The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My (Continuing) Journey Towards Becoming a Full-Time Author

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Like most people in the self-publishing area of this forum, I give a huge thanks to HFR for his awesome thread. Very inspiring! I'm going to try hard to keep this thread updated as I think I've turned a corner and had a revelation that I've known was coming for a long time.

Let me start off by saying that I got into self-publishing first because I wanted to make money. I was involved in internet marketing and this was just another "system" to make some cash. But...at the same time, I always thought of myself as very creative, pretty good with the written word, and I absolutely loved creating stories for my kids when they were young. So when I found Kindle and figured out that I could mix the two to make money and do what I like/love, I was sold.

My first book was a collection of short stories for kids. Only four stories, but one was a really good one (still my overall favorite). I'm pretty good with graphics, so I whipped up a cover and published it. I made it free on KDP and had over 5000 downloads. After that, it hit #1 in the category! I was amazed. Last year about this time (the holiday season), I was selling about 10-20 per day and I had royalty checks of $1200, $1800, and $1500 for a few months. Those do include other books, but not nearly selling as well as my first. To date I've made $8-9K just from that one book.

Of course I went on to publish volumes two and three, then a collection. Those never did as well as the first one, though. I tried other formats, like picture books, which did ok, but not great. I published one fantasy novel (that got fair to bad reviews), a sci-fi novella (fair reviews at best), and some horror collections. The horror books (short story collections) got pretty good reviews, and I love the genre, so I'm happy those did as well as they did.

As of today, sales have slumped considerably, but I haven't put out any new books for over six months. Plus, with me jumping around from genre to genre, I never really focused my writing. Maybe I was looking for what clicked for me, or at least for what sold. I slipped back into the IM arena for a while, and ended up spending hundreds of dollars and getting essentially nothing back from it. It's a dangerous downward spiral called "shiny object syndrome". Beware.

So now, after ten or even fifteen years of trying to "make it" in the IM world, with thousands of dollars spent on systems, programs, PDFs, videos, and anything else that might make me a quick buck, I've pretty much decided that this entire experiment was mostly a waste of my time and definitely my money. Now, to be fair, I've learned a lot while doing IM and as you know a lot of that translates over to Kindle/self-publishing and how we can market our books, so I'm not disappointed or unappreciative of everything I've done.

With a new year comes new beginnings (not resolutions; I hate those) and so I sat down and looked at where I was and where I wanted to be. I could a) waste more of my time, energy, and money buying new products to help me make money online, or b) FOCUS on ONE THING, get good at it, put my heart and soul into it and let the money flow if it was meant to be.

I chose B.

I'm taking a long break from IM. Unsubscribing from countless email lists. I promised myself not to spend even a penny on anything that is not directly related to my self-publishing career. I figured if I don't make a choice and conscious effort to make a positive change, then things will keep slugging along as they have been and I'll wonder where the thousands of dollars had gone a few years from now.

I'm going to focus on writing. It's what I want to do. I want to write, publish, evaluate, learn, get better, and hopefully make a few bucks along the way.

I've got lots of ideas that I've written down over the past coupe of years, some of them complete outlines of a novel! It's time to make time to do what I really want to do. So that's what I'm doing. Hopefully people will like what I publish, and want to buy more if it. I know a lot of times it takes time and several (if not many) books before you start seeing real results. All I have to do is look back at the last ten years and ask myself "ten years from now do I want to be where I am now? disappointed that I never took a chance at my dream? or do I want to finally do what I know I want to do?"

I hope that I can update this thread a year from now and tell you how wonderful my decision to write was. And how much better my life is. I'm certainly going to give it my best shot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I hope that I can update this thread a year from now and tell you how wonderful my decision to write was. And how much better my life is. I'm certainly going to give it my best shot.
Please don't make us wait all that time for your first update. Welcome to the club and congrats on tearing your eyes away from those shiny objects. I've been in the same shoes in both IM and network marketing. Just decided for the first time in three non-productive years not to pay my annual dues in one program, washing close to $100k in investment (in one way or another) in that program down the drain. Definition of insanity made me do it.

