Hi guys. My name is Matias Andres, and I am a 38-year-old Chilean Swede living in Cambodia.
Last month, I accepted a part-time job at a local school because I needed the money to purchase a ticket to the US to meet my wife. I already have a demanding full-time job, and I still opted for an additional four hours to my workload, basically putting me to work between 8 AM to 10 PM, waking up even earlier to walk the dogs and get some reading in before work.
I took the job because I just couldn't see any other way of "easily" making the money I needed to buy the flight ticket and add to my savings to give something fun for my wife´s 30th birthday. Needless to say, that month SUCKED because I was not able to do anything else besides working and recovering after my long days. I enjoy long runs and exercise, but I couldn't do any of it because I was so wrecked at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I also went back to smoking and drinking, just to take the edge off my situation.
Funny enough, while working at the school, I met this 13-year-old who asked me many questions after he found out that I was a business owner. I own a retail shop selling combat sports equipment, and I am also the co-founder of a clothing brand, but neither makes enough money for me to quit my day job as a combat sports writer.
Yes, besides the above-mentioned, I also try to juggle these two businesses with whatever little time I have left, which is usually none. I am constantly exhausted and drained, and I very rarely have time to recover and/or spend time doing things that I enjoy, and when I do, I am constantly in my head feeling bad that I am not making money.
I live pretty comfortably, and I work with what used to be my passions (combat sports + writing), but I am just not happy thinking that this is it. I want to write fiction, but it's challenging to have the time or energy after long days, and I again get the feeling that it would be better if I wrote something that guaranteed me money instead of writing stories. Maybe I am just making up excuses.
Well. This kid asked me if I had read a couple of books. One was Rich Dad, Poor Dad, which I read and enjoyed quite a lot. The other was Millionaire Fastlane , which I had not heard about. The librarian overheard us and ordered a copy for me, and I started reading it the same day. Wow, what an experience.
I rarely have Aha! moments, but this book spoke to me. Especially since I've been grinding for so many years and trying to be a "good guy" by living frugally and saving as much as possible. Nobody that I know knows much about business or finance, so I've invested a year or two just trying to learn the basics, reading books like The Psychology of Money, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi. Making budgets, looking into investments, and living even more frugally.
Even though I enjoyed them all, I still felt lost and demotivated. I already feel pretty old, I don't have a lot of savings, and after some stress-related health issues, my savings took a big hit.
I've reached a point where I want to start a new chapter in my life, where I bring value to the world, to my family, to my wife, and to myself. Even though I am at the top of my industry, and it's quite easy money, I feel like I am wasting my time and not providing any real value to anyone. The value point is important, since I constantly see "businesses" everywhere, but I realize now that it's all about "easy money" or something that I enjoy, and not considering the value to others and the market. It's just mental masturbation.
I am looking to learn. I am looking to listen. I am looking to try and fail, and I am looking to succeed in the long term by doing, not just thinking. I want to be surrounded by people who are like-minded, and are also looking to provide value.
Thank you for listening to my TED talk
Last month, I accepted a part-time job at a local school because I needed the money to purchase a ticket to the US to meet my wife. I already have a demanding full-time job, and I still opted for an additional four hours to my workload, basically putting me to work between 8 AM to 10 PM, waking up even earlier to walk the dogs and get some reading in before work.
I took the job because I just couldn't see any other way of "easily" making the money I needed to buy the flight ticket and add to my savings to give something fun for my wife´s 30th birthday. Needless to say, that month SUCKED because I was not able to do anything else besides working and recovering after my long days. I enjoy long runs and exercise, but I couldn't do any of it because I was so wrecked at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I also went back to smoking and drinking, just to take the edge off my situation.
Funny enough, while working at the school, I met this 13-year-old who asked me many questions after he found out that I was a business owner. I own a retail shop selling combat sports equipment, and I am also the co-founder of a clothing brand, but neither makes enough money for me to quit my day job as a combat sports writer.
Yes, besides the above-mentioned, I also try to juggle these two businesses with whatever little time I have left, which is usually none. I am constantly exhausted and drained, and I very rarely have time to recover and/or spend time doing things that I enjoy, and when I do, I am constantly in my head feeling bad that I am not making money.
I live pretty comfortably, and I work with what used to be my passions (combat sports + writing), but I am just not happy thinking that this is it. I want to write fiction, but it's challenging to have the time or energy after long days, and I again get the feeling that it would be better if I wrote something that guaranteed me money instead of writing stories. Maybe I am just making up excuses.
Well. This kid asked me if I had read a couple of books. One was Rich Dad, Poor Dad, which I read and enjoyed quite a lot. The other was Millionaire Fastlane , which I had not heard about. The librarian overheard us and ordered a copy for me, and I started reading it the same day. Wow, what an experience.
I rarely have Aha! moments, but this book spoke to me. Especially since I've been grinding for so many years and trying to be a "good guy" by living frugally and saving as much as possible. Nobody that I know knows much about business or finance, so I've invested a year or two just trying to learn the basics, reading books like The Psychology of Money, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi. Making budgets, looking into investments, and living even more frugally.
Even though I enjoyed them all, I still felt lost and demotivated. I already feel pretty old, I don't have a lot of savings, and after some stress-related health issues, my savings took a big hit.
I've reached a point where I want to start a new chapter in my life, where I bring value to the world, to my family, to my wife, and to myself. Even though I am at the top of my industry, and it's quite easy money, I feel like I am wasting my time and not providing any real value to anyone. The value point is important, since I constantly see "businesses" everywhere, but I realize now that it's all about "easy money" or something that I enjoy, and not considering the value to others and the market. It's just mental masturbation.
I am looking to learn. I am looking to listen. I am looking to try and fail, and I am looking to succeed in the long term by doing, not just thinking. I want to be surrounded by people who are like-minded, and are also looking to provide value.
Thank you for listening to my TED talk
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
