The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I was let go from my job today, and a chat about quiet quitting

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Unfortunately the world isn't black/white and the entire system is setup to make you believe if you aren't killing yourself to make others rich, then you're simply adding to the problem. Corporations get away with how they treat people because of mentalities such as these.

You can give your employer exactly the amount of effort they deserve/pay you for without sacrificing your personal standards/integrity. You "quiet quit" at work, but the instant you go home, you turn into the problem solving, technically-inclined monster you seem to be. I'm a web developer (for a "career") and implement this very logic myself.

Having said all that, ultimately the point is moot as you've already been fired. I suppose that IS the point though. Regardless of whether or not you gave them your full-a$$ or half-a$$, they still control and determine the outcome of your employment.

While I am sincerely sorry for you being fired, it simply emphasizes your point of you more than likely being better off as the boss vs being the employee.
Observation: You say that the world isn't black and white, but then you proceed immediately to all-or-nothing thinking. ("the entire system is setup to make you believe if you aren't killing yourself to make others rich, then you're simply adding to the problem.") That's a cognitive distortion.

Can you see how this is all-or-nothing thinking? Your statement uses a superlative (the entire system? really?) and implies that the only alternative to quiet quitting is to "kill yourself to make others rich." This is not how it works, and it's not what people are advocating when they are against quiet quitting.

Also, I'm not sure if you were expressing condolences to me or to OP about being fired, but in my scenario, I was not fired. If you assumed I was, I suppose you might have misread this statement ("This mindset shift would have been reinforced when I eventually got fired and I knew I only had myself to thank for it due to not putting in legitimate effort.") but I was speaking hypothetically the whole way through.

In my actual real life, when I found myself in that kind of job, I looked around, made choices, and quickly got myself out of that predicament and into a much better situation for myself.

"They" don't have as much control as you think they do. If you've ever been an employer who has an employee with immense skills and you know that the business would fall apart if they were to get hit by a bus or something, you know what I'm talking about. Viewing your life as being under some third-party's control rather than your own is a mindset shift. You might be interested to try taking this test and see if you have an internal or external locus of control.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Guess that's the problem with most bosses/companies. It's easier to look away and say, "care about my profit," then it is to make sure your employees are happy. Good luck though, my dude, something tells me you're going to need it.

Props to you for being one of the very few who understands the true meaning of quiet-quitting (QQ). QQ isn't about slacking off or cheating, it's about doing exactly what you're paid to do, no more no less. The bare minimum stated in the job description.

No "going the extra mile" when you're not paid extra for that. If bosses like SteveO wants employees like us to "go the extra mile", "go above and beyond", they need to pay more. Unfortunately, in the real world, this isn't what happens. Most employees are actually underpaid, let's be honest. You're made to work 10 - 14 hrs when you're paid only the salary for 44 hrs/week of work.

QQ is good : by not going the extra mile, you end up saving TIME & ENERGY to invest in your own hustle/Fastlane after work. Imagine : John's agreed working hrs are 9 - 6, but he "goes above and beyond" and ends up putting in 14 hrs a day, 6 days a week, with no extra pay, all for his boss. When he gets home, he's drained and tired, and it affects his fastlane hustle. That is bad.

QQ happens because

i) employees do not see a future in the company they're working for

ii) they know they'll be retrenched when the economy goes bad regardless of how hardworking they're

Also, not sure if I posted this before:

aqZdjNv_460s.jpg

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
454%
Mar 15, 2018
Props to you for being one of the very few who understands the true meaning of quiet-quitting (QQ). QQ isn't about slacking off or cheating, it's about doing exactly what you're paid to do, no more no less. The bare minimum stated in the job description.

No "going the extra mile" when you're not paid extra for that. If bosses like SteveO wants employees like us to "go the extra mile", "go above and beyond", they need to pay more. Unfortunately, in the real world, this isn't what happens. Most employees are actually underpaid, let's be honest. You're made to work 10 - 14 hrs when you're paid only the salary for 44 hrs/week of work.

QQ is good : by not going the extra mile, you end up saving TIME & ENERGY to invest in your own hustle/Fastlane after work. Imagine : John's agreed working hrs are 9 - 6, but he "goes above and beyond" and ends up putting in 14 hrs a day, 6 days a week, with no extra pay, all for his boss. When he gets home, he's drained and tired, and it affects his fastlane hustle. That is bad.

QQ happens because

i) employees do not see a future in the company they're working for

ii) they know they'll be retrenched when the economy goes bad regardless of how hardworking they're

Also, not sure if I posted this before:

aqZdjNv_460s.jpg
You make it surprisingly easy to tell who’s who on this forum.

