The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Monetizing a sports blog?

Rodmunch1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 5, 2019
I have minimal experience with entrepreneurship. The most I've done is create a few youtube videos and written a few articles on a blog, and I got barely any views on them. However, those youtube videos and blog posts were on topics I wasn't passionate about which is why I gave up easily

However, sports is something I would say I have more passion for. I play them in my free time and I usually read at least one sports-related article per day. I've wanted to work for myself instead of as an employee, but I've always struggled with coming up with what to base my business on. I figured since sports is what I'm most passionate about, maybe I should try it.

From what I've gathered, making money from ads on youtube or blogging pays hardly anything. It seems successful entrepreneurs just use youtube/blogging to get traffic, but get most of their money from charging high rates on things like like one-on-one coaching or selling videos about their expertise. From what I've gathered about monetizing sports blogs, the only options for monetizing it seem to be from ads, affiliate marketing, and selling merchandise on my website.

Is it not a good idea to try to make money from this as there's too many other sports blogs I have to compete with? Anyone got other ideas as to how I could monetize this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

Deleted74925

I play sports in real life

Awesome! What type of sports? Indoor/outdoor? Use any sports products/nutrition content? Probably read blogs and fitness content. You probably have a lot of specialized knowledge about certain things that other people don't.

and I got barely any views on them.

All action is positive action. Failure can be a better teacher than success provided that one adapts and learns from it. What was the feedback? Did no one read /watch? If so, why not? What could be done to change that?

Focus on finding a need. What are people asking for? In the sports industry, what do people hate? What products/content are they not happy with? What videos do people want, rather than what you want? I know that this might sound harsh, but to be a successful entrepenuer, to sell to other people, one needs to think of what other people want rather than what just the self wants.

Not sure if you've read Unscripted , but MJ talks about the danger of mixing passion with a business. If you don't have the book in front of you, here a nice article that describes this phenomenon This Is Why Passion Ruins Your Career ✔.

Rodmunch1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 5, 2019
Awesome! What type of sports? Indoor/outdoor? Use any sports products/nutrition content? Probably read blogs and fitness content. You probably have a lot of specialized knowledge about certain things that other people don't.

I read about the NBA the most. I'd say I might have specialized knowledge about analytics and specific players that others don't. I don't read fitness content much. Despite being a sports fan and playing sports, I don't have a typical athletic physique as I'm not that muscular or tall

All action is positive action. Failure can be a better teacher than success provided that one adapts and learns from it. What was the feedback? Did no one read /watch? If so, why not? What could be done to change that?

I didn't get any feedback because hardly anyone read/watched it. From what I read about people who started out the same way, they eventually overcame it after producing YT videos or blog posts daily for around 6+ months. I gave up quickly because I didn't have the necessary passion on the subject unlike those other people who were successful

Focus on finding a need. What are people asking for? In the sports industry, what do people hate? What products/content are they not happy with? What videos do people want, rather than what you want? I know that this might sound harsh, but to be a successful entrepenuer, to sell to other people, one needs to think of what other people want rather than what just the self wants.

I'm not sure. I would need to do more research into that to find out

If you don't have the book in front of you, here a nice article that describes this phenomenon This Is Why Passion Ruins Your Career ✔.

Yes that article makes a good point. In particular about choosing a career based on financial benefits and learning skills. In that case, that means I'm better off just sticking to my engineering job then. I like math and programming more than I do writing, and already make a 6-figure income. I just thought it would be better to be my own boss, work my own hours, and be location-independent despite the likelihood that I'd sacrifice the financial benefits

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
I didn't get any feedback because hardly anyone read/watched it. From what I read about people who started out the same way, they eventually overcame it after producing YT videos or blog posts daily for around 6+ months. I gave up quickly because I didn't have the necessary passion on the subject unlike those other people who were successful

The secret is to do it without passion. What you are talking about is feeling emotions making you want to keep doing it. If you have never created a successful blog or business before, you have no reference experience and you will not feel it. Some people get pushed by desperation or other circumstances, but it sounds like you aren't. So if you decide to post it daily for 6 months, just make a commitment and do it.

In terms of having someone read, have you tried talking to people? Go to a meetup or any place with people, talk to someone new, chat and mention your blog. After a few hours, you'll find 1 person who will check it out. After a few dozen hours you will find a dozen people. If you ask them all for feedback, you will get a few pieces of feedback, which is what you are looking for.

At the very least, you can post the link here and ask people on this forum for feedback. (It may have to be in the "Marketplace" section so you aren't breaking rules on self-promotion; unsure what is the right way of doing it here.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.