The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
but it feels like another excuse for not getting real results. Not saying it won't work, just saying I'm the kind of person that likes to jump in and make shit happen with real-world feedback.

image.png

That's one of the best pieces of value I've read on here. I do many different kinds of action faking that doesn't seem like action faking. The brain tricks you into thinking your "making progress" when the reality is your not actually accomplishing anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Defeat The Demons You Don't Know Exist.
Don't let fear & ego make you their bitch.​

Hey guys,

@The Grind brought up a great point in the post above. The mind really can trick us into thinking we're making progress by taking action. But what we need to take is useful action. I struggled with this for a long time.

It wasn't until I listened to what others were saying that the truth came out.

All progress is progress, and all of it can teach us something. But that doesn't mean it gets us closer to our goals. It's hard as hell to step back and ask the question, but if you want to move forward you have to know for sure.

Is what I'm doing actually working?
Is it really moving me forward?

Or is it just busy work?
Is it making real progress?
Or is it rooted in ego & fear?

Ego & Fear - The Undercover Demons

Two things make it incredibly hard for us to see the mistakes we're making.

1. Our Ego - The Mind's Master

When we put a lot of time, effort, and money into a thing, it's only natural to think we're making progress. Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. Unfortunately, finding out requires challenging our ego.

To make matters worse, it's damn near impossible to do it alone. Since we're knee deep in our project, our perspective is blurred. So, to get a serious reality check, we need a third-party opinion.

This is why I always consider feedback from others, even when I hate it.
(I almost always hate it.)

Usually the feedback goes something like this, "Dude, are you retarded? You're not making any money. You're giving up all your time. You're wasting money on stuff that doesn't matter. This project doesn't even have a clear outcome. How the F*ck will you know when you've achieved your goal?"

Our first instinct is to defend our position. It's human nature to protect the ego. But success isn't attached to our ego. Success doesn't give a shit about our pitiful little feelings.

If we want success, we have to acknowledge that we are not our ego.

We have to make a habit of ignoring everything we think we know. Everything that screams, rips, and tears at our hearts & stomachs. That voice that tells the world to F*ck off! This is the one time we have to ignore it.

Because if we can't ignore that voice, then we can't allow ourselves to test other perspectives. If we don't make a habit of restraining the ego, then we miss enormous opportunities for real growth & progress.

But, for the few (and I mean THE FEW) who are able to overcome the ego, even just for a moment...they can experience the shift in mindset that changes everything. They can make real progress, because they can test the truth, and know for sure.

Everyone Else Falls By The Wayside

You don't have to. Just acknowledge that you aren't your ego. Your ego isn't "yours". Your ego is just "the ego". It's separate from you. Choose to use it on your terms, or it'll make you it's bitch.

If you don't agree that's fine. But you better consider what I'm saying, because you can't afford to be wrong.

2. Fear That Binds Controls Our Minds

Fear fuels the ego. It powers the part of us that holds us back. Most of the time, we don't even recognize it. We don't know we're experiencing fear until we've crashed and burned.

It comes in many forms. Like when we get our first MOQ quote for $1,000 on a sample of 10 units. You know... when your heart sinks deep into the pit of your stomach, and you wonder, how do I know if it's worth it?

There's also a secondary fear. It's more subtle. It's hidden. It's the mind chatter that follows the physical sensation.

Maybe you've experienced it.
  • "That's way too much. I can't afford it."
  • "I'll have to wait until I earn more money."
  • "If it costs that much for a sample, I'll never afford the MOQ."
  • "What if I order it and it doesn't sell?
  • "I should keep searching for other products."
  • "I should see what the guys on the forum say."
  • "I should read more about importing before pulling the trigger."
This is what excuses and procrastination look like. They're founded in fear. Even when our minds don't carry on about it, we still feel it. We still feel that dark cloud hovering just over our path.

This is why we have to consider feedback from others. Fear clouds our judgment. Ego clouds our judgment. Most of the time we don't recognize them because we're front & center on the business battlefield. We're knee deep in chaos.

For others our excuses are vibrantly obvious. They take a bird's eye view. They see things from 14,000 feet. That means they can give us super valuable feedback that keeps us moving forward.

But unlike dealing with the ego, there's an extra step with fear. If you want to defeat fear you'll need more than an open mind.

To defeat fear you have to take action. You have to put foot to a$$, and actually do the shit that needs done.