Any union would be proud to have you screaming “comrades! Power to the people! Greedy capitalists will pay!”

@Bekit nailed it. It’s all in the mindset.
Entrepreneur thinks “this is a problem, how do I solve it? Let me try another way. Try again and again”.
Wannabe entrepreneur thinks: “quiet quit, there’s more to life than my soul sucking job, I don’t understand why I’m not promoted… after working hard, I didn’t produce but hey they didn’t train me well enough and they don’t care. No, no no! I will not just proper quit and find another way, that’s for idiots.”

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
@Oso

It all starts and then goes the same way, for anti-work and quiet quit to a victim mentality.

The story is something like this...

I went above and beyond my job duties the other day, I did such a great job but no one even noticed. My co-worker Bobby agrees, I did great but did my boss even say "thank you"? Of course not. Worse than that, they just promoted this one guy Kenny who's nowhere near as good as I am or Bobby, but did we get a promotion? NO. I shouldn't care but I am the kind of person who always cares. Promotions like this one ruin the culture at our company. No wonder so many people are unhappy. Bobby agrees with me, we can see it, but the bosses are idiots.

I had this great idea for how to save company millions, I even sent an email to Daniel in operations, he said he'd look into it. Nothing ever happened. I did my part, it's the company's fault for having such bad bosses, clearly owners don't care, why should I? That's it, Bobby and I agree, no more going above and beyond. It's just not worth it, let's only do what we are paid for and that's it. It's called Quiet Quitting.

Pretty sure my value is way higher than what I am getting here, I just asked for a promotion but why should I even be asking? Should't my boss know my value? I even got a call from a recruiter telling me the market for my skills is way more. That's the problem with businesses lately, these greedy owners only care about profits and people are furniture to them. I mean, I got a raise, but it is no where near my real value.

Remember that idea they didn't do anything with? Yeah, that was worth millions. They are lucky to have me here, I don't feel bad at all working on my side hustle while at work, no one can see my screen. But that's not even the point, the point is, I am not being paid enough for what I do here. I am easily worth double. So I work half a day and the rest of the time I work on my own thing. It's fair, Bobby is the same. Kenny is there putting in 12 hour days but no one likes him, he's in everyone's business, very annoying and bad for culture.

These days I work from home, the job I am paid to do I can literally knock out in 1-2 hours max, the rest of the time I just do my own thing. But the problem is my consultants/people, they charge too much. I am in debt already, I can't afford to hire good people yet. I even landed a client, but he wanted me to do all this extra work but that's above and beyond what I thought we agreed to do. He paid me a good deposit, so I don't care, I promised to deliver what I told him and that's it.

Man oh man, I can't wait for one day to be dealing with better clients to afford a better team. If only I paid off my debts. It's the damn government, I am telling you - why can't education be free? We pay so much taxes, they should just wipe out my student debt. I'd be killing it in business if I didn't have this debt and had to hang on to this job. Lucky I am very good at what I do and can get my shit done in 2 hours and focus on my side business...

6 years later

I can't believe I've been on this forum for 6 years already. Unfortunately, business didn't go as well as I hoped. Problem is I didn't have the money, the people I hired sucked and did a bad job. Also, some clients are real jerks, they just keep asking for more and more, changing their minds. My product is great, I know it, I talked to Bobby and he agrees. I guess luck plays a big role in business success... We just missed the big launch by literally two weeks and our stupid clients freaked out, like it's that big a deal, I mean they didn't pay me to go above and beyond, I delivered what they paid. What's the big deal? People really need to treat programmers better, the world sucks.

Meanwhile...
Steve is playing golf, goes 4x4ing, no debt, high net worth. Forgot this debate even happened.

@Oso, I enjoyed writing this fable. Hope it helps you snap out of your ways and see that it's all the same. Have a solid work ethic, good moral compass and that'll improve your odds of success in business. All this quiet quitting and other bullshit like it is road to nowhere good.

P.S. Most of us who employ people care deeply about our staff. Finding good people is a real challenge and we do go above and beyond to keep them. At the same time, the minute I identify a "quiet quitter" - I can't fire them fast enough. They do have a great tell, they are typically unproductive and nervous around me, have nothing to add to a conversation, prefer to have private space with screens turned away etc.
Love it, great long term perspective !
As I see it, you need to put hours in your job either way. And if I learned something from MJ's books, is that time is more valuable than money.
So you should spend that time doing a good job while you have to do it, not waste it always.

I also wonder if one can develop a good work ethic, or if that's just innate in their character.
Honestly I think I have a good one but I'm not sure.

