The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I feel like I'm wasting my time

Anything related to matters of the mind

Marco Aurelio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 4, 2020
Italy
Two weeks ago I started University. I am Italian and I chose to study business at the University of Bologna, teached in English language. I decided to start it because it's really important for my parents and, in Italy, a college degree is still seen as fundamental to work. I don't really agree with that statement, but I decided to study business in order to learn how to manage a company, which may be really usefull in my fastlane journey. This university also offers the opportunity to add interesting things, like additional courses (entrepeneurship, public speaking etc) or internships abroad.
Last week I started to attend lectures of management, microeconomics and law and I am really disappointed. Maybe it's too early to say it, but I feel like all the things we are studying are useless, and the few that aren't I've already learned by reading books on my own. Before starting, I was hoping to meet a lot of interesting like minded people, but the ones I've met so far only think about partying and girls, have no idea what they are doing with their lives and don't even understand the things we study. They are future typical M.O.D.E.L. Citizens.
Now I don't really know what to do. If I dropped out, I wouldn't have any idea about where to start. The best advice which successful people give to young people like me is usually to get out of the comfort zone and to start to have as many experiences as possible, but really I wouldn't know where to start.
Maybe I should try to learn some useful skills online while I'm at university and find a part-time job to finance potential future businesses.
Ok I really needed to share those thoughts somewhere, I don't know if someone may be interested ahahah.
I read again what I wrote and it's actually very confusing and written in a bad English. I'm sorry for that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dario

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 14, 2012
I would try to make the best use of my time at Uni:
  • Studying (copywriting and marketing at first)
  • networking with successful people
  • not attending many parties but choosing the best ones only
  • starting some side-projects in order to learn how to become financially independent

Jasper S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2020
Chicagoland Area
I would definitely recommend finding and joining entrepreneurial groups while you are there. I was in my last semester of college when I discovered some of the resources, groups and people involved with entrepreneurship through the university. I wish I would have found out about this when I started, but sometimes such is life :happy:

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Ask yourself these 2 questions:
1) About Italian Market: What Can I Bring to the Italian Market Table?
2) About Time Management: Am I respecting my time? -> "Time is non-refundable"
-----------------------------------------
Make sure whatever your Niche/Field/Major is, it has to be Demanding in the Marketplace that way you can make money afterwords. Visualize what is going to happen in the next 3 years.
So try to understand and realize the Italian Market. The More the Merrier.
Do not just blindly go in and become an echo-chamber. If you do, it is a time waste.
-----------------------------------------
Quick Assessment:
1) Can you spot a Problem in the Italian Market/Gen Pop?
2) Can you offer something about it?
3) Can you help people by solving a problem?

Something like that

Of course all these above takes some time. Learn and Test/Experiment like a Mad Scientist.

lollo

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 20, 2021
Italy
Two weeks ago I started University. I am Italian and I chose to study business at the University of Bologna, teached in English language. I decided to start it because it's really important for my parents and, in Italy, a college degree is still seen as fundamental to work. I don't really agree with that statement, but I decided to study business in order to learn how to manage a company, which may be really usefull in my fastlane journey. This university also offers the opportunity to add interesting things, like additional courses (entrepeneurship, public speaking etc) or internships abroad.
Last week I started to attend lectures of management, microeconomics and law and I am really disappointed. Maybe it's too early to say it, but I feel like all the things we are studying are useless, and the few that aren't I've already learned by reading books on my own. Before starting, I was hoping to meet a lot of interesting like minded people, but the ones I've met so far only think about partying and girls, have no idea what they are doing with their lives and don't even understand the things we study. They are future typical M.O.D.E.L. Citizens.
Now I don't really know what to do. If I dropped out, I wouldn't have any idea about where to start. The best advice which successful people give to young people like me is usually to get out of the comfort zone and to start to have as many experiences as possible, but really I wouldn't know where to start.
Maybe I should try to learn some useful skills online while I'm at university and find a part-time job to finance potential future businesses.
Ok I really needed to share those thoughts somewhere, I don't know if someone may be interested ahahah.
I read again what I wrote and it's actually very confusing and written in a bad English. I'm sorry for that.
Bro do you attend Business And Economics course in Bologna?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any updates OP? Did you stay at Uni?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
"hey man, should I get my degree? I hear it's important for getting a good job"
"bologna"
"yeah that's my school, how did you know?"

5bd8c3302400004902991e58.jpeg

whats your major...bullshit?

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 28, 2019
"bologna"

View attachment 38078

Dude, the University of Bologna is literally the oldest university in the world and probably the most respected in Italy.

lollo

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 20, 2021
Italy
"bologna"

View attachment 38078

The name is "Business and Economics", we have exams like Micro-Macroeconomics, accounting, principle of law, commercial law, organizational behavior, statistics, corporate law. Interesting stuff, but I personally think it is necessary if you want to find a job, not necessary to create a Business. However, I think that if you work your a$$ off and manage to prioritize your fastlane journey WHILE in university, you're doing the right thing, as long as your "college education " doesn't put you in debt (here the cost is REALLY low compared to Americans colleges ) and doesn't take you too much time.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
From a student to a student, needs are everywhere. Try to help other students in whatever way.
So my suggestion is keep studying, see the painful point in the life of a university student and find a fast lane solution for that.

Marco Aurelio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 4, 2020
Italy
Any updates OP? Did you stay at Uni?
Hi MJ, thanks for asking.

I stayed at the university. I wrote the original post when lessons had just started, so I wasn’t sure that it was the right thing to do.
After some months we started to study extremely interesting stuff, so I decided to continue. Maybe they aren’t fundamental things to know to start a business and I could have learned them also in other ways, but I’m sure it will be extremely helpful in the future; also because in Italy it’s impossible to have credibility without a college degree.

Furthermore, as Lorenzo said, uni here is almost free, so I won’t be put in debt. I also have much free time, that I’m trying to use to learn new skills like web design, that I will soon be able to use to make a side hustle.

Considering all those factors I’m pretty sure that I’m on the right path to the Fastlane.

Marco Aurelio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 4, 2020
Italy
"bologna"

View attachment 38078

Lol what does this even mean? What concept did you try to express with this useless post?
If you are an ignorant person it's okay, but why would you attack a person without a reason? If you did a quick Google research you would understand that Bologna is one of the most important Italian cities and hosts one of the most important universities in Europe. Maybe it's too hard for you to think 10 seconds before writing random things and trying to act superior for no reason.

Also (as you would know if you read what I wrote) I never said I'm at university to find a good job, maybe you should study text comprehension.

dandy2902

New Contributor
May 12, 2021
I'm somehow empathy your story but I think those subjects are also important for your business basis. Try to find another way interesting your study to earn those subjects like peer learning, joining club or watching videos from Youtube for the same topic

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
As drop out from medschool who is just entering fastlane I have 2 tips.
Try to find an club at the uni that does stock trading, business, investment etc. There you will find likeminded people.
Also if you want to do something on the side, try working for McDonalds. There you will probably learn more on how to operate and manage a business than they teach you in Uni.

Lastly, see your education more on what you can learn underway and the people you meet than what they actually teach you.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Lol what does this even mean? What concept did you try to express with this useless post?
If you are an ignorant person it's okay, but why would you attack a person without a reason? If you did a quick Google research you would understand that Bologna is one of the most important Italian cities and hosts one of the most important universities in Europe. Maybe it's too hard for you to think 10 seconds before writing random things and trying to act superior for no reason.

Also (as you would know if you read what I wrote) I never said I'm at university to find a good job, maybe you should study text comprehension.
its a joke

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.