The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WTF does Tai Lopez do?

Guru

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
So Andrew, just so we're clear... you believe the ends justifies any means?

Based on this, I can safely assume you're cool selling sugar pills as a cure for any issue (while calling it great marketing) simply because the placebo effect is a proven phenomena.

Hey, as long as it works for some of my clients, it's great marketing! F*ck, who cares if the product isn't legit and I know it! X, Y, and Z said it worked!

My view is the complete opposite of that, largely based on my sarcasm I intended to put into that statement.

Some of the people who are calling him a liar are actually lying themselves with their ads, so my sarcasm was intended to mix with my anger at the hypocrisy. "Oh, for physical products, we can do this...but the moment someone puts out an educational training product....let's get the pitchforks and torches out."

I was tempted to post screenshots of their businesses using pictures of million dollar homes in their marketing materials (they they don't live in), and lying about client testimonials in order to make sales for their business....but I figure posting personal info about that type of stuff people on here are doing wouldn't be in good taste on a public forum, so my sarcasm came out instead...

That's what I meant, not advocating lying.

In case it came across as me advocating lying....I'm not.It seems like most people on this thread are big for "proof", so here's a screenshot from a month ago when even a close friend of mine asks me for a testimonial... this is how I reply:

upload_2015-12-9_16-50-46.png

My problems with other replies in this thread (and I know some of them go outside of your direct question):

And my views are based 100% on the main topic of the thread: A training course put out a guy to help other people have success in their lives.

1) People are ripping on his course, calling it a scam, yet they never even went through it!

Have you ever heard people call your book a "get rich quick scam"...when they haven't even read it? How would they know how great your book is, they haven't even read it. How many people here are jumping on his training course calling it a scam when they didn't even take the damn thing?

The video posted above... shows Frank Kern and others advocating scammy stuff. Is Tai in that video? Or did we group him in with other people and stereotype it together?

Seriously though - correct me if he is - I didn't see him.

2) Half the replies saying that he is lying come from rumors started on this thread (and not the truth).

It's kind of like that game telephone..one person says something that wasn't true, and the rest of the chain goes off of it.
  • Someone said he "clearly leased a (mansion) for a day" to film a video....which is not true...But let's accept the rumor mill to be fact and continue building off of that.
  • Then someone said he didn't make any money outside of info products...which is also not true.
So my comments were not advocating lying, they were geared towards people rushing to judgement and sterotyping.

I don't agree with the fake profiles on his dating site, and I don't agree with the shady rebills (that is probably the reason why he is vague about how he made his money). But does that also mean he didn't learn OTHER valuable business lessons in the process, which are not connected to that.

So he did shady dating and rebill stuff in the past...we all make mistakes and do stupid shit. And yes, while others of us make minor mistakes, that rebill thing is f*cked up....but this is where I differ from the opinion from most on here:

Let's say in his past, he has done the following and both are true:
  1. 99% things that are valuable lessons and skills he learned in business (how to get the right mindset, how to program a website, how to raise funding, etc.)
  2. He did shady rebills and a few others things that are bad.
While most people look at #2 and say "I refuse to even look at #1 because of #2", I choose to separate the two.

That is where I differ.

I choose to focus on the valuable lessons in #1.

"Ok, he did shady rebills in the fine print, but the lesson I can learn from this is that recurring revenue is good. So if I put in big bold letters letting my customers know it will be a subscription service, they will be aware of it, and my lifetime customer value will go up so now I can afford more on advertising to reach more people."

Does his program add value to the customers?

Perhaps I'm biased because I'm currently creating a course similar to his... Let's say I make $60,000 per year selling magazines or XYZ product.

Over the past four years, I went from not even knowing entrepreneurship existed, to being self-sufficient and traveling the country.

Now my mission is to wake people up and help others do the same (similar to what Tai is doing - probably why I have strong opinions on this).

Let's say I make the $60k a year from my first businesses...and then I make $20 million teaching others how to do it;

With that $20 million I rent out a mansion for a year, and film videos in there because it resonates with the audience.