It's one thing to acknowledge fear. It's a whole different game to confront it. You gotta have balls. Yep, even the girls. You gotta have grit. You gotta do what you gotta do, and there's no way around it.

If you wanna make money copywriting, you gotta apply to gigs & deliver.
If you wanna make money importing, you gotta order samples & MOQs.
If you wanna sell B2B you gotta pick up the phone and call people.
If you wanna sell expensive a$$ seminars, you gotta talk to others in person.

Learning is fine. Read & learn. Teach & learn. Practice & learn.

But when push comes to shove, you either confront the fear, or become fear's bitch.

In the words of Tallahassee, "It's time to nut up or shut up."

Translation:
Rule fear & ego, or be ruled. There is no in between. Everything else is action faking.

If You're Still Breathing, You're Still Alive.

Whatever your fear is. Whatever holds you back. It's time to confront it. If you don't know what's holding you back, then talk to someone on the forum. Ask for an outside opinion. It's the only way to know for sure.

Once You Know, Then Let It Go.

None of this stuff is scary. None of it will kill you.

Who F*cking cares if you sound like a moron on the phone. It's you and one other person who either buys your product, or forgets you as soon as they hang up. Either way it's not the end of the world.

Who cares if you blow $1,000 on shitty samples. You never leave with nothing. You get experience and confidence. (Maybe even a nice sample of foot cleansers if you're like me!)

Who cares if your copy sucks. Let them bitch about it. Give their money back. Then consider their feedback, and thank god you can finally move forward. You have to know your weak points to make them stronger.

Consider Feedback.
Control the Ego.
Confront Fears.

Defeat your demons and conquer the world.

We can talk about tactics 24/7. You can read every book on the market. But if you don't use the knowledge, your life won't change.

What fear will you confront today? What useful action will you take?

Just Do It.

BrenndenK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
Jul 11, 2013
Thank you SinisterLex for this awesome thread, and the value you've provided here. These posts are lessons in so many ways. You've tapped into something here, and I feel really motivated to move forward. I'm watching my job fall to chaos just as I put in my two weeks. I'm content knowing that I'm moving up and forward.

The content of your message is completely on-point and the delivery is A+.

The ego has been a big challenge for me this week. Every second my ego says "Should I really quit?"..

And I quietly answer with a smile. "Yes."

I also asked out a girl from work I consider very beautiful this week, and that's always been something I've struggled with.

STAY DRIVEN!

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Influence (Yourself & Others)
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
- The 48 Laws of Power
- The Art of War
- Leader Effectiveness Training
- Get Selected for Special Forces
- The Mystery Method
- Thick Face Black Heart
- A Guide to Rational Living
- Tribes
- Get Anyone to do Anything
- Predictably Irrational
- Cashvertising
- Breakthrough Advertising
- Magical Words that Sell

NLP
- The User's Manual for the Brain Volume I & II
- Mind Lines: Magical Lines to Transform Minds
- Anything by Richard Bandler
- EVERYTHING by Milton Erickson (His focus is actually hypnosis)

Personality Typing
- Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self Discovery
- The Wisdom of the Enneagram
- Personality Selling (Mixes NLP, Hypnosis & Personality Typing)

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Probably means they had the most impact on my life.

As for courses, I'm about halfway through the online NLP Practitioner course at iNLP Center. Its $450 and comes with certification at the end (great for empty certificate fields... hint hint.) The material is top notch and utilizes text, audio & video. It's self-paced and easy to understand.

It also has "Stealth Missions" which are assignments you carry out in the real world and report back in the classroom. This way you get direct experience if you've got the kahones to try it.

If any military spouses are reading this, be sure to email iNLP and tell them to get signed up with MYCAA military spouse scholarship program. Its $4,000 of free money. All they have to do is send their accreditation and their curriculum to the MYCAA staff.
@SinisterLex , Wow thank a bunch :D !

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
He could set up an agency I guess with the right team. But its early days atm

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why not to outsource more orders if you can get more clients?
I know you didn’t ask for advice. I’m sure you know what you’re doing.

To be honest, it's because I wasn't sure where this was going. My first initiative was just building capital for whatever the next business attempt would be. But now, it's growing super fast and I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

Turned down several offers this week. Not even bothering with applications now. Took on a new client this morning. Writing a F*cking commercial... wtf?!?!

Raised rate to $100/hr.

An agency isn't far-fetched anymore.

