The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who I Am

aaron bowe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 14, 2015
Hello everyone! My name is Aaron, and I am a slowlaner. (That's how this works right?)

I've been putting off my introduction for far too long and I felt this moment was good as any. So here it goes...

Background
I was born into a slowlane family. Things were rough growing up with nine brothers and sisters to a single mother who was laid off from Albertson's after 17 years when the recession hit. My father fled to Texas with his nineteen year old wife and I didn't see him much until I was about seventeen. I grew up in the Inland Empire, California. (Basically the desert between San Diego and LA.) Things were very simple my entire life. Go to high school. Get a job. Have a family. That's it. My entire childhood up until high school was over consisted of play, and with the wrong group of kids. Most of the are on drugs now. Homeless people and drug addicts make up a large part the demographic, where I live. Immediately after high school, I had no plan for high school and I got a labor intensive job cutting down trees in the mountains. This job was one of the most physically labor intensive not to mention my boss who would destroy any pride you had every chance he got. I despised it. The change of reality going from a high school kid, partying often to a labor worker, working forty hours a week plus, sent me into shock. I developed an alcoholism problem hanging around middle-aged men drinking every day, that my family was often worried about. I bought everything myself in life and made the decision to purchase a car that I couldn't afford on a 5 year term. At 20 years old my life was clearly an eye sore.
Let's review.
  • 20 years old
  • No college education
  • 9 brothers and sisters with a single mom
  • Alcohol problem
  • Some Debt
  • Live in a small town full of drug addicts that never leave
  • I have experienced depression, worthlessness, death, divorce, alcoholism, drug habits, heartbreaks, and the tragedy of the slowlane, so I can assure you we share something in common.
What Changed
My mindset changed. My uncle let me borrow a book called, The Millionaire Fastlane . He never even read the thing himself! It took me less than 48 hours to read the entire thing. Never before did I have a role model for success until I met MJ DeMarco (not literally of course.) For once in my life, I realized that I was in control of my own destiny and I developed an obsession for knowledge. Since then I have read about thirty other books from some of the greatest authors including Napoleon Hill, Dale Carnegie and Anthony Robbins not to mention countless threads of this forum. This rewired my brain for success. My time is now spent in my office, aka my desk and computer, all hours of the day. No longer do I waste my time surrounding myself with drug addicts, alcoholics, and slowlaners. Rather, I spend my time with the people of this forum and other beings of success and optimism via my computer. I genuinely enjoy the feeling of reading, learning, writing, thinking, growing and bettering myself more than any drug or amount of alcohol could provide. My entire mentality has been rewired, redirected, and recharged.
What has changed? Everything.

The Why Factor
I don't just want to do this. I need to.
I have seen my mother get laid off after seventeen years of service and I can not allow this to happen to myself or my family.
I have experienced the shame which college students place upon the high school f* ups. I can not allow myself to achieve any less than them.
I have felt terrible feelings of depression, loneliness, and worthlessness because of my wasted potential. I must utilize every drop of that potential.
And lastly, just because I can. If life were a game, the slowlane would be losing and the fastlane would be winning.

I am here to learn as much as I can.

I am here to surround myself with like-minded individuals seeking the most out of life.

I am here to take responsibility and accountability for my actions.

I am here to live the fastlane.

Thank you to all who listened to my story,
Aaron.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'll be straight up with you. Alcohol is your worst enemy. And I'm not an alcoholic, but chased by it like a ghost all my life because I've been surrounded by it. You really have to make a choice to beat it, or allow it to sabotage your life, and trust me I know what it can do. It's your failure in every way if you don't give it up. And I do have an issue with Alcohol and I'll admit it. It's ugly, destroys your life and every relationship you have. It damages other people's lives you're around emotionally, mentally, and physically. Whether you're a nice drunk or a mean drunk I don't know. That would be your first success overcoming alcohol.

No longer do I waste my time surrounding myself with drug addicts, alcoholics, and slowlaners. Rather, I spend my time with the people of this forum and other beings of success and optimism via my computer. I genuinely enjoy the feeling of reading, learning, writing, thinking, growing and bettering myself more than any drug or amount of alcohol could provide. My entire mentality has been rewired, redirected, and recharged.
What has changed? Everything.

This is what you need to keep doing. Because taking advice from alcoholics and codependents you'll be sabotaged at every point. And constant drama.

I have felt terrible feelings of depression, loneliness, and worthlessness because of my wasted potential. I must utilize every drop of that potential.
And lastly, just because I can.

You're going to have to work every day hard mentally and emotionally to learn how to regulate your emotions, feelings, and thoughts. Meditation and like A.A. refers to one day at a time, which ends up being like mindfulness. Staying the now and present. Problem is you have to unlearn all that alcoholic and codependent thinking and mindset. Self-defeating negative thoughts, and listening to negative feedback from other co-dependent and alcoholic people. Your mindset is everything for success.

Getting rid of the victim hood and back story. Do you need the story? It's basically unlearning everything you know and starting from this point and never looking back. This isn't about your mom or brothers and sisters. This is about your experience and your life. Where you want to be. Who you want to be. Do you need the liquid poison? Because it's great artificial best friend that gets you no where in life. Trust me. Your future is being addicted to a bottle, sitting in a chair, playing video games, hanging out with other alcoholics and having a good time, and wondering why you're on the street and no relationships. Everyone I know is in this situation.

Success means get rid of it and kiss it goodbye. End of story.

