The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Anyone Else Intermittent Fasting?

deckthehalls

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Dec 2, 2019
Have any of you experienced increased ability to focus while fasting?

100%

Actually, increased focus is one of the most common reported benefits of IF.

I've been doing OMAD for around 3 years now, and before that did the "bulletproof diet fast (16:8)."

I used to think it was the MCT oil/grassfed butter + caffeine combo that was giving me mental clarity... turns out that I still get the same clarify without any of that!

This, and the time I save by not having to prep breakfast and lunch are the main reasons why I stick to IF/OMAD. I think I look pretty decent too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
16/8 but I was naturally fasting in the morning because I was never hungry until noon since I was a kid. In fact my parents made me had breakfast and when I did I crashed with tiredness by 10 am.
No I only have to avoid eating after 10 pm and I am fine. I have to eat healthier though but even eating junk IF works wonders.

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin

IlseVdG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jul 28, 2019
Belgium
I used to eat all the time, 'just little things'. I used to get really nauseous when I didn't get to eat on time (hypoglycemia). And I certainly could never leave without breakfast. Now I've committed myself not to eat before 11 (well...when the will is weak, that becomes 10.00, but not sooner. That is the time when I get really hungry, 'cause I wake up at 4.00h., and work out in the morning. My mission now is to stick with the 11h!! ). Then, the second meal is in the evening, at around 18 or 19h, depending on my workday.

I can't really recommend this, because I think it's different for everyone (and I honestly don't think I would have been able to make this change earlier in life, I'd just come to this point where I was ready). But I would recommend to anyone just to try it for a few weeks, or even months, to see if it feels good in the long run.

For me, personally, it's been very beneficial : I have less problems with digestion, it grows willpower, concentration and it saves time. I've been doing this for a few months now, and I'm sticking to it. Maybe, in time, I will be able to do with just one meal per day. That would be so cool! Ah, thinking of the time that would save me...

I'm glad I bumped into this thread, it's inspiring!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ok folks. I'm doing it. Full assed.

On the advice of @BizyDad when he came to church with me and always knowing this thread was here, I'm diving back into this.

I have been a yo yo keto dieter for 3 years. It works when I can stick to it... But incredibly demotivating when I have a cheat meal because it takes a while to get back into ketosis. So I'm going to go IF only.

I am naturally not hungry until about noon every day. I think my Achilles heel is the after dinner snacking. I plan to leave the window open for one meal... No calories outside of the window.

Gaining full control over my diet is something I have struggled with for years and never fully achieved. I have managed to keep off about 15 pounds from my peak by watching what I eat. It is time to lose another 40 and keep it off.

Years have gone by and I am sick of it. I stood on the scale today. 215.2. Pretty typical for me. I'm 5'10" and carry it pretty well, but enough is enough.

I'm thinking I should be 175 so 40.2.

Weight loss isn't the true goal here though. The real goal is getting and keeping control of my diet in a way that gets results.

It is Monday. A perfect day to start. OMPD... Early dinner.

Last edited:

IlseVdG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jul 28, 2019
Belgium

On the advice of @BizyDad when he came to church with me and always knowing this thread was here, I'm diving back into this.

I have been a yo yo keto dieter for 3 years. It works when I can stick to it... But incredibly demotivating when I have a cheat meal because it takes a while to get back into ketosis. So I'm going to go IF only.

I am naturally not hungry until about noon every day. I think my Achilles heel is the after dinner snacking. I plan to leave the window open for one meal... No calories outside of the window.

Gaining full control over my diet is something I have struggled with for years and never fully achieved. I have managed to keep off about 15 pounds from my peak by watching what I eat. It is time to lose another 40 and keep it off.

Years have gone by and I am sick of it. I stood on the scale today. 215.2. Pretty typical for me. I'm 5'10" and carry it pretty well, but enough is enough.

Weight loss isn't the true goal here though. The real goal is getting and keeping control of my diet in a way that gets results.

