The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it worth being Google AdWords certified?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 023 - Is it worth being Google AdWords certified? (< 2mins)

TRANSCRIPTION by @Drive2Riches

@lowtek asks, "Is it worth being Google certified?" (by that he means Google AdWords certified).

Short answer -- No. I'm not Google certified. People don't ask me whether I'm Google certified before they hire me. If a business insisted I was, then it's probably not a business I'd personally want to work with anyway if they think a piece of paper is what it takes.

If you're trying to get a job in an agency or client-side business to do their AdWords campaigns, I'm sure it will help, so just do it.

Just be aware that when you take the exams, you're going to take a part of your brain out, the part that's going to actually do the work and make it happen, and answer how Google wants it.

When I was an Oracle DBA and I got interviewed for Oracle DBA contracts -- database administrator -- sometimes I'd get asked if I was Oracle certified. My stock answer was always "I'm not. I thought I would spend time getting certified between contracts, when I was trying to get the next contract, and I never spent any time between contracts. I'm always getting hired too quick for me to spend the time to get certified."

No client has ever asked me if I'm Google certified but there's a little story, analogy that I've used a few times and that is if you want to learn how to race a car around a race track, would you learn from the people who built the car? From Ford mechanics for instance? Or would you want to learn from people who actually race a car around the track? So, you're choice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I've personally watched someone who had never even been inside of the Adwords UI take the test and pass. It's SUCH A JOKE, that you can literally search for the answers (via Google nonetheless) while taking the test, which is what I did, and get certified. Totally agree about the agency aspect, if you're looking for a job it'll help. Otherwise, it's trash.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Great job on the short videos - makes it a lot easier to sit down and watch the whole thing - I'm going to start applying that philosophy to what I do - Anchor app!!!!

From the quality of service aspect of what we do (google adwords/nlp), I agree whole heatedly that the experience we have helping others is much more valuable than a certificate on paper...

My original NLP training had me certified through them:

upload_2016-4-19_15-18-9.png

I let it lapse because my experience matters more than the paper...BUT I'm wondering - would it help get a few more clients if I listed this on my about page with the certification?

The truth is some people like seeing the fancy pieces of paper with the certifications on them...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great job on the short videos - makes it a lot easier to sit down and watch the whole thing - I'm going to start applying that philosophy to what I do - Anchor app!!!!
Thanks. Yeah, I'm settling into a routine of doing daily Vlogging, and then I'll go back and pull out specific little clips. The first habit I wanted to establish was a simple daily one.

The truth is some people like seeing the fancy pieces of paper with the certifications on them...
True.

I just find that businesses that insist on a certification for something as fast changing as Digital Marketing are putting their hand up to tell me they're going to be a PITA to deal with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.