The number 1 feedback from people viewing my youtube videos:

upload_2015-12-9_18-57-42.png
It's not lying if he is living there, and if he can afford it.

If renting out a mansion for a year and making videos in the future helps wake tens of thousands of people up to a new way of life (financed by the training courses that help people), helps them break free from depression, and helps people live the life of their dreams...and they only heard of this training course because they see someone living in a mansion with a lambo..... I would say that that end justifies the means.

...as long as the product is good (which most people on here rush to make judgements on without even using it).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Well I guess it's OK for certain companies to do certain things with their marketing, but the lynching mob comes out for others who use the same type of marketing techniques, depending on the product that is being sold...I'll leave it at that.

Look I get what you are saying, and I'm actually doing your NLP course and it's good, but read the article. This is a lot different to selling education

Edit: Just saw your new post, his 67 steps course IS a shady rebill that's hard to cancel, $67 a month not just $67, and there is a thread on here where someone went through his funnel and program to study it, and the add to card is not a cart, it bills you, and the course was crap, the 67 steps are all basically the same words said differently.

Secondly, it's not just that he lies about his mansion, its more also that people think he has consulted and run big companies etc, but all he has done as far as anyone can tell is shady rebill sites.

Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
The fact that he hasn't come here to defend himself when this thread ranks on the first page of google for his name says a lot. Why doesn't he clear the air if he runs an honest operation?

Anyway - That was my 2 mins thinking about Tai Lopez. Can I set this thread to invisible now so I stop seeing it on "new"?

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
My view is the complete opposite of that, largely based on my sarcasm I intended to put into that statement.

Some of the people who are calling him a liar are actually lying themselves with their ads, so my sarcasm was intended to mix with my anger at the hypocrisy. "Oh, for physical products, we can do this...but the moment someone puts out an educational training product....let's get the pitchforks and torches out."

I was tempted to post screenshots of their businesses using pictures of million dollar homes in their marketing materials (they they don't live in), and lying about client testimonials in order to make sales for their business....but I figure posting personal info about that type of stuff people on here are doing wouldn't be in good taste on a public forum, so my sarcasm came out instead...

That's what I meant, not advocating lying.

In case it came across as me advocating lying....I'm not.It seems like most people on this thread are big for "proof", so here's a screenshot from a month ago when even a close friend of mine asks me for a testimonial... this is how I reply:

View attachment 11198

My problems with other replies in this thread (and I know some of them go outside of your direct question):

And my views are based 100% on the main topic of the thread: A training course put out a guy to help other people have success in their lives.

1) People are ripping on his course, calling it a scam, yet they never even went through it!

Have you ever heard people call your book a "get rich quick scam"...when they haven't even read it? How would they know how great your book is, they haven't even read it. How many people here are jumping on his training course calling it a scam when they didn't even take the damn thing?

The video posted above... shows Frank Kern and others advocating scammy stuff. Is Tai in that video? Or did we group him in with other people and stereotype it together?

Seriously though - correct me if he is - I didn't see him.

2) Half the replies saying that he is lying come from rumors started on this thread (and not the truth).

It's kind of like that game telephone..one person says something that wasn't true, and the rest of the chain goes off of it.
  • Someone said he "clearly leased a (mansion) for a day" to film a video....which is not true...But let's accept the rumor mill to be fact and continue building off of that.
  • Then someone said he didn't make any money outside of info products...which is also not true.
So my comments were not advocating lying, they were geared towards people rushing to judgement and sterotyping.

I don't agree with the fake profiles on his dating site, and I don't agree with the shady rebills (that is probably the reason why he is vague about how he made his money). But does that also mean he didn't learn OTHER valuable business lessons in the process, which are not connected to that.

