• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    How to Get Rich by Felix Denis

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: How to Get Rich, Felix Denis (Review | Discuss)

What Do Productive People Do?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Roli, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Seth Goodluck

Seth Goodluck Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,087
    May be worth a public google doc for people to edit/add to/etc

Roli likes this.
  2. njord

njord Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $483
    Jello likes this.
  3. njord

Rep Bank:
    $483
    I dont have a refrence of the morning ritual to be a bad thing its more like why should I do it? why should I bother but now im starting to see the benifits of doing it.:)

I have all notifications off all i have on my phone is a vibrate for if someone calls me (not often) and texts come in as a banner but in my pocket i wont know till i take it out.
    I dont have any TV all i have is internet, YT and this forum.

About the dopmine fasting, how do you do it? I assum you need to keep in touch with people for work and personal life? I not willing to cut everything off for a month:happy:.

4. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 The world belongs to the risk takers Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,040
    I’m going to diverge a little here...I understand the underlying premise of the thread however much of it is simply rewording the definition of productivity which is maximizing output for input.

What @LightHouse suggested is spot on. Reframing this question into “what do successful people do?” or, “what does X person do that I want to emulate?” will get you thinking on another level.

Productive people, in the sense that this thread is intended, do things that move the needle of their life. They get a ROI on their time. If their abilities can make them $500/hr, why would they be doing anything that could be hired out for $20/hr? And yes, they certainly prioritize.

To be truly productive, you need to narrow down your strengths and unique abilities and then leverage them as much as possible. Bonus points if like @Kak your strength is leveraging other people’s strengths because then it compounds and you see massive results.

Primeperiwinkle, NMdad, RMDS and 3 others like this.
  5. Seth Goodluck

Seth Goodluck Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,087
    There are some comments on the subject but the gist goes something like this:

As a human in the modern world you have thousands of things vying for your attention and energy. As an entrepreneur, you have a thousand times the things vying for your attention and energy.

I can think of hundreds of things 'to do' ranging from calling the next prospect on my dial list to doing the dishes to replying to that text from my freshman college roommate from a week ago.

But there isn't enough time in the day for all of those things and in that list there are some items that need to take priority.

One of my old bosses affectionately referred to this as "taking actions that move the needle".

Doing the dishes or texting my college roommate back are things I need to do and will get to. But I shouldn't prioritize those over making a cold call for instance or fulfilling an order. The latter two 'move the needle', the former two probably do not.

Thus, productive people prioritize. They see the top items that need to get done and focus 100% of their energy on those. Then the next. Then the next. Then the next. Occasionally 'taking a break' to handle minutia.

Roli and Bekit like this.
  6. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,988
  7. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    I get that, however this thread came from me musing about all the “what do successful people do?” blogs and articles that are choking up the internet, and I realised there is one major flaw about them.

They all tell me what successful people do now, whereas success is a journey, so I want to know what those people did on their way to becoming successful. What did Bill Gates do on his way up, what he does now is interesting, however how much value will I get from copying that? Surely the value is doing what he did when he was just a student at Harvard Business School, or even before that.

This is why I tried the technique in the first place, for years I wanted to be tidy, I knew tidy people clean up a lot, however that wasn't enough to make me tidy. Now I have a guideline of what they do in each room of the house and for the first time in my life, I'm being tidy.

The point with all this is, all these things are obvious to people whom are naturally tidy or productive, however to people like myself they are not, so need to be broken down in this granular way.

One major trait of successful people is they're productive, which is a term without substance, ergo I'm trying to add substance to it.

It's just the way my brainbox works, there's no point in telling me to "just do it", I want to know how I "just do it".

Maybe I have a unique and special brain and only I will benefit from this approach... I think that's a statistical unlikelihood though :)

NMdad and Rabby like this.
  8. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    Would love to get @biophase in on this, and of course @MJ DeMarco. Also @Fox strikes me as an extremely productive individual...

9. Olimac21

Olimac21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,758
    Productive people have non negotiable activities/habits.

JuliaLV and Rabby like this.
  10. chuckypita

chuckypita Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $373
    When are you going to sell me that document? $$$

Roli likes this.
  11. chuckypita

chuckypita Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $373
    Productive people always begin with the end in mind = HOME RUN

12. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    Hmm, others have said similar, I'm not sure I agree. Everyone starts a project with the end in mind. It's like when people say you'll get what you want if you really focus and want it. Every single athlete in the Olympics wants to win gold, every football team wants to win the cup, every business person wants success. However only some make it...

I'm thinking productive people understand about focusing on the process, the little things that move them forwards...

Thoughts?

13. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    Just scroll up and you can download it for free! :)

CopyDane likes this.
  14. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    What productivity tools do people use?

I'm trying to get into Google calendar, however it's clunky and annoying. I just want a simple and quick calendar with a shallow learning curve.

15. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    In the spirit of productivity, I have just mapped out my week, inspired by Cal Newport, author of Deep Work.

Cal's productivity tip is to set yourself up so that you don't waste a single second of each day. So I've mapped out my entire week.

Red = Deep work time (At least 2 hours of uninterrupted work, whereby nobody is in the house, or they're asleep)

Purple = Semi deep work (More than one, yet less than two hours of uninterrupted work).