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
To be honest, it's because I wasn't sure where this was going. My first initiative was just building capital for whatever the next business attempt would be. But now, it's growing super fast and I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

Turned down several offers this week. Not even bothering with applications now. Took on a new client this morning. Writing a F*cking commercial... wtf?!?!

Raised rate to $100/hr.

An agency isn't far-fetched anymore.
I get that. Please, keep me in mind if you'll need more hands.lol

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex , Last question (dont be annoyed :D) what books do you recommend on learning copywriting =)?

Ha!

Bro, I'm not annoyed. I started this thread to help.

I don't have an extensive library of copy books yet. Remember, I didn't have any experience with copy before a few weeks ago.

That said, one of the books, Magical Words that Sell, is a good one.

But I started with Cashvertising. It'll get you up to speed fast. Right now I'm about halfway through Breakthrough Advertising.

Take notes, and take your time working through em'. These 3 books may be the most powerful copywriting tools on the planet.

Other than that I'm building a small list to read. I read/study 1 to 1.5 hours every morning first thing. It keeps it fresh in my mind throughout the day. The rest of the day I find ways to apply the knowledge.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Hey @SinisterLex great thread! Your success is inspiring, and I like how you tie the relevance of NLP and social training with your process.

Are you still doing transcription?

Edit: I re-read the second page. I see you're doing copy writing, not transcription.

On oDesk, did you start with fixed-price gigs, or did you dive straight into larger projects with hourly pay?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Multiple people have mentioned this needs to be GOLD. So here it is. (I have to admit, I haven't poured through it, been kinda busy.)

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
Thanks for your comment and advice.

Haha I'm too poor to pay for each thing like that, I can create logo for someone. :D

I just downloaded some books about copywriting and listen english talks at least an hour a day.

Copywriting is interesting field so I don't want to miss this.

BTW, is it very visible that I have not yet very rich experience in english language? :DD
English isn't my home language, but my English sale-emails sound good for selling my winter stuff in summer even. If your writing is good in your native one, it'd be ok in English too. Well, when I feel I cannot write it myself, I hire someone from the USA.lol

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey @SinisterLex great thread! Your success is inspiring, and I like how you tie the relevance of NLP and social training with your process.

Are you still doing transcription?

Edit: I re-read the second page. I see you're doing copy writing, not transcription.

On oDesk, did you start with fixed-price gigs, or did you dive straight into larger projects with hourly pay?

Nah, no fixed price. There's a few reasons I prefer hourly only.

First, fixed price doesn't have guarantees. If you do the work and the client doesn't pay, it's harder to get your money. If they pay and you take off, it's harder for them to get the product. For transparency it's easier to go with hourly.

Hourly gigs take screenshots as you work. They also let you add manual time (though I never use it). This let's the client see your progress as you move through the project.

Hourly gigs offer a money-back guarantee if certain requirements are met. Fixed price doesn't (as far as I know).

Fixed price gigs only show the price of the project on your profile. If it's $20, then your profile shows you earned $20. Even with 5 stars, this really doesn't send clients a good message about your quality.

Hourly gigs record your hourly rate. Even if you only work 1 hour at $20/hr. it shows $20/hr as your rate. It's really a matter of perspective. If the client looks and sees 5 stars and $20 earned, then the gig was probably small and insignificant. But if they see 5 stars and $20/hour earned, that sends a completely different message. It tells them you're worth $20/hr, not just $20.00.

I do accept some fixed price gigs. But there's a catch...

Before I accept a gig, I interview the client. When I'm certain we're a match, I ask him to adjust the gig to my rate. If it's a $50.00 fixed price project and my current rate is $25/hr, I'd ask him to adjust it to an hourly project at $25/hr and bill for 2 hours.

This way he pays the exact same amount, but you benefit too because it gives you social proof people are willing to pay your rate.

One last thing I like about hourly...

If you over-quote a little on hours and it takes less time than you thought, then you can complete the project and actually save the client money. The amount you lose is insignificant compared to the impact you make.

You make up for it on the backend with 5 star feedback, more clients, and higher rates.

On Pay.

My first gig was transcription. It was $5.00/hr, and I had to persuade him to raise his price to that haha.

Just raise your hourly rate a few dollars each time you take a new client. Wait for big jumps until you have several 5 star feedback ratings.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What Are You So Afraid Of?
How to Overcome Fear of Failure by Failing.
Yesterday someone PM'd asking if I could relate to feeling scared. He said he knows this is possible, but feels like if he just jumps in it won't work. So, today I just wanna let you know one thing...

