The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

OFF-TOPIC Vent about the fastlane formula

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

peddletothemetal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 5, 2021
OP used the word "sacrifice" a lot, but I wonder what he's so worried about sacrificing, like what his alternatives are. Ok probably you'll have to sacrifice playing computer games all evening for years or whatever, but are you really going to pretend that's a meaningful sacrifice?

Maybe it's the other way. Sacrificing a dull and meaningless life for an exciting one that might have mattered in the end.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

FauxPas

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 12, 2020
Virginia, United States
OP used the word "sacrifice" a lot, but I wonder what he's so worried about sacrificing, like what his alternatives are. Ok probably you'll have to sacrifice playing computer games all evening for years or whatever, but are you really going to pretend that's a meaningful sacrifice?

Maybe it's the other way. Sacrificing a dull and meaningless life for an exciting one that might have mattered in the end.
By "sacrifice" I mean delayed gratification . In MJ's wealth exposed story the mid twenties millionaire was explaining to Coney (Probably wrong name) that in order for him to have had the things he has now he had to delay gratification, drop out of college, etc. He had to live breathe sleep and shit his business for a while until he was able to delegate it to the point where he no longer needed to run the business as much. It was thanks to his proper delegation that kept his business alive because he at one time had to spent a few months in the hospital. It was thanks to his general manager that his business did not collapse. And so when it came time to sell his business he gave his general manager one or two million dollars I think to thank him for his integrity. Essentially he was explaining to his old college friend that it took WORK for him to get to where he is and that it wasn't just a luck event that happened. But now that I think back about that story I realize I'm essentially acting like that old college friend in a similar fashion who wasn't sold on how the millionaire was trying to explain how he got rich in the first place. It's not that I'm not sold on it, I just do not have the right frame of mind for it. I lack patience for something I anticipate to likely drag out longer than I'd like it to. I prefer to work towards things where it doesn't take light years to see the fruits of my labor realized (Making an app, getting an A on a test, etc). If it's something like mount everest for example, I have to have the passion for it in order for me to have the patience with the process. If I do something I utterly hate, then I am not going to have patience and will not go deep enough into it. When you do things you hate all you think about is when it will be over, that's where you give a f*ck about the amount of time it's sucking out of your soul. But if I were to do something I'm passionate about then I would surely not care about the time because it's something I would do willfully in perpetuity. The only way I can see myself do the fastlane is if I find what the market wants but doesn't know how to get that I can give to them at scale under my passions. I know the passion part will go against what MJ says about it but it's the only way I can see myself doing it. I'd only pursue entrepreneurship if it's a way I can do more of what I already like / love doing. So that way even if I don't end up rich in the timing I would like it to be I would have least enjoyed the years I spent in it (And if I still happen to feel that the money just isn't as enjoyable when you're middle-aged as opposed to young then I would give it away.) So the only way I can feel that I would've not pissed away my youth is if I did something I'm really passionate about.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
By "sacrifice" I mean delayed gratification . In MJ's wealth exposed story the mid twenties millionaire was explaining to Coney (Probably wrong name) that in order for him to have had the things he has now he had to delay gratification, drop out of college, etc. He had to live breathe sleep and shit his business for a while until he was able to delegate it to the point where he no longer needed to run the business as much. It was thanks to his proper delegation that kept his business alive because he at one time had to spent a few months in the hospital. It was thanks to his general manager that his business did not collapse. And so when it came time to sell his business he gave his general manager one or two million dollars I think to thank him for his integrity. Essentially he was explaining to his old college friend that it took WORK for him to get to where he is and that it wasn't just a luck event that happened. But now that I think back about that story I realize I'm essentially acting like that old college friend in a similar fashion who wasn't sold on how the millionaire was trying to explain how he got rich in the first place. It's not that I'm not sold on it, I just do not have the right frame of mind for it. I lack patience for something I anticipate to likely drag out longer than I'd like it to. I prefer to work towards things where it doesn't take light years to see the fruits of my labor realized (Making an app, getting an A on a test, etc). If it's something like mount everest for example, I have to have the passion for it in order for me to have the patience with the process. If I do something I utterly hate, then I am not going to have patience and will not go deep enough into it. When you do things you hate all you think about is when it will be over, that's where you give a f*ck about the amount of time it's sucking out of your soul. But if I were to do something I'm passionate about then I would surely not care about the time because it's something I would do willfully in perpetuity. The only way I can see myself do the fastlane is if I find what the market wants but doesn't know how to get that I can give to them at scale under my passions. I know the passion part will go against what MJ says about it but it's the only way I can see myself doing it. I'd only pursue entrepreneurship if it's a way I can do more of what I already like / love doing. So that way even if I don't end up rich in the timing I would like it to be I would have least enjoyed the years I spent in it (And if I still happen to feel that the money just isn't as enjoyable when you're middle-aged as opposed to young then I would give it away.) So the only way I can feel that I would've not pissed away my youth is if I did something I'm really passionate about.

