The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My FTE is here! ...Do I take the money and run?

Share your FTE moment...

robodale

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Dec 1, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
I wondered if this day would come, some event that signals "F__K THIS!".

I'm a full-time software developer for a local software company. Great people and environment, but I've done the Mon-Fri scripted life for too many years. A recent company restructuring as left me with two options:

(Option 1) I've been offered a two month severance at my current salary. I've got reserves from my little side hustles and savings to keep me going after that for a while, plus my wife works full time. Of course, she's not too keen on my leaving a job with no sound footing. I'd rather not dip into savings if I can help it.

(Option 2) I keep working full time, roll with the punches into the new department, and continue slowly building my "side hustles" out.

One of my side projects/hustles is a niche website I started from scratch, and have continually created content for over the last few years. It gets over 600k unique visitors per year. I've surveyed who the users are and what they are interested in. As a result, I have a partially written ebook they are asking for, an 8000+ user email list of voluntary signups from the site (wanting the ebook). I've just got Adsense on the site now, and get about $500-1000 USD/month in revenue. Expenses are essentially nothing. I've realized I can make ALOT more with product suggestions on Amazon and ditch Adsense. The site is a domain authority, and I can usually get 1st page Google ranking very easily if I want to create more content articles.

I'd like to think that 2 months of solid work on the site could get me to a place where I don't need that full-time job. I could finish that ebook the people want, skew value at every point along the way, and deliver whatever those site visitors want.

I'd like to get your opinions. On one side, the "security" of the full-time gig pays the bills. On the other side, that niche site has potential...and the traffic especially begins to pickup as it skyrockets during the spring and summer.

Do I cut the cord completely with the full-time software dev job, take the 2-month salary and grind during those 8-9 weeks to make something of the niche site as the wave of traffic approaches?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD

I'm a full-time software developer for a local software company. Great people and environment, but I've done the Mon-Fri scripted life for too many years. A recent company restructuring as left me with two options:

(Option 1) I've been offered a two month severance at my current salary. I've got reserves from my little side hustles and savings to keep me going after that for a while, plus my wife works full time. Of course, she's not too keen on my leaving a job with no sound footing. I'd rather not dip into savings if I can help it.

(Option 2) I keep working full time, roll with the punches into the new department, and continue slowly building my "side hustles" out.

One of my side projects/hustles is a niche website I started from scratch, and have continually created content for over the last few years. It gets over 600k unique visitors per year. I've surveyed who the users are and what they are interested in. As a result, I have a partially written ebook they are asking for, an 8000+ user email list of voluntary signups from the site (wanting the ebook). I've just got Adsense on the site now, and get about $500-1000 USD/month in revenue. Expenses are essentially nothing. I've realized I can make ALOT more with product suggestions on Amazon and ditch Adsense. The site is a domain authority, and I can usually get 1st page Google ranking very easily if I want to create more content articles.

I'd like to think that 2 months of solid work on the site could get me to a place where I don't need that full-time job. I could finish that ebook the people want, skew value at every point along the way, and deliver whatever those site visitors want.

I'd like to get your opinions. On one side, the "security" of the full-time gig pays the bills. On the other side, that niche site has potential...and the traffic especially begins to pickup as it skyrockets during the spring and summer.

Do I cut the cord completely with the full-time software dev job, take the 2-month salary and grind during those 8-9 weeks to make something of the niche site as the wave of traffic approaches?

It sounds like your wife hasn't bought it yet. I'm in a similar situation and I have worked something out with my wife. We have a timeline and goal to meet before taking that step.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan

I feel like this is one of those posts where you know the answer but you're looking for validation. No one can recommend that you quit your job. Only you can weigh those variables carefully and decide. You must ultimately be the person you blame for all of your actions.

You also happen to be on a forum filled with entrepreneurs, just sayin'.

RaffUnscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Feb 21, 2018
Providence, RI

Negotiate for more severance or take the new position and create an exit strategy. Their agenda doesn't need to be yours.

robodale

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Dec 1, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Just a note here...
GOLD! - Sorry, But the Forum Can't Make Your Life Decisions For You!!
With that said:
A) Welcome to the forum!
And
B) You know what I'd do in your situation, but that's just me!
and
C) The wifey needs to get on board!
Egads! I cringe when reading other's posts here that could have been answered instead by just reading the GOLD/Notable posts. ...and then I go and do the same myself! :clench: Anyway, thanks to you all who responded.

My wife and I talked and she's on board-ish. She agreed that if viability of the company itself is in question, hitting the eject button now with a 2-month cushion to land on my feet is better than being walked out in 6 months with nothing but a boot to the rear if things go down the toilet fast. There's software jobs-a-plenty, so no worries about finding something else. Today I'm probing for any indication things are actually worse than they seem at the day-job. If it's bad...I'm out! If things are stable...I can clench my cheeks and hang on in the near term.

Last edited:

Jonathan1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jun 23, 2016
If I were in your situation, I would do everything possible to stop trading time for a salary. So cutting back expenses, building the side hustle etc. Then leave asap since free time is where one is most likely to build wealth and you have something with potential going already.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
As a past programmer, I would do it in a heart beat.

You are basically getting paid for two months to work on your side gig. I doubt very seriously that in 2 months, you are going to replace your full time job with an adsense site or an ebook, but that's not really the point.

Assuming you're programming in a language that is not outdated, you could easily find another job if you needed to, correct?

So, why not take a shot? Where else are you ever going to get 60 days of pay to work on your side hustle?

Best case your site takes off. Worst case if you have to get another job, you could.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.