The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Shotglass Method: Do just 1 of these 3 simple things every day for maximum daily fulfilment...

Anything related to matters of the mind

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
While we're all busy building a better future let's not forget about poor little old today. Today is our best friend but we push it aside to pay all our attention to the future but when will be become wealthy? Today? No. When will we become financially free? Today? No. When will we be [insert your goal here]? Today? No. Today is all we really have. In a way I believe we die every night and are reborn every day to live and grow again so what can we do to give some love to today?

I call it the Shotglass Method and no (perhaps sadly) it has nothing to do with alcohol.

The Shot Glass Method
(The Real Secret to Daily Fulfilment)

OK, so you’ve got a great life, living on a 2X income and the bank is starting to fill up with your savings…now what? Tim Ferriss (in his excellent book The 4-Hour Work Week1) raised an excellent point about the purpose of setting and achieving goals, because apparently according to people he polled, that’s what made life “great.” I’d like to further explore this idea but first, here’s what Timothy said…

“Let’s assume we have 10 goals and we achieve them – what’s the desired outcome that makes all the effort worthwhile? The most common response is what I would also have suggested five years ago – Happiness. I no longer believe this is a good answer. Happiness can be bought with a bottle of wine and has become ambiguous through overuse. There is a more precise alternative that reflects what I believe the actual objective is.

Bear with me. What is the opposite of happiness? Sadness? No. Just as love and hate are two sides of the same coin, so are happiness and sadness. Crying out of happiness is a perfect illustration of this. The opposite of love is indifference and the opposite of happiness is – here’s the clincher – boredom.

Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it’s precisely what you should strive to chase. It’s the cure-all. When people suggest you follow your “passion” or your “bliss,” I propose that they’re, in fact, referring to the singular concept – excitement. The question you should be asking isn’t, “what do I want?” or “what are my goals?” but “what would excite me?”

Tim make an excellent point and given me food for thought. Is the answer to a great life to just do exciting things all the time? I think I would find it a bit exhausting to be excited all the time and I’m sure the message here could be to find joy in the daily excitement of life, so I’m going to make it a more complete rule by adding two more elements – satisfaction and fascination. But how often do we need to feel excited, satisfied or fascinated? This is a great question. I believe we live daily. Today is what matters most. Sure, tomorrow is important but today is urgent, and “urgency trumps importance”.

If you can spend just a small part of your day doing something exciting, satisfying or fascinating, you’re living as full a life as you ever possibly could.

We need excitement, satisfaction or fascination daily. Further, I think that the key to having a great life is 2X income and/or doing something exciting, satisfying or fascinating. But why do we need daily excitement, satisfaction or fascination? I believe these three elements are like vitamins. Just as vitamins are essential to maintain good health; excitement and satisfaction are essential to maintain general happiness but you have to keep taking vitamins just like you have to find excitement and/or satisfaction daily.

Imagine a small shot glass with “The Good Life” printed on it like a logo. All you need to do is fill your shot glass with one shot of either excitement, satisfaction or fascination daily to feel like you’re getting the most out of life. You might have two or more shots of excitement in one day, and we often do, but I believe all you’ll ever really need to feel “full” is one. There’s no need to spend all day on a constant high of excitement, satisfaction or fascination. Just one “shot” of any element will be enough.

I believe we should measure our lives by how much we do, not by how long we live or how much we have, and a “shot glass” a day of something exciting, satisfying or fascinating is enough for us to feel like we’re leading as full a life as we can each day. Let’s put it to the test and see if it explains some (previously) puzzling human behaviour.

Does it explain why some people don’t feel the need to search for ways to make money constantly? Yes, it does, because they’re probably getting their little shot of excitement or satisfaction in other ways. Let’s look at some people and see if they live (or lived) their lives using their own form of the shot glass principle.

Mother Theresa; did she live her life drinking from the shot glass of satisfaction or excitement? Probably a bit of both, like all people, but I’d guess for her it was mostly about the satisfaction of helping people. What about a skydiver or an athlete? I’d guess mostly excitement with some satisfaction at the end. What about teachers? Most teachers work for the passion of teaching. What about scientests, they may not feel excited every day or satisfied (as they seek the answers to the universe) but might they feel a sense of fascination in what they're slowly discovering? You bet ya.

Why do “rich people” still teach? Could the Shot glass theory also explain why some “rich people” stop to help and teach others? Do you think just because they have lots of money that they don’t need a shot glass of excitement or satisfaction every day just like everyone else? They get it from teaching and helping people. Money has very little to do with why they teach. Sadly we know this because teachers are (for the most part) poorly paid. They obviously enjoy sharing and teaching and probably will forever. It’s inherent in who they are.