Success is F*cking scary!

Problem is, there's only one way to grow. It's called courage. Courage is when you experience fear and decide to go on anyway.

Have you ever read a storybook hero who didn't have to fight a dragon, an alien, or an entire army to claim his glory? No, because heroship is only awarded those who overcome the impossible. It's reserved for those who are scared as shit, but get the job done anyway. Courage forges heroes.

If You Never Take Risks, You Never Win Big.

It's that simple. If you don't swing for the fences, you won't hit home runs. If you don't approach girls you won't get laid. If you don't take some kind of action to achieve your goals. You won't achieve them.

Growing is scary. Change is scary. Doing things different is scary. All of it makes us uncomfortable because we don't have any guarantees. We don't know if things will work. We don't know if we'll fail. But you know what... Discomfort forges heroes.

How I Became A Social Introvert.

Eight years ago if you asked me to walk into a full room of strangers and become the center of attention, I would of called you crazy. That's if I talked to you at all, because I'm a die-hard introvert who hates talking to people!

Back then I didn't know anything about anything. Just a scared kid. But I was learning about body language, and starting conversations. I'd studied for two weeks. Then I read this...

Go out and find someone to talk to right now. It doesn't matter what it's about. Talk to someone while standing in line. Talk to someone at the mall. Talk to anyone about anything. Approach them in 3 seconds and start a conversation. You have to start it, not them. Do it now."

That's when shit got real. Suddenly I was face to face with my worst nightmare. Sure, I'd learned all kinds of neat stuff like icebreakers, attention getters, convo starters etc. But none of my studies taught me how to approach someone and do it!

This was the make or break point. This was the choice. Either I go out right now, talk to people, & risk looking like a fool, or I don't, and always wonder what would of been.

So, I swallowed the lump in my throat, got dressed and went to town. 3 seconds. I walked into a store up to the cashier, smiled big and said, "Hi there!"

Cool I just started a conversation!

Then she smiled back, "Hi, how can I help you?"

Shit! WTF do I say now?!

I was so focused on starting the conversation, I forgot how to keep it going! Seconds turned into a lifetime. A blank stare covered my glazed face. "I uh..." EPIC FAILURE!!!

Eventually I caught my breath, smiled again and said, "I don't know if you can help me. I just want to ask how your day is going." You know what happened after that?

The cashier beamed from ear to ear. It turns out, I was the first person who wasn't just another boring customer, and we talked for like 20 minutes. By the time it was over I had a new friend!

After that I kept at it. Sometimes I failed miserably, but most tries were successful. Every try was a chance to learn, to grow, and to get better.

Fast forward to now. I still hate talking in person. I still hate talking on the phone. But I can do both, and because I practiced, I can do them pretty well. If you send me into a room full of strangers, I'll walk right to the middle of the group and take command, and by the time I leave, people remember me.

You know why they remember?

Because the one who risks failure - the one who proves his courage. That's the one that stands out. That's the one that makes a difference. That's the one everyone else wants to be.

Few have the balls to try, but the universe rewards those that do.

Not All Of My Actions Ended So Well...

I'm 28 years old and already have a lifetime of crazyass experiences. I never let fear stop me because living is too much fun. That doesn't mean I haven't experienced failure along the way. Here are some things I can say that most people can't, because I took some kind of risk in the form of action or money, (or both).

Notice how most of these end in some kind of failure.

• Lit 10,000 firecrackers in Hardees parking lot. Cops arrived a short time later.
  • Speeding 10mph over. Ran from cops. Whole police force arrived a short time later.
  • Accidentally flipped off some guy on the autobahn. Turns out he was like the general of their police force. Instantly sped off. Unfortunately, the exit I took put me right in the police station parking lot. Biggest WTF moment of my life.
  • Quit my job to start a Lego portrait business with 0 business experience. Crashed and burned.
  • Became a combatives instructor. Spent $3,000 and never sold my services.
  • Imported stuff from China. Spent $1,000 and never sold a single product.
  • Spent $2,000 buying from thrift stores on credit, sold some stuff, but not enough.
  • Had sex in a park. Divorced that angry broad a short time later.
  • Snowboarded off the biggest cliff ever with 0 experience. Lost my snowboard in 10 seconds, face planted against the mountain and rolled head over heels to the bottom...
  • Became a published author.
  • Became a paratrooper.
  • Became a CPR Instructor.
  • Became a publishing company, spent thousands, published hundreds of books, gained 600+ members and put it all on hold.
  • Became a badass copywriter. Earning money so fast I'll pay off all debts in like a month...
There's probably a million stories I could tell beyond that stuff. All because I risked failure. Of the stuff on that list, 80% of it failed. But you know what... I'm still alive, and I'm doing better than ever before.

