The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding Purpose - how did you do it? If not, let’s find out!

For any book discussion

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
We all know the MJs books has led all of us to take action. It exposes the truth. The reality to our daily actions.

However purpose is a category on its own. Making money may seem like purpose - but it isn’t - money is a token towards fulfilling that purpose - not in all cases though.

Have you found your purpose?

Do you recommend any books related towards purpose?

Did you look up to a person regarding your purpose?

Did your purpose just click?

I must stress to not mention books, programmes that talk about other things. Only purpose please.

Peace be upon you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
We all know the MJs books has led all of us to take action. It exposes the truth. The reality to our daily actions.

However purpose is a category on its own. Making money may seem like purpose - but it isn’t - money is a token towards fulfilling that purpose - not in all cases though.

I must stress to not mention books, programmes that talk about other things. Only purpose please.

Peace be upon you all.
Want to know the same thing as you. I haven't found my 'one deep purpose', but maybe some 'reasons' to make money. One of them being moving out into a better country. It require a lot of money if you ask me. Kinda envy people who've had their FTE and sorted out their purpose. Well maybe my 15 years of existence has been too comfortable (living with parents, they take care of everything) for me to find my purpose.

One analogy that I liked that kinda puts the pressure off from finding your ultimate purpose is comparing purpose to different layers of an onion. The ultimate deep purpose is the deepest layer of your onion. You won't get there unless you peel away the other layers, and those are 'purposes' too. You cant skip any of them. Passing college, making your first sale, etc are all such layers of purpose. After completing each layer of purpose, you kinda feel good momentarily, but your mind goes towards the next purpose. At least thats how i think about it nowadays. For me , it helps in putting more effort and sincerity to the next milestone I have to achieve, because only then will I get on to the next layer. "how you do one thing is how you do everything"

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You don’t find it, you choose it, sort of.

A good place to start is thinking of the things you enjoy and the values those things represent. Example, I like playing guitar, because it’s creative, it’s challenging, the composition side is complex and logical.

If you don’t know what you enjoy, then you have to start trying things out and keep a note of what you like and dislike, and why you like and dislike. Example, you might dislike learning coding not because you dislike coding, but because you’re new and aren’t very good. Often we enjoy things we excel at, which takes time to develop.

Once you’ve tried some stuff out you get a better idea of who you are and can choose a direction for yourself.

Making a Fastlane business and your purpose might be different things. Example, if your purpose is to save street cats, making a business that creates wealth and opening a shelter is going to be 1000x more effective than having 50 cats in your flat.

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Want to know the same thing as you. I haven't found my 'one deep purpose', but maybe some 'reasons' to make money. One of them being moving out into a better country. It require a lot of money if you ask me. Kinda envy people who've had their FTE and sorted out their purpose. Well maybe my 15 years of existence has been too comfortable (living with parents, they take care of everything) for me to find my purpose.

One analogy that I liked that kinda puts the pressure off from finding your ultimate purpose is comparing purpose to different layers of an onion. The ultimate deep purpose is the deepest layer of your onion. You won't get there unless you peel away the other layers, and those are 'purposes' too. You cant skip any of them. Passing college, making your first sale, etc are all such layers of purpose. After completing each layer of purpose, you kinda feel good momentarily, but your mind goes towards the next purpose. At least thats how i think about it nowadays. For me , it helps in putting more effort and sincerity to the next milestone I have to achieve, because only then will I get on to the next layer. "how you do one thing is how you do everything"
Hamza mentions that on YouTube- nice

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Find your wife, marry her, have kids. I promise you, you will find your purpose.

On the chance that doesn't intrest you, finding purpose in life generally stems from helping other people or things that need help.

Examples of people who have found meaning in their life:
- Husband's + wives who have kids = Need to take care of family and help raise children
- Animal Activists = Trying to save animals
- Climate Activists = Trying to save the planet
- Social Workers = Helping people in need who don't have the means to help themselves independently

When I was in high school, I finally found my purpose when I worked with intellectually disabled people. It was quite rewarding as it was the first time I truely found a purpose that was not self centering.

WanderWool

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Sep 6, 2021
I think that there are 2 parts to “finding” purpose in life. (1) The life experiences that we accumulate and (2) the meaning that we choose to make out of said life experiences. Seems to me that some people have many life experiences but choose to not make meaningful interpretations of their life experiences, thus, their life may seem to them to be meaningless.

