The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How tf do I open my eyes?

Anything related to matters of the mind

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
Everytime I post I feel ignorant and dumb, because it feels like there's some kind of information or action that is obvious to others but that I'm completely oblivious to.

I've seen that value is the way to any kind of success, and that the point isn't to make money but to help, to provide to others, but I'm completely blind to the needs of others.

I've lived my entire life as a hardcore consumer, everything is focused around me me me, and I have no idea on how to break out of this mindset, to start looking at others and see ideas and ways to relieve people of their pains.

Even this post could be considered just another lashing out of the consumer mindset, but still, knowing that's the case I still remain blinded.

I've tried something and I'll keep going at it, because it kind of is providing value, but the amount of value it provides is so miniscule and has very little hypothesis of actually scaling up that at this point it's just something I'm doing in order to say I'm doing, but the thing is that I'll just go back to the same thing of saying "oh I don't know how to provide value" or "I don't have any ideas" or any of the other thousand excuses I could come up with.

I've gotten some ideas on past things I could do, but all of them seem like things that aren't applicable in my country, there's no lawns to clean up, no garage sales to flip or any other thing, but the thing is if I just keep asking for ideas I'm just helping the symptoms, and not fixing the actual underlying issue.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've lived my entire life as a hardcore consumer

So every time you buy something, why not look at it from the perspective of WHO you are buying from?

Why are you buying?
What value do you perceive?
What compelled you to go from interested, to buyer?
How did this company get started?

As a consumer, you need a producer to deliver your needs. That's how you start looking at this from a new perspective.

Instead of just blindly thinking about the meal you're eating, think about how it was prepared. Start thinking like a chef.

btcx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Oct 24, 2021
New York
Stop making excuses. There's opportunity everywhere. You are just being lazy as hell and have it better than 99% of the world considering you have better English than half of actual native English speakers and living in a rich, European 1st world country.

I'll help and since your looking for ideas, I'll give you one:
I saw one of your older posts and you said your from Portugal. There's lots of rich expats and digital nomads from US and other 1st world countries moving to Portugal with this 'Golden Visa' or working there on remote jobs.

You could start a agency type business and offer them guidance and help them with the visa (provide lawyer references and help deal with paperwork), scout a 'good' location based on what's important to them for example.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I saw one of your older posts and you said your from Portugal. There's lots of rich expats and digital nomads from US and other 1st world countries moving to Portugal with this 'Golden Visa' or working there on remote jobs.

You could start a agency type business and offer them guidance and help them with the visa (provide lawyer references and help deal with paperwork), scout a 'good' location based on what's important to them for example.

Great idea.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Everytime I post I feel ignorant and dumb, because it feels like there's some kind of information or action that is obvious to others but that I'm completely oblivious to.

I've seen that value is the way to any kind of success, and that the point isn't to make money but to help, to provide to others, but I'm completely blind to the needs of others.

I've lived my entire life as a hardcore consumer, everything is focused around me me me, and I have no idea on how to break out of this mindset, to start looking at others and see ideas and ways to relieve people of their pains.

Even this post could be considered just another lashing out of the consumer mindset, but still, knowing that's the case I still remain blinded.

I've tried something and I'll keep going at it, because it kind of is providing value, but the amount of value it provides is so miniscule and has very little hypothesis of actually scaling up that at this point it's just something I'm doing in order to say I'm doing, but the thing is that I'll just go back to the same thing of saying "oh I don't know how to provide value" or "I don't have any ideas" or any of the other thousand excuses I could come up with.

I've gotten some ideas on past things I could do, but all of them seem like things that aren't applicable in my country, there's no lawns to clean up, no garage sales to flip or any other thing, but the thing is if I just keep asking for ideas I'm just helping the symptoms, and not fixing the actual underlying issue.
You mention "ideas" a couple of times, and say you're focused around "me me me".

I think looking for ideas is why you're "completely blind to the needs of others".

Your title even asks "how do I open my eyes".

It sounds to me like you're not "seeing" people.

Maybe go out of you way to practice "giving thanks"?

We make sure our kids say thanks when the waitress takes our order, and when they bring the order. We make sure they say thanks when the shop-keeper gives them their sweets and change.

It teaches our kids to "see" people, and observe what those people are doing.

It's a safe first way for them to get over their shyness and speak up since it's almost guaranteed to get a positive reaction.

They're starting to learn the power of giving, and the effect they can have on other people by giving something (in this case something as simple as a "thank you").

Unbeknown to them it's slowly moving them from team consumer to team producer.

You can give thanks in the forum too.