Also I get irritated if I have to spend extra hours on the job, stealing me free time.
But yeah, OP has clearly a very good dedication to his work. Things will be better.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Funny, it plays out like this:

Entrepreneurs/hard workers/people who make things happen: The harder I work, the more luck I get. The more things happen to me. If I didn't get promoted, maybe I should work on myself and try harder. I can only blame myself for any lack or shortcomings ultimately.

Quite Quitters/most liberals/lazy people/etc: I did what I was supposed to do and no more, but didn't get promoted. My boss favors XYZ because they are racists/favor men/don't care about me and are a jerk for it and I blame them for my lack of success and all the things I want.

Notice 1 group always blames someone else and does nothing to improve the situation for themselves other than doing less? While the other group typically takes on the blame and takes on the responsibility to improve their lives with action and doing more?

Hmm, how does this play out in other areas?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
454%
Mar 15, 2018
Love it, great long term perspective !
As I see it, you need to put hours in your job either way. And if I learned something from MJ's books, is that time is more valuable than money.
So you should spend that time doing a good job while you have to do it, not waste it always.
Exactly, don’t waste your time. Be useful instead.

I also wonder if one can develop a good work ethic, or if that's just innate in their character.
Honestly I think I have a good one but I'm not sure.
No one is born with good work ethic. It’s developed like any skill. The more you practice, the better you become at it.

Also I get irritated if I have to spend extra hours on the job, stealing me free time.

I tell my employees that I don’t like seeing them stay late. When they do, I see it as either:
1. I’ve overloaded them with too much work. Not good.
2. They aren’t effective at their jobs and have to compensate with longer hours.

The reality is today employees bring most value not by the hours they put in. It’s no the assembly factory pre-automation! We are mostly knowledge economy. Value now comes from making good decisions, improving processes, communication skills etc.

That’s my main issue with the victim mindset “I have no control over anything” people. The minute you quiet quit, you’ve lost the opportunity to grow yourself. This “us vs them” thinking is toxic.
I personally enjoyed coming up with ways to make my employer more money in less time. The more I did that, the more I gained confidence in starting my own business. Which I later did and succeeded. I didn’t have to change me!
People also say “I’ll rise to the occasion!” Meaning they’ll act differently when under pressure… yet I think we just drop down to the lowest level of preparation. And those who didn’t put in the work, didn’t gain the experience because of “quiet quit” type thinking… they will typically fail.

But yeah, OP has clearly a very good dedication to his work. Things will be better.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Guess that's the problem with most bosses/companies. It's easier to look away and say, "care about my profit," then it is to make sure your employees are happy. Good luck though, my dude, something tells me you're going to need it.

OP: Also sorry if I participated in hijacking.

It's not your boss's responsibility to make you happy. YOU make yourself happy by negotiating pay that you believe correlates with the value you provide.

It sounds like you're one of those resentful employees who never voice their needs/demands to their employer but spend ample time complaining to coworkers and family members.

If you feel like you're not being paid enough, grow a pair and go tell your boss. Be prepared to give VERY specific and convincing reasons why you need to be paid more. If none come to mind right off the bat, then it's simple - you aren't results-oriented but just doing what you're told like every other employee.

You talk about giving your boss "effort" in your posts but nothing about providing value to their business.

Read this: https://www.freshbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/breaking-the-time-barrier.pdf

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The reality is, and I think @eliquid nailed it, it’s a life perspective. Those with this massive external locus aren’t worth promoting, paying more, coddling or honestly even working with in general. So the cycle continues.

Nothing good ever “happens to them.”

An entrepreneur needs an “I happen to the market” standpoint.

This is why I personally consider an external locus a legitimate character flaw. I just can’t mesh with it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would be awesome if people would post how many people they have on their payroll when they voice their opinions on quiet quitting.

I'm guessing you will see a 100% correlation between employees and employers.

In other words, people who say this new trend is awesome don't own a business and have zero employees. Clearly they've been indoctrinated into "oh those evil business owners" mentality so readily pushed by the Scripted media.

Hard to take them seriously when they have never had a taste of having skin in the game, and knowing your not only responsible for your finances, but dozens of others.

I just hope when the roles are reversed, spending $1000s to hire an employee and paying them more than market rates (thinking hey, I'll be part of the solution and not the problem) only to find out later that they hired a "quiet quitter" and paying above market rates still isn't good enough.

Yes, most large public corporations treat their employees like dogshit which is all the more reason why to leave and start your own gig, and then be the change you want to see. You'll be surprised to discover that you can't avoid these types of people and these types of mentalities, no matter how well you pay.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
That’s my main issue with the victim mindset “I have no control over anything” people. The minute you quiet quit, you’ve lost the opportunity to grow yourself. This “us vs them” thinking is toxic.
I personally enjoyed coming up with ways to make my employer more money in less time. The more I did that, the more I gained confidence in starting my own business. Which I later did and succeeded. I didn’t have to change me!
People also say “I’ll rise to the occasion!” Meaning they’ll act differently when under pressure… yet I think we just drop down to the lowest level of preparation. And those who didn’t put in the work, didn’t gain the experience because of “quiet quit” type thinking… they will typically fail.
Yes. When "Quiet quitting" you don't see hard work as an opportunity to grow and get more accostumed to it, to working hard.
If "raising to the occasion" it's true, you would still be at a lower mental state than what's needed ! What if I have to do some "dumb" work for my business ?

Also I honestly thought Xeon was joking at the beginning lol.
This is coming full circle with the thread about bad service in a lot of businesses today. Full of people who quiet quitted probably
And as Bekit said, better to quit altogether

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
in my engineering company, we judge our people based on our core values in addition to their metrics.
'are highly motivated / A players' eliminates the quiet quitting negative mentality types.
'are continually trained / improving skills' ........ we push our people to perform and grow

now if i ran a manufacturing facility and my staff gave me what they were capable of and no more, cool. work fair, pay fair.
for leadership in that facility, you've got to be getting better

agree w/ @MJ DeMarco , and i have an example from my boys while they were running the soap business. one day my son asked if his friend could help them because his friend wanted to earn some money so they could go do stuff together. when i showed my son the things his friend could do and compared what he wanted to pay his friend vs what amount of profit it took from him vs what work was still left to do? .... well, my son said 'F that'. let's hire my other friend. he'll work for less and produce more. lol

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
454%
Mar 15, 2018
note that is seems the “quiet quit your job” folks quiet quit this thread.

:eek::rofl::fistbump:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
Reading these responses has been rather interesting.

In this specific context, "effort" and "being an asset to a company" are synonyms. I dare say it's difficult to be an asset without effort, and similarly, without effort, it's next to impossible to be an asset. I also find it interesting how personally my words seemed to have effected some individuals, especially considering my words weren't directed at anyone specifically. That said, feeling the need to point out how good of a boss someone is, how their employees respect them, how they pay well, etc. tells me that either they feel the need to overcompensate, or they're trying to hide behind a guilty subconscious. After-all, this forum lives off the idea of "the proof is in the pudding." If someone really is that successful in regards to managing employees, being a boss, etc. then the evidence should be there and they shouldn't feel obligated to point it out. Once again, this is further emphasized by the fact I was strictly speaking in regards to giant corporations, not small-medium businesses (most small-medium business owners are cool af). I thought I had made that abundantly clear but apparently not.

The whole "victim mentality" is fascinating. Someone has already pointed out how our opinions are a reflection of the world around us. While that is true, opinions can be, and often times are, influenced by data. That said, if I truly had a victim mentality, I would be looking for excuses as to why "I cannot personally succeed at anything." This has nothing to do with my personal mentality. I am simply pointing out how it appears people get from A to B in the workforce, regardless of my personal opinion on it. Having said that, anyone can say I have a "victim mentality" and that's completely fine. That's their opinion. However, in the very spirit of entrepreneurship (and this forum), I'll simply counter with this: F*ck their opinion about me /shrug.

I think the aspect of all this that truly baffles me, is the simple fact that I can guarantee you almost every single person on this forum, at some point in time, has had a shitty job that didn't pay them well and underappreciated their effort. Hell, I'd go as far as saying I'm sure a HUGE portion of them went into entrepreneurship with the mentality of "F*ck my old boss/company, I'm gonna show him/her/they/it." I'd also be willing to bet anything that if they are a good boss, chances are they're a good boss because of how they've personally been treated in the past, and because they have enough common sense to comprehend HAPPY employees are PRODUCTIVE employees.

It's wild to me how the entire point of this forum is to expand our minds, views, etc. and grow as humans to ensure we're both directly helping fellow humans while simultaneously gaining some type of financial independence. Yet, it seems the instant someone has a different view/opinion, people begin personally attacking them, claiming they're this, that, and the other. How can anyone grow while being trapped in a little bubble?

As my final thought, I feel this entire conversation boils back to the "which came first: the chicken or the egg" philosophy. In order to be rewarded, employees must produce. That's perfectly acceptable. However, in order to produce, employees want to be taken care of. Where/when did it get so f*cked up? Corporations have had the upper hand for decades, based on the simple fact people need to provide for themselves/their families. And now? The tides are changing. Again, no one has to automatically believe me, though the data proves it (I also encourage they do their own research). We are currently experiencing a record-setting influx of entrepreneurs, side hustlers, flippers, etc. And I'm sorry (not sorry), but if someone believes people are just upset they can't be freeloaders, I'd strongly encourage said person to truly reevaluate the world around them and research the facts. Or don't. It's on them.

