The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Inside The Mind Show" With MikeCarlooch - Marketing & Entrepreneurship

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@mikecarlooch

If you can, put yourself on the left of the screen. You're the host, and you're the one asking questions. You also look to your left so it makes sense if your guest appears where you're looking.

Add chapters/sections or whatever they're called in the YouTube video?

Introduce your guest at the start? Who they are and why you wanted to get then on the show.

Finish by thanking them for their time, maybe giving a few of your big takeaways, etc, and then ask them to tell listeners how folks can find them.

When someone says something maybe don't reply with "Understood".

Come up with some variations you can use. Some to get them to expand, and some to allow you to change subject and ask a succinct question.

"Nice! I think that will help people trying to decide whether to go to college or not. Changing gears/I'm curious/I see you have a podcast... Do you think personal branding is essential?"

"That's interesting. What did you mean by Y?"

Or even that simple technique of picking out one key word/phrase from what they said and asking that.

"1,000 hours?"

Good for you starting fast out of the gates. Maybe publish one long video per week? (Start how you mean to continue... for a decade?)

Just me braindumping at the airport.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I think my primary concern would be having to babysit someone. What I would want to see in someone is a willingness to be a fly on the wall, look professional doing it, and not get in the way. I don’t want to constantly have to find ways to entertain someone, I’d want to go about my business and allow my apprentice to observe and ask questions later. Finally, I’d want them to provide some kind of value to me, whether it be scheduling appointments, writing emails, or driving my truck, just making my life easier. They need to be a solid gain on my life instead of a consumer of my time.

Would I pay? Yeah probably. More like a cash tipping situation. I’d expect whoever shadows me to be willing to make sacrifices to be there, even if that means working nights, hustling a service business, or a second job to make their time there work. That’s not for me, that’s for them. Making sacrifices for something they want makes it more important to them.

Do I have this opportunity available right now? No. I don’t feel like there’s enough action every day to teach what I’d want them to learn. I don’t need a homeschool student. I’d need a value adding, go getting, super smart, self sufficient, do what it takes attitude that learns from doing and values experience over all.

I have had periods of time where my work days would be highly valuable and entertaining to an apprentice, and periods of time where an apprentice would be bored to death. Personally, I’d aim higher than me for now.

Again, it’s case building. Build a case that you’re not just a lead weight added to their day. Convince them it’s a brilliant idea to have you around. Offer any and all value you can for only chance to learn. Remember school is expensive and you’re literally paying an institution so you can work, free is a bargain by comparison.
Thanks! I get exactly what you mean - when I was a bit younger I went to every single one of the people I wanted to be like at the time, but I A. Didn't try hard enough like you said on the call.. I just sent them a DM on their already-popular instagram page expecting them to see it and B. Was offering no value.. My value pitch was like "I'll help you work out" lol

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
@mikecarlooch... we discussed this in our chat.

Say you wanted to get on Kyle's radar to work *with* him.

Don't ask "How can I help you?" ... that's making Kyle think or ask you what you can do for him. He's going to say No.

Notice how his main issue with taking someone on is they'll take up his time. For a business owner their time is their most precious asset.

So turn it on its head. How can you save Kyle time and help him get what he wants?

What does he want? Is there anything close to his heart you can help him with that you don't need permission to help him with?

Ok.. yea I guess on our call I didn't appreciate the power of this in the moment, I see how this can make you stand out SO much from everyone else

What about creating 3 TikToks/YouTube Shorts from his podcast? What about taking 3 video clips from his chat with you and adding your magic and giving them to him with instructions on how to upload to TikTok, YouTube, Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels, LinkedIn, etc?
Funnily enough, this is exactly what I'm doing also for you
Be a person of value.

Show, don't tell your value.

Don't ask for permission. JDI

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
@mikecarlooch

If you can, put yourself on the left of the screen. You're the host, and you're the one asking questions. You also look to your left so it makes sense if your guest appears where you're looking.

Great Idea...

Add chapters/sections or whatever they're called in the YouTube video?

Introduce your guest at the start? Who they are and why you wanted to get then on the show.

Finish by thanking them for their time, maybe giving a few of your big takeaways, etc, and then ask them to tell listeners how folks can find them.

When someone says something maybe don't reply with "Understood".

Come up with some variations you can use. Some to get them to expand, and some to allow you to change subject and ask a succinct question.