You joined about 10 days ago and have posted 9 times, mostly in your own thread.

Have you read any other threads? Did any of them help you? Did any give you aha moments?

Did you drop a Like when something helped you? Did you reply saying "Thanks" and explaining how it helped you?

This might help:

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
So every time you buy something, why not look at it from the perspective of WHO you are buying from?

Why are you buying?
What value do you perceive?
What compelled you to go from interested, to buyer?
How did this company get started?

As a consumer, you need a producer to deliver your needs. That's how you start looking at this from a new perspective.

Instead of just blindly thinking about the meal you're eating, think about how it was prepared. Start thinking like a chef.
This sounds like a good mental habit to have, like a mental exercise every time I consider buying something, except I'm gonna go out of my way and try to research 5 things I'm interested in minimum every day so I build up the habit at looking at things this way
Stop making excuses. There's opportunity everywhere. You are just being lazy as hell and have it better than 99% of the world considering you have better English than half of actual native English speakers and living in a rich, European 1st world country.

Ok that's a ridiculously good idea and that almost makes me want to kick myself for not even having the idea pass through my head. Honestly whenever I think of myself I usually always think that the only redeeming quality in terms of skills that I have is my ability to speak and write English but my thoughts always end up wandering to a "why bother when there's language schools in every block".
You mention "ideas" a couple of times, and say you're focused around "me me me".

I think looking for ideas is why you're "completely blind to the needs of others".

It sounds to me like you're not "seeing" other people.

We make sure our kids say thanks when the waitress takes our order, and when they bring the order. We make sure they say thanks when the shop-keeper gives them their sweets and change.

It's a safe first way for them to get over their shyness and speak up since it's almost guaranteed to get a positive reaction.

They're starting to learn the power of giving, and the effect they can have on other people by giving them something (in this case something as simple as a "thank you").

Unbeknownst to them it's slowly moving them from team consumer to team producer.

You joined about 10 days ago and have posted 9 times, mostly in your own thread.

Have you read any other threads? Did any of them help you? Did any give you aha moments?

Did you drop a Like when something helped you? Did you reply saying "Thanks" and explaining how it helped you?

This might help:
This one got me paralyzed for a while, definitely shook me up but completely illustrates one of the issues I do have, while giving me a direct solution (Go out of my way to give thanks -> give value to someone else -> improve that person's life and get rewarded with a more producer-oriented vision of the world).

I've always been the kind of person that says good morning/afternoon and thank you when I leave, but it's more of a unconscious reflex and less of a thing that I think about, this advice is invaluable and I'm actually gonna try to go out of my way to thank people especially on the internet, I have very much this lurker mentality of finding, consuming, and then leaving when it comes to online platforms, probably due to the enhanced anonymity of the platform but that doesn't matter, that just makes it even more worthwhile.

So I'll start now in order:
Thanks MJ for giving me an actionable "mind game" that I can do every day (and will, I can't just read it and then do nothing about it or I'll never get anywhere), and always standing up for your ideas and life experiences.
Thanks btcx for the really good idea and giving me a metaphorical slap in the face to help me get past this roadblock.
And thanks Andy for completely changing my point of view and simultaneously giving me an amazingly good habit, nothing helps the world more than being thankful for those who provide for you

Of course for now this is literally all talk, but these things do help me step by step into getting where I want, not necessarily being a money thing but as a person as well.

dafangcoach

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 23, 2022
Taiwan

They're starting to learn the power of giving, and the effect they can have on other people by giving them something (in this case something as simple as a "thank you").

Unbeknownst to them it's slowly moving them from team consumer to team producer.

This might help:

great advice that even i, a new member, benefited too! thanks!

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia

I guess now that you're aware ideas will start coming to you. Now that youre conscious and you know what to look for it will start forming. But hey if you're currently employed maybe networking with other people, joining social clubs, just opening your ears, searching social media e.g. #complain (beware theres heaps) would give you a starting ground?

Who knows, maybe one day you decide to move out of your state, area and look for another location wherw opportunities is vast. But again, the internet is a powerful tool.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

This might help:
Thank you for giving us great advices every time

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
I guess now that you're aware ideas will start coming to you. Now that youre conscious and you know what to look for it will start forming. But hey if you're currently employed maybe networking with other people, joining social clubs, just opening your ears, searching social media e.g. #complain (beware theres heaps) would give you a starting ground?

Who knows, maybe one day you decide to move out of your state, area and look for another location wherw opportunities is vast. But again, the internet is a powerful tool.
I'm currently in college studying but there is potential in networking, not much in my class but in the entire school.
Though that #complain social media tag sounds like a gold mine of information, even if it's probably full of things that aren't very fixable.