So he did shady dating and rebill stuff in the past...we all make mistakes and do stupid shit. And yes, while others of us make minor mistakes, that rebill thing is f*cked up....but this is where I differ from the opinion from most on here:

Let's say in his past, he has done the following and both are true:
  1. 99% things that are valuable lessons and skills he learned in business (how to get the right mindset, how to program a website, how to raise funding, etc.)
  2. He did shady rebills and a few others things that are bad.
While most people look at #2 and say "I refuse to even look at #1 because of #2", I choose to separate the two.

That is where I differ.

I choose to focus on the valuable lessons in #1.

"Ok, he did shady rebills in the fine print, but the lesson I can learn from this is that recurring revenue is good. So if I put in big bold letters letting my customers know it will be a subscription service, they will be aware of it, and my lifetime customer value will go up so now I can afford more on advertising to reach more people."

Perhaps I'm biased because I'm currently creating a course similar to his... Let's say I make $60,000 per year selling magazines or XYZ product.

Over the past four years, I went from not even knowing entrepreneurship existed, to being self-sufficient and traveling the country.

Now my mission is to wake people up and help others do the same (similar to what Tai is doing - probably why I have strong opinions on this).

Let's say I make the $60k a year from my first businesses...and then I make $20 million teaching others how to do it;

With that $20 million I rent out a mansion for a year, and film videos in there because it resonates with the audience.

The number 1 feedback from people viewing my youtube videos:

View attachment 11200
It's not lying if he is living there, and if he can afford it.

If renting out a mansion for a year and making videos in the future helps wake tens of thousands of people up to a new way of life (financed by the training courses that help people), helps them break free from depression, and helps people live the life of their dreams...and they only heard of this training course because they see someone living in a mansion with a lambo..... I would say that that end justifies the means.

...as long as the product is good (which most people on here rush to make judgements on without even using it).

I hope you are not taking things in this thread as a reflection of you or what you're trying to do because from what I've seen you've been nothing more than honest and upfront and from the material I've seen, providing good content.

Way back when, Tai offered his 67 steps for $5 plus he shipped you a copy of Managing Oneself, which is a pretty good classic book. (He also sent an audible version, all told I'm sure I cost him money).

Anyway, if you try to listen to the 67 steps, you would likely find he's a guy that likes to hear himself talk. I can almost promise you won't get through all 67. I listen to a lot of audio books and podcasts and I made it through maybe 11.

You will also likely start to have a lot of questions about this guy who is talking about being Cameron Diaz's neighbor and her parrot. Questions that are never answered.

A lot of the things he offers are in the $1.5k - 3K range and I think a lot of younger people get sucked into it in hopes of obtaining his life style without knowing how he actually got to where he is.

No, I don't think he is a traditional IM Frank Kern type and he's not featured in the video, but I worry he may kind of be the next generation of them.

I actually personally know one of the people featured in the Scamworld video / article. I've worked with him on unrelated things in the past. He is a very smart guy who knows his ecommerce stuff and has probably helped a lot of people grow their businesses. But, he got involved in this weird feedback loop of IM's who sold their products to wanna be IM's who tried to sell their products... It's a whole strange ecosystem where the people at the top were really raking in the cash.

I think if you stay true and honest and deliver value then there's really not a problem.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I hope you are not taking things in this thread as a reflection of you or what you're trying to do because from what I've seen you've been nothing more than honest and upfront and from the material I've seen, providing good content.

Way back when, Tai offered his 67 steps for $5 plus he shipped you a copy of Managing Oneself, which is a pretty good classic book. (He also sent an audible version, all told I'm sure I cost him money).

Anyway, if you try to listen to the 67 steps, you would likely find he's a guy that likes to hear himself talk. I can almost promise you won't get through all 67. I listen to a lot of audio books and podcasts and I made it through maybe 11.

You will also likely start to have a lot of questions about this guy who is talking about being Cameron Diaz's neighbor and her parrot. Questions that are never answered.

A lot of the things he offers are in the $1.5k - 3K range and I think a lot of younger people get sucked into it in hopes of obtaining his life style without knowing how he actually got to where he is.

No, I don't think he is a traditional IM Frank Kern type and he's not featured in the video, but I worry he may kind of be the next generation of them.

