can you convey that to them .

Some suggestions I have that you could try might be to start of with a hook e.g. "it looks like your competitors .... ", " When I type xxx service location you do not show up and are missing potential customers " etc .

Then go into your pitch.

Also small suggestion . You mention when you are available . Remove that . You are available when they are . The times you listed are the exact times they are probably busy as well . Think about the persoective of them as busy business owners .

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I am interested to see how well the voicemail approach works out for you .

A general comment I have is can you make the voice mails more personable . The reason I say this other than the obvious one ( connects better with the person ) is that it seems like a lot of small businesses get these kinda of calls pretty often to the point of annoyance and instant dismissal .

I am sure you will be able to help them much better than a lot of the people contacting them . The question is how can you convey that to them .

Some suggestions I have that you could try might be to start of with a hook e.g. "it looks like your competitors .... ", " When I type xxx service location you do not show up and are missing potential customers " etc .

Then go into your pitch.

Also small suggestion . You mention when you are available . Remove that . You are available when they are . The times you listed are the exact times they are probably busy as well . Think about the persoective of them as busy business owners .
All good points. Thank you! I like the idea of a hook.

I'll probably be writing up a new script soon to be more personable and segmented based on the industry.

The only problem is I have an hourly job that takes up half my day (starting at 4pm during the week), and I can't take calls or text during my shift. If a potential client calls and I can't answer then it may be a lost client.

Thoughts?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
All good points. Thank you! I like the idea of a hook.

I'll probably be writing up a new script soon to be more personable and segmented based on the industry.

The only problem is I have an hourly job that takes up half my day (starting at 4pm during the week), and I can't take calls or text during my shift. If a potential client calls and I can't answer then it may be a lost client.

Thoughts?
You can call or text them back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!