The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PayPal cancels account for password issues

PPrince

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 23, 2021
The Bahamas
I am puzzled...

I had saved my password for my new PayPal business account with McAfee True Key. I was planning on connecting it to my Upwork account. The auto password sign-in feature mysteriously stopped working 3 nights ago. I attempted to sign in manually, but got locked out in the process. I received an automatic referral to the PayPal assistance area. I had to connected with an agent via telephone for help, as I had no other way to contact PayPal (I couldn't log in to an account). The agent informed me that the best she could do was close the account and have me create another account, using the same personal information.

I don't have to expand on the inconvenience of this experience, but I am concerned about the potential implications of creating another PayPal account and associating it with my Upwork account... and trusting PayPal with the processing of my funds. Furthermore, I don't need any issues with funds access.

Has anyone on this forum experienced anything like this with PayPal?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I am puzzled...

I had saved my password for my new PayPal business account with McAfee True Key. I was planning on connecting it to my Upwork account. The auto password sign-in feature mysteriously stopped working 3 nights ago. I attempted to sign in manually, but got locked out in the process. I received an automatic referral to the PayPal assistance area. I had to connected with an agent via telephone for help, as I had no other way to contact PayPal (I couldn't log in to an account). The agent informed me that the best she could do was close the account and have me create another account, using the same personal information.

I don't have to expand on the inconvenience of this experience, but I am concerned about the potential implications of creating another PayPal account and associating it with my Upwork account... and trusting PayPal with the processing of my funds. Furthermore, I don't need any issues with funds access.

Strangely, I had a password disruption this morning. But I was able to reset my PayPal password. That said, I send money from Upwork directly to my bank account. NEVER to PayPal. I don't send anything to PayPal that I don't absolutely have to send there. They will lock your account for random bs reasons, and they will take your money.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
PayPal can be absolute *&%$@*s when they feel like it! They froze my account with 400GBP in it a couple of years ago. Said there was an issue with my ID. I sent them everything they asked for and racked up a phone bill of nearly 100GBP trying to speak to them. They eventually released the cash (took nearly 9 months). It's not a massive sum of money but was enough to make me very very wary of using it as a primary form of receiving cash from anyone since then.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I can add to the horror stories. I have frequently been locked out of my PayPal account. Recently it has been happening almost every time I try to log in.

I use my well known password, and when their robot says it is wrong, I have to request a verification code via text because they don't immediately provide a code via email. Great - except that they send a code that is rejected. Then we progress??? to verification by answering my security questions, but they tell me I give wrong answers.

As if I don't know where I was born, what school I first attended, or my father's middle name!!

Instructions on how to handle the issue always include clicking on something that doesn't exist.

If anyone knows how to use Payoneer for frequent small (ish) sales transactions I would like to know how.

Walter

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm dealing with PayPal's bullshit again right now today.

I sent a client an invoice yesterday. He paid it. It's the second invoice he's paid with me. For some reason his bank flags the transaction. Instantly, PayPal opens a dispute and puts a hold on my account.

Being the smart cookie I am, I'd already withdrawn the money. So now PayPal shows a negative balance and is threatening to turn the balance over to collections if I don't pay up.

Meanwhile, the client asked for a new invoice so he can pay again...

PayPal is shit.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
Threads like these make me happy we won't have to deal with financial middleman anymore in 5-10 years.

My bank account got frozen for a bullshit reason last year and they didn't even let me know it. They just gave me a vague error code popup with no explanation anytime I tried to do something. Experienced being financially locked out for the first time in my life. When I called the bank I had to wait for at least 30 mins until it finally got fixed.

Don't dismiss crypto boys. It's just a matter of time.

PPrince

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 23, 2021
The Bahamas
I can add to the horror stories. I have frequently been locked out of my PayPal account. Recently it has been happening almost every time I try to log in.

I use my well known password, and when their robot says it is wrong, I have to request a verification code via text because they don't immediately provide a code via email. Great - except that they send a code that is rejected. Then we progress??? to verification by answering my security questions, but they tell me I give wrong answers.

As if I don't know where I was born, what school I first attended, or my father's middle name!!

Instructions on how to handle the issue always include clicking on something that doesn't exist.

If anyone knows how to use Payoneer for frequent small (ish) sales transactions I would like to know how.

Walter
I would also like to know how to use Payoneer for small payments as well. Thank you.

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
Do NOT use Paypal for business purposes.
They will screw you over hard.
The customer is always right, and the business is always wrong.
I've been on both sides, and I can say that as a customer, I can dispute anytime and will get away with it 10/10.

