The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did YOU find "Fastlane"?

Camaro68

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Mar 16, 2017
Twin Cities, MN
I found MFL randomly searching for business ideas, Google brought me here and I never left.

Here's whats comical to me. Goodwill in our area used to offer 10 books for $1.99, that's right .20 a book on certain days. I would go there on those days and buy piles of books and read them all. Anything to do with business, accounting, stocks, investing etc. Anything I could get my hands on. I can never read enough or learn enough, I want to know it all. Several times at Goodwill I remember seeing MFL on the shelf and never picked it up because I dismissed it as a get rich quick book that someone sold appealing to suckers. I never even cracked the book open, I based my decision off the title alone. I have a bookcase FULL of books from all the greats and have provided myself a valuable "education" for pennies in comparison to my undergrad and grad school degrees but the irony of it is that the one book that I remember seeing and dismissed, ended up being the book that I was curious about after finding this forum and has made the largest impact on my business endeavors! After finding the website I actually went online and ordered the book, paying full price for a new copy haha (Goodwill no longer offers the deals and they didn't have any copies when I looked). Talk about irony.

I like the writing style and the mindset change that occurred in me after I read it. I cant say that about many books. There are many that I have read that have great info, but none of them impacted me the way MFL did.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't know why, but I remember this pretty vividly. I was golfing with @SteveO and while we are putting on a green he said to me, MJ is starting his own forum because nobody no longer goes to the RDPD forum.

I was among the first few signups on the forum. I may have posted the first Non-MJ post on the forum and called it "first post".

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/first-post.4/

It was already known that he was starting this and it came at a good time. We had our annual get together with friend and forum attendees at the rich dad headquarters in Scottsdale. RK called us a bunch of losers when he came to talk to us. I was amused but others were pissed.

He basically chased away many people that were helping his forum.

Last edited:

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
This will be a bit long winded but I think it's pertinent to the story.
I got laid off from my job in 2009 and was laid off for a full year. I was 25 years old and broke with two kids under the age of 5. About 6 months in the electric got shut off in our apartment, it was early December in Michigan and we had no heat. I called a friend to borrow $300 to get the electric turned back on and after I paid him back my entire unemployment check the next week we needed food. My wife and I got my kid's piggy bank and emptied it to get the $12 dollars inside for a few days of spaghetti. I consider this the lowest part of my life. After not being able to find work for a year and collecting unemployment I finally got called back to work and was feeling blessed. I worked hours upon hours to make money and eventually signed over to a position that was intensely stressful both mentally and physically. I remember after a few years of working constantly I looked at my kids and didn't recognize them; they grew up right before my eyes and I was gone so much that I didn't recognize it until it was too late.
I thought there had to be another way so I decided to go back to college to get a better higher paying job in Human Resources because naturally college was the answer.
So I did. I took 6 semesters of college and was again busy all day every day. I was either working a 12 hour day or going to class or doing homework. Life was non-existent.
I ended up being promoted to the 3rd shift lead of my department and still performed my regular job and then some.
I remember making $90,000 that year, which was the most I'd ever made in my life. I was 28 years old and we decided to buy a house. About two years later I took a look at my mortgage statement and studied the breakdown. My payment was $760/mo and I was paying like $300 ish to escrow, $200 ish to interest and $138 toward principle!! I remember that exact number because I got instantly pissed that I was going nowhere and made the decision to pay my house off in a few years so I began to research. Aaannndddd found Dave Ramsey.
We lived the frugal life for a solid year and I stopped going to school because I was burnt out and just couldn't keep up that lifestyle any longer. We paid all our debt off minus the house and even took a small vacation.
The frugal thing was working slowly but surely and I was making more than ever. College whet the whistle of learning though so I continued to read books. The heavy majority was about finance and how to get rich. It started with Total money makeover then the Richest man in Babylon and Rich Dad poor Dad. Then I came across a book that really got me thinking. Secrets of the Millionaire mind by T. Harv Ecker on audiobook. I loved it! And it was my initial introduction to entrepreneurship. I came from a long distinguished line of foundry workers and no body I've ever known that was family or close friend ever owned a business.
Once I finished that book I NEEDED more!
Whilst at Barnes and Noble I was scouring reviews of "Get rich books" and TMF was highly ranked amongst most of them.
I read the title and intitially thought, "sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me".
After a few days of looking I listened to the sample of the audiobook. MJ's voice was captivating! There's something about listening to the author read his own book that you can hear the truth in their voice because it was his own life he was talking about.
His story resonated with me. We both grew up with shitty weather. I was also a fat kid growing up etc. the list of parallels was uncanny.
It's as if MJ himself flew 3 hours from Arizona to Michigan to personally bitch slap me and kick me in tha balls. (Thanks MJ)
So that's how I found my new mindset. The fastlane and ultimately the UNSCRIPTED life.
What really stopped me dead in my tracks was I realized the gurus paradox of practice. It was a switch in my mind because up to that point I was blindly following that path without ever considering if that path would ACTUALLY route to real wealth and freedom. After that I was converted.
Now I'm on my way to an UNSCRIPTED life and I just learned literally less than 10 minutes before I wrote this that terms of the sale of our house was accepted and we are netting about $65k on it with zero debt and are relocating to DFW area.
Talk about making an impact. One book!! One book changed everything.