Good luck with everything!

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Best of luck and yes, please don't wait a year to update!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I hope that I can update this thread a year from now and tell you how wonderful my decision to write was.

Here's to an amazing 2014! And I'll chime with the others and say please keep us posted as you move forward. Since you have experience in multiple genres, it will be interesting to see which route you go. Can't wait to hear about your success!

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
(sigh) It's been 4 months and no update, so here we go...refocused and ready for action.

The Goal: Short-Term - To replace my full-time job income with books. Long-Term - to earn what I do now in a year as monthly income.

My Background: I've been drifting around the IT world for over 20 years. I've not really found my niche yet, probably because it is in writing and publishing. I feel that I have a very good grasp at English and grammar, I love creating, I don't mind editing and improving, so trying to write full-time seems very natural for me.

My Publishing History: I've published close to 20 books. I only wrote one completely, and parts of others. Outsourcing for me was a great way to get my foot in the door. I learned a lot about formatting (for Kindle, CreateSpace, and other formats), editing, cover creation, etc. But my true passion has always been to bring my own stories to life.

My Publishing Income: I won't go into great detail, but just know that I've had my ups and downs, and currently I'm in the downs. Last year during the Xmas season (2012-2013) I had months of $1500, $1800, and $1200, which was my best ever. Since then it's dwindled down and now I'm only bringing in about $300 per month, and that's through my books (electronic and paperback) and audio.

I'm going to follow this up with a few more posts that I think will help others out who are looking to get into self-publishing. One will be about the tools I use, another about the process, and then one about some general thoughts about how I plan to pursue this goal.

I used to spend (i.e. waste) a lot of time on other forums, but I've cleansed myself of the dirt now and I'm focusing on just a couple of main things: writing, and updating this thread. Focus, focus, focus!

Wish me luck!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I'm going to follow this up with a few more posts that I think will help others out who are looking to get into self-publishing.

Here's wishing you lots of success! And it will be very interesting to see your advice. This whole self-pubbing biz can have such a huge learning curve, and it's so helpful that we can share our lessons learned.

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
My Tools

I think the right tools make ALL the difference. For a long time, actually most of my current books, I've just used Word. For what I did - short stories - it was OK, but not the best. Once you get into longer books (even as short as novellas, and certainly anything longer) it becomes a real pain to organize.

Scrivener

Recently there was a huge sale on Scrivener where you could get it for only $20. I'm not sure if it's still available or not, but I grabbed it, and I can tell you that it is worth even the regular price. I think I've seen 20% discounts out there even now, so just search. There is a small learning curve, but there are so many tutorials and sites out there that can help you get started, so it's not too difficult to get up to speed.

Some Scrivener tools:
Webinar by Joanna Penn: http://learnscrivenerfast.com/webinar-replay/ (I didn't buy the course, but thought the webinar itself is REALLY good)
Templates: http://justinswapp.com/free-scrivener-templates/ - they have templates for short stories, hero's journey, mystery novel, etc.
I'll add more as I come across them.

A good keyboard. I use a Logitech K350 comfort keyboard. Much better than the laptop keyboard and easier on my wrists.

Writing Music

I've found that a nice background music or sounds go a LONG way into helping me concentrate. Here are some of my favorites, but you can very easily just to a search on YouTube for "music for writing" or "music to write to" and you'll find lots of choices.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=music+to+write+by
http://coffitivity.com/ (sounds like a coffee shop)

I'll update this as I find more, but this is a good start.

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
My Process

I've found that outlining my story ahead of time has made a huge difference in what I can accomplish. That being said, there are many ways to outline a story and a lot of it depends on the type of story you're writing. Of course non-fiction and fiction are treated differently, and even different fiction genres can be outlined differently. In the end, do what works for YOU.

Mindmap

Sometimes (not all the time) I find it helpful to map it out with a mindmap. Here's a decent free one: https://coggle.it/ There are plenty of options - paid and free - just search around.

