The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to know when to enter a Market & Market Testing

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
A little bit about me first: I have a strong e-ecommerce background (6 years), and have been trying to find an under served niche online. I have no doubt that I could build, run, and market an e-commerce website. However, finding the niche has been the hard part. I had identified one niche, but the barriers to entry at this time are way too high for me as I have very little capital.

I strongly believe I have found another under served niche that will be slightly easier to break into. The reason I stumbled upon the niche is my friend Jon, a fellow e-commerce guy, told me there is no place to buy _________ online Sure enough, he's right. I've been doing as much research into the niche as I can, but I'm not sure at what point I should dive in head first. The niche itself is pretty big, but almost no one is running PPC ads, and very few people are ranking for industry related key words. The problem lies in that the main product itself is fairly complicated, and can be seasonal. Think of one of the products like a Tennis Racquet (I use to work for Tennis-warehouse.com). Tennis racquets come in a variety of grip sizes, and then you need to pick your string and string tension. While tennis veterans will already know their grip size, string, and tensions, many people will need help picking the right options for their racquet. This is similar for the niche I'm looking into.

Additionally, several high-end manufacturers of my main product do not like their products being sold online. They claim they believe only pro shops should sell their products (similar to high-end golf clubs). While you can advertise their products online, they will pull your right to sell their products if they find you violating the agreement.

My question is...how do I know if this can be a fast lane business? I believe it looks that way, but am only about 30% sure. I'd like to be 40-60% sure before I dive in head and foot. Just to get a site up and running and testing the market I'm looking at 4-6 grand (of which I only have about $1500 at the moment right now).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
We can't really help you without knowing what it is. You could be selling golf balls to swim caps for all we know. Can't really help without more info on the product. When to dive into a market...I say as soon as you can. Markets have there ups and downs, if you jump in the market when it's up. You run the risk of it dropping back to the low side by the time you get everything up and running. What all will you be sellling, you mention high-end manufacturers. What about low-middle, could you use them to establish credibility while working on getting the high-end manufacturers on board.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm hesitant to post it on here for obvious reasons (although I'm well aware that every idea needs proper execution to be successful).

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Why is it going to cost 4-6 grand to set up your website?? Can't you just set up a simple wordpress based site to test out the market and if it's successful, upgrade from there?

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
4 grand?
Test out your idea with a $250 website.

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago... maybe it can help you somewhat.

Get something up... but don't pay 4 grand for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Bro.

My site cost me $120 to set up. Yesterday, I got a customer. Wordpress layout, didn't pay a dime in PPC.

You don't need no $6k, I guarantee it.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
It's not just ONE product, it's an entire line of products (none that I'm currently manufacturing). To get a decent site up, I can design it, I just need someone to integrate it with Big Commerce (which can be had for $2-3k). I'm talking about coming an online e-commerce retailer dedicated to the market. My goal is be the #1 resource and place to buy these products online...and there's quite a few products to be sold.

This tennis-warehouse.com for tennis gear, but in a completely different, underserved niche. a $250 test wordless site won't do anything for me.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So what exactly do you need to get a customer?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
A website, essentially. I guess I'm confused as to what you're asking, exactly.

I know I can get a customer. My goal for any new venture is $5 million in sales in 5 years. I want to be as sure as I can be that I can reach that mark.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I'm not an e-commerce guy, but I don't understand why a simple WP site won't do for testing purposes. But either way, I wish you the best of luck man!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.