Ok, but the alternative to all this is that you go get a job and make a salary. How does that fit in with everything you wrote. How would that path make you happy. You would get tiny tiny amounts of gratification on every pay check day, but that would diminish to zero within 6 months. Now you have no chance at anything.

BTW, may I suggest that you use paragraphs in your future writing, it would make your posts much easier to read?

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I know the passion part will go against what MJ says about it but it's the only way I can see myself doing it.

Bingo.

You don't want to sacrifice. You want to have fun. You don't want to get uncomfortable.

You want to be Rey on Star Wars and pick up a lightsaber and be an expert without any hardship.
You want to be a superstar, but not train for it.
You want six-pack abs, but you don't want to sweat and eat right.
You don't want to earn talent, you want to discover it.

Your mindset exemplifies why the 99% remains mediocre and the rat-race will have an unlimited supply of rats.

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 28, 2019
Even if you find an industry you are passionate about you will quickly find that running a business eventually starts looking very similar regardless of what you are selling. If that weren't the case business books would be irrelevant to 99.9% of the public.

The feeling of success comes from doing something that gives you an appropriate level of "challenge" and "satisfaction".

The first metric, challenge, changes and grows as the business grows. That's where the financial reward eventually plays out and where you get the asymmetric benefits that MJ talks about. Challenges get bigger normally as an operation scales and so you have to solve bigger and bigger problems.

The second metric, satisfaction, comes from different arenas. Yes, there is personal satisfaction (i.e. do you enjoy the work), and that is where most of the "follow your passion" advice comes from and plays into but there is also the satisfaction of your customers. Satisfied customers make you satisfied and make you feel that you are doing something worthwhile, satisfied customers also keep the lights of your business on.

Your ability to also create an environment where these two metrics are high for your staff will attract great people, who will in turn take your business even further. It's a self-fulfilling positive feedback loop.

In thinking about business, I would make it less about yourself and more about the external. You have to want to build something and be committed to the process because you think the world will be a better place for it, not because you want to buy a lambo and make your friends jealous.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 24, 2014
You talk about lacking patience.

There's two things wrong with this:

1) Patience is a virtue

2) Do you really know how long it takes to get a 7,8,9 figure exit?

Moiz Ali (early 30s), $100m exit, 18 months

Me (26), ~$2m exit, 15 months.

Ryan Moran (early 30s), $15m exit, 48 months

You've probably never heard of Moiz or Ryan, let alone myself, right? I'm probably like a pawn in the grand scheme of possibilities. The number is irrelevant. What matters is that these exits are far too common. They happen every single day. I had no connections. No money to start with. My family weren't entrepreneurs. I was burned out from being rejected from med school year after year. I was a lazy fat f*ck. I had a bad gambling habit in my early 20s. But you know what, it was all my fault. I was to blame. When you realize that everything that happens in your life is in your control (excluding genetic diseases and being hit by a car), you either do something about it, or you continue living in the sh*thole. There's nothing wrong with living in the sh*thole, but you just lose the right to complain or criticize others.

With all that said, entrepreneurs, in my opinion, have an innate nature to get things done. You either have this, or you don't. When you talk to people that have made it, there's something distinctly different in the way speak, what they speak about, how they utilize their time, etc. Then when you speak with your cousin in the 9-5 world, it's a 180 degree turn. All they talk about is Tik Tok, vaccines, travelling, posting pictures on Instagram, etc. Again, you choose your own destiny. Don't talk about how you don't have patience. You think I have patience? Who really has patience? It's just a matter if you want it bad enough. If you don't, yes, you'll find every excuse possible.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
You are looking at this all wrong.

You are comparing the hard journey of running your own business with some magical alternative where you get to enjoy your youth endlessly and party for the next 10 years in an endless summer of fun.

Look either way you are working. It is either going to be to build your own dream or to build someone else's.

That doesn't mean it can't be fun though. Running and growing your own business is super additive. Once you get a taste over that full freedom of your time, focus, and success rewards there is no going back.

When I was your age I partied it up for another 5/6 years. I had a lot of fun.

By 25 I had a high paying oil job but I had zero control over my time and life.
I decided to leave that behind and have a shot at starting my own biz.

I failed a bunch - a Tinder Bot app that went nowhere, a Conor McGregor cereal box brand, a website for booking Spanish lessons, an IG page for book reviews, all kinds of stupid stuff.

It took me a year to get into web design which was my first source of real income. So like 26/27 at this stage.