:thumbsup: Keep us posted!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Wow buddy, that's awesome news. Made my morning. OMAD is pretty hardcore, harder than what I did for my 40 lb loss. Don't worry if you switch to two meals four hours apart or something like that. Just stick with it, stay away from sugars and when you have to power through, lean on green tea and coffee.

Congrats on taking action. The benefits are numerous.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

End the year on a tear.

Add heavy lifts to this plan and you might decide that you'd prefer to be 185 lbs instead.

Keto / Intermittent Fasting / Weightlifting guide below (recommended by Nassim Taleb's Twitter)

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Back in my college days, I would normally do 16 hours fast with an 8 hour feeding period. The first meal is always the highest caloric intake. I was in school full-time & work full-time so it worked out great for my productivity. It was tough because I was also bodybuilding at the time so my body craved food all day. I learned to suppress my hunger by drinking cold water, black coffee, and endless zero-calorie energy drinks. Not recommended of course.

Nowadays I'd occasionally do a 16 hour fast, depending on what I got going that day. But it does feel reassuring I can go the entire day without eating and it'll be totally fine. I suppose I'd well rather be a hungry lion than a well-fed lion;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ok I'm on day two. First of all, I have already weighed in at 211.4... So I like that a lot. Obviously that is probably some initial water weight, but results keep me motivated.

Coming from a keto guy, it was an absolute pleasure last night eating two Gyro sandwiches with lots of tomatoes on top. I also ate like 8 cutie oranges to finish up. It is very nice to have guilt free bread and fruit again.

Keeping the sugar out is relatively easy for me because I have been doing it for a long time already.

This is such a more binary diet. I am either eating or not. I love that aspect. It takes a lot of variables out of the equation. As someone that has keto'ed, the simplicity is refreshing. As is the fact that one cheat day doesn't have ripple effects.

I have noticed a slight reduction in energy, but I hear that will subside. I am definitely ready for dinner by 5PM. I'm cautiously optimistic that I found something that will help me get to my goals.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yesterday, waited until 6:30 for dinner and ate quite light. 4 days totally complete on 5th day now. It is getting easier.

It is also a great way for some to spend less money and time on eating. I have not weighed in yet today.

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
Yesterday, waited until 6:30 for dinner and ate quite light. 4 days totally complete on 5th day now. It is getting easier.

It is also a great way for some to spend less money and time on eating. I have not weighed in yet today.
You will find that this is a very easy, lazy way if you will to basically eat less than your used to. Once your adapted to it . Remember hunger is normal but sustainable , just don't have the idea you now can eat as much as you want when it's feeding time . Keep your food choice's healthy . You may not like this but eat your greens , your body will thank you.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Please enjoy the shameless plug of my blog. I briefly combined keto and IF for a month. Lost a good 8 pounds although its really a chicken vs egg to what caused it. Starting keto, my body naturally got into a 2 meal/day routine at 16:8. This is probably from the satiety of the high fat content. From what I have gathered, IF is not really something to be done everyday. Its good to randomly do it to shock your body.

Of course I do a more strict, clean keto which may also contribute to the fast weight loss. No cheat days (cheat days shouldn't exist in keto) and no alcohol.

I highly agree. Going out to eat was such a burden. I ended up paying more for substitutions or they had slim pickings. I used that budget to get better sourced food to cook at home. Put a damper on my rising Yelp profile, but made me a frequent flyer at the grocery store.

Ryko

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 19, 2012
Croatia
I didn't try IF but I tried water fasting because I had a month full of glut and overeating (emotional, stress most likely) and felt so sick of myself - so I just cut the food and went 15 days water. Dropped quite a lot of weight, most water but the scale stayed very stable over the next few months despite still not enrolling in any gym.

Recently I did another run of 10 water days and went to the gym, and as far as I can "understand" why my body is saying - undereating doesn't work when living "active" (3 gym sessions per week). Despite feeling full eating healthy good food at 1400 calories, body needs more.

