The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
So you have to set out each day to get yourself in the right mindset with the correct vision of what you are working on and why, and the working part becomes much easier.

Very juicy nugget there, I must say I agree with you, when I plan my day or even week beforehand, things pan out much better for me.

a good example of this was an article I saw recently with the headline: "All successful people wake up at 4am" to which JK Rowling tweeted: "Oh, piss off".

My god I love that woman.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Morning routines, journaling, meditation has ALL made a difference to my life - if my mind and body is optimized, the results will follow but I don't think you can say all successful people meditate, journal or wake up at 4am.

It's not a "one size fits all" solution.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
After interviewing A LOT of successful people I noticed there is one thing they all have in common.

They have a system.

It can be as simple as writing down things on pen and paper or even just habits you developed and picked up over time or elaborate checklists.

But in the end, it all comes down to a system that works for you and your situation.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
The most productive guy I know consistently tells people to lose his phone number.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The most productive guy I know consistently tells people to lose his phone number.

We often are pushed for productive time because we have committed to doing stuff we agreed to. Of course we can say no but then how do you decide what is a no and what is a yes?

I have a lot of time for Derek Sivers views on the world. Derek makes it real easy. If it's not a 'Hell Yeah' then it should always be no.

Totally summed up in 50 seconds...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ehWlVeMrqw

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
And...

When do productive people do?

I have just recently come across this book:

"The Power of When: Discover Your Chronotype--and the Best Time to Eat Lunch, Ask for a Raise, Have Sex, Write a Novel, Take Your Meds, and More" by Dr Michael Breus (The Power of When: Discover Your Chronotype--and the Best Time to Eat Lunch, Ask for a Raise, Have Sex, Write a Novel, Take Your Meds, and More: Breus PhD, Michael, Oz MD, Mehmet C.: 9780316391269: Amazon.com: Books)

and it is amazing. If you want to be productive, you need to know when as well.

It is also well written, so reading is easy and reading only actual 'when' times suffices and makes sense. (if this makes sense). He even gives a graph for each chronotype so you don't have to read the book. But I recommend reading it because it might make little sense if don't know anything about chronotypes and your body and yourself...

Awareness is as usual the key.

You don't even have to buy it. Watch his youtube videos. Even the one with DJ Steve Aoki... Golden!

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
our identities are the trailing sum of our habits, ergo when we take on new habits, we are actually attempting to change our identities
There are a few key things that i beleive can help you become the person you need to be to get to the next level.
The words in bold contain this threads gold.

But don't take my word for it.
@MJ DeMarco has already figured it out:

*UNSCRIPTED* Identity Hacking: How to Kill Your Status Quo
NOTABLE! Beware! Growth-Killing Identity Labels...

So here's a short roadmap for uber-productivity:
  1. Have a vision. Make a 1/5/10 plan.
  2. Think about the kind of person that lives the kind of life you envisioned.
  3. Behave like that person.
That's it.
Sounds almost too simple and borders a bit on "act as if" and visualization-woowoo, but it just works for me.
Feels a bit as if my life turned into an action movie, and I'm director, main actor, scriptwriter and audience all in one, in real time.

Be. Do. Have.
In that order.

Last edited:
G

Guest1413tpa

Morning routines, journaling, meditation has ALL made a difference to my life - if my mind and body is optimized, the results will follow but I don't think you can say all successful people meditate, journal or wake up at 4am.

It's not a "one size fits all" solution.

Say it louder for the people in the back. This is what I preach through my newsletter.

I use meditation (breathing), grounding and journaling in my Field Notes book to keep me productive. Along with allowing myself breaks/mindless activity to keep me from avoiding burn out.

The simpler the better. I welcome the return back to Simple.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We often are pushed for productive time because we have committed to doing stuff we agreed to. Of course we can say no but then how do you decide what is a no and what is a yes?

I have a lot of time for Derek Sivers views on the world. Derek makes it real easy. If it's not a 'Hell Yeah' then it should always be no.

Totally summed up in 50 seconds...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ehWlVeMrqw
From one of my favourite little books. Great on Audible.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I find the more i try to micromanage my life, the more stressed out i become and the less i enjoy myself and the less motivated i become to actually do any work.

The more i simplify my life and let go this worry and that worry, the happier i feel and the more i feel this gut feeling that i wanna get some work done.

Still a work in progress though lol

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have always been inclined to make lists, otherwise I procrastinate.

My list of things that I need to do starts off in random order as I think of the action needed. Sometimes I will add to that list at 2am, when it came to me as I woke. The notepad on my bedside table has served me well. Getting rid of that thought by securing it on paper enables me to get back to sleep.

Likewise, the voice recording I make when something occurs to me while driving, will be added to the random list. Then comes the important part: I periodically go through the list and number each task or idea. Those numbers are then sorted into order of priority.

The result is that the really important ones have their place on the list changed and they are numbered 1,2,3 etc., and some are relegated to the bottom or at least further down the list.

The sad fact is that many of my Must Do's or great ideas will never be accomplished. After all I must sleep sometime. The good fact is that I get to put into effect those that really matter.

Walter

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have always been inclined to make lists, otherwise I procrastinate.

My list of things that I need to do starts off in random order as I think of the action needed. Sometimes I will add to that list at 2am, when it came to me as I woke. The notepad on my bedside table has served me well. Getting rid of that thought by securing it on paper enables me to get back to sleep.

Likewise, the voice recording I make when something occurs to me while driving, will be added to the random list. Then comes the important part: I periodically go through the list and number each task or idea. Those numbers are then sorted into order of priority.

The result is that the really important ones have their place on the list changed and they are numbered 1,2,3 etc., and some are relegated to the bottom or at least further down the list.

The sad fact is that many of my Must Do's or great ideas will never be accomplished. After all I must sleep sometime. The good fact is that I get to put into effect those that really matter.

Walter
Similarly, I have a Trello board I can access from my phone or PC. It’s called “Business Ideas On Hold”. It allows me to get them out of my head.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Say it louder for the people in the back. This is what I preach through my newsletter.

I use meditation (breathing), grounding and journaling in my Field Notes book to keep me productive. Along with allowing myself breaks/mindless activity to keep me from avoiding burn out.

The simpler the better. I welcome the return back to Simple.

If there IS a "success equation" - more people would be successful.

People can say what works for them. That's it.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
If there IS a "success equation" - more people would be successful.

People can say what works for them. That's it.

I think there are multiple success equations. And they are loooooooooooong. That's why people don't implement them.

You ever see those interviews, where some multi-millionaire is like, Yeah, I do xyz on a daily basis and apply method 123, which is how I can make 20 profitable businesses.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I dunno, I'm not exactly a productive person but I can see that it's more about what productive people don't do versus what they do.

They don't agree to things that they're not certain they want to do.

They don't make the decision to take action lightly.

They don't do everything themselves.

They don't sit in fear of the next grueling task (aka procrastination).

More importantly, they don't waste time trying to figure out what productive people do.

Productive people know that the vast majority of things they CAN do are complete wastes of their valuable time.

The One Thing by Gary Keller has helped me make progress without worrying about all the things that need to be done. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it needs to be, and just because it needs to be done doesn't mean it needs to be done by me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.