I am now 33 and still not millionaire status (maybe next year) but by just being on the Fastlane journey I have gotten to live in Colombia, Mexico, Malta, Georgia, Ukraine and Poland. Like at least 3 month in each and for most over a year. Along with these places I have a million memories of fun adventures and amazing times.

I still work my a$$ off but that is also enjoyable too. Enjoying your life and growing a business are both possible.

Bottom line is @MJ DeMarco has given you a real plan to have a life that you control and reap the full rewards of your effort. When you actually get a million it's not like you are going to blow it anyway. What you are really after is control - and if you don't control your own income/wealth then you don't control your life.

It is possible to both enjoy being young and grow a real business (look at @Johnny boy above and many others on here) but you do need to be on the right path and actually get some real work done too.

You are in the right place but you are looking at things in the wrong way.
Stick around and give it time for things to soak in.

FauxPas

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 12, 2020
Virginia, United States
Ok, but the alternative to all this is that you go get a job and make a salary. How does that fit in with everything you wrote. How would that path make you happy. You would get tiny tiny amounts of gratification on every pay check day, but that would diminish to zero within 6 months. Now you have no chance at anything.

BTW, may I suggest that you use paragraphs in your future writing, it would make your posts much easier to read?

My bad writing is the result of not taking English class seriously when I was in school (A very horrible mistake that comes to haunt me now). That's one thing I definitely need to work on.

I wasn't saying that I would prefer to take the path of the slowlane over the fastlane. All I'm saying is that I will concentrate my focus on attaining financial freedom (Making money independently of time) instead of becoming rich (having f*ck loads of money) because you don't have to be rich to have financial freedom, but you do need to have a decently sized enough lump sum so that you can sustainably be retired.

The nice thing about it is that you don't have to wait until you make your exit to achieve it. If you delegate your business properly you can enjoy a near complete liberation of your time, and then when you're finally ready to make your exit you end up freeing up your time 100% by putting that money into income producing assets.

Now you're probably going to say that I can have wealth before I make an exit. While that is true, the problem is, is that I risk not having money for if my business goes belly up. I mean obviously capital appreciation is the best way to get rich, but, I also need to save like 90% of the income I make out of the business to be sure that I will have the large enough lump sum I need so that I can generate money independently of my time. I.e the exit will just be the icing on the cake. But since most real fortunes are realized through capital appreciation and not from business profits it makes me feel like that it will take a while for me to be rich.

Anyway I will forget about getting rich and instead focus on financial freedom using the fastlane because I've been thinking too much about the money and not the freedom when it really should be the other way around.

Again let me stress that financially freedom is something that I DO WANT regardless of how long it will take for me to get there, because if it's going to take my time for me to have more time than I would rather have more time than more money (not as in I prefer being broke). I'm very likely going to have financially freedom first before I even have wealth, which is fine. I have patience for financial freedom more than wealth because we all have to get there eventually. However I won't let myself be complacent and wait until I'm 65 to have it either. I'll do everything I can to have both as soon as possible, but wealth is something I'm only willing to accept if I'm young enough for it (Unless if I happen to change my mind later on.)

My goal here is to eventually get to a point where I make $40,000 a month after taxes without having to work for it. I wouldn't care how long it would take. Although I wouldn't consider that rich. Rich for me would be making 1 million a month.

Last edited:

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I found the forum when I was 18. I didn't start my winning business until I turned 23 (started it on my birthday). I'm 27 now. It took me 5 years to pull my head out of my a$$ and nearly 10 years to finally get to the point where I'm financially free. I do not regret my sacrifices.

Ing

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I had some businesses in my 20s.
Would have been nice to have a forum like this than. in 1985!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

peddletothemetal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 5, 2021
if I did something I'm really passionate about
There's plenty of businesses that meet your parameters, you just need to do the research required to dial in on it. Not all businesses are a 3 year valley of death style business, many can be making money in less than a month, and plenty of businesses have sprung out of a passion.

In the end there's nothing physical blocking what you want, just psychological, and hopefully some of the responses in this thread will give you enough to hop to the next step (research).

Eric Flathers

Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Nomad
Not even going to bother...

There are so many fallacies, misstatements, strawmen, and misinterpretations in your post that I'm not going to even entertain it.

You see, when you start with a false premise as ridiculous as this, a strawman that I never said, in fact, something that I counter-reiterate over and over (entrepreneurship is like baseball needing many swings) your entire argument is already lost.

Believe what ever you want, but I'm not going to debate your fallacies and strawmen arguments.

Sounds like this guy is a corporate headhunter who is loosing clients.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
I attended the live session, really loved it! It gives some useful and practical tips on how to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Three things: 1. Discord Chat is open. Click here for free access. 2. New YouTube Channel...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Its for students who have joined. Did you sign up? Hey Rob, been watching your infoproduct and...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom