The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I was let go from my job today, and a chat about quiet quitting

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I just saw this thread, and I think an example may help elucidate some of the points that the more experienced members are trying to impart.

I thought the reply could use it's own thread because it was long and stood on it's own two feet. So I posted my reply HERE.

@Kak, @Antifragile & @SteveO could correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they would accept if you tried to be Bob #4 but the output looked more like #3. They are harping on the fact that you seem to think #2 is ideal. You dress it up by describing it as realistic and just "data" driven. But you are just putting lipstick on a pig. The data just describes the environment. Your mindset decides your reaction. Choose to have a winners mindset.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Winning their dynamic with their boss was more important than winning in life. They were missing the forest for the trees.

I’ll get back to the other thread you started, but this is well put. I agree.

@Kak and I went over it in detail on his show. It was a fun one to kick around:

As promised to those of you who listened to yesterday's shorts... This was a great discussion that did so much more than just put a toxic concept on trial. It was a great lesson in leadership honestly. Thank you @Antifragile for joining me once again.

Maxcorso

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 19, 2023
Italy
Reading these responses has been rather interesting.

In this specific context, "effort" and "being an asset to a company" are synonyms. I dare say it's difficult to be an asset without effort, and similarly, without effort, it's next to impossible to be an asset. I also find it interesting how personally my words seemed to have effected some individuals, especially considering my words weren't directed at anyone specifically. That said, feeling the need to point out how good of a boss someone is, how their employees respect them, how they pay well, etc. tells me that either they feel the need to overcompensate, or they're trying to hide behind a guilty subconscious. After-all, this forum lives off the idea of "the proof is in the pudding." If someone really is that successful in regards to managing employees, being a boss, etc. then the evidence should be there and they shouldn't feel obligated to point it out. Once again, this is further emphasized by the fact I was strictly speaking in regards to giant corporations, not small-medium businesses (most small-medium business owners are cool af). I thought I had made that abundantly clear but apparently not.

The whole "victim mentality" is fascinating. Someone has already pointed out how our opinions are a reflection of the world around us. While that is true, opinions can be, and often times are, influenced by data. That said, if I truly had a victim mentality, I would be looking for excuses as to why "I cannot personally succeed at anything." This has nothing to do with my personal mentality. I am simply pointing out how it appears people get from A to B in the workforce, regardless of my personal opinion on it. Having said that, anyone can say I have a "victim mentality" and that's completely fine. That's their opinion. However, in the very spirit of entrepreneurship (and this forum), I'll simply counter with this: F*ck their opinion about me /shrug.

I think the aspect of all this that truly baffles me, is the simple fact that I can guarantee you almost every single person on this forum, at some point in time, has had a shitty job that didn't pay them well and underappreciated their effort. Hell, I'd go as far as saying I'm sure a HUGE portion of them went into entrepreneurship with the mentality of "F*ck my old boss/company, I'm gonna show him/her/they/it." I'd also be willing to bet anything that if they are a good boss, chances are they're a good boss because of how they've personally been treated in the past, and because they have enough common sense to comprehend HAPPY employees are PRODUCTIVE employees.

It's wild to me how the entire point of this forum is to expand our minds, views, etc. and grow as humans to ensure we're both directly helping fellow humans while simultaneously gaining some type of financial independence. Yet, it seems the instant someone has a different view/opinion, people begin personally attacking them, claiming they're this, that, and the other. How can anyone grow while being trapped in a little bubble?

As my final thought, I feel this entire conversation boils back to the "which came first: the chicken or the egg" philosophy. In order to be rewarded, employees must produce. That's perfectly acceptable. However, in order to produce, employees want to be taken care of. Where/when did it get so f*cked up? Corporations have had the upper hand for decades, based on the simple fact people need to provide for themselves/their families. And now? The tides are changing. Again, no one has to automatically believe me, though the data proves it (I also encourage they do their own research). We are currently experiencing a record-setting influx of entrepreneurs, side hustlers, flippers, etc. And I'm sorry (not sorry), but if someone believes people are just upset they can't be freeloaders, I'd strongly encourage said person to truly reevaluate the world around them and research the facts. Or don't. It's on them.

Personally, I choose to invest effort into bridging the gap between corporations and employees. I believe there is a solid foundation for some type of balance. "A rising tide (should) lift all boats." It should also go without saying that I believe a boat should only rise if said boat actually contributes to the cause, is putting in hard work, and is a genuine asset.

P.S. At no point in time did I ever say, "F*ck THEM, THEY NEED TO CODDLE THEIR EMPLOYEES, HURRR." I'm simply encouraging people to be extremely supportive of their employees in order to maximize returns. After you've been extremely supportive of someone, if they still suck, if they try to take advantage of you, etc. then your solution is really easy: you fire their a$$ immediately. Don't confuse "treating your employees as humans" with "coddling/dick riding/etc." I may have empathy but I'm not an idiot. I will never encourage someone/a company to keep a toxic, useless employee, but I will forever encourage an employee to drop a shitty employer.

P.S.S. OP, again I am sorry for both you being fired and my participation in hijacking your thread. I sincerely hope you're able to bounce back from this setback ASAP. But always remember this: you are worth more than some shit job, so please do yourself a favor, and apply your skills and work ethic to something that benefits you and those around you. Good luck!

Unfortunately my SAAS project isn't going to create itself. It also seems you're looking for more of an opinion-based debate over a data-based debate. I also get the feeling you aren't the most open-minded person, so debating things with you seems pointless at this current point in time, thus instead of replying with thought and data, I've ultimately decided it isn't worth the energy. This will be my last response to/in this thread.

The wild part is, this is ultimately what my point/rant boils down to: emphasizing that most MAJOR CORPORATIONS are shit in regards to how they treat people, thus I either encourage entrepreneurship, or at the very least, working for a company that doesn't treat them as such.

In regards to the initial part of your post, when I sold my portion of the business (Feb. 2022), we had 3 employees in-store, and approximately 40 people working 100% remote, on backend stuff: processing orders, listing product, taking pictures of product, handling shipping, handling customer payments, handling customer complaints, responding to vendors/distributors, maintaining our social media accounts, etc. Unfortunately growth was slow for the initial ~3 years due to overhead costs and business-related loans.

Regardless of how this thread played out, some of you brought up extremely thought-provoking points/opinions. Thank you for aiding me in the push for additional self-growth and critical thinking. I appreciate that (and you) more than I'll ever be able to explain.
Very impressive lecture. I agree with you on everything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarcusRich

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 13, 2022
Indiana
People here are not going to like this take but here it is. You would have gotten the lay off even if you give a company your heart and soul. The business world is a harsh place to be when you’re not in control… and even then it is ruff. If you’re going to settle for slow lane McJobs then understand you’re very vulnerable maybe even more so than if you had what it takes to branch out on your own. Simple as that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.