7-Point Story Structure

There are lots of ways to structure a story. The Hero's Journey is the most popular one, and I've seen other structures that are similar to THJ and this 7-point structure, so if you find a better one, then use it. But for me, this one seems to work, so I'm sticking with it.

Here is the short article explaining it: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2012/10/07/writing-excuses-7-41-seven-point-story-structure/

In there is a link to the Dan Wells lecture on YouTube. Great lecture, and fairly short. Watch it.
Here's a link to Dan's site that has the full video as well as a PowerPoint you can download for free: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=405

The seven steps are:
  • The HOOK
  • Plot Turn 1
  • Pinch 1
  • Midpoint
  • Plot Turn 2
  • Pinch 2
  • Resolution
If I'm writing a series, I'll use this structure for however many books I plan on writing. For a trilogy, it might be this: Book 1 = Hook, Plot Turn 1, and Pinch 1; Book 2 = Midpoint, Plot Turn 2; Book 3 = Pinch 2, Resolution.

For each book, I write out 3-4 sentences (sometimes more) for each step. Then I can develop each of those steps into chapters and scenes. I usually have a basic idea of how long my book will be, and so I know that the Hook should be (for example) 10K words. This gives me a starting point. It may only end up being 6K and that's OK, but at least I have a goal and a framework. I use the index card option in Scrivener to help me organize.

More Resources for Structure

Your story in 9 sentences: http://storyfix.com/hunger-games-9-the-entire-story-in-nine-sentences
Good to great: http://storyfix.com/good-to-great-nail-a-better-concept-to-empower-your-story
5-Step novel plotting: http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-i-plot-novel-in-5-steps.html

That should be plenty to get you started.

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
My Plan

After reading GiroudJD's thread, I think that I'll do a mix of writing and outsourcing now. Like I've mentioned, most everything that I've put out now has been outsourced. I had just over four figures income for a while, but now I'm down significantly, and it's all due to me not publishing anything. I still sell books, but quite a bit less than before.

I've got quite a few different series planned. I'll give a brief overview here:

Kids' Books (my main niche) - Author 1

Non-Fiction - 3 series planned (one with 12 books, two with 9 books each)
Fiction - one series planned (open ended on number of books total, but at least 3)

Kids' Books - Author 2

Fiction - one series of 7 books planned

Adult books

I've got about 15 books outlined already, mostly fiction but some non-fiction, that I hope to write eventually.

As you can see, I do a lot of planning and outlining but up to now I've taken little action. After reading TMF that is all about to change. Part of sticking to my plan is reading this forum and keeping on my thread here.

Most likely my next step will be to expand upon my kids' books under my main pen name. That author has seen the most success and still sells books daily, so I think I need to open those buyers to what else she has to offer.

I may end up outsourcing the non-fiction stuff as it should not take someone very long at all to do and will not cost me much at all. The fiction series I plan on writing myself.

I may also do what GiroudJD has done and work on my publishing website more than individual author sites. I do have a few author sites up, but I don't keep up with them like I should. It would be easier for me to have one main site for all of my pen names where I can offer sample stories, free stuff, and build my list there in one place. Trying to do too many things at once will kill my productivity, so keeping it all in one site will help me accomplish more.

seamles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 30, 2014
Great to see your progress! I am hoping to join the self-publishing train and am working on some medical ebooks, a short story, and a couple novels.

Having trouble finding good writers to outsource and work with.

Also having trouble figuring out the publishing part but I'm still getting through all these amazing posts and advice on this site. It's been a goldmine. I'm so excited!

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
Good luck! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :D
Thanks for posting those resources, too! I'm still very new to this, and I have no doubt they'll come in useful.

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Good luck! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :D
Thanks for posting those resources, too! I'm still very new to this, and I have no doubt they'll come in useful.

Most of the resources I've mentioned here are really, really good for people that want to write themselves, and less for outsourcing, but I'm sure you could find value in some of the stuff I've posted for that as well. I think it's extremely valuable to write even if you are outsourcing everything as it gives you a better idea of the process and things to look for in the stories and books that you pay for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.