I'm gonna look into IF and I think I might try doing it for a while after Christmas festivities. My only concern is that my gym schedule is first thing in the morning - so going to the gym on empty stomach is not something I think I'll be able to pull off, but if I do it should be a good way to lose more weight, but slowly and in a healthy manner.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California

You are gonna love it Kak. Once you realize you dont need that late last meal of the day it is absolutely rasy and rewarding.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States
I do IF (16:8) every day combined with Keto. I've lost 37#s to date. I also do a full or as close to full day fast once per week. Usually on Saturday. I've also done a 3 day fast which I plan to schedule in at regular intervals.

The nice thing about IF or fasting in general while doing keto is if you have a day where you fall off keto, the IF/fasting has your back. This protocol has me back in keto in no time. And if you are truly fat adapted it's not going to make a big difference

I do the longer fasts for the up-regulation of stem cells, HGH, and Autophagy. But seeing the keto monitor hit the high 5s and glucose in the low 70s is a hoot!

Coming from a keto guy, it was an absolute pleasure last night eating two Gyro sandwiches with lots of tomatoes on top. I also ate like 8 cutie oranges to finish up. It is very nice to have guilt free bread and fruit again.

I totally get this! As I said, I do keto but I'm not a monk either! lol I do love some non-keto friendly foods and I'm going to eat them.

MatthewJacob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 16, 2019
I have been fasting intermittently for awhile now with great results.

I basically fast 5:2 and really feel great right for the new couple of days.

Also have lost about 20lbs in the last couple of months since I've started it though that isn't really the main goal I had in mind. I just wanted to be more healthy and have changed my diet along with fasting.

Just curious if anyone else has been IF for any period of time.

If so, what days and how do you fast, ie water only, juice, coffee etc?

Yep :) I do OMAD combined with prolonged fasting only consuming water + electrolytes.

Diet is low-carb / ketogenic.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Today should be interesting. Took Sunday off because we usually go to brunch after church...

Today, I am OMAD and only eating like 300 calories worth of salad for my one meal.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Today my 6 yr old son asked me, "Dad, how did you get your tummy so small?"

MISSION FREAKING ACCOMPLISHED!!

Setting a healthy example for my kids is a big part of my motivation. Losing 45 lbs to get under my college weight felt good.

Him asking me this question? Priceless.

Intermittent fasting works y'all.

Who else wants to share a success? If we get enough response we might inspire some others on the forum to take action for their health in the new year.

KenCorigliano

TCMethod
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 29, 2020
Washington DC area

Did you stick to it still?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Did you stick to it still?

Yes! It has been difficult like anything worth doing. I use it with the under armor MyFitnessPal app.

I have lost about 10 pounds.

Charly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 6, 2020
US
I'm doing IF with the assistance of an app called yazio. Maybe you heard of it? Free Calorie Counter App for your Android - YAZIO It has a fasting feature with which I can track my eating habits. I learned that when I first started IF (16/8) I ate too little which caused the opposite of what I had in mind. I felt sick and gained weight somehow. Now with tracking, I stay in my limits and it works great. I feel more energetic and lost a couple of pounds. My goal is to slowly work my way to 6/1.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
So I've been away from the forum for some time, but had to come back briefly to give my experience on IF, in conjunction with keto diet.

Started with 6 weeks of of OMAD with the only carbs being from baked sweet potato pretty much. But a decent amount.

Then completely keto, testing with just the ketone strips, which are ok for the first few months at least. Ditched all carbs except for what I got from vegetables basically. Still OMAD. But it was a freaking heavy meal of 2000 to 2500 calories (I created my own spreadsheet to calculate calories and macros, I don't entirely trust the apps). Avocado and quality olive oil are your best friend. I can eat a lot, but 2500 cals is not as easy as it sounds lol.