Personally, I choose to invest effort into bridging the gap between corporations and employees. I believe there is a solid foundation for some type of balance. "A rising tide (should) lift all boats." It should also go without saying that I believe a boat should only rise if said boat actually contributes to the cause, is putting in hard work, and is a genuine asset.

P.S. At no point in time did I ever say, "F*ck THEM, THEY NEED TO CODDLE THEIR EMPLOYEES, HURRR." I'm simply encouraging people to be extremely supportive of their employees in order to maximize returns. After you've been extremely supportive of someone, if they still suck, if they try to take advantage of you, etc. then your solution is really easy: you fire their a$$ immediately. Don't confuse "treating your employees as humans" with "coddling/dick riding/etc." I may have empathy but I'm not an idiot. I will never encourage someone/a company to keep a toxic, useless employee, but I will forever encourage an employee to drop a shitty employer.

P.S.S. OP, again I am sorry for both you being fired and my participation in hijacking your thread. I sincerely hope you're able to bounce back from this setback ASAP. But always remember this: you are worth more than some shit job, so please do yourself a favor, and apply your skills and work ethic to something that benefits you and those around you. Good luck!
note that is seems the “quiet quit your job” folks quiet quit this thread.

:eek::rofl::fistbump:
Unfortunately my SAAS project isn't going to create itself. It also seems you're looking for more of an opinion-based debate over a data-based debate. I also get the feeling you aren't the most open-minded person, so debating things with you seems pointless at this current point in time, thus instead of replying with thought and data, I've ultimately decided it isn't worth the energy. This will be my last response to/in this thread.

Yes, most large public corporations treat their employees like dogshit which is all the more reason why to leave and start your own gig, and then be the change you want to see. You'll be surprised to discover that you can't avoid these types of people and these types of mentalities, no matter how well you pay.
The wild part is, this is ultimately what my point/rant boils down to: emphasizing that most MAJOR CORPORATIONS are shit in regards to how they treat people, thus I either encourage entrepreneurship, or at the very least, working for a company that doesn't treat them as such.

In regards to the initial part of your post, when I sold my portion of the business (Feb. 2022), we had 3 employees in-store, and approximately 40 people working 100% remote, on backend stuff: processing orders, listing product, taking pictures of product, handling shipping, handling customer payments, handling customer complaints, responding to vendors/distributors, maintaining our social media accounts, etc. Unfortunately growth was slow for the initial ~3 years due to overhead costs and business-related loans.

Regardless of how this thread played out, some of you brought up extremely thought-provoking points/opinions. Thank you for aiding me in the push for additional self-growth and critical thinking. I appreciate that (and you) more than I'll ever be able to explain.

Last edited:

MarcusRich

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 13, 2022
Indiana
I think today sealed the deal for me.

If you “think” it sealed the deal it wasn’t your FTE. I hope you can take action but that think word makes me skeptical. I’m ready to be proven wrong

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Once again, this is further emphasized by the fact I was strictly speaking in regards to giant corporations, not small-medium businesses (most small-medium business owners are cool af). I thought I had made that abundantly clear but apparently not.
Nope. Nope. Nope.

You called out Steve-O. You told him he was going to need some luck. You judged him wrongly.

And you say that you know he's a golf course owner.

Don't try and revise history. Don't try and change what you said. It was apparent and clear to anyone who comprehends English what you were doing.

That said, feeling the need to point out how good of a boss someone is, how their employees respect them, how they pay well, etc. tells me that either they feel the need to overcompensate, or they're trying to hide behind a guilty subconscious. After-all, this forum lives off the idea of "the proof is in the pudding." If someone really is that successful in regards to managing employees, being a boss, etc. then the evidence should be there and they shouldn't feel obligated to point it out.

We didn't even know you had employees until you felt the need to defend yourself. If you were that good of a boss, you shouldn't have felt that need.

Ergo, it either isn't self evident who is a good boss or you are guilty of the very thing you accuse others of doing.

The hypocrisy, revisionist history, and double speak here is epic.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
454%
Mar 15, 2018
The hypocrisy, revisionist history, and double speak here is epic.

Oh so so very true.

This place is here to help people. I hope Oso and others like him, snap out of it. The people posting here have no pony in his race. We just support one another. But to do that he’ll need to change his mindset. Start doing some research into people posting and become grateful for the advice of people like SteveO.

Spoiler alert: it’s not about golf course operations.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Quite Quitters/most liberals/lazy people/etc: I did what I was supposed to do and no more, but didn't get promoted. My boss favors XYZ because they are racists/favor men/don't care about me and are a jerk for it and I blame them for my lack of success and all the things I want.