I’ve found that so far, life purpose is something that I can intentionally develop and deepen over my life - I used to want to work in law enforcement due to some childhood trauma that I experienced - I simply wanted to protect the people around me. That was my life purpose.

Today, my life purpose revolves around much more than wanting to work in law enforcement - to me, purpose is not about what I do, but more about who I want to serve.

Kavin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 28, 2023
Dubai

Peace be upon you all.
well purpose is kind of like a thing which you want to do in life like create a change in the world. My purpose in life(idk if its my purpose but most probably it is)

the purpose i feel like in my life is to educate people about this great Fastlane and and tell them the lies they have been told ,well this is just one thing. ill recommend you to create a bucket list what you wanna do in life and maybe dig a little deeper into it and you will find a purpose.

well ill wish you good luck in your journey

peace

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020

Peace be upon you all.
Sometimes the dots connect backwards instead of forward.

You fix a goal in mind. Then start smashing every odd that life throws at you. One after the another.

One day you wake up and start seeing things that were invisible to you. Your purpose finds you, not the other way around.

Read a million books until you gauge your eyes out. Or start attacking odds in your life RIGHT NOW. What can you do today, in one year, five years, ten years to make YOUR life better than it is now? Stop thinking charity. Become selfish. Until selflessness takes over. There's no shortage of people whose own lives are a mess trying to do charity. Maybe first clean up your room and your house before you are qualified to help other people.

And you know what. Cleaning your own mess will FORCE you to do something productive. BUT IT STARTS WITH YOU.

Start with the purpose to be a hero onto yourself.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
The success rate of marriages these days is not in your favor. Divorces, spousal and child support are messy affairs.

I would advice CAUTION. But you do you.
If this is peoples opinion, society is doomed.

The success of marriage is entirely in your favor if you act for what is best for the family unit and not what is only best for yourself. To many people these days are so self-absorbed. Most marriages can be boiled down to this. It is true that it could be the other person who is to self absorbed.

You're job is to find someone who is a good fit and is not self absorbed. Someone who cheats is self-absorbed with their own needs and not the needs of those who count on him or her.

Try and be unmarried your whole life. Have no wife, no kids, no legacy. Try finding purpose in life when you know there is no person who is depending on you(your kids) to make the world a better place.

Talk about depressing, never mind a lack of purpose.

Edit: Correcting typos

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 26, 2023

Peace be upon you all.

The purpose of life - a very confusing concept for me!

I started thinking about it some 3 decades ago and I am still thinking about it. Probably I will figure it out in the next decade or so ..

Meanwhile I started a business 2 decades ago and now I have 3 businesses, 1 house and 1 debt. I have travelled half the distance for my first multi-million goal and lived some most cherished moments along the line.

I think I will be able to think more clearly about the purpose of my existence after I have achieved full financial freedom ..

.. or Probably after my retirement, after a few drinks .. this "Purpose" of my life will reveal itself to me ..

because then my brain will be free from reoccurring thoughts and questions about "increasing production capacity during this season?" or "selling my product in other unexplored markets during off season" ..

The brain with no work worries, will be a luxury that I will enjoy after retirement and then, I will definitely think seriously about the Purpose of my Life!

Regards!

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020

The success of marriage is entirely in your favor if you act for what is best for the family unit and not what is only best for yourself. To many people these days are so self-absorbed. Most marriages can be boiled down to this. It is true that it could be the other person who is to self absorbed.

You're job is to find someone who is a good fit and is not self absorbed. Someone who cheats is self-absorbed with their own needs and not the needs of those who count on him or her.

Try and be unmarried your whole life. Have no wife, no kids, no legacy. Try finding purpose in life when you know there is no person who is depending on you(your kids) to make the world a better place.

Talk about depressing, never mind a lack of purpose.

Edit: Correcting typos
I respect your opinion. And I will give my life to defend your right to speak what's on your mind. So I hope you'll give me the opportunity to hold an intelligent dialogue without negativity arising when you find our viewpoints are at odds.

Yes Sir. Society IS doomed. If we say that marriage rate is an indicator of the health of the society. Facts: Over the last 50 years, the marriage rate in the U.S. has dropped by nearly 60%. And its dropping every year, not rising.