Last edited:

Inventor001

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 6, 2020
I was thinking about it and I got curious as to how people here found this forum and/or this book.

I found it due to a review of The Millionaire Fastlane that Abdul (mohammedabshaun on YouTube) did, which I found from a video response to one of Abdul's videos by Moses McCormick (laoshu505000 on YouTube, a language-learning channel). I thought it was funny that MJ borrowed the term "Fastlane" from Kiyosaki (Rich Dad/Cashflow game), who was also pretty inspirational. Read RDPD some years ago; found it in my parents' bookcase, along with Think and Grow Rich, the Art of the Deal, The Intelligent Investor and some Suze Orman books.

How did YOU guys find "Fastlane"?
I was thinking about it and I got curious as to how people here found this forum and/or this book.

I found it due to a review of The Millionaire Fastlane that Abdul (mohammedabshaun on YouTube) did, which I found from a video response to one of Abdul's videos by Moses McCormick (laoshu505000 on YouTube, a language-learning channel). I thought it was funny that MJ borrowed the term "Fastlane" from Kiyosaki (Rich Dad/Cashflow game), who was also pretty inspirational. Read RDPD some years ago; found it in my parents' bookcase, along with Think and Grow Rich, the Art of the Deal, The Intelligent Investor and some Suze Orman books.

on a discover option in anybooks app

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow. I didn’t realise this thread was started in 2012.

I wonder how many people have found this forum after searching for Tai Lopez, or seeing Valier’s videos on YouTube?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Wow. I didn’t realise this thread was started in 2012.

I wonder how many people have found this forum after searching for Tai Lopez, or seeing Valier’s videos on YouTube?

I forgot that I was the one who started this thread.

A lot has changed since 2012. Still far from where I want to be, but so much closer than I was then.

I almost forgot about that channel that sent me to MJ's book. It hasn't been active in over a year. The guy got a divorce, which likely hurt his business. He became known for being an "extreme cheapskate". It's unfortunate that he went the way he did. Back in 2011 and 2012 I was watching him for financial advice, but I eventually came to the conclusion that he wasn't the guy to listen to. He still isn't. What a shame.

He did do one good thing for me: his interview with MJ led me here.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I’ve shared this on the forum before, must have been on a different thread.

First IPhone I had, I’d downloaded tapatalk to use a sporting forum I was a member of. Was searching for property investment forums and entrepreneur forums. Came across this one, and for months I would read the threads almost every day, but had no idea there was a book behind it, so anytime Fastlane principles was referenced I figured it was some sort of inside joke that the members were in on.

Was only after I finally checked out the forum on a desktop it all made sense, bought the book and signed up. I was probably a tapatalk lurker for at least 6 months, the progress threads in particular were what made me keep coming back despite these Fastlane inside jokes which I didn’t understand :happy:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
My dad was reading Brian Tracey & RDPD after quitting his 28 year bank job when his property empire started earning him good money.