Some small thinkers wonder (sometimes out loud), “If someone is so rich, why would they sell me a course or book on making money? Surely they’d just be off enjoying their riches and not worrying about me – right?” This kind of thinking makes them doubt that money making guides have any value, so they miss out on the opportunity to gain knowledge from people who are willing to teach them. If you think of this from a shot-glass perspective, you’ll see it makes perfect sense that someone would stop their "partying" (roll eyes at what some people think rich people do all day) and teach (no matter how “rich” or “poor” they are). They get a deep sense of satisfaction and possibly some excitement as well as some extra income. It makes perfect sense.

Teachers like to teach. Helpers like to help.
It’s what they do. Money rarely changes that.

When you achieve 2X (and I believe you will quite soon), you’re not going to just sit at home and watch TV all day, every day, forever. You might for a while, but eventually you’ll set a new direction for yourself and head off again, all excited about your new project. Why? Because the enjoyment of excitement and the fulfilment of satisfaction are almost drug-like in their power to drive us toward our goals.

We all need to drink a “shot glass” of excitement or satisfaction or fascination every day in order to feel good about our lives, no matter how much money we have, or even if having large piles of money isn’t important to us. Even if it’s just doing a good deed or making an anonymous contribution, or reading, watching or listening to something that has you truly fascinated it will fill you up. Are you starting to get the picture? You can start living like that right now, can’t you? It’s all you’ll need to feel like you’ve lived a good life that day, as you lay your head on your pillow at night.

For example, I’m involved in internet and information marketing and there are many short courses on ways to make money by successfully marketing goods and services online. Many of these short reports and courses can be read, understood and even acted upon in one day, but too often we hear of people who don’t follow through on every single course they buy. The Shot Glass Theory explains this behaviour perfectly.

Let’s say a person with a winning attitude decides to educate themselves and they buy a short course on how to make money. If you’re an entrepreneur like me you’ll know what I mean. We would obviously get excited that day (filling our shot glass with excitement) but the next day we might not follow through, often resulting in unnecessary feelings of inadequacy… “Why can’t I follow through?”we think.

What’s happening here? There’s a conflict. How can something be so great one day and be totally abandoned the next? How does the “Shot Glass Theory” help us understand this common behaviour? Consider this; when we buy the exciting new money-making course that night, are we excited? Do we find the information fascinating? Probably but let's say yes. Let’s agree that our shot glass was filled (with excitement) and consumed that night, but what about the next day?

Given that we need a fresh shot glass of excitement, satisfaction or fascination each day, can you imagine anything that might come along in our life that next day that might fill the shot glass with something else exciting, satisfying or fascinating that’s NOT related to the course we bought last night? Easily – right? Does this mean we aren’t committed? Of course not; it just means we live life on a daily basis like every other being on the planet. What was important yesterday might not be the most important thing today and that’s OK. Has this modern life been reduced to a series of accomplishments as the only measure of quality?

I believe that’s a flawed way to live and I’ll discuss goal-setting another time, but can you see why it’s perfectly valid for them to have bought the course (it filled them with excitement for a day), and that it’s also perfectly reasonable and understandable why they didn’t follow through with it the next day? Something else might have happened the next day that filled their “excitement or fascination Shot glass”. I believe each day is a universe unto itself and each day requires a fresh dose of these three elements and that’s all it requires to live a great life. This is why it doesn’t really matter how much you achieve or when you achieve it. It really only matters that you live as full a life as you can every day.

Do you know for sure that you’ll wake up each morning? Do you have the same control over your life and reactions when you sleep as when you’re conscious? No. Lots of people die in their sleep. Lots of people die every day. You might die tomorrow. So live for today and worry about tomorrow… tomorrow.

I think striving to fill your daily shot glass with some excitement, satisfaction or fascination is enough of a life goal for anyone. Any further growth, excitement, satisfaction or fascination for that day (two exciting or satisfying things might happen in one day) is just a “cherry on top” and makes life even more interesting – but it’s not essential for that feeling of fulfilment. That’s why some people are very happy with their lives just the way they are. Do you know anyone who’s seemingly enjoying their life but is not frantically doing everything they can to become a “millionaire”? I’m sure you do – in fact that describes most of us doesn’t it? As long as we get a daily dose of these three essential elements, then (rest assured) we’re living a full life.

There’s no need to achieve mighty things every day to feel fulfilled. There is satisfaction in moving toward your goals but relying on the achievement of goals can be dangerous to daily satisfaction and will only rarely feed daily excitement, so I propose we consider re-assessing the agonising and uncomfortable importance we attach to setting and achieving goals as the only measure of success and give some love to poor little old today because it loves you and gives you life - love it back. It has much to offer.