I actually personally know one of the people featured in the Scamworld video / article. I've worked with him on unrelated things in the past. He is a very smart guy who knows his ecommerce stuff and has probably helped a lot of people grow their businesses. But, he got involved in this weird feedback loop of IM's who sold their products to wanna be IM's who tried to sell their products... It's a whole strange ecosystem where the people at the top were really raking in the cash.

I think if you stay true and honest and deliver value then there's really not a problem.

Thanks for the insights.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Word on the street is that Tai Lopez is a Master of the 48 Laws of Power.

Enter action with boldness? Check.

Infuriate your haters? Check.

Employ the art of association? Check.

Apply Sun-Tzu, Musashi, et al by tracing deception throughout all of your moves? Check.

Court attention at all cost? "Here in my garage..."

Thanks for the insights.

Buddhist monk reply. LOL

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
i don't watch his videos but i surely liked this one. he talked about who are your heroes and that you must constantly try to model them and about society today on a whole and state that some of us are modeling the wrong persons like some of these celebrities and stuff which is true and that we must model the right persons like guys who are willing to change the world or great men from the past. although it's self help 101 it kinda have in some substance in it and led me to that great book "the greatest minds of all time" by will durant.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
50cent.png

50cent2.png

Relevant. A lot of people be faking it. Be cautious

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
50cent.png

50cent2.png

Relevant. A lot of people be faking it. Be cautious

50 is the real deal. He's organised himself (for legal issues) so that he isn't getting sued for millions. Watch an interview with the guy and you can tell he has the mindset - he isn't just some rapper fronting.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
50 is the real deal.

For the love of God, please don't turn this into a "50 is broke" vs "50 isn't broke" debate. Ill axe any of that in here as there is another thread here on that.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
For the love of God, please don't turn this into a "50 is broke" vs "50 isn't broke" debate. Ill axe any of that in here as there is another thread here on that.

I'm on my best behaviour - merely one comment on the fact that 50 is a fastlane role model who can be learnt from - rather than someone to stay clear of, as with Tai.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
50 is the real deal.

Im sure he is the real deal. But I am also sure he rents a lot of stuff like exotic cars, mansions, jewelry and shoots videos with them, just like how Tai Lopez is doing it. Its Hollywood. Anyone can make themselves look better than they really are when they are behind the cameras.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Im sure he is the real deal. But I am also sure he rents a lot of stuff like exotic cars, mansions, jewelry and shoots videos with them, just like how Tai Lopez is doing it. Its Hollywood. Anyone can make themselves look better than they really are when they are behind the cameras.

If you have $100m+ renting these things aren't an attempt to make himself look better. That is his factual, and very real reality. 95% of people live above their means, I don't think its a Hollywood problem.

Difference is 50 isn't using displays of wealth (that he can comfortably afford, unlike Mr Lopez) to sell junky rebill info products.

/End of discussion as per MJ's request.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
renting these things aren't an attempt to make himself look better. That is his factual, and very real reality.

Its a better business decision to rent these things out for a video shoot. Renting allows him to have variety. You don't want to be shooting videos behind the same mansion, cars, jewelry 30 times in a row. Plus he probably knows owning all these things has a depreciating cost to it. Being the smart business man 50 is, he knows not to splurge like crazy on these things hes only using temporarily.

If you have $100m+

I mean look at Mark Cuban. His net worth is like $3 billion and hes still penny pinching. Hes goes on amazon and buys a years worth of toothpaste and razor blades so he can get a 50% off. He hasn't lost touch with reality.

Source 11:30

I'm sure 50 owns a lot of nice things too. He can probably afford it all if he wanted too. Not saying hes broke at all. But the stuff you see in the media is a smoke screen.