Right now if I'm gonna move anywhere it's probably gonna be another country instead, because Portugal in terms of opportunities is a bit lackluster.

Thanks for the actionable ideas though!

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Chaque fois que je poste, je me sens ignorant et stupide, car j'ai l'impression qu'il y a une sorte d'information ou d'action qui est évidente pour les autres mais dont je suis complètement inconscient.

J'ai vu que la valeur est la voie vers tout type de succès, et que le but n'est pas de gagner de l'argent mais d'aider, de fournir aux autres, mais je suis complètement aveugle aux besoins des autres.

J'ai vécu toute ma vie en tant que consommateur inconditionnel, tout est centré autour de moi, moi, et je n'ai aucune idée de comment sortir de cet état d'esprit, commencer à regarder les autres et voir des idées et des moyens de soulager les gens de leurs douleurs .

Même ce message pourrait être considéré comme un autre coup de fouet à l'état d'esprit des consommateurs, mais sachant que c'est le cas, je reste toujours aveuglé.

J'ai essayé quelque chose et je vais continuer, car cela apporte en quelque sorte de la valeur, mais la quantité de valeur qu'il fournit est si minuscule et a très peu d'hypothèses de mise à l'échelle réelle qu'à ce stade, c'est juste quelque chose que je ' je fais pour dire que je fais, mais le fait est que je reviendrai à la même chose en disant "oh je ne sais pas comment apporter de la valeur" ou "je n'ai pas d'idées" ou l'une des mille autres excuses que je pourrais trouver.

J'ai quelques idées sur des choses passées que je pourrais faire, mais toutes semblent être des choses qui ne s'appliquent pas dans mon pays, il n'y a pas de pelouse à nettoyer, pas de ventes de garage à retourner ou toute autre chose, mais la chose est si je continue à demander des idées, je ne fais qu'aider les symptômes et ne résout pas le problème sous-jacent.
As others have said, ideas are yours to find in the people you meet, the places you go, the complaints from those around you, the books you read and the personal development videos you you follow.

for example me, I had an idea that could create passive income every month.when my colleagues can't last until the end of the month, they often want to borrow money and they are ready to reimburse me 15% of it if I manage to lend it to them. that would mean that if I had a large enough balance, I could do it and receive income without iteffort every month.imagine that I manage to lend 10,000 FI to 10 people, I would have 15,000 F to take away at the end of the month.

I could also start from this idea to create an agency (microfinance structure).

yet another example, here this forum there are plenty of ideas. if I take for example myself my arrival here on this forum, the true Entrepreneurs (those who have a good state of mind of entrepreneurship) seized many opportunities.

now, if you want to think like a producer and you don't know where to start, start with the questions dad MJ asked himself in his answer above when you want to pay something. if a little fuzzy, you have to read TGRE I believe he explained it well in his book unscripted in chapter 23.

hope this helps.

PS: I am a consumer, I seek to reverse trends to become a producer..

Last edited:

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
Comme les autres l'ont dit, les idées, c'est à vous de les trouver dans les gens que vous rencontrez, les endroits où vous allez, les plaintes de votre entourage, les livres que vous lisez et les vidéos de développement personnel que vous suivez.

par exemple moi, j'ai eu une idée qui pourrait créer des revenus passifs tous les mois. Quand mes collègues ne peuvent tenir jusqu'à la fin du mois, ils veulent souvent emprunter de l'argent et ils sont prêts à me rembourser 15% de ce dernier si j'arrive à le leur prêter. cela signifierait que si j'avais un solde suffisamment important, je pourrais le faire et recevoir un revenu sans effort chaque mois. Imaginez que j'arrive à prêter 10 000 FI à 10 personnes, j'aurais 15 000 F à emporter à la fin du mois.
Je pourrais aussi partir de cette idée pour créer une agence (structure de microfinance).

Yet another example, here this forum there are plenty of ideas. if I take for example myself my arrival here on this forum, the true Entrepreneurs (those who have a good state of mind of entrepreneurship) seized many opportunities.

Now, if you want to think like a producer and you don't know where to start, start with the questions dad MJ asked himself in his answer above when you want to pay something. if a little fuzzy, you have to read unscript I believe he explained it well in his book unscripted in chapter 23.

hope this helps.
PS: I am a consumer, I seek to reverse trends to become a producer..
Pretty valuable idea, I guess one of my issues is really not having much of a life, I got my school life and my uni friends but when it comes down to it, professionally I have nothing.

Thanks for the point of view!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.