The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a business with siblings?

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
I'm currently starting my first fastlane adventure and I am going back to my roots as a software developer for that. My general goal is to solve business problems with software solutions (Micro SaaS to be clear). Now to my main question:

My older brother has founded a consulting business in his field (bookkeeping for high profit enterprises) a year ago and they are already quite profitable. Well, we talk almost every two weeks about our businesses (even tough I'm only a freelancer at the moment) and what we have learned and where we've f*cked up, what we did right, etc. He knows about my mindset since I've read TMF and he was quite interested in the "concept" since the first time we've talked about it. He still went the slowlane-route with his business partner and they are trading their time for money. Know he came back to me looking for advice. I have explained the concept behind TMF again and ordered the book for him. Now, I do have kind of a problem:

He knows that I'm going back to my roots and that I'm going to develop software again - this time for my future customers and not an employer, lol. He thought about a Joint Venture or even founding a company together because he has quite some "cool" ideas and has quite some niche knowledge which is highly valuable imho. He is working in an industry which is completely retarded in terms of how they work. Like, people in this field are using 10 year old programs which weren't updated in the last 5 years and having only issues with it, etc. Now, that he has his niche knowledge and maybe one or two solutions to a real problem where people are actually paying for it (even though, the solutions are quite bad imho), there would be a potential joint venture between me and my brother BUT

Is this really a thing I should consider? I mean, doing business with a family member? I only heared bad things about it. Same goes to founding with good friends and so on. On TFF I've read one thread HOT! - $400,000 Business, Need To Dissolve Business Partnership With My Brother and something like that sounds like a complete nightmare. I could be kind of naive and tell myself that this will never happen because our relationship is that strong, but what happens when money is involved? What happens when there are big differences in our opinions regarding certain things?

I would be happy to read some advices.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon45x4yB

I'm currently starting my first fastlane adventure and I am going back to my roots as a software developer for that. My general goal is to solve business problems with software solutions (Micro SaaS to be clear). Now to my main question:

My older brother has founded a consulting business in his field (bookkeeping for high profit enterprises) a year ago and they are already quite profitable. Well, we talk almost every two weeks about our businesses (even tough I'm only a freelancer at the moment) and what we have learned and where we've f*cked up, what we did right, etc. He knows about my mindset since I've read TMF and he was quite interested in the "concept" since the first time we've talked about it. He still went the slowlane-route with his business partner and they are trading their time for money. Know he came back to me looking for advice. I have explained the concept behind TMF again and ordered the book for him. Now, I do have kind of a problem:

Il sait que je reviens à mes racines et que je vais développer à nouveau des logiciels - cette fois pour mes futurs clients et non pour un employeur, lol. Il a pensé à une joint-venture ou même à la création d'une entreprise ensemble parce qu'il a pas mal d'idées "cool" et possède des connaissances de niche qui sont très précieuses à mon humble avis. Il travaille dans une industrie qui est complètement retardée en termes de fonctionnement. Comme, les gens dans ce domaine utilisent des programmes vieux de 10 ans qui n'ont pas été mis à jour au cours des 5 dernières années et n'ont que des problèmes avec, etc. Maintenant, qu'il a ses connaissances de niche et peut-être une ou deux solutions à un vrai problème où les gens paient en fait pour cela (même si les solutions sont assez mauvaises à mon humble avis), il y aurait une coentreprise potentielle entre moi et mon frère MAIS

Est-ce vraiment une chose que je devrais considérer? Je veux dire, faire des affaires avec un membre de la famille ? Je n'en ai entendu que du mal. Il en va de même pour fonder avec de bons amis, etc. Sur TFF, j'ai lu un fil HOT ! - Entreprise de 400 000 $, besoin de dissoudre un partenariat commercial avec mon frère et quelque chose comme ça ressemble à un cauchemar complet. Je pourrais être un peu naïf et me dire que cela n'arrivera jamais parce que notre relation est si forte, mais que se passe-t-il lorsque l'argent est en jeu ? Que se passe-t-il lorsqu'il y a de grandes différences dans nos opinions sur certaines choses ?

Je serais heureux de lire quelques conseils.

Merci d'avance

Bien à vous
Look man, it all depends on your partner's mentality. Choose a partner who cares about providing real value, rather than a guy who just wants money. To detect the objectives and mentalities of your partner, it will be necessary to exchange a lot!

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
Look man, it all depends on your partner's mentality. Choose a partner who cares about providing real value, rather than a guy who just wants money. To detect the objectives and mentalities of your partner, it will be necessary to exchange a lot!
no offense, but have you even read my thread?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.