"Nice! I think that will help people trying to decide whether to go to college or not. Changing gears/I'm curious/I see you have a podcast... Do you think personal branding is essential?"
Yea, you nailed it on the head I need to be doing all of this

The "Understood" part especially lol, @Kak my phone with what I wanted to ask you actually died throughout it and was just winging it - for me in calls sometimes I don't understand the true value of what someone said to me until I watch it over, and a lot of the stuff I replied "Understood" to is actually some of the most valuable stuff, but it just didn't cross my mind in the moment.

one of my goals with this show is to become able to take all of the information someone says and appreciate it in the moment, and give it all the praise it deserves while we are still talking.

I'm glad I started this - it's a real challenge and communication is one of the things I've always wanted to be great at, but always falsely labeled myself "Introvert". Starting a show like this has honestly.. Taken me years to get anywhere near wanting to put myself out there in long form conversation
Good for you starting fast out of the gates. Maybe publish one long video per week? (Start how you mean to continue... for a decade?)
Yea.. this is something I'm going to consider - I decided for the first few episodes I would get my momentum going so that I get invested in it, and that meant uploading to youtube right after the call was done.

Now that I see people are loving it, upcoming shows will have more edits and better structure.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
It takes guts to start a show and put yourself out there. Kudos @mikecarlooch

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Kak

Well done getting out of your comfort zone. I thought you did good being asked questions and thinking on your feet. (Note to self... try not to be a guest so late at night. You won't think as fast and speak as clearly.)

About "diesel and coffee". It just means go out of your way and get to know people in an informal setting. For me it's a Zoom call. For you it could be a round of golf.

I felt so let down. I was so expecting you to say how a personal brand is an asset we have for life that's also non-taxable.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Hi Mike, great content and work you're doing. Is it possible to add a link to the full video within the comment section of the shorts and pin that comment?

I'm thinking that would help people who'll like to see the entire clip from the shorts you're sharing
Thanks for the suggestion Dami - Absolutely

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
About "diesel and coffee". It just means go out of your way and get to know people in an informal setting. For me it's a Zoom call. For you it could be a round of golf.
I cycle and run with people to get to know them. It's a way that lowers that curtain and shows the "real" person, not someone trying to sell you something. When you are tired, energy to pretend to be someone else isn't quite there. This is another reason why some people insist on getting drunk before a business deal... lowers the defence mechanisms.

I felt so let down. I was so expecting you to say how a personal brand is an asset we have for life that's also non-taxable.

Haha, someone is paying attention to the KKRS.
Personal brand 100%, but it doesn't need to be the online brand like Kradashians, I think the question was a little more specific in that regard.

@Kak if Kim Kardashian can indeed become a CEO of a big company... remind me to sell all shares quick! :rofl: .

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I cycle and run with people to get to know them. It's a way that lowers that curtain and shows the "real" person, not someone trying to sell you something. When you are tired, energy to pretend to be someone else isn't quite there. This is another reason why some people insist on getting drunk before business a deal... lowers the defence mechanisms.
I do something similar although it hasn't been with any business people - I take them to free jiu jitsu class, something like this has bought me closer to many people just by having them come to a single class with me

Which also in turn builds the relationship with the owner of the facility (who's a great entrepreneur) because I'm bringing business!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I cycle and run with people to get to know them. It's a way that lowers that curtain and shows the "real" person, not someone trying to sell you something. When you are tired, energy to pretend to be someone else isn't quite there. This is another reason why some people insist on getting drunk before business a deal... lowers the defence mechanisms.

Haha, someone is paying attention to the KKRS.
Personal brand 100%, but it doesn't need to be the online brand like Kradashians, I think the question was a little more specific in that regard.

@Kak if Kim Kardashian can indeed become a CEO of a big company... remind me to sell all shares quick! :rofl: .
I never said she would do a good job, but idiots would certainly put her there. There are useful idiots at the helm of most major companies.

@Andy Black The question was about how essential it is to build a personal brand, and I don’t consider it essential. I consider it an asset.

Remember I’m someone who runs an industrial materials company and no one cares at all about my personal brand. There’s plenty of opportunity that doesn’t require a personal brand.

Now, I also believe it’s something to build as well because, like I have said in the past, I do consider it another kind of wealth. The question was asking how essential or how important it is. The truth is, of all the multi-millionaires I know, no one has some giant personal brand. The multi-millionaire I know with the biggest personal brand is probably MJ. There’s opportunity to just provide value.

Can a big following help? Absolutely. A big following can be a sales machine.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I do something similar although it hasn't been with any business people - I take them to free jiu jitsu class, something like this has bought me closer to many people just by having them come to a single class with me
Here in Vancouver, we have a very popular hike, called The Grouse Grind Trail. I am fit, any meeting on this hike gives me a clear indication of who's next to me. I've done company events like this to get closer to our employees and see who's who. There are so many benefits to this method of getting to know people, it's incredible. Thanks @Andy Black for sharing this concept, it's GOLD.