My horror story is very small ($100) but I've heard people losing thousands.
If they limit your account and tell you "Wait for 180 days before you can withdrawal" kiss the money goodbye.
Basically after 180 days, they take your money away to "pay for liabilities".

If you are a business, I recommend Stripe instead. Deal business on a platform that cares about the business.
Paypal is anti-business. Seller beware.

EDIT:
I've used Paypal since 2007; back when GreenDotMoneyPak were a thing.
As of now, I only use Paypal as additional protection for online purchases (since customer is always right).

Last edited:

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I stopped using paypal recently. Constantly having payments frozen, to me from tenants and from me to contractors. Also, they decided to raise fees as I found out with an unwelcome surprise.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Wow... not even 1 day and PayPal has added a $15 fee on top of the amount they are trying to collect from me! What the F*ck?! These assholes!! I didn't do anything wrong. I received money in a legitimate transaction that the client STILL wants to proceed with. I am eligible for SELLER PROTECTION. I transferred money to my bank account in accordance with PAYPAL'S policies. I responded to the dispute immediately...

FUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK YOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh and...

Even when I try to move money into PayPal to fix this shit so I can close my account once and for all... Their own piece of shit software once again doesn't work.

Transfers won't work.PNG

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My bad, I guess I wasn't eligible for seller protection because I haven't delivered the service... BECAUSE WE ARE STILL WORKING TOGETHER! ARGUGUGLHLGHALKJD... In other words, you have seller protection until you don't.

So the client's payment fails, PayPal automatically opens a dispute, and I get stiffed with a $15 bill. FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK YOUOOOUOUOIUOJLKADDF;LJASD;LFJL;ASDFJ

This is officially the worst company on the planet and I am done. Hope it was worth the loss off all the fees that come through my account every year, dating back to like 2004... F*ck you.

Case Details.PNG

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I returned the money back into PayPal and paid the $15 fee. My account has a 0 balance. But...

Cant Close PayPal.png]

Here's why...

Because I have open subscriptions and/or recurring payments set up. I have to go in and cancel all of those myself, one at a time. PayPal and their multi-billion-dollar AI can't cancel my recurring payments for me automatically when I close my account.

Recurring Payments.PNG

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK

While I understand their policies and reasoning, I don’t agree with them.
Had £7k frozen that I got 180 days later from them.

Sometimes when I’m angry I’m blabbering that I’m starting my own payment processor :rofl::rofl:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I don’t know about you guys, but I held even $30K in a PayPal account for months without taking it out, and never had a problem.

I regularly hold $10K+ in PayPal.

I have heard horror stories, but never had one happen to me. I’ve got invoices and everything well organized based on the source of the payment.

Having said that, nowadays I mostly use Stripe because lower fees. PayPal is used for very few types of transactions and only on one company. The rest all use Stripe.

In your case, if you just use PayPal to receive money from Upwork, they charge you NO FEES, and you should not have any problems. If you start selling sketchy products through PayPal (supplements, etc.) , then start worrying!
This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

I’ve never been robbed so I just carry 30k in cash on me all the time. I just leave it on the front seat of my car with the door unlocked.

I’ve heard of people getting robbed. This whole thread is full of people with their stories of being robbed.

But it hasn’t happened to me so I just leave all my money in there.

I’d seriously be very careful about leaving money in PayPal, you think it won’t happen to you, but as everyone in this thread has proven, it will.

I’ll add mine to the list. I had $10k frozen for months in my account when I first started my business. If I didn’t have cash saved from my job that I could use for cashflow it would have got me into a massive hole, destroyed my business before it even started and got me in a lot of trouble.

It happens all the time to people when they start out.

Imagine running a dropshipping store, or even just any business, spending money on ads, getting sales, then having all the cash from the sales frozen and not being able to buy the products for your customers or to keep your ads turned on and pay your ad bills, and the most insane part, it won’t even let you refund your customers??? Literally the death of your business before it even starts.

Last edited:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
It happens all the time to people when they start out.
See that’s the problem. It doesn’t happen to new comers only.

Let’s give him a proper example.

If you have $10K just sitting there in your Paypal, and someone pays for your service/ product and the transaction is flagged, your whole balance will be frozen.

Is that fair? Why would one risk himself like this?

When I used paypal I hit that withdraw button faster than you could say paypal.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When I used paypal I hit that withdraw button faster than you could say paypal.
There’s a thread from a few years ago where someone (@biophase?) advised withdrawing from PayPal *and* moving your money from the account it’s withdrawn into. The thinking being that PayPal can pull back the money from that account.