Wrong. People who truly quiet quit don't even care about all these issues. All they care is about getting paid at the end of the month, that's all. It doesn't even matter who the boss promotes or favours. What you're describing is not quiet quitting but laziness that you see in most workers.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
People who truly quiet quit don't even care about all these issues. All they care is about getting paid
Lol… They only care about profits…

While accusing their bosses of only caring about profits…

I don’t know how this doesn’t feel tremendously hypocritical to you guys. “ItS oNlY bAD wHeN tHeY dO iT”

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Wrong. People who truly quiet quit don't even care about all these issues. All they care is about getting paid at the end of the month, that's all. It doesn't even matter who the boss promotes or favours. What you're describing is not quiet quitting but laziness that you see in most workers.

No it's laziness.

Quite quitting is all about doing the bare min and no more. Even if they are salaried, they aren't doing any more.. especially after 5pm or w/e their suppose cut off time is.

I've had over 100 jobs. If you care to know why or how I pulled that off, I could go into detail in another thread one day, but yes these were legit w2 jobs. Most of them were 2nd full-time or part-time roles, but I had them.

I would say with ease that 99% of them contained language in the hiring paperwork that say something to the summary of "and other duties as requested/required" along with "lifting up to 30 lbs" and "standing" all day. Even though most of my positions were desk jobs doing marketing.

I think being asked to do XYZ outside of the min, would be included in the "and other duties as requested/required". Even if it meant staying after a few minutes or taking work home, right? Quite Quitters aren't for that stuff, but it's pretty much 100% defacto hiring paperwork language you have to sign to even get the job.

Also, I don't pay my son or daughters to do work I ask them to do around the house. If they do the "bare min" all day of an expected child or person that lives in my home, and then I ask them to come outside to help me for 10 minutes to hold this piece of Walnut while I cut it on the table saw, and they say no.. that's being damn lazy, not a quite quitter. It also doesn't make me an ahole dad or toxic parent.

Same with employee and employer.

You agreed to do "other" when you got hired. Now you don't want to because, well.. you're lazy and agreed to any work I gave you when I hired you.

Just quit and find another job instead. Instead you stay lazy and stay at the current job and try to push unions and other BS on your employer trying to change their culture. Just up and quit.

Last edited:

Brujah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Aug 30, 2019
Sorry you got let go.

It sounds like you have been in some terribly toxic environments.

But it also sounds like you have developed some skillsets that are extremely versatile and transferable.

What if you get some good, solid rest over the next few days, take a step back and assess all your options, and spring for the one that looks the most reliable.

If I were in your shoes, I would at LEAST want some income rolling in the door while you regroup, recover from the burnout that your previous position has caused you, and take steps toward your plan. Even if that means working as a server again temporarily, just get paid something, somehow. Otherwise, anxiety will skyrocket if you are stressing over basic survival.

Questions I would be asking....
  • Are you in a city?
  • How high is your local cost of living?
  • Can you move somewhere cheaper? (Not to the ghetto, but to a more affordable state or region)
  • What are your local job options?
  • Can you move somewhere with better job options?
  • What are your remote job options?
  • What kind of work is going to be the easiest for you to land?
  • What kind of work is going to be the best pay in exchange for the least stress?
  • What kind of work is going to be the best pay in exchange for the least time?
  • What are the 3-5 companies who would be your dream employers? I know your endgame is not a job, but if the wolf is at the door, your fastlane journey will be severely hindered.
  • On the other hand, if you have some savings and a little bit of runway, what business can you start and get profitable fast? (The obvious one seems like web design since you already know that - have you read @Fox 's book The $1 Million Web Designer Guide?)
Thank you for the reply. Yes, my anxiety has already skyrocketed. I live in one of the major cities in Florida, and the cost of living has skyrocketed recently, although my landlord is a merciful person, and he didn't raise my rent too much this year.

Where I live, it is mostly low-paying minimum wage jobs, and I'm dying to get out of here. Even when I had my job, I was not happy because of the weather and the soullessness of the city. There is also a lot of crime. I've been looking for jobs all over over the US, willing to relocate, but I'm looking to get a remote job. Generally, the vast majority of people who live comfortably here have remote jobs as the salaries are really low here, even for experienced professionals.

I've done Uber and Lyft before and have good ratings, so I'm planning to do that even if it takes me 10 hours a day to meet my basic needs. I'll be applying to jobs vigorously.