That's what I reckon anyway.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Great topic and post, thank you for sharing your opinion.
I actually thought about this for some time and initially wanted to start a thread myself.

How much do you want to sacrifice of your today so you can live a better tomorrow?

I'm not talking about surfing social media, playing xbox, watching youtube videos or something - cut that shit, no question.

I'm talking about your WHYs, the stuff you want to do so badly that it makes sacrificing worth it.

Maybe spending time with your family, enhancing relationships, watching your kids grow up, making new friends and experiencing cultures.
Maybe immersing in hobbies/passions, creating art, playing instruments, doing sport or traveling.

How much time with your kids do you want to cut now so you can have much more time with them later?

Are there any self-imposed mental guidelines on how much time one "shot of life" should consume?
Any tips on how to not feel bad about taking a (bigger) shot?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
You're welcome. Good question.

There's not really a "too much" that I can see. Think of the little shot as all you'll need. If you have a day that's really really exciting or really really satisfying or really really fascinating it's all good and all the same. The need is for "some". More is better but there are diminishing returns after a certain level in the sense that all the shot glass is supposed to do is give you a great day. If you have a really really great day - all the better.

The point of the shot glass method is to focus briefly on doing "all you can today". I see too many people stressing about something they're not yet or something they haven't got yet. Just a little shot glass of seeing that these little things are all our lives are made up of. Joy in life isn't in the future, it's in seeing the joy of today because that's all we've ever got and all we'll ever have.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
The point of the shot glass method is to focus briefly on doing "all you can today". I see too many people stressing about something they're not yet or something they haven't got yet. Just a little shot glass of seeing that these little things are all our lives are made up of. Joy in life isn't in the future, it's in seeing the joy of today because that's all we've ever got and all we'll ever have.
So you are saying sometimes a shot is as small as stopping what you are doing and remembering that there is no need to stress about it?

What I meant with my question above:
It's a sunny day, and I'm working inside. Making progress, moving forward.
As the day is slowly coming to an end, the work I planed on doing is not done yet.
I could go out for an hour and train Parkour - it makes me exited, and it's satisfying to be out in the sun with fresh air after a long day of good work.
Except I could use the hour for work and finish my inital plan.

Now, if I go out I will feel guilty in the back of my head and will ask myself questions like "aren't 30min enough?" "can't you train tomorrow?" which will make me doubt my decision.

Normally that is really simple to solve.
When working for college, I have a clear list of what I have to do, outlined by the finals. There is a clear end: memorize these 10 useless powerpoint slides and you are done. When you are working faster, you will be done faster.

In business there are oftentimes endless lists, because there is no ceiling - if I finish work for one client, I have to work on getting the next one.
Completing the task earlier just means I get to start with the next point earlier.

How do you decide when to stop on the endless list and take a shot?

I'm not quite sure if those points are still relevant to the topic though or if I'm hijacking the thread..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Not exactly, All you have to do as you lay on your pillow at night is answer one question. "Did I do something that was exciting, satisfying or fascinating today?" If the answer is yes, you've lived as good a day as you ever could.

Sure, there are endless things you didn't do or could have done or could have done better - that's up to the individual to decide how pissed off at yourself you're going to be about that. All we can do each day is our best to live a good life and judge our success on that. If we look to the future for a measurement of success it's folly because today is yesterday's future and if we're not going to feel good about our lives today then when?

There's no need to stop the endless list. That's another issue, but if you're doing things on that list to a measurable and decent level then you really should feel satisfied - even if you thought you can do better. If you didn't feel any satisfaction then maybe there was something (totally unrelated) that was exciting that happened or you got fascinated in something. It can be anything small because sometimes there's big wonder in small things. If none of these things happened (very rare) then maybe that was a wasted day and tomorrow you should aim to make sure you stop to appreciate the little special moments that make us feel alive.

It doesn't have to be a big thing but I'm suggesting it only needs to be a small thing. Doing a good deed, helping someone who's struggling or reading a fascinating opinion that changes the way you look at everything. These are all things that mark a a good day. This is a message that's eons old - I just pulled it into the modern day lives we lead. We may not have become a millionaire today but that doesn't matter because we lived and we experienced the emotions that make life worth living and that's all we can really be grateful for. Let's not allow the poison of "not being or not having" infect our days when in reality we did do things that we can be pleased about and got through another interesting day.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
All you have to do as you lay on your pillow at night is answer one question. "Did I do something that was exciting, satisfying or fascinating today?" If the answer is yes, you've lived as good a day as you ever could.

Ahh I see, looks like I misunderstood you. Thank you for clearing things up!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.