I withdraw funds from my PayPal account when it hits €1k, and then move it to another account.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
There’s a thread from a few years ago where someone (@biophase?) advised withdrawing from PayPal *and* moving your money from the account it’s withdrawn into. The thinking being that PayPal can pull back the money from that account.

I withdraw funds from my PayPal account when it hits €1k, and then move it to another account.
Yes, I was doing exactly that. Withdrawing into a savings account too just to be extra sure then moving funds to another :)).

And when I pulled up my statements I saw an income of over half a million when I only made £30k:rofl::rofl:(because of the transfers)

Not using Paypal as much nowadays, only for purchases sometimes.

PPrince

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 23, 2021
The Bahamas
I am puzzled...

Wow... thank you all for the cautionary stories! I got screwed before I could even get anything off the ground! My private suspicions were all justified! Besides Stripe, are there any other reputable processing platforms?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I would like to see a thread with alternatives to PayPal, suitable for occasional sales of eBooks to buyers that in the majority of cases only make a one-off purchase until they see that I have published a new book.

Walter

P.S. Congratulations to LexDeville, but beware PP's access to your bank details.

PPrince

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 23, 2021
The Bahamas
I would like to see a thread with alternatives to PayPal, suitable for occasional sales of eBooks to buyers that in the majority of cases only make a one-off purchase until they see that I have published a new book.

Walter

P.S. Congratulations to LexDeville, but beware PP's access to your bank details.
I second that PayPal alternatives thread proposal :)

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I had issues, too, as soon as I transferred my private paypal account into a business account. Immediately stoped to use it for receptions.
For me Its good as a customer, but not for the business side.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Paypal is the Blockbuster of online payments.
They never improve anything and the system just looks (and performs) more and more outdated.

In the years I have used them the biggest change they have made is their menu lol.

In the next few years, they will get smoked.
Till then it seems like they are just going to coast and hope they can stay in the game a little longer.

The best way to deal with them is only to send payments to them that you can't accept in any other way.
And once you get a payment take it out of Paypal asap.

I never keep more than 3-5k in Paypal at any one time.
Once its over a certain amount it always gets transferred to my main bank account.

What Paypal should have done years ago is made their own crypto coin and allowed people to swap USD into that coin within its system. They could have absolutely crushed it but I think that ship has now sailed.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I’m more inclined towards crypto. It is not as mainstream as media makes it sound.

You cannot ask 75 yo John to pay you in dogecoin. :rofl:

Stripe frozen my money several times too, again waiting for 180 days.

If you think it comes down to the product then I beg to differ.
Established account in good standing for a full year, suspended out of the blue with no explanation.

They’re great for starting out, what Stripe and Paypal has going for them is the quick approval process.

If you have an established business, talk to your bank. Most of them have commerce solutions. The process is longer( could take months) but that’s because they go through all the things beforehand so you don’t end up with your account “ frozen “.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have done a lot of research and it appears to me that Square is the best option to replace PayPal. I have not yet tried them, but would appreciate any comments.

Walter

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I have done a lot of research and it appears to me that Square is the best option to replace PayPal. I have not yet tried them, but would appreciate any comments.

Walter
Hi Walter,

Square is similar to Braintree( paypal), and Stripe.

I never had a a good relationship with any merchants other than the ecommerce solutions from my banks.

These type of “sign up get paid now” type of business thrive on the fact that their initial approval process is extremely quick.

The manual review comes later and sometimes months later, when you wake up with your funds frozen. You always get the funds but it’s like shooting your own leg if you know this from the start and still go with them.

It might sound gloomy but this has been my experience so far.

Imagine if anybody looking to buy a house would be accepted for a mortgage and then the bank comes back 3 months later and says :

“Actually, we cannot deal with you cause you’re a risk for us. Bye bye.”

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I never had a a good relationship with any merchants other than the ecommerce solutions from my banks.
Thank you for this. I have not engaged in ecommerce other than for my book sales, but I will approach my bank to see what they offer.

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Walter
I continued with my due diligence before taking the big leap, and found these reviews on Top 1,780 Square Reviews

I only had to read a few to discover that Square appear to be even worse than PayPal.

Walter

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Truth be told I think their solutions are rather good for brick and mortar stores.

No reason to withhold funds either when the customer used his actual card + pin to pay.

Unfortunately not the same can be said about the online solutions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.