The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Proof That There Was a Before(Video + Link)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Ok, for anyone who knows me they know I've talked a big game for the last 4yrs I've been on Fastlane yet haven't really backed it up until recently. Now I'm taking it to the next level. I have set 3 life-changing goals that I intend to accomplish in the next 5yrs.

They are:

1) 1m Net-Worth
2) Run a Boston Qualifying Marathon Time
3) Tryout for and Make a Major League Roster

Here's the video:
[video=youtube;RlFgTZUDdTA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlFgTZUDdTA[/video]

Here's the blog post

How I intend to accomplish them:

1) Proactively build our tax business based on market-place needs and find ways to take what is currently a "slowlane" service business and turn it into a fastlane(i.e. an Information System and/or a Distribution System). Bottom line is the market-place needs a better tax service for the demographic of middle-class families who earn b/w $50-150k and either Itemize or own a Small Business. This demographic is getting killed in the prep fees they pay to traditional store-front franchises, not to mention the level of service they get there is well below-average. On the other hand, the high-quality services(i.e. independent or chain CPA firms) charge a TON and we've found that even some of them are well-below the level of quality we provide with our service and I am very confident(based on previous returns we've seen from new clients) that we are in the upper-echelon of quality which when combined with our reasonable pricing makes us the best value in tax service :)

2) This is the easiest of the 3. On 9/21/10 I was at an all-time high at 274lbs and could barely run 3mi despite being a two-time Chicago Marathon finisher w/ a PR of 4:33:04(~10:00/mi for 26.2mi). In just 3 months time with the proper diet and exercise regimen I ran the PF Chang's Arizona 1/2 Marathon in a mind-boggling time of 1:43:16(7:52/mi for 13.1mi). Then I fell into a deep depression starting in March that lasted through most of 2011 that set me back to running around a 9:30/mi pace. Now I'm back to running 10mi+ in under 9:00/mi and still have about 20lbs to lose to get back to the 219 I weighed in on race-day for the AZ Half. First test will be running Rock N' Roll San Diego on 6/3. There I'm shooting for around 3:45. If I can easily accomplish this then my first shot at a "BQ"(3:05 or less) will be Rock N' Roll Las Vegas in Dec. Even if I don't accomplish it in '12 I know I'll easily do it within the 5yr time-frame.

3) The most difficult of the 3. First off, my age(28) is a HUGE red-flag. To make the major leagues at my age is practically a pipe-dream, but if the movies "The Rookie", "Invincible" or "Rudy" are any indication, "impossible" does not exist! Not to mention I have an advantage over about 90% of those who dream of making "The Show"... I'm LEFT-HANDED and I PITCH. My pitching needs a TON of work and I'm certainly at the "don't quit your day job" phase of my training, but thankfully my primary business only takes up about 3mos of the year(even though it still requires work in the "off-season" it's nowhere near the volume of the actual tax season). Thus, I have plenty of time to get involved in one of the many Adult Hardball leagues here in AZ so I can begin my rise to dominance. Even better, I'm lucky enough to be walking distance from the shared Spring Training facility of the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians so I get to "scout" their major/minor league talent and see the adjustments I need to make to my own mechanics so that I can throw as hard and accurate as a 6'4" 239lb lefty SHOULD throw ;)

Best of all, I have an excellent training partner that I met at White Sox Spring Training a couple weeks back. A 2B for Arizona Christian who actually tried out for the White Sox this past weekend and shares my goal of making an MLB roster.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Good work on making your goals public.

I guess goal number 1 would be achieved upon completing goal number 3 (although after reading the book 'Moneyball' I'm not quite sure). You'd know more about that.

Just a thought. Wouldn't goal 2 hinder your chances with goal 3? They seem in-congruent.

-Simon

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
lol, 1 would not necessarily be achieved w/ 3. Making a roster doesn't necessarily get me to the $480k/yr minimum salary. I need to stay on a roster for the whole year to get that ;)

Much like MJ though, I'd like to be a millionaire BEFORE going after my "dreams" that way I pursue being an MLB baseball player w/o having to worry about the 1/1,000,000+ odds in accordance with "how am I gonna put food on the table?"

As for #2 and #3 they are actually very congruent... as a pitcher I need to have endurance and super-strong legs so what better way to get that then to become a world-class marathon runner too?

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
It sure isn't, but atleast I'm on the good side of 30 ;)

BTW how are you doing with your Fastlane goals? If only I would've found this place when I was 23 I'd be in a different boat. Then again, I was 24 when I started posting here and didn't really take full advantage of all the Fastlane had to offer until recently.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Man I'm going to take your advice on.

Just turned 23. As you can see just joined the forum and have just read the book.

Will be getting into selling on the internet. Not sure what to sell yet. But will keep your warning in mind.

Cheers

-Simon

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
If you want to sell products on the internet talk to biophase and start doing your research(ie read EVERYTHING he posts about eCommerce).

If you're looking to do drop-shipping, a good place to start is WorldWideBrands(WWB). They have a directory of suppliers that offer drop-shipping services. The founder, Chris Malta has a great mentoring program to help get you started.

While it's more "fastlane" to just go direct to the manufacturers, for a first-timer you probably want to learn the biz and how to negotiate first so WWB is a great resource.

If you're looking to sell info, read up on jonleehacker's posts.

There's several others that specialize in both, but those two were the first I could think of for those respective fields ;)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Man you better be quick with that million then. Being 28, time isn't exactly on your side.

Getting a late start is better than getting no start at all. I know plenty of people in their 40's and 50's that are in excellent shape and still enjoying life to the fullest. Respect your elder's boy! LOL

It's great starting at your age though. I wish I did. But you better stick to it and not give up. Don't be an action faker.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Getting a late start is better than getting no start at all. I know plenty of people in their 40's and 50's that are in excellent shape and still enjoying life to the fullest. Respect your elder's boy! LOL

It's great starting at your age though. I wish I did. But you better stick to it and not give up. Don't be an action faker.

Cheers.

Will keep your words in mind :coolgleamA:.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
If you want to sell products on the internet talk to biophase and start doing your research(ie read EVERYTHING he posts about eCommerce).

If you're looking to do drop-shipping, a good place to start is WorldWideBrands(WWB). They have a directory of suppliers that offer drop-shipping services. The founder, Chris Malta has a great mentoring program to help get you started.

While it's more "fastlane" to just go direct to the manufacturers, for a first-timer you probably want to learn the biz and how to negotiate first so WWB is a great resource.

If you're looking to sell info, read up on jonleehacker's posts.

There's several others that specialize in both, but those two were the first I could think of for those respective fields ;)

Cheers for the info.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.