(that he can comfortably afford, unlike Mr Lopez

Nobody know whether Tai Lopez can afford it or not. But what we do know is he is just renting all this stuff as his marketing strategy to attract people. Tai is a smart dude. We just have to be smarter.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Its a better business decision to rent these things out for a video shoot. Renting allows him to have variety. You don't want to be shooting videos behind the same mansion, cars, jewelry 30 times in a row. Plus he probably knows owning all these things has a depreciating cost to it. Being the smart business man 50 is, he knows not to splurge like crazy on these things hes only using temporarily.

I mean look at Mark Cuban. His net worth is like $3 billion and hes still penny pinching. Hes goes on amazon and buys a years worth of toothpaste and razor blades so he can get a 50% off. He hasn't lost touch with reality.

Source 11:30

I'm sure 50 owns a lot of nice things too. He can probably afford it all if he wanted too. Not saying hes broke at all. But the stuff you see in the media is a smoke screen.

Nobody know whether Tai Lopez can afford it or not. But what we do know is he is just renting all this stuff as his marketing strategy to attract people. Tai is a smart dude. We just have to be smarter.

yes

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Proof? Sources?

I think hes full of shit.

Funny how when you say you've achieved something - and declare it to the world - people want proof.

Funny how some of my biggest haters on this thread used to hate on me, even though I've put up pretty fat chunks of proof over some time.

Funny how the demands for proof remind me of another thread on this forum that I'll leave unmentioned.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet

SO I have been avoiding this thread b/c I really don't care who Tai Lopez is or what he does. BUT I was glad to see it has transformed into something of interest to me.

Seems like this thread is really boiling down to marketing in general.

Do you market with numbers, or with complete honest transparency?

My personal experiences:

I have made a lot of money in affiliate marketing, but I am eager to get away from it for many of the reasons stated all over this forum. I make my ads based 100% on numbers. Statics of what works better. I know that if I am selling a skin cream for women then I have to make sure I use pictures of good looking women to portray the product and make it out like it will make their life so much better if they reduced some of the blemishes and wrinkles and how their friends will be jealous blah blah blah. Basically full on marketing. Playing on peoples dreams and painting that picture. The same sales tactics that have been used to sell everything.

My biggest issue is I don't control the products I sell. I have no idea if they work at all or if the offer owner is even shipping out the product to the customers. I have ZERO control of that. I just bring the sales int through the door.

So I decided to start my own product line.

A straight sale, no strings attached physical product. It's a great feeling knowing you have full control of the entire business. However, I still market in much of the same ways. I still paint the picture of what my product can do and paint it in it's best light. I do not think that is wrong at all. I still use (mostly - i do have lot of ads) really good looking women for my ads as well and many of the other tricks of marketing to grab peoples attention and bring them to the front door.

That said, I do have refunds from people saying "didn't work as expected" and about the same number of people emailing me saying how wonderful it is and how happy they are.

To finish, IMHO there are marketing tricks that are just fine and help sell good and bad products alike. That's just plain good targeting and marketing. But there are marketing 'tricks' that are 100% wrong and unethical such as unclear subscription services, straight up lies about what the product/service does or contains, making the cancelation process or refund process super hard, etc.

I feel like that is what most here would agree upon for a generalized statement. Might be good to create a SPECIFIC list of things (with proof) that guys like Tai (or anyone really) use for marketing that is 100% wrong/unethical/illegal.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
SO I have been avoiding this thread b/c I really don't care who Tai Lopez is or what he does. BUT I was glad to see it has transformed into something of interest to me.

Seems like this thread is really boiling down to marketing in general.

Do you market with numbers, or with complete honest transparency?

My personal experiences:

I have made a lot of money in affiliate marketing, but I am eager to get away from it for many of the reasons stated all over this forum. I make my ads based 100% on numbers. Statics of what works better. I know that if I am selling a skin cream for women then I have to make sure I use pictures of good looking women to portray the product and make it out like it will make their life so much better if they reduced some of the blemishes and wrinkles and how their friends will be jealous blah blah blah. Basically full on marketing. Playing on peoples dreams and painting that picture. The same sales tactics that have been used to sell everything.

My biggest issue is I don't control the products I sell. I have no idea if they work at all or if the offer owner is even shipping out the product to the customers. I have ZERO control of that. I just bring the sales int through the door.