Within a month I think I became fat adapted, or started to, and I stopped feeling hungry pretty much at anytime. Did a 48 hour fasts every second week or so, then even tried a 3 day 72 hour fast and it was unbelievably easy. Shocking.

Within 3.5 to 4 months went from 92kg to 72 kg. That's insane. I stopped as I was losing so much weight and didn't want to look like a bobblehead. Will start up again though, but in conjunction with weights. I was doing cardio twice a day as part of the 75 hard program (along with 4 litres of water daily), but while keto and fasting, it was pretty much just walking /light jogging. I definitely wouldn't recommend HIIT while trying it (for longer than 24 hour fasts I mean - OMAD would be totally fine).

It was a big difference in how I look. I wonder how much of it was from inflammation vs weight loss. I think keto had a major impact, but it wasn't till I started fasting that things went crazy. I feel like if I didn't easy my way into it and work on my insulin resistance gradually, it wouldn't have worked as well.

At the time, I thought the guys talking about feeling more clear headed on keto were full of crap. But then, since going back to carbs, I swear to god I can notice it! Way cloudier than when I was on strict keto (approx 20g carbs) with IF. I just didn't know till I went back to carbs. Have put on a little bit of weight since going back to carbs, but not much really.

Last edited:

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I'm doing IF with the assistance of an app called yazio. Maybe you heard of it? Free Calorie Counter App for your Android - YAZIO It has a fasting feature with which I can track my eating habits. I learned that when I first started IF (16/8) I ate too little which caused the opposite of what I had in mind. I felt sick and gained weight somehow. Now with tracking, I stay in my limits and it works great. I feel more energetic and lost a couple of pounds. My goal is to slowly work my way to 6/1.

That's strange - how did you gain weight eating too little? Maybe it was water weight - I know I hold on to water if my calories go too low from the stress.

I really like the Zero or LIFE app for tracking fasting.

So I've been away from the forum for some time, but had to come back briefly to give my experience on IF, in conjunction with keto diet.

Started with 6 weeks of of OMAD with the only carbs being from baked sweet potato pretty much. But a decent amount.

Then completely keto, testing with just the ketone strips, which are ok for the first few months at least. Ditched all carbs except for what I got from vegetables basically. Still OMAD. But it was a freaking heavy meal of 2000 to 2500 calories (I created my own spreadsheet to calculate calories and macros, I don't entirely trust the apps). Avocado and quality olive oil are your best friend. I can eat a lot, but 2500 cals is not as easy as it sounds lol.

Within a month I think I became fat adapted, or started to, and I stopped feeling hungry pretty much at anytime. Did a 48 hour fasts every second week or so, then even tried a 3 day 72 hour fast and it was unbelievably easy. Shocking.

Within 3.5 to 4 months went from 92kg to 72 kg. That's insane. I stopped as I was losing so much weight and didn't want to look like a bobblehead. Will start up again though, but in conjunction with weights. I was doing cardio twice a day as part of the 75 hard program (along with 4 litres of water daily), but while keto and fasting, it was pretty much just walking /light jogging. I definitely wouldn't recommend HIIT while trying it (for longer than 24 hour fasts I mean - OMAD would be totally fine).

It was a big difference in how I look. I wonder how much of it was from inflammation vs weight loss. I think keto had a major impact, but it wasn't till I started fasting that things went crazy. I feel like if I didn't easy my way into it and work on my insulin resistance gradually, it wouldn't have worked as well.

At the time, I thought the guys talking about feeling more clear headed on keto were full of crap. But then, since going back to carbs, I swear to god I can notice it! Way cloudier than when I was on strict keto (approx 20g carbs) with IF. I just didn't know till I went back to carbs. Have put on a little bit of weight since going back to carbs, but not much really.

I cut out carbs a while back. My body does fine on them, but I always get sluggish and bloated and I don't like that feeling no matter how "good" they may be. It's mostly meat and cheese for me. I find that if I do keto for some time, when going back to carbs my body processes them really really well. But after some time that effect wears off.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.