Alcohol magnifies the depression and makes it bigger. When it's magnified you feel lonelier. When it's magnified you dwell on by worthless. This is all co-dependent and alcoholic behavior and thinking. So, don't fool yourself that you can relate it to other people's kind of loneliness etc in this forum. And even the need for perfection. Needing to prove yourself. Needing to be someone. All this has to be changed to a different mindset and vision for success, and dwelling on your problems and talking about them forever won't help you either. Write them all out, or go talk to someone, but get rid of it once, and than let go of it, and try the NLP. Acknowledge things, but don't allow them to drag you backwards in life instead of forwards. It can be a sinking ship and the more you sink, the harder it is to get up above the surface.

Learn to stay afloat and ride the waves and gain balance.

I am here to take responsibility and accountability for my actions.

As much as life sucks, this is the main key. No matter what anyone has done, is doing, or says now is irrelevant. Focus on doing what you need to do be a success and overcoming your obstacles. Allow other people to take care of themselves. Take care of you.

aaron bowe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 14, 2015
I'll be straight up with you. Alcohol is your worst enemy. And I'm not an alcoholic, but chased by it like a ghost all my life because I've been surrounded by it. You really have to make a choice to beat it, or allow it to sabotage your life, and trust me I know what it can do. It's your failure in every way if you don't give it up. And I do have an issue with Alcohol and I'll admit it. It's ugly, destroys your life and every relationship you have. It damages other people's lives you're around emotionally, mentally, and physically. Whether you're a nice drunk or a mean drunk I don't know. That would be your first success overcoming alcohol.

This is what you need to keep doing. Because taking advice from alcoholics and codependents you'll be sabotaged at every point. And constant drama.

You're going to have to work every day hard mentally and emotionally to learn how to regulate your emotions, feelings, and thoughts. Meditation and like A.A. refers to one day at a time, which ends up being like mindfulness. Staying the now and present. Problem is you have to unlearn all that alcoholic and codependent thinking and mindset. Self-defeating negative thoughts, and listening to negative feedback from other co-dependent and alcoholic people. Your mindset is everything for success.

Getting rid of the victim hood and back story. Do you need the story? It's basically unlearning everything you know and starting from this point and never looking back. This isn't about your mom or brothers and sisters. This is about your experience and your life. Where you want to be. Who you want to be. Do you need the liquid poison? Because it's great artificial best friend that gets you no where in life. Trust me. Your future is being addicted to a bottle, sitting in a chair, playing video games, hanging out with other alcoholics and having a good time, and wondering why you're on the street and no relationships. Everyone I know is in this situation.

Success means get rid of it and kiss it goodbye. End of story.

Alcohol magnifies the depression and makes it bigger. When it's magnified you feel lonelier. When it's magnified you dwell on by worthless. This is all co-dependent and alcoholic behavior and thinking. So, don't fool yourself that you can relate it to other people's kind of loneliness etc in this forum. And even the need for perfection. Needing to prove yourself. Needing to be someone. All this has to be changed to a different mindset and vision for success, and dwelling on your problems and talking about them forever won't help you either. Write them all out, or go talk to someone, but get rid of it once, and than let go of it, and try the NLP. Acknowledge things, but don't allow them to drag you backwards in life instead of forwards. It can be a sinking ship and the more you sink, the harder it is to get up above the surface.

Learn to stay afloat and ride the waves and gain balance.

As much as life sucks, this is the main key. No matter what anyone has done, is doing, or says now is irrelevant. Focus on doing what you need to do be a success and overcoming your obstacles. Allow other people to take care of themselves. Take care of you.
I read your response twice and the second time it really stuck on me. Thank you.

This will be the last time I tell my victim story because I will no longer let the past determine who I am. It's now that will determine the "Who I Am" in the future.

Alcohol is poison and I see it destroying everything around me. It was just the perfect drug to convince myself that I'm satisfied with my life but it isn't reality. I don't need an instant gratification escape, I need a plan.

I appreciate the wise words. Stay tuned for the progress thread in the future.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This will be the last time I tell my victim story because I will no longer let the past determine who I am. It's now that will determine the "Who I Am" in the future.
This where you will want to return every other day. And it is making a habit of diverting your focus back to now, and taking action to create the future you want tomorrow. Everything happens today. Today! So once you get in this habit of diverting your focus, you will do it automatically. And the same with everything else in your life. Same thing with alcohol. One minute at a time, one hour, one day. If you fail. Start all over again until it's automatic and don't beat yourself up about it. Just acknowledge, I screwed up, okay, end of story. Back on track. Move forward and let failure go.

I'm glad you see the seriousness of it and taking the right steps. And sure I'll look on your progress. :) You Can Do It!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
I cant remember who said it, maybe Tony Robbins in Get The Edge or Personal Power;

Who you are today is a result of your past decisions, your past choices. Its is a manifestation of your past. Who you are now will be reflected later on, make those changes, make those decisions, decide who you are and who you are going to be. The rest will follow.

Good luck and I hope you get to where you want to be.

Mass

Edit: Forgot to thrown in the madnatory 'You are responsible for your life, make your choices and hold yourself accountable. You drive your life, YOU'

Last edited:

aaron bowe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 14, 2015
I cant remember who said it, maybe Tony Robbins in Get The Edge or Personal Power;

Who you are today is a result of your past decisions, your past choices. Its is a manifestation of your past. Who you are now will be reflected later on, make those changes, make those decisions, decide who you are and who you are going to be. The rest will follow.

Good luck and I hope you get to where you want to be.

Mass

Edit: Forgot to thrown in the madnatory 'You are responsible for your life, make your choices and hold yourself accountable. You drive your life, YOU'
Thank you!

LynnD5000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
Good Luck - Just remember its a marathon - not a sprint - enjoy the view along the way - look up - the sky & view around you changes all the time - looking at the ground - not so much...

L

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...