So I decided to start my own product line.

A straight sale, no strings attached physical product. It's a great feeling knowing you have full control of the entire business. However, I still market in much of the same ways. I still paint the picture of what my product can do and paint it in it's best light. I do not think that is wrong at all. I still use (mostly - i do have lot of ads) really good looking women for my ads as well and many of the other tricks of marketing to grab peoples attention and bring them to the front door.

That said, I do have refunds from people saying "didn't work as expected" and about the same number of people emailing me saying how wonderful it is and how happy they are.

To finish, IMHO there are marketing tricks that are just fine and help sell good and bad products alike. That's just plain good targeting and marketing. But there are marketing 'tricks' that are 100% wrong and unethical such as unclear subscription services, straight up lies about what the product/service does or contains, making the cancelation process or refund process super hard, etc.

I feel like that is what most here would agree upon for a generalized statement. Might be good to create a SPECIFIC list of things (with proof) that guys like Tai (or anyone really) use for marketing that is 100% wrong/unethical/illegal.
A very abbreviated version of my take is more along the lines what WHAT psychological trigger you are abusing. Cialdini lays out the psychological principles of persuasion into 6 key categories. I like the way he does it. It's as follows:
  1. Reciprocity
  2. Commitment and Consistency
  3. Social Proof
  4. Authority
  5. Liking
  6. Scarcity
I think exploiting any and all of these is fair game as a marketer. In fact, if you aren't exploiting at least 2-3 of them in any bit of marketing/sales, you're doing it wrong. Even the most ethical of salespeople will use these, or they wouldn't make a sale.

When used properly, these principles guide people towards a decision they should be making -- selecting YOUR product which will help them greatly.

But you turn evil when you use these principles irresponsibly. Here are some examples of what I, personally, think are evil and not evil. Of course, these are subjective, and everyone's opinion will be different...but of course I think mine is "right":
  1. Evil - Have a great product, but you sell it by resting heavily on authority you never earned. For example, "Buy my $1000 course on how to become a millionaire like me!" when you have never been a millionaire yourself....even if your information is valid. This is [potentially] what Tai does, if his product is actually good. It is evil because it is based on lying.
  2. Acceptable - Have a great product, and you sell it by resting heavily on authority you earned, or the authority of others who have. For example, "Buy my skin cream, because I am a doctor and believe this is the best formula for your skin" or "Buy my advertising software because I have been doing advertising for 10 years and I made the best product available".
  3. Evil - Have a shitty product, but you sell it by exploiting these techniques by lying. For example, using people in white coats saying they are doctors to say your penile enlargement pill will work even though they are paid actors and your pill doesn't actually work.
  4. Acceptable - Having a shitty product, and exploiting social proof by showing celebs or paid actors using your product and enjoying them. Colognes do this, as do apparel companies, etc. None of this is actually lying. It is an implicit relationship between the product and something the consumer admires/wants. The consumer isn't directly told that they will get laid by that hot model, but it is implied through social proof.
  5. Evil - The exact same situation as #4, but instead of implying you will get laid if you use the cologne, actually saying you will get laid using the cologne. Being explicit crosses the line because it's a flat out lie. It's not just creating an association between product and result, it's creating an explicit promise and expectation that now needs to be delivered.

Last edited:

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
This reminds me of the Southpark Mormon episode...

Such a good episode with a great life lesson, Southpark is extremely educational, in case you didn't know.

The episode has a Mormon family who moved into the neighborhood, is incredibly happy with his life, other kids hate him and give him shit because hes so happy, deep down they're jealous.

You learn the story behind what Mormons believe and why they are the way they are.

At the end, Kyle finally snaps at the Mormon kid saying "The story of Mormonism doesn't make sense! It's not true! It's all bullshit!!"
And doesn't want to talk to the Mormon kid anymore because he doesn't "believe" the story, even though the kid is cool.

The Mormon kid tells Kyle in a nutshell "It doesn't matter if the story is real or not, the story brings immense amounts of happiness and joy into my and my families life, F*ck off and have a nice day :) "

If Robert's Rich Dad Poor Dad was completely made up, does it even matter? No. The story provides many golden lessons and helps people.

If Tai Lopez is completely full of shit. It doesn't matter...

His Free YouTube videos provide tons of value, he's helping a lot of people. He drops a lot of gold nuggets.

The fact that so many of you spend a lot of time sitting here worrying about what some other guy is doing... at the end of the day Tai is providing more value to the world than 99% of you here, and makes more money than you because of it.

Why do you care... get back to work.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
>>> Forward to 11:02 <<<

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013

Love it! I myself was "stuck" for a while in the self-help and trying to build a business in it. And thank god I didn't. Now I'm focusing on building an actual business selling a physical product that really ads value.

It's so funny that many guys in their early 20s who wants to write a self-help book and help others, when they themselves haven't done jack shit yet.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
this thread reminds of the book the secret, everybody was talking about it on forums wondering if it was real or not. it even came on tv shows lol.do you guys remember it.

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
From a purely marketing perspective he knows his stuff - he's obviously read Influence as he utilises a lot of the persuasion marketing and compliance techniques talked about in the book.

But from a long term point of view, he's setting himself up to crash & burn IMO. He's very transparent and the fact that his shady dating sites are coming up is a good lesson that anything you do will effect your personal brand later down the track. How you make your money matters.

Last edited:

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
From a purely marketing perspective he knows his stuff - he's obviously read Influence as he utilises a lot of the persuasion marketing and compliance techniques talked about in the book.

But from a long term point of view, he's setting himself up to crash & burn IMO. He's very transparent and the fact that his shady dating sites are coming up is a good lesson that anything you do will effect your personal brand later down the track. How you make your money matters.

I've been following him since he first started and I still don't trust him. I look at the comments his subscribers leave on social media/forums and I sense they're they type to easily sell their souls to the devil. He has good character... but as of late... the way he sells himself... first it was the cars... now it's being surrounded by hot girls reading books, then his 2nd mansion with a basket ball court, then him training with the top martial artists in the US AND now hanging around with actors from TV shows...

I dunno... I feel more connected to MJ and motivated by just reading his book and browsing this forum (and not even meeting MJ in real life) than I do seeing and hearing Tai Lopez everyday on youtube ads/Facebook.

Heck, I might just be a hater and I don't realise it, but kudos to Tai in the end, something is working and he's living the life we all want.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you're posting a video by Tai (or about Tai) more than likely it's been posted here. PLEASE DO NOT START A NEW THREAD. Thank you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
MJ I bought your book after googling reviews on think and grow rich. Had a chuckle at the thread, loved the forum, bought TMF instead, case closed! Your model works ;) haha.

On Tai, I saw someone back on page 1 or 2 mention Mark Cuban would expose him if he ever went on shark tank. Apologies if already mentioned but I didn't get through the whole thread as I came down with a case of Tai-itis and felt sickly after 3 pages but I see Cuban did an hour long video with him. WTF? Why Mark.. You were my favourite shark dammit..

Kallin Trotman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Dec 30, 2015
Melbourne
I have done Tai's "67 Steps" program. It has some good general advice in it. Nothing special, and it is much less money and business oriented than his ads suggest. As for how him himself makes his money i think mainly is from his programs themselves, other than that he claims to be an "investor". It is however obvious when he talks about investing that he isn't a professional. Who am I to critisise though..He has much more money than do..At the moment..
He is an excellent salesman though.
I do not regret doing the program, Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Yes.
Would I recommend it to someone else? meh. maybe,

Eskaroots

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 31, 2013
Quebec, Quebec

So between the age of 20 and 30 you can not become ''Rich''. You can get money and use it sparingly and invest it in yourself but you can not be rich ? I feel I like nothing to offer to people I'm only a student in biotech who's into fitness and play video game and read when not going on with his day.

*English ain't my first language.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.