I was at my uncles house at Christmas and he was showing my Dad MJ's book but he was busy organizing food, presents, work etc that he didn't have the time to start reading it immediately. I spent a few hours reading and then gave the book back when it was time to go home.

When I got back home I may or may not have found it online :0 and read the entire book in one sitting. I was 14 at the time so I had no money, very little confidence or control of my own life. Discovered the forum from the information listed at the end of the book and signed up.

22 years old now. Went from Ireland to the summit in Phoenix and met so many cool people including MJ. Paid for the trip with money from my Fastlane business.

Can't wait to see where I'll be in another 8 years time. I have it all planned out in my 3-5-10 year plans.

Thanks again MJ :)

* The most valuable part of the book for me was it gave me the confidence from age 15-18 to earn money online by myself while my parents property empire crashed all around us. It was a super rough time but optimism/action gets you through!

Bella

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 19, 2020
I learned about the Fastlane forum through MJ's book, which was suggested by James Jani on his YouTube channel. I'm not through TMF yet, but I'm really enjoying and learning so far.
Good Lord! I was just about to start replying to this trend when I came across yours. I also learnt about the fastlane forum from Mj himself in the book TMF (Awesome read if you ask me). The real reason I even bothered buying his book in the first place? A YouTuber who goes by the name James Jani. I watched one of his numerous videos titled "The Untold Truths About Money" which he, of course, said was heavily inspired by MJ DeMarco. One thing that stuck with me was the first few seconds into the video. To tune down a bit of your curiosity here's the illustration he used:- Let's assume this dot(.) represents $1million. That simply means $10million will be (..........). Moving this forward a $100million dollars will be (....................................................................................................). Fast forward and $1billion dollars will be (....................................................................................................................................................... Okay there are too many dots involved so I will just stop). Bottom line of all this? He typed out an overwhelming amount of dots and then multiplied that by about 117. That right there represents the networth of the richest man in the world. Beyond staggering. There is no way in hell I am going to settle for less when I can live the kind of life I want. No Way!

Last edited:

Anastasia Kam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 15, 2020
I found out about TFM from an ex-boyfriend. He was a heavy reader on a lot of subjects but especially economics that he was/is working on going to a 'fastlane' life and mindset. So, after reading quite a lot of books recommended from some youtubers I watched about wealth ( Rich Dad Poor Dad, Richest man in Babylon, Secrets of the Millionaire Mind, Think and Grow Rich -an old read) I decided to try TFM ( confusing title, not very 'read for quality' convincing ). Best desision ever! A smack in the face to wake up, gave me reality shocks and much much needed new knowledge, connecting dots in my not so mathematical/economy driven mind ( in the right sense of economy with all its' human factors, consumption-production 'being' ) and shouting to the crowd about the 'wealth guru experts' : 'The King is Naked!' . But I valued it most of all for it gave me purpose. Again. Like the one I had when I was still a student. And the energy, optimism, personal fulfilment through purpose, through giving value to the world is what I cherish the most and am so so grateful.

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020
I found it through James jani’s amazing video that is based off of TMF :) so thankful it showed up in my recommended videos :)

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
My dad actually introduced the concept to me. Didn't want me to get stuck like he did. Now we're both trying to claw our way out.

christyanderson

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 7, 2020

Looking for entrepreneur books to listen to on Audible before going for a run.

Robbi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 18, 2020
Saw MJ's name mentioned on the James Jani Youtube channel, and being a consumer of various financial/entrepreneur books (mostly of the slower lane variety), I thought I would give it a go. Safe to say, I'm glad I did!

Jasper S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2020
Chicagoland Area
Searching Audible for another entrepreneurship book to listen to. Read the reviews between TMF and Unscripted and decided to go with Unscripted . After finishing Unscripted I immediately listened to TMF and Wealth Expo$ed.

I haven't felt the need to listen to another book specifically based on entrepreneurship after listening to TMF and Unscripted .

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Funny I was just the other day thinking whether a thread that asked this very question existed.

I was informed at two points. First time was by a friend from another type of forum, who told me about this forum and the book, but I did not really pay either any mind at the time.

A few years later, I chose to visit the forums due to a soundcloud recording I listened to a lot mentioning it. I was a few months from leaving my job so I figured I'd join and read the book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...