Yellow = Me time (gym, mealtimes, dog walking, menial yet necessary tasks, phone calls, emails, etc.).

Green = Family time

What's interesting is how little red time I can make in the week. My goal is to make at least another 8 hours on the weekend, which will almost double my deep work time.

As I posted above, I think I'd rather use a different tool than Google calendar, however this is the best I can do at the moment.

Any thoughts, suggestions, observations, are most welcome.

weekly_work_schedule_one.PNG

SteveO likes this.
  16. njord

Rep Bank:
    $483
    I dont agree, the problem with just focusing on just the process is that you will get clogged up with tasks that are not 100% necessary for the end result.

For example you could spend the hole day cleaning up your workspace so that you are more "productive there" but this task will do 0% to the end result of your one thing.

So I think its very important that you keep the end result in mind so you wont be distracted by tasks that are not relevent to the end result.

17. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132

Your example highlights the difference between being busy and being productive.

Cleaning up your workspace, sending emails and a whole host of other things can be classed in the busy file.

However being productive is about doing the things that actually move you along, so for instance if you're writing a book, then sitting down and writing it is being productive. Spending two hours looking up different character names is being busy.

So when I say focus on the process, I mean focus on the things that move you along, in fact we could just simply shorten this to:

Productive people identify which are the most important tasks within a given project, and then focus on completing them.

Now you might say, yes but that is the same as focusing on the end result, both I, and James Clear from Atomic Habits disagree.

Focusing on the end (goal), is just another form of procrastination, and it can actually keep you from that goal.

For instance, this entire thread was made because instead of focusing on being tidy (the end goal), me and my family started focusing on what tidy people do (the process). Obviously we want that end goal of a tidy house that stays tidy all the time, however we've tried that and it didn't work. Now we focus on the little things that move us towards that, and it is working.

So whilst I might want to be productive and organised, I have always wanted this, yet it doesn't ever seem to happen. Now I'm taking Clear's advice and forgetting about focusing on my goals, now I simply acknowledge them, and spend my time focusing on the little things that get me there.

Of course as you point out, it is an ongoing process whereby you have to make sure that the things you concentrate on, are the best ways to spend your time.

Ninjakid likes this.
  18. njord

Rep Bank:
    $483
    Ok this is kind of funny two books contradict each other in this regard (the one thing vs Atomic habits).

I must say im far from an expert iv just read "the one thing" and a few random threads here about the topic.
    My best guess is to try and error this shit and see what works best for you. (what you have aready done:))

And otherwise just pick up the gold bits from both books and put them together in a way that works.

I have yet to read atomic habits but its on my list.

Roli likes this.
  19. NMdad

NMdad Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,644
    Agreed. Having a concrete, tangible picture of what it looks like--instead of generalities--makes it clearer to see how I can apply it, specifically, in my own life.

Roli likes this.
  20. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132
    Bingo!

If there was one solution for everyone, then we wouldn't even be debating it!

21. chuckypita

chuckypita Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $373
    When you start with the end in mind.... I feel like it gives you an end goal and then you can break it down.

For example:

"I'm going to create a painting company that I can turn around and sell for $5,000,000 in 5 years"

Now that you have the end in mind... $5,000,000 in 5 years - how do you get there?

$125,000 in profit per month in sales to get $5,000,000 for company.

How do you get $125,000 in profit per month?

Cost breakdown, labor breakdown, how many sales do you need, etc....

Starting with the end in mind and working backwards let's you focus and drill down further and further so you can take action and get the desired results.

If you don't start with the end in mind.... well, you're just Alice in Wonderland....

NMdad, njord and Roli like this.
  22. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $9,132

I like this system because I've identified ahead of time when my deep work moments are, and so I can simply drop tasks into this template.

So for instance I know that 10 am - 12 pm everyday are two hours whereby I won't be disturbed, ergo I put my most important tasks there.

I know that in my green times, I will be distracted by family stuff, so then I can send emails, do light admin, and even post on social media.

My purple times are good in the morning, I still get deep work done, however I know my girlfriend will wake at 6 a.m., and so I will be distracted as I greet her good morning and possibly talk about stuff for the day that we need to be in sync with.

23. ProcessPro

ProcessPro Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $844
    There is no such thing as a behavioral vacuum, so if your goal was to exercise, or work on your fastlane business and you didn't, that means you were doing something else in that space of time. Thus:

Productive people eliminate distractions as if it were a disease.

Productive people work first, and play guilt free later. (it's nice to indulge later in the day after you've invested in your long term plans without feeling guilty 'gosh, I didn't work on my fastlane idea today')

njord and Roli like this.
  24. SparksCW

SparksCW Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,815
    Productive people delegate.

Something that really helps me, but I don't actually do it regularly enough (habit!) is to start the day by planning the day, rather than diving right in. Certainly not a new idea, but I find if I plan my day before starting then I get more done.

I also agree with the reverse engineering comment, if you know where you want to end up / what you want to achieve you can work backwards far easier and more focused than just doing busy stuff..

Roli likes this.
  25. Kennypaul

Kennypaul Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $928
    Awesome post.Currently reading the book right now.Its really enlightening.Thanks @Roli.

Roli likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.