The thing is that human beings are not static. What appealed to you at 20 might be repulsive at 50 and vice versa. People's values change overtime as well. You might have valued money at 18 when you were broke, but now that you're wealthy you might value helping other people more. Values shift and people evolve, but that evolution cannot be pre determined or controlled. Sexuality shifts too. One might get married at 25 only to rediscover in the closet that they are not vanilla and their sexuality doesn't fit the pre-determined mold the society gives them. When such shifts happen, suddenly those vows you said at the church turn into chains overnight.

People change. Sometimes change is good for the health of the marriage. But sometimes people change in ways that are diametrically opposite to the evolution of their partners. Then comes the talk of an "Open Marriage" because sometimes those lives are so intervened that a divorce will F*ck the lives of their innocent children that no partner wants. Open Marriages and Polygamy is on the rise for a reason. Then one partner falls in love with someone they met out of their marriage. Some choose to cut the chords at that point and havoc ensues, others stay but suffocate. It comes down to choosing between your own happiness and needs vs this artificial creation based in this hyperreality called marriage.

I am not saying that YOUR marriage is bound to fail. I hope it never does and wish you the best.

BUT The odds of getting married nowadays and hoping it will last forever is akin to a Cinderella style fairytale or believing in Santa. Or going around having unprotected intercourse with strangers and hoping those strangers are not lying when they tell you they are clean.

Society nowadays encourages divorce with sublingual messaging. And people have OPTIONS that they wouldn't have dreamt 50 years ago. Sometimes choosing a new partner is as easy as getting a pizza, and its being made easier everyday.
Marriage is a relic of an old past when women needed to be protected and provided for and the men needed their needs to be met, and both wanted children because it was socially unacceptable to have no kids.

Morality has changed. Social values have shifted. Its completely acceptable these days to do whatever the F you want. Its not worth the drama anymore.

And as far as legacies are concerned, there are other ways to do it without having children. Making a kid for the purpose of fulfilling your ego's desire of having a legacy is one of the most f*cked up reasons to have a kid. Maybe starting an orphanage, protecting a wildlife reserve, planting a million trees, and starting organizations around them. All of those things will stand the test of time and will be there after you're gone. Tom Bilyeu, for instance is a billionaire who chose not to have kids, yet you can't dispute that he hasn't built a massive legacy already with his companies that affect change in society.

And by the way, all this legacy stuff is nonsense anyway. Because A) It is about identification with the body. Unless you dont believe in an intelligent universe of life after death. And B) Everything dies one day. Everything is forgotten. The Marcus Crassuses, Caesars, Ptolemeys, Napoleons, Alexanders bloodlines are not remembered. What we remember is the deeds they did. That is what remains if you're lucky. And 99.9999% of people will be forgotten in the next 100 years. What remains after 10,000 years? And one day the Big Bang will reverse course and the Universe will implode again into the nothingness it came from. What is there to hold on to? Is living your entire life centered around this idea of "your name" lasting worth it?

Is freedom worth the sacrifice?

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 26, 2023
I am a pretty old school kind of person and complicated issues simply hurt my small brain.

So, these are my opinions, not judgements, as I felt intrigued by some "thoughts" you both fantastic gentlemen put forward. So please consider them as just my opinion and not a contradiction to your beliefs!

Yes Sir. Society IS doomed.

Whenever I see, the 'pronouns' becoming the part of the society, I partially agree with you!

Whenever I see Mr. Tate gaining followers to seek his advice on relationships, I totally believe in the doom of society!

to make the world a better place.
It was my wet dream during my age of raging hormones, to become a billionaire and tell the world that I did it because I believed in making the world in better place ( after I have used child labor, broken a million health regulations and bribed several politicians in 3rd world country to get my product at most affordable price!)

This is still my wet dream, though I don't practice any of these activities. Morality is a curse!

The success of marriage is entirely in your favor.

BUT The odds of getting married nowadays and hoping it will last forever is akin to a Cinderella style fairytale or believing in Santa.

I firmly believe in a shotgun over courts, if I find my wife cheating.
She believes in poison over courts, if she finds me cheating ..

and we both know it ..

so we communicate our hearts and brains out, sometimes sh*t clicks, sometimes we compromise .. hence we are happily married for almost a decade!