More info on the hike:
The Grouse Grind Trail is located in North Vancouver, BC. It is a very steep trail that starts at 300 metres elevation and climbs to 1,100 metres over a distance of approximately 2.5 kilometres.

The hike is rated difficult because of its steepness. You need to be in good physical shape to tackle the trail. It is not a walk in the park. There are no flat sections – it is straight up.

If you have any health issues, e.g. high blood pressure, heart problems or breathing problems such as asthma, the Grouse Grind Trail is not for you.

How long it will take you to hike the trail depends on your fitness level. Two to 2.5 hours is the average for those with a good level of fitness.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Here in Vancouver, we have a very popular hike, called The Grouse Grind Trail. I am fit, any meeting on this hike gives me a clear indication of who's next to me. I've done company events like this to get closer to our employees and see who's who. There are so many benefits to this method of getting to know people, it's incredible. Thanks @Andy Black for sharing this concept, it's GOLD.

More info on the hike:
This has me thinking..

I want to one day go and do events and activities like this with employees in the Philippines!

Something like that I feel would build a real connection and culture for a remote team

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Good decision to have a preview uploaded in addition to the entire episode.

Reminds me of commercials from when was a kid watching tv looking forward to next weeks episode.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Good decision to have a preview uploaded in addition to the entire episode.

Reminds me of commercials from when was a kid watching tv looking forward to next weeks episode.
Thanks ! that's what I was going for. Shoutout to Russell Brunson , his book Traffic Secrets explained that concept

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Today we look inside of the mind of Steve Hilgart aka @Kung Fu Steve ! One of the most fun episodes yet!

Learn how to change your belief systems, learn some amazing marketing strategies, Jay Abraham, Steve's rags to riches story, experience working with Tony Robbins, business lessons, and SO much more..!

Enjoy :D

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Today we look inside of the mind of Steve Hilgart aka @Kung Fu Steve ! One of the most fun episodes yet!

Learn how to change your belief systems, learn some amazing marketing strategies, Jay Abraham, Steve's rags to riches story, experience working with Tony Robbins, business lessons, and SO much more..!

Enjoy :D

Haven’t finished watching the whole show yet, but here is a pic from my home library :) @Kung Fu Steve you reminded me of a time long … long ago… when this book was transforming my life too.

9E7753EE-F46A-41A4-8075-6826A5A2DF06.jpeg

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Haven’t finished watching the whole show yet, but here is a pic from my home library :) @Kung Fu Steve you reminded me of a time long … long ago… when this book was transforming my life too.

View attachment 45534
So powerful.

I'd argue "Old Tony" is much better than "New Tony" ... Although there are a few things he's updated in there since the book was written.

One of my favorite parts that I laugh at over and over again is his example of successful people... Like OJ Simpson... The football player :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
So powerful.

I'd argue "Old Tony" is much better than "New Tony" ... Although there are a few things he's updated in there since the book was written.
It is and it did transform my life. No doubt about it.

I don’t know the “new Tony” as the last book I read “Money” was a disappointment and I stopped. But the old Tony was there for when I needed him most.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It is and it did transform my life. No doubt about it.

I don’t know the “new Tony” as the last book I read “Money” was a disappointment and I stopped. But the old Tony was there for when I needed him most.

I'm the self-proclaimed biggest Tony fan on the planet but, to me, the difference between old Tony and new Tony is he really dumbs it down for people these days.

He has SO much knowledge on human behavior and psychology and barely scratches the surface nowadays. I get it. He's now talking to the general population -- not just seminar junkies like myself.

View: https://youtu.be/NuEruhJUsPs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrwSJc6EZrQ

I have a super old video of him telling a story about a helicopter flying experience that is by far the most advanced hypnotic persuasive story I've ever seen or heard in my life. I'll dig it up and send it privately (even I'm not supposed to have this one haha)

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I'm the self-proclaimed biggest Tony fan on the planet but, to me, the difference between old Tony and new Tony is he really dumbs it down for people these days.

He has SO much knowledge on human behavior and psychology and barely scratches the surface nowadays. I get it. He's now talking to the general population -- not just seminar junkies like myself.

View: https://youtu.be/NuEruhJUsPs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrwSJc6EZrQ

I have a super old video of him telling a story about a helicopter flying experience that is by far the most advanced hypnotic persuasive story I've ever seen or heard in my life. I'll dig it up and send it privately (even I'm not supposed to have this one haha)
Tony seems like someone where you should do what he does and not what he says, I’ve always wondered how deep it goes. Like if you go to one of Tony’s very expensive seminars, there’s still tactics behind it probably, I’m wondering at what point he actually is teaching what he truly does to build his empire.

@Lex DeVille ’s guru cults thread was interesting on this subject, I’m wondering how deep Tony is into cult indoctrination and things of that nature

Needless to say, he’s brilliant

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Tony seems like someone where you should do what he does and not what he says, I’ve always wondered how deep it goes. Like if you go to one of Tony’s very expensive seminars, there’s still tactics behind it probably,

No, you should really listen to what he says AND does :p

He DOES everything he says. Dude is exactly the same on and off stage. It's really disturbing when he's banging on his chest asking me how sales were going :rofl:

I’m wondering at what point he actually is teaching what he truly does to build his empire.

Always.

Unfortunately, the events are all sold out (he's retiring so everyone is catching wind of that), but if there's not a sold-out event this next year, I'll personally buy you a ticket and fly you out so you can experience it for yourself.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I think my primary concern would be having to babysit someone. What I would want to see in someone is a willingness to be a fly on the wall, look professional doing it, and not get in the way. I don’t want to constantly have to find ways to entertain someone, I’d want to go about my business and allow my apprentice to observe and ask questions later. Finally, I’d want them to provide some kind of value to me, whether it be scheduling appointments, writing emails, or driving my truck, just making my life easier. They need to be a solid gain on my life instead of a consumer of my time.

Would I pay? Yeah probably. More like a cash tipping situation. I’d expect whoever shadows me to be willing to make sacrifices to be there, even if that means working nights, hustling a service business, or a second job to make their time there work. That’s not for me, that’s for them. Making sacrifices for something they want makes it more important to them.

Do I have this opportunity available right now? No. I don’t feel like there’s enough action every day to teach what I’d want them to learn. I don’t need a homeschool student. I’d need a value adding, go getting, super smart, self sufficient, do what it takes attitude that learns from doing and values experience over all.

I have had periods of time where my work days would be highly valuable and entertaining to an apprentice, and periods of time where an apprentice would be bored to death. Personally, I’d aim higher than me for now.

Again, it’s case building. Build a case that you’re not just a lead weight added to their day. Convince them it’s a brilliant idea to have you around. Offer any and all value you can for only chance to learn. Remember school is expensive and you’re literally paying an institution so you can work, free is a bargain by comparison.
Hey Kyle @Kak - have a question going back to this.

I have an opportunity to go and be an apprentice of an owner and CEO who is very successful in the addiction rehab space.

There's a couple of concerns I have -

1. It's got nothing to do with the industry I've stepped foot in
2. He is over 70 years old, not a young entrepreneur (not sure this matters)

Is this something you think is worth jumping on to get experience and knowledge, and spotting opportunity?

Or would watching the CEO of a company that's too big be out of the realm of practicality?

Obviously just asking for opinion, not a definitive answer.

Thanks!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Hey Kyle @Kak - have a question going back to this.

I have an opportunity to go and be an apprentice of an owner and CEO who is very successful in the addiction rehab space.

There's a couple of concerns I have -

1. It's got nothing to do with the industry I've stepped foot in
2. He is over 70 years old, not a young entrepreneur (not sure this matters)

Is this something you think is worth jumping on to get experience and knowledge, and spotting opportunity?

Or would watching the CEO of a company that's too big be out of the realm of practicality?

Thanks!
Sometimes working with people who "aren't in your space" provides a special type of value you wouldn't realize otherwise. Things become a lot more simplified because you aren't thinking in your "language of choice".

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Sometimes working with people who "aren't in your space" provides a special type of value you wouldn't realize otherwise. Things become a lot more simplified because you aren't thinking in your "language of choice".
Thanks for mentioning this! Good point

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

Opinion: only join if you see value in learning ins and outs of the industry. Don’t do it if you just want to “learn from an entrepreneur”. You can learn a lot from reading and interacting with many other entrepreneurs (even just on this forum, using DM or threads like you do). But the best learning will happen by you DOING things for your business.

(Edit)
Let me clarify, you aren’t starting at zero. You aren’t fresh like I was when I was 18 or even early 20s. I was a stumbling idiot and I would have benefited from someone showing me the way. You are way ahead already. Way ahead. You can and should be choosing what is best for your current reality.

I don’t follow. What is the question here? Can you rephrase please?

Yup, offering only an opinion… not telling you what to do. Not a financial advice etc…

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.