Failure Isn't The End.

It's just a bump in the road. Usually it gives us hints about what we need to change.

If we let fear stop us, then we never fail. But we also don't succeed.

Fear & Failure Forge Heroes.

If you wanna get where you're going, you gotta face your fears. You gotta accept that shits scary, but you also gotta make a choice to press on anyway.

VERY few people have what it takes.

The few that do end up realizing things didn't turn out so bad after all.

Now It's Your Turn.

What are you afraid of today?

Reply to this post. Tell us. Tell us what action you're avoiding because of fear of failure.

Do that thing you're afraid of. Do it right now!

Then report back and let us know how it went.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
Now It's Your Turn.

What are you afraid of today?

Reply to this post. Tell us. Tell us what action you're avoiding because of fear of failure.

Do that thing you're afraid of. Do it right now!

Then report back and let us know how it went.

Just Do It.
Probably, I'm afraid to invest money in business because I've never had/saw big money yet.lol

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
@SinisterLex Congratulations! You're in demand, you provide a great service, and you're able to raise your hourly rate to a level that few people will ever see. I'm sure money chasers will find that titillating, so can you clarify something?

How are you able to charge this premium, and why do people still knock on your door instead of working with someone else at a lower rate? How do you stay at the top of your game, thus distinguishing yourself from other copywriters?

Thanks bud :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex Congratulations! You're in demand, you provide a great service, and you're able to raise your hourly rate to a level that few people will ever see. I'm sure money chasers will find that titillating, so can you clarify something?

How are you able to charge this premium, and why do people still knock on your door instead of working with someone else at a lower rate? How do you stay at the top of your game, thus distinguishing yourself from other copywriters?

Thanks bud :)

It's a combination of several things, but I'll try to clear it up a bit.

Filters

Clients filter by price, reviews, country, etc. So by the time they finish filtering, they've got a much narrower selection. The more criteria I meet, the higher on the list I rise. By the time they get to me, they've already cut out a lot of noise. Since they were looking for my price range in the first place, it's not a shock when they find it.

Perceived Value

Since it's a copywriting gig, I fill out the entire bio area. I am selling copywriting after all, so it only makes since to write a sales letter. Plus I can backlink to it as a sample of my writing. When they contact me based on my bio then I already know they like my work, so I don't really have to negotiate on price.

The rule of perceived value is that the first price a customer see's is anchored in their mind as the actual worth of that product or service. If they see $50/hr on my profile and I only charge $25/hr later, then it's like they're getting a deal, and not like I'm new. Whatever price they see, is what the copy is worth. But you gotta be able to back it up!

The rest of my profile is filled out too. There's 5 or 10 tests and most are top 10% to 20% rank. Some are even lower than that. There's a few samples of my work. I don't have any education or certifications listed currently.

Social Proof

Once I had 5 star feedback, things got a lot easier. I work hard to build rapport with clients so I actually get more than just 5 stars. They leave great reviews too. This is the real bread and butter, because it shows they were so happy they actually spent time writing out their praise.

Hours billed and the number of gigs also show social proof. Since I have quite a few hours and about 7 jobs in progress it shows that other people are using my services.

Scarcity

My bio mentions multiple times that my time is limited and that I only work with high-value clients. I capitalize on the number of gigs I'm working by making sure anyone who reads my bio knows if they don't act fast they'll miss the opportunity. When they see that others are clearly hiring me, they want in before it's too late!

Money-Back Guarantee

I offer a money-back guarantee on all work. Odesk already offers money-back guarantee on my projects anyway, so I just remind clients that it's available by mentioning it in my bio. Don't ask how you get money-back guarantee status. I have no idea. Maybe because of 5 star feedback.

Hope this helps!

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I'd like to make a cautionary note for anyone who wants to get started on oDesk.

You will have to submit your profile for review from the oDesk Trust & Security Team before you can begin working.

It must have:
An overview
Portfolio (preferred)
Completed Tests
Employment History
Education (preferred)

DO NOT submit an incomplete profile. I accidentally submitted my profile on February 26th, before it was complete, in lieu of saving it as a draft...WOOPS! As a result, the oDesk Trust & Security Team flagged it as "incomplete," and my account has been suspended until further review. I completed the profile the following day, and my case has been escalated twice in an effort to get my privileges reinstated A.S.A.P. It has been 14 days without a resolution.

That is half a month of missed opportunities. Do it right the first time, and learn from my mistake! It will save you time and grief.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
To Win the Lottery you Have to Buy a F*cking Ticket

I love this thread, Lex is making fist fulls of freelancer cash at the moment and all because he switched his mindset. You will see many detractors on this thread or this forum saying "but yeah this isn't fastlane" but as you saw in my title, first you have to buy the ticket.

If your going to work for someone then doing it by writing copy is pretty excellent, as these copywriting skills will become essential in your future fastlane idea, no need to worry about hiring a great copywriter at some ludicrous rate.

I always thought that I could just hire a copywriter when I needed one, I have tried and failed to find great copywriters at a fee I can afford and now I am learning copy myself because nobody knows the customer or product better than myself.

INSIDERS Copy Tip from Me:

I'm not a great writer, I am a pretty shitty writer and lack imagination to truly be great. But it doesn't stop me from writing copy, this tip will make you an awesome copywriter faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

1. Find awesome sales letters from the masters such as Halbert, Ogilvy or anything that is superb.
2. Use it as a template, be a sales letter hacker, and follow the style of the letter but replace with your product and information.
3. Read over your masterpiece and get some feedback (this is where a good buddy on Skype is handy)

I promise you that this works. Lex can testify as he has seen my first copy writing and the new copy using this technique. You can even use this technique for writing blog posts or any piece of writing.

Try it today, make one sales letter for your product or future product. Post it on here if you want some feedback.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
This took me 45 mins to write this morning, anyone who has read Halbert ads will recognize this...

Sales Copy for print ad

Title: Amazing new software to give your hotel website a face lift without the expense and costs of an agency

Have you ever thought about having a face lift? No, I don’t mean your face but your hotel’s “face”?
If so then perhaps you should wait.
Website design, as you know, is very expensive. And many hoteliers feel like it’s a big hassle and unneeded expense. Luckily there is a new piece of software on the market that builds a modern hotel website without the expense of designers, agencies or freelancers.

This product having being developed by a small hotelier in Wales, is already in use by many locations all across the country, In fact they absolutely swear by it. Gwyn Bowyer, Debbie Harries and Sally Jones are just a few of the small hoteliers that enthusiastically endorse this product.

“… Actually, his website looks so good his competitors are scrambling to update theirs lest they lose even more business”

One of our first customers, a small hotel in Wales, updated their website and booking engine with this product and saw a great increase in business and direct booking, simultaneously reducing commissions and increasing revenue. Actually, his website looks so good his competitors are scrambling to update theirs lest they lose even more business.

The competitors website and booking engine certainly wasn’t ugly, it was average. Unfortunately average doesn’t sell rooms well especially up against great or excellent.
So what is this product that had the competition sweating so much?

Developed using the latest javascript technology and top design talent, this product certainly isn’t cheap, it works like magic and can run your whole business. If your already familiar with Eviivo or Little Hotelier then this product should be very familiar, but where they left off this continues for that extra mile.

But let’s not go off course here, today I am focusing on the website feature that lets you just type in your details and upload your pictures and it produces a beautiful website which is responsive, fast and ready to go.

One of the great things about it is that there is no guess work, you just follow the steps and it “knows” what to do by itself.

The best thing about it is that it can change your business overnight, the company feels so secure in this promise that they back it up with a 100% guarantee.

Would you like to use this product in your hotel or B&B? Would you like to have a beautiful website but without the expense of a web designer? Simple fill in a quick form on the website today www.hotelwebsite.com and see your website in action today.

Remember, You can’t lose money but you can gain substantial business. Please quote “DoItRight2015” for a bonus. All new signups will receive professional copywriting from our resident copywriter.

Important. Our guarantee extends for three months and if you don’t see any uptick in business from using the product you will receive a full refund. You won’t see any other company offer such a comprehensive guarantee.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'd like to make a cautionary note for anyone who wants to get started on oDesk.

You will have to submit your profile for review from the oDesk Trust & Security Team before you can begin working.

It must have:
An overview
Portfolio (preferred)
Completed Tests
Employment History
Education (preferred)

DO NOT submit an incomplete profile. I accidentally submitted my profile on February 26th, before it was complete, in lieu of saving it as a draft...WOOPS! As a result, the oDesk Trust & Security Team flagged it as "incomplete," and my account has been suspended until further review. I completed the profile the following day, and my case has been escalated twice in an effort to get my privileges reinstated A.S.A.P. It has been 14 days without a resolution.

That is half a month of missed opportunities. Do it right the first time, and learn from my mistake! It will save you time and grief.

Damn bro,

Sorry to hear of your troubles! Mine wasn't fully filled out until probably the second full week of gigs. Also, I still don't have any education listed. Hardly anything as far as employment history goes too.

I've heard of others having problems with the account suspension stuff. One of the guys that hired me got suspended. I got paid, but it took longer for the funds to come through and I haven't heard from him since.

I hope everything gets fixed with your account! In the meantime you might try starting up on Elance as an alternative solution. I know they merged, but they might still allow separate profiles.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Dude... well done on the Gold. It's well deserved. I can't keep up with the knowledge bombs you're dropping, and the pace you're moving. I'll have to come back and read this when I've an hour or two free!

Great work.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Two Face - The Other Side Of Copy

Unless you live in a box, you've watched Batman. Cool. Then you remember the character Harvey Dent, better known as Two-Face. If not, look him up. He's a supervillain who's face is split down the middle. One side has charming good-looks, and a smile. The other is a mixture of molten rot, flesh & bone fused together by acid destruction.

From one angle he's a man with a great personality and the world at his feet. From the other he's a monster with a violent temper ready to wipe out the planet. But what really makes him dangerous is his ability to use both sides to reach his goals.

Copywriting Is Like Two-Face

There's two sides to copy that sells. Both sides have unique traits. Both are powerful. But both must be used together if you want to make an impact. Unfortunately most people skip a side completely...

The Dark Side Of Copy

This is the side most people focus on. It's the format, style, fonts, sections, and the actual techniques. It's the story-telling, and word-weaving. It's all the dirty, grimy, rotten parts of the actual copywriting process.

This is what you learn when you start reading books, copying sales letters, taking courses etc.

The dark side of copy focuses on big, bold headlines, short sentences, and snappy text. It focuses on writing words and phrases in the correct order so your prospects make it from one line to the next until they reach the end of your ad.

It's very useful & very powerful. But not alone.

The Light Side Of Copy

The other side, the side most people skip, is the human element. Bold headlines and snappy text may get attention, and they may even get interest, but what they don't do is tap into human desires.

This side of copy is the friendly face. The connections, rapport, and relationships. It's the part that shows prospects who you are, while helping define who they are too.

To get good at this side you have to extend your practices. You have to move beyond the realm of simple tactics and techniques. This part is where your own personality comes into play.

To be great at the light side you can't be a robot. You have to learn how people work. What makes them tick. Why they do the things they do. You have to tap into their energy with your own.

It involves customer service, friendship, desire, and societal roles. It's not just about what you say. It's about how you say it. This side is all about relationships and the experience.

Copy's True Power Is Only Released When You Understand & Implement Both Sides.

You may know everything about structure, word flow, headlines, and design, but if you don't know how to give people what they want, or what they need, then your copy sucks.

On the flip side, you can be awesome at dealing with people, motivating, and getting them involved, but if your writing is poor, and doesn't utilize best practices, the message won't translate and the energy fades.

If You're Serious About Learning To Write Copy That Sells...

You have to be ready to learn the whole process.

30 Day challenges are great, and you'll definitely get down and dirty with form.

Just remember to read between the lines and learn the human side too.

In copywriting Balance is key.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a writer that wants to get started fast on Odesk in content writing.

You'll take over a simple content gig I've done from the start.

It's not a lot of money, but it's super easy extra cash in your pocket.

Plus it's a way to make your first dollar, first hours, and first feedback.

You aren't working under me or anything. I just don't have time for it anymore.

Need someone to take over starting Sunday.

PM me if you're up for it.

D

DeletedUser12

Do you ever have to do any research for your writing (like familiarizing yourself with a certain industry or product line)? If so, do you charge for research time?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Do you ever have to do any research for your writing (like familiarizing yourself with a certain industry or product line)? If so, do you charge for research time?

Yeah, there's a lot of research involved. You have to know the market so you can tap into their desires.

Some copywriters charge for research. I've been on the fence about it, and haven't really charged for it so far. But, I'll start charging for it on future clients, unless they already have everything I need to know about the market from the start.

Understanding the market may be more important than the copy itself. Since it takes your time, it's worth charging for. But if you're just starting out it's an easy way to over-deliver if you don't charge for it.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How to Get Feedback so Good It Sells Your Next Client for You.

Hey guys,

You wanna start fast on Odesk or any other public review site, then you need 5 star feedback and it can't be fake. People see right through fake. So, you need to know what to say, and when to say it, so your clients leave feedback so good you don't have to explain your rates to the next guy.

Start by Understanding People

Most people don't leave feedback unless you piss them off, or give them an experience so mind-blowing, they'd be doing a social injustice by not sharing it.

So, the first step is avoid pissing them off, and the second is to make them really happy.

It's all about the experience and it starts from your very first contact. Clients are super used to freelancers sending half-assed cover letters that talk about their experience, education, and a bunch of other boring shit.

You have to be the pink elephant, the purple cow, the publicity stunt etc. You have to stand out from the very first time they open your cover letter. But that's not exactly easy when you can't even make words bold (on Odesk).

Standing Out Starts With Your Headline.

There's 2 headlines that make you stand out. The first just re-uses keywords from the job posting to tap into their needs. For instance if they say:

"Small company seeks content writing Ninja with background in Wordpress. Site goes live next week. Must hire ASAP!"

Your headline might be:

"Awesome Content Writer and Wordpress Developer Guru Ready to Deliver When You Are. Let's Get Started!"

They already know what they want/need, so you just show you give it to them. They're ready to buy. All they need are those key words.

Still, I like to associate feelings with desires. By adding positive words like "Awesome" beside "Content Writer", or "Guru" after "Developer" the quality and the skill are associated subconsciously. This is how you start building the total experience.

The other way to get attention is with creativity. But, make sure you still tap their desires because creativity without desire = "This guy is retarded..." Using the job from above, here's how a creative headline might go:

"Awesome Content Writing Wordpress Developer Guru That Can Start Right Now. And I Smell Good Too!"

You still tap their desires, but you add a little flare, a little personality. It's all about the little things that set you apart. The little things that show you're a cut above the rest.

The Bulk of Your Interactions

Once you get their attention, it's time to make them feel special. Every single thing you say needs to scream IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!

If you need clarification on something, don't just ask. Ask and build the experience at the same time.

Bad = "How many words should the article be?"

Good = "I really want to make sure I understand your needs. So I can give you exactly what you want, can you tell me how long your article should be?"

Maybe this sounds corny to you, but client's don't read it that way. They read it as, "holy shit this guy actually cares about my thoughts, and values my opinion." This adds on to the total experience.

Every interaction you have with the client. Even the smallest little thing...MUST be YOU focused.

Final Delivery - End of Contract - Securing 5 Star Feedback

You worked hard to give them what they want. Your product and service are good. You've built the total experience. The final step is sealing the deal by indirectly confirming their feedback before they even think about submitting it.

After you send the product, you have to remind them why they like you in the first place. Here's how I do it.

"Hey John,

I've just finished your content. There's 2 documents attached. The first is a Word file, and the second is a PDF version for your convenience. Should there be any corrections, let me know and I'll fix them for free.
I've truly enjoyed working for you. This was an excellent experience, and I can't wait to work for you again.

Whenever you're ready to end the contract, I'll leave 5 star feedback and a great review so other freelancers know you're legit, and will be willing to work with you in the future.

Thanks again,

Lex"

Behind the Scenes

The closing statement above does a lot of stuff. By now you should be talking to the client on a semi-personal level (such as first name basis). If you can give something extra for free (like a PDF version of the text) do it. It invokes the power of a proven psychological tactic called reciprocation that makes them feel a strong pull to return the favor. You give to them, now they give to you.

Keep it YOU focused. You don't work with the client. You work for the client. In reality this isn't true, but we don't give a shit about reality. We care about the total experience and how it appears to the client.

Finally, let them know you'll leave 5 star feedback. That way they don't worry about whether you'll give them less than 5 stars. That's right, they're just as worried about it as you are, because bad feedback for them = higher prices on freelance bids. Ease their fears, and make it easy for them to like you.

Summary

It's all about the experience. It's all about them, not you. It's all about over-delivering, and confirming their experience at every single interaction no matter how big or small. Just focus on them, give them what they want, make it awesome, and you'll get great feedback every single time.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.