Jokes apart, you have to make a marriage work. It was my choice to marry her, so I need to stand by my promise! She believes in the same. Thanks to communication between us!

4. Legacy ! This is what totally intrigued me! I want to share my opinion, just that's all. Afterwards, everyone gets a free pass to hate me!

And as far as legacies are concerned, there are other ways to do it without having children.

Since I come from extreme poverty, where I have been denied education by educational institutions, who believe in impacting the society, because my dad couldn't pay their full fee with *late fee* charges, I fairly know the value of every single penny!

Now, my kids, though they are too young, but smart enough to melt my heart into buying them the best chocolates that they want because their dad can afford it ..

If I handover, whatever petty pile of coins that I make in my entire life, to them, these little rats are eventually going to spend them on their Beach/Yacht parties, probably drugs and illicit partners, and one day after losing everything, probably cuss me for NOT providing them with enough .. I do NOT count the petty wealth I would accumulate in my journey as a "Legacy".

I want to make sure, these little naughty brats enjoy their early years, as they can't read and write yet, but I am damn sure, they will read MJ's books years before school introduces Shakespeare to them!
They will learn how my business works the day they turn a teenager!
I will make sure, they work at least 3 years on the floor, and their salary will be their pocket money for the entire year!
I will make sure they understand and become pro at how stock market works at least 2 years before they reach college.
I will make sure to expand their frigging minds beyond their imagination!
I will make sure to starve them and I will make sure to turn them into hungry beasts!

and I will make sure, they get the discipline they should.

Then, I will give them some million coins each, and, upon this world, I will let loose, my 'Little Brats' of War!

This is my sense of legacy!

And they will hate me for destroying their childhood.
But I don't care.
They will eventually hate me!
And I believe its better that they hate me for turning them into frigging unicorns, than they hating me for not leaving enough $$ for their unaffordable narcotics!

This is my opinion! My fractured Mindset!

And now everyone is entitled to hate me for the same!

Regards and Peace!

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
Whenever I see, the 'pronouns' becoming the part of the society, I partially agree with you!

Whenever I see Mr. Tate gaining followers to seek his advice on relationships, I totally believe in the doom of society!
Its F*cked.
Morality is a curse!
Society's morality is a curse. The morality that comes from within when no one's watching is not.

Legacy ! This is what totally intrigued me! I want to share my opinion, just that's all. Afterwards, everyone gets a free pass to hate me!
No one hates you. Its all in your head.
I, for one, LOVED everything you said and I admire and share your courage to say as it is without the cuddling and sugarcoating involved.

Keep talking man!
This is my opinion! My fractured Mindset!
And now everyone is entitled to hate me for the same!
I LOVE you for saying what you said. Keep Talking! Enough with these little entitled pieces of shit running around crying about how bad it is when those narcotics run out!

Last edited:

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
I love how so many of you engaged with my question. Thank you.

Also, interesting wifey discussion going on. I think overlooking at data is just looking at averages. Whether you are a male or female. We can agree we ain’t average here - just do your thing and place the rest to God.

ions

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 26, 2012
I have been contemplating this a lot recently after experiencing most things I wanted to experience in life. For example I lived on a tropical island in Thailand during Covid which was one of my dreams.

I don't think purpose can be found in this reality; it must be based on something that transcends this realm. In my opinion, eventually you come to the conclusion that nothing in this reality can satisfy you entirely and you need to serve others and a higher power.

The reason I think a higher power is necessary is because everything in this reality can potentially disappoint you including serving others. Suppose you make your family your purpose as one of the posters mentions above. What if your family dies, what will be your purpose then?

I personally am currently not satisfied with any of the world religions but some of my family members have found great peace and strength in them and I think ultimately we need to believe in something that transcends this reality.

When you are young the worldly goals are probably enough without a Higher Power but at some point to have a healthy mind we need to believe in a benevolent creator and that there is a reason for this realm.

Based on my experience, having a belief system that can sustain a purpose under any circumstances is more valuable than money and retiring early.

Last edited:

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
I respect your opinion. And I will give my life to defend your right to speak what's on your mind. So I hope you'll give me the opportunity to hold an intelligent dialogue without negativity arising when you find our viewpoints are at odds.

Yes Sir. Society IS doomed. If we say that marriage rate is an indicator of the health of the society. Facts: Over the last 50 years, the marriage rate in the U.S. has dropped by nearly 60%. And its dropping every year, not rising.

The thing is that human beings are not static. What appealed to you at 20 might be repulsive at 50 and vice versa. People's values change overtime as well. You might have valued money at 18 when you were broke, but now that you're wealthy you might value helping other people more. Values shift and people evolve, but that evolution cannot be pre determined or controlled. Sexuality shifts too. One might get married at 25 only to rediscover in the closet that they are not vanilla and their sexuality doesn't fit the pre-determined mold the society gives them. When such shifts happen, suddenly those vows you said at the church turn into chains overnight.

People change. Sometimes change is good for the health of the marriage. But sometimes people change in ways that are diametrically opposite to the evolution of their partners. Then comes the talk of an "Open Marriage" because sometimes those lives are so intervened that a divorce will F*ck the lives of their innocent children that no partner wants. Open Marriages and Polygamy is on the rise for a reason. Then one partner falls in love with someone they met out of their marriage. Some choose to cut the chords at that point and havoc ensues, others stay but suffocate. It comes down to choosing between your own happiness and needs vs this artificial creation based in this hyperreality called marriage.

I am not saying that YOUR marriage is bound to fail. I hope it never does and wish you the best.

BUT The odds of getting married nowadays and hoping it will last forever is akin to a Cinderella style fairytale or believing in Santa. Or going around having unprotected intercourse with strangers and hoping those strangers are not lying when they tell you they are clean.

Society nowadays encourages divorce with sublingual messaging. And people have OPTIONS that they wouldn't have dreamt 50 years ago. Sometimes choosing a new partner is as easy as getting a pizza, and its being made easier everyday.
Marriage is a relic of an old past when women needed to be protected and provided for and the men needed their needs to be met, and both wanted children because it was socially unacceptable to have no kids.

Morality has changed. Social values have shifted. Its completely acceptable these days to do whatever the F you want. Its not worth the drama anymore.

And as far as legacies are concerned, there are other ways to do it without having children. Making a kid for the purpose of fulfilling your ego's desire of having a legacy is one of the most f*cked up reasons to have a kid. Maybe starting an orphanage, protecting a wildlife reserve, planting a million trees, and starting organizations around them. All of those things will stand the test of time and will be there after you're gone. Tom Bilyeu, for instance is a billionaire who chose not to have kids, yet you can't dispute that he hasn't built a massive legacy already with his companies that affect change in society.

And by the way, all this legacy stuff is nonsense anyway. Because A) It is about identification with the body. Unless you dont believe in an intelligent universe of life after death. And B) Everything dies one day. Everything is forgotten. The Marcus Crassuses, Caesars, Ptolemeys, Napoleons, Alexanders bloodlines are not remembered. What we remember is the deeds they did. That is what remains if you're lucky. And 99.9999% of people will be forgotten in the next 100 years. What remains after 10,000 years? And one day the Big Bang will reverse course and the Universe will implode again into the nothingness it came from. What is there to hold on to? Is living your entire life centered around this idea of "your name" lasting worth it?

Is freedom worth the sacrifice?
I ask myself that question a lot, you described the legacy problem very good. The purpose of life haunts me often since I began this journey. I read a lot about philosophy and so on but I´m really desperate. Especially since a couple days ago I googled "Nihilism" I got into that game again. Life is to me feeling like I movie, most of the time making things automatic, feeling like a robot.

I asked myself: "So, you now got your goal of getting an billionaire and can make your dreams come true and leave a huge legacy, you could even life till the end of universe if you can become from human to Robot at your age because (if science improves in my lifespan) but anyway you will die and its all over"

Since I turned away from the idea of god (like Nietzsche says: "God is dead" (just google)) my worldview imploded and I never got out of this repeated asking every year or half year.

Having no one to really speak about it is really frustrating (even most adults maybe not ask themselfes that question) but it is as it is.

Iron Wolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 18, 2024
As I got older my purpose changed massivly.

Just sit down and write down what you truly care about in 20 years from now. (feel free to adjust it yearly)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Peace be upon you all.
It took me many years to understand what it means to me.

Everything is a game.

Know the rules. Play it well. If you still lose despite the best effort, just learn to enjoy the process, because it is just a game.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.