Brujah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Aug 30, 2019
I would try the following:

Are you still in contact with your ex-colleagues?
Where did they go?
Are there jobs available at their company?
Can they recommend you?
Thanks. My colleagues and I went along really well and one of them quit because the company didn't value her so she quit and got a better job. We were both developers. I reached out to her and applied for an open position at her company. She said I should give her as a reference and I did that. Crossing fingers. I've also reached out to a few other ex-colleagues.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
454%
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks. My colleagues and I went along really well and one of them quit because the company didn't value her so she quit and got a better job. We were both developers. I reached out to her and applied for an open position at her company. She said I should give her as a reference and I did that. Crossing fingers. I've also reached out to a few other ex-colleagues.
Good on you. Get back up, get a better job, do better! Sincerely wishing you the best. And we are here for you when you need help, especially as and when you travel the entrepreneur route.

In the meantime, I had an engaging discussion on the Quiet Quitting topic with Kyle Keegan @Kak :

I sincerely hope that our chat prompts a change in mindset for people who think Quiet Quitting is a good idea. It is not. You are better than that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good on you. Get back up, get a better job, do better! Sincerely wishing you the best. And we are here for you when you need help, especially as and when you travel the entrepreneur route.

In the meantime, I had an engaging discussion on the Quiet Quitting topic with Kyle Keegan @Kak :

I sincerely hope that our chat prompts a change in mindset for people who think Quiet Quitting is a good idea. It is not. You are better than that.
Let’s be clear, we didn’t just roast the concept. We had a thoughtful discussion and even put toxic employers on trial.

I think the discussion goes way beyond the concept itself and lends itself to several amazing lessons in leadership.

Thanks @Antifragile as always. You are a natural.

Mgermani99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 6, 2022
You give it your all, but all your income is dependent on that one person who decides your fate.

I'm an American citizen, but I've spent years overseas to be with my family then I was fed up with the conditions of the country I was living in
and moved back to the US with only $5,000 and hope. I got a crappy job at a diner. I worked there diligently for 3 years, often pulling 12-hour shifts. At first, I was really bad at it, but after two years, I persevered and became one of the servers who made the most money. One day, a customer complained, and I got fired. All my tenacity and work in those 3 years? Gone. In one single day. Then I enrolled in a coding BootCamp. I've spent months of hell trying to learn to code and change my life while the money in my checking account was dwindling every day as we couldn't work during the BootCamp. 10 months later, I finally landed a job at a tech company. Then COVID happened. People got laid off, I survived, but I wasn't happy.

They completely changed my job role, I offered to volunteer for tasks, but they didn't let me. I still did what I was assigned to; I started out as a web developer, turned into content manager, handling SEO on the side. I graduated with a degree in architecture, worked as a web designer. I'm a jack-of-all-trades but master of none.

Half of the company quit, but I stayed for the paycheck. Big mistake. "Don't come up with your own solutions, do what we tell you to do" "the client isn't paying us enough for the solutions you produce".

Every Sunday night, I went to bed with crippling anxiety, not able to sleep. My entire livelihood being dependent on a single source and today my worst fear came true. I have no income and no health insurance.

I've been following these forums for about 6 years now. I've always wanted to have my own business, but I made excuses, and I was exhausted from the emotional toll my jobs took on me. I've read The Millionaire Fastlane but didn't take action, and I regret it very deeply, but I've learned my lesson. From now on, I'll do whatever it takes to build an independent income, to get away from the corporate drones and the rat race.

I don't aspire to be super-rich. I just want enough independent income to visit my aging parents in my country and not worry about meeting my basic living expenses. I think today sealed the deal for me. It was the

You give it your all, but all your income is dependent on that one person who decides your fate.

I'm an American citizen, but I've spent years overseas to be with my family then I was fed up with the conditions of the country I was living in
and moved back to the US with only $5,000 and hope. I got a crappy job at a diner. I worked there diligently for 3 years, often pulling 12-hour shifts. At first, I was really bad at it, but after two years, I persevered and became one of the servers who made the most money. One day, a customer complained, and I got fired. All my tenacity and work in those 3 years? Gone. In one single day. Then I enrolled in a coding BootCamp. I've spent months of hell trying to learn to code and change my life while the money in my checking account was dwindling every day as we couldn't work during the BootCamp. 10 months later, I finally landed a job at a tech company. Then COVID happened. People got laid off, I survived, but I wasn't happy.

They completely changed my job role, I offered to volunteer for tasks, but they didn't let me. I still did what I was assigned to; I started out as a web developer, turned into content manager, handling SEO on the side. I graduated with a degree in architecture, worked as a web designer. I'm a jack-of-all-trades but master of none.

Half of the company quit, but I stayed for the paycheck. Big mistake. "Don't come up with your own solutions, do what we tell you to do" "the client isn't paying us enough for the solutions you produce".

Every Sunday night, I went to bed with crippling anxiety, not able to sleep. My entire livelihood being dependent on a single source and today my worst fear came true. I have no income and no health insurance.

I've been following these forums for about 6 years now. I've always wanted to have my own business, but I made excuses, and I was exhausted from the emotional toll my jobs took on me. I've read The Millionaire Fastlane but didn't take action, and I regret it very deeply, but I've learned my lesson. From now on, I'll do whatever it takes to build an independent income, to get away from the corporate drones and the rat race.

I don't aspire to be super-rich. I just want enough independent income to visit my aging parents in my country and not worry about meeting my basic living expenses. I think today sealed the deal for me. It was the push that I needed.
Hey Buddy it sounds like its been tough for you.. id like to say that practicing optimism and gratitude 10 mins a day goes a long way. I assume you are an intelligent individual as you have accomplished feats alot of average people dont so wealth may just be a couple steps ahead of you. Intelligence is required but also effective habits, perseverance and dedication towards your financial goals are key. To achieve being the man you want to be on the future, think the way he is at the present moment.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Going from 5k in the bank and working in a diner to finishing coding bootcamp and moving over to tech industry bodes well for you! One step closer.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Thank you for the reply. Yes, my anxiety has already skyrocketed. I live in one of the major cities in Florida, and the cost of living has skyrocketed recently, although my landlord is a merciful person, and he didn't raise my rent too much this year.

Where I live, it is mostly low-paying minimum wage jobs, and I'm dying to get out of here. Even when I had my job, I was not happy because of the weather and the soullessness of the city. There is also a lot of crime. I've been looking for jobs all over over the US, willing to relocate, but I'm looking to get a remote job. Generally, the vast majority of people who live comfortably here have remote jobs as the salaries are really low here, even for experienced professionals.

I've done Uber and Lyft before and have good ratings, so I'm planning to do that even if it takes me 10 hours a day to meet my basic needs. I'll be applying to jobs vigorously.
Any update? Hope things are going well.

Feuertaufe

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 26, 2021
Germany
Here's my pushback on that.

When I was working for one of those companies (The toxic ones, the kind that really deserve for their employees to quiet quit, the ones who keep saying, as OP put it, "Don't come up with your own solutions, do what we tell you to do"), I felt this immense pressure to do just that.

Just check out.

Just settle for doing what I was told.

Just stop going above and beyond.

Just stop thinking.

Just do the bare minimum.

Just jump through their hoops and collect a paycheck.

You know why I didn't do that?

Because I knew that behavior would change ME.

Who I am is a curious, intelligent, creative problem solver. Who I am is someone who goes above and beyond. Who I am is a leader. Who I am is someone who doesn't just settle for "it can't be done" just because my boss said so.

And if I don't fit in because my employer doesn't appreciate me being that way, I need a different job. (Or, of course, a fastlane business.)

If I had "quiet quit" in those days, it would have subtly broken me.

If I had ever consented to bow to that pressure, one part of me would believe that "it was good for my survival to do this," but another part of me would have known that I was relinquishing my sense of agency, my ability to make my own choices, my right to engage with my surrounding and assert who I was and how I would participate.

This would have created immense cognitive dissonance. It would have suggested to me that "maybe I'm not all those good things that I define myself as." It would have made me ashamed of myself, my effort, my output, and my quality as a human being. It would have made me see myself as a parasite and a sidewalker and a low-caliber person.

This mindset shift would have been reinforced when I eventually got fired and I knew I only had myself to thank for it due to not putting in legitimate effort.

And once I reached that point, it would have taken a massive amount of effort to build back to the same habits and personal standards and strength of mind I had previously.

It's one thing to ACTUALLY quit. By all means, do that. The minute you discover that an employer is toxic, start sending out your resume and land a different position in a better environment. There is no point in putting up with abuse at work. That kind of employer should not be rewarded with one more minute of your time, even if you're just hanging around leeching off them as long as possible. Just being in that kind of environment is not worth the toll on your mental health.

So in my mind, quiet quitting is not the answer. It keeps you in a toxic environment when you could have pivoted into a better one. It damages the individual who does it. And it doesn't really solve anything.
So true! This describes perfectly how i felt in my last jobs. Nowadays this feeling is a warning sign, which i always get if i work to long in a job position. It kills your ambition and drive.

Brujah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Aug 30, 2019
Any update? Hope things are going well.
Hi everyone,

Yes, I have an update. One week after I was let go, I got an interview at a Fortune 100 company and got the job immediately. It is a contract job, so I'll have to start looking for another job within a year, but it is a very good stepping stone for me. I started last week. :)

oasis1frog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 15, 2021
Y
Yup, just hate it. If I do it again, definitely get a "sellable" skills self employed, just